PDA

View Full Version : 'Aeroplane Heaven' closing, but freeware stays available for now

Motormouse
July 26th, 2012, 01:20
Don't know if this has been posted before

Announcement here ------> http://www.aeroplaneheaven.com/

From what I read in other forums, Bazzar is staying as a payware developer tho, working for one of the publishing houses.

ttfn

Pete

hschuit
July 26th, 2012, 01:30
Yup, has been discussed (on the dark side of the house): http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?68940-Aeroplane-Heaven-closes-doors&highlight=aeroplane+heaven

Blackbird686
July 26th, 2012, 09:04
I noticed this a while back, when I went to re-download the Irish Spit 9-T. It'd been almost a month or so since then.

BB686:USA-flag:

Willy
July 26th, 2012, 09:49
I hate to hear this. Aeroplane Heaven has a long history with SOH. Their Spitfire XIX is still my favorite Spitfire.

I wish Baz and the guys at AH the best!

Jagdflieger
July 26th, 2012, 10:31
I think that my first payware aeroplane (for CFS 2) was from Aeroplane Heaven. Their FS 9 P-38 is probably one of my all time favorite sim aircraft.

Baz and his crew have always been great supporters of the Out-House and the flightsim community.

I wish them the best.

Blackbird686
July 26th, 2012, 12:17
Nice shots, Willy. I have that Griffon Spit Pack of their's too, but I'm partial to the "Whale Tail" variants. The last Spit was the F.24... pretty much a "Spitful" by that time. I have the demo of the AH P-38 only, but I'm flying all of those late model F4U Corsair "Hogs" with a big smile on me face! :mixedsmi:

Morton
July 28th, 2012, 07:55
By the way. New Battle of Britain skin package for the Aeroplane Heaven Spit MK1 here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?69436-Battle-of-Britain-Spitfire-Mk1-package

Morton

Jagdflieger
July 28th, 2012, 18:47
Thanks Morton!

hawkeye52
July 28th, 2012, 20:00
I searched the AH freeware site and could not find a Mk.I Spit.

Am I correct in assuming it was a PAYWARE offering which is no longer available?

- H52

Willy
July 28th, 2012, 21:08
I think it was part of their payware Spitfire packs. I've got them somewheres on a cd. The only one that I've kept installed was the Mk XIX.

hawkeye52
July 29th, 2012, 12:18
That's how I figured it, Willy. Thanks for the reply. :kilroy:

- H52

EMatheson
July 30th, 2012, 11:28
The mkI that is released for CFS2 is an old model, pre the Spitfire pack. I believe it dates from the old CFS2 and FS2002 BoB pack, which was released as freeware at one point...

pfflyers
July 30th, 2012, 16:54
Everything you need is in Morton's download, except a sound folder. Model, panel, gauges, and airfile, along with common textures are in the 'Common AC files' folder.

hawkeye52
July 30th, 2012, 16:59
WOW, PF!!!! Thank you for that tidbit. :salute::salute::icon29::guinness::medals:

Excellent timing! :icon_lol:

Not having the Mk.I, I was just getting ready to delete the skin pack.

- H52

Willy
July 30th, 2012, 17:48
I'm a bit concerned with this as the AH Spitfire packs are still available as payware from Just Flight.

EMatheson
July 30th, 2012, 19:56
I'm a bit concerned with this as the AH Spitfire packs are still available as payware from Just Flight.
Yes, but the old CFS2 Battle of Britain Pack isn't. The original AH Hurricane and BF-109E packs are excerpts from that pack. The Spitfire Mk.I that Morton is redistributing is of that vintage and is a much more simple model than the one in the Just Flight Spitfire packs.

stuartcox
July 31st, 2012, 01:36
Yes, but the old CFS2 Battle of Britain Pack isn't. The original AH Hurricane and BF-109E packs are excerpts from that pack. The Spitfire Mk.I that Morton is redistributing is of that vintage and is a much more simple model than the one in the Just Flight Spitfire packs.

Having seen the quality of these textures, I admit to having had my concerns too!
This is obviously the freeware CFS2 Spitfire! :-)
I have splashed out on the WOP and Real Air Spits, but admittedly this beets them all!
Though not a big fan of 'photoreal' paint jobs, these are just fantastic!
I want to fly them all at once :-)

Thanks Morton for this fabulous addition...:jump:

nigel richards
July 31st, 2012, 01:50
Having seen the quality of these textures, I admit to having had my concerns too!
This is obviously the freeware CFS2 Spitfire! :-)
I have splashed out on the WOP and Real Air Spits, but admittedly this beets them all!
Though not a big fan of 'photoreal' paint jobs, these are just fantastic!
I want to fly them all at once :-)

Thanks Morton for this fabulous addition...:jump:

Very nice set-up Stuart, mate!

Would this be the same Spit that Justflight were giving away with some of their payware models?

If so, I'm proudly sitting out there on the tarmac buddy, honoured to fly as your wingman.:jump:

stuartcox
July 31st, 2012, 02:43
Very nice set-up Stuart, mate!

Would this be the same Spit that Justflight were giving away with some of their payware models?

If so, I'm proudly sitting out there on the tarmac buddy, honoured to fly as your wingman.:jump:

Hey! Good to see you back Nigel!

This has been released as freeware by AH, I don't know about the JF publications.
Saying that, JF did give away an additional AH 'Mossie' with the old Lancaster package!
Whatever it might be, it's great! The new 2D cockpit compensates for the less than perfect 3D view. Nice to see a widescreen configuration, and not having 'egg shaped' gauges.
I'm only using a simple sound file, as it sounds like the most genuine and doesn't need any .air or .cfg alterations. (Copied from A.F.Scrub's Spit 7).

I would love to go on a sortie with you, patrolling Beachy Head - and dropping in to the 'Tiger' for a pint! :icon29:

nigel richards
July 31st, 2012, 03:02
Hey! Good to see you back Nigel!

This has been released as freeware by AH, I don't know about the JF publications.
Saying that, JF did give away an additional AH 'Mossie' with the old Lancaster package!

I would love to go on a sortie with you, patrolling Beachy Head - and dropping in to the 'Tiger' for a pint! :icon29:

Good to see you too buddy!

Lanc, Mossie...???...rotten sods didn't give me one...:icon_eek:

Beachy Head it is then!

Race yer to Rye, pick up a year's supply of the world's best brownies from an old cake shop there, then the pint's on me!:icon29::guinness:

...and a bottle of tizer for Matt when he turns up.:icon_lol:

Matt Wynn
July 31st, 2012, 03:06
anyone know where we can get this freeware Spit?

i have the JF spits, and love flying the Vb on Floats, what do you expect? they were designed for operations from Greek Island ports, to harass German Shipping, one of my friends on Kos (he's in his 90's) can remember the RAF Officers having a look at the Harbour in Kos Town and down in Kardamena, this was around the time the Germans invaded if i recall, the RAF had Spitfires based on the salt lake and at nearby LGKO (well it is nearby, the entire island is small)... defending these RAF Assets at the time there were the regular infantry and the SBS (Special Boat Squadron, the SAS' lesser known-about brothers)

back to spit... it'd be good to get a fair few of us online for a flight in warbirds, i'll bring BrunoSK's Mossie as me and that thing are inseperable, as are me and mossies in general actually.... the JF ones are fantastic, as is their Lanc, the spitfires are nice... anyways, yeah... alert chain home we're planning a scramble, and let's hope we don't have to rely on 'Darky and Sandra' if it turns to night :icon_lol:

stuartcox
July 31st, 2012, 04:30
anyone know where we can get this freeware Spit?

Hi Matt,

As pfflyer mentioned in an earlier post, Morton's download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=50&linkid=13984) contains the whole aircraft, except for the 'sound' folder.
A little bit of juggling is required with the 'common' files, but otherwise everything works fine!

Stuart

Matt Wynn
July 31st, 2012, 04:50
thanks Stu! :salute:

EMatheson
July 31st, 2012, 06:55
If you want to fly the JF Spit Mk.I, there is a time-unlimited demo of the MK.Ia on their website. It is a demo,i would definitely suggest buying the whole package! My favorite is the Mk.IXe.

stuartcox
July 31st, 2012, 07:44
If you want to fly the JF Spit Mk.I, there is a time-unlimited demo of the MK.Ia on their website. It is a demo,i would definitely suggest buying the whole package! My favorite is the Mk.IXe.

I've tried downloading the demo 3 times now...
Something seems to be corrupt, the .exe command always comes up with an error message.
Anybody else having this problem?

Blackbird686
July 31st, 2012, 08:56
I've tried downloading the demo 3 times now...
Something seems to be corrupt, the .exe command always comes up with an error message.
Anybody else having this problem?

Hey Stuart --

I saw your post, so just to see... I went over to Just Flight and downloaded the Spit 1A Demo. It downloaded OK on my system. What error specifically are you getting?

This plane is really a handful and requires full concentration and effort to keep her straight and level. Especially on the landings... a firm hand is required otherwise she will develop a bad attitude really quick. One thing I did notice is that the fuel gauge is inoperative and basically says that you are running on fumes... so either it's just a bitmap in the demo or you only have about 10 minutes in the air and then she runs out of gas. A ten minute demo? Reckon I'll just take off and see how far I can get. I can always find a grassy field somewhere to set her down on.

stuartcox
July 31st, 2012, 11:40
Hey Stuart --

I saw your post, so just to see... I went over to Just Flight and downloaded the Spit 1A Demo. It downloaded OK on my system. What error specifically are you getting?

This plane is really a handful and requires full concentration and effort to keep her straight and level. Especially on the landings... a firm hand is required otherwise she will develop a bad attitude really quick. One thing I did notice is that the fuel gauge is inoperative and basically says that you are running on fumes... so either it's just a bitmap in the demo or you only have about 10 minutes in the air and then she runs out of gas. A ten minute demo? Reckon I'll just take off and see how far I can get. I can always find a grassy field somewhere to set her down on.

Hi BB,

I hope you landed alright without too much undercarriage damage :-)

The link I was following was for the manual (silly me) and not the demo aircraft. Got it now!
And here the work begins... Importing some of the demo features into Morton's upload!
Apart from the textures quite a lot seems to be transferable. Hopefully I'll end up with a 'Super-Spit'!

Stuart

Blackbird686
August 1st, 2012, 04:10
Hey Stuart --

Glad you got her downloaded, I did notice that there are alot of textures in the demo's texture folder, As you say, there will be alot of work involved. You'll have to let me know if the fuel gauge in your Spit works... mine is still sitting on empty. I went into the "Change Fuel" section in FS but as a default, the plane is fully fueled. Not like I had to put some gas in her before takeoff.

stuartcox
August 1st, 2012, 05:02
Hey Stuart --

Glad you got her downloaded, I did notice that there are alot of textures in the demo's texture folder, As you say, there will be alot of work involved. You'll have to let me know if the fuel gauge in your Spit works... mine is still sitting on empty. I went into the "Change Fuel" section in FS but as a default, the plane is fully fueled. Not like I had to put some gas in her before takeoff.

I'm doing a complete reformat of my HD at the moment, and installing everything to a 'virgin' state.
This might take a couple of days, but I will let you know as soon as fs9 is up and running.

edit: You are right, the fuel gauge stays on empty. Not only on this demo version, but also on Morton's upload.
I have imported several other gauges to the demo with no luck, so this does seem to be an XML issue, of which I wouldn't have a clue about...:-)

Regards, Stuart

Tom Burnside
August 1st, 2012, 07:01
Will all of AH products be availible as freeware one day.

huub vink
August 1st, 2012, 07:17
Will all of AH products be availible as freeware one day.

Not very likely. Models produced after those now offered as freeware were released by JustFlight and it is not common policy of JustFlight to offer older titles as freeware.

Cheers,
Huub

Blackbird686
August 1st, 2012, 08:35
edit: You are right, the fuel gauge stays on empty. Not only on this demo version, but also on Morton's upload.
I have imported several other gauges to the demo with no luck, so this does seem to be an XML issue, of which I wouldn't have a clue about...:-)

Regards, Stuart

I had an old VW Bug like that... It wasn't really old, it had a gauge, but it always sat on empty, even with a full tank. So I reckon I'll take the Spit out and just see how far she'll go... Average range on the real deal before the idea of "slipper tanks"... about 450 NM.

Cheers, Stuart:ernae:

myles
August 1st, 2012, 14:10
I have just looked at the AH/JF Spitfire (Mk1a). The fuel gauge reads empty, but there is a button at about 8 o'clock to the dial. If you push it, it reads the contents of the tank.

I don't know if the version you are looking at is the same, but you can try it and see!

Best,
Myles

stuartcox
August 2nd, 2012, 00:05
I have just looked at the AH/JF Spitfire (Mk1a). The fuel gauge reads empty, but there is a button at about 8 o'clock to the dial. If you push it, it reads the contents of the tank.

I don't know if the version you are looking at is the same, but you can try it and see!

Best,
Myles

Thanks for the HU Myles :salute:.