PDA

View Full Version : Airframe-stress at landing

Jaxon
December 30th, 2008, 10:28
See the stress to the airframe at this Hawkeye right when it touches the deck (Just in front of the Star&Bars)

Probably due the weight of the dome. A spectacular pic, I think !

BTW: I know some of you were on carriers. So I want to ask you: What does all the "E"s at the island stand for?

I read somewhere PreWar planes had it painted on for "Excellence"?

If, what was needed to receive this?

Helldiver
December 30th, 2008, 11:03
In WWII it stood for "Excellance". However it usually was the flagship of the fleet and that just happens to be the Admiral's boat.
Years ago, when the F-111 was in production, we built a Doppler radome for it. It was a big MF and there was 124 mounting holes in it that had to be in true position within .0001 inches. It was better than a yard square. The inspector held us to it. I got to the Program Manager and asked him did he know how much stress that a fuselage takes and after a few landings their .0001 would be out the windows. He asked me what would be normal and I told him .030 would be reasonable, He made the change right on the spot.

Captain Tenneal
December 30th, 2008, 11:28
I thought the "E" means that the ship in question got an "Excellance" in Engineering award..

here ya are boys..... (http://www.navysite.de/what/bridgewing.htm)

voyager
December 30th, 2008, 13:03
If I remember correctly the E for engineering was red. Not sure about the white E. Maybe seamanship? There were chevrons added for repeat awards. I'm trying to remember from more than 40 years ago .

voyager

Tango_Romeo
December 30th, 2008, 18:27
.....the E awards have multiplied like rabbits:

Command Excellence Awards are painted and displayed on the port and starboard side of the bulwark aft of the Battle "E"

Black E = Maritime Warfare Excellence Award
Red E = Engineering/Survivability Excellence Award
Green E = Command & Control Excellence Award
Blue E = Logistics Management Excellence Award
Yellow E = Commander, Naval Surface Forces (CNSF) Ship Safety Award
Purple E = Efficiency Excellence Award

Tango_Romeo
December 30th, 2008, 18:33
....uncommon on many aircraft, and do not necessarily indicate a problem or undue stress.

For example, a close inspection of any B-52 sitting on the runway will reveal disturbing wrinkles in the skin on the fuselage between the pilots' windows and the leading edge of the wing. These are normal and are the result of the flexing of the plane's wing.

In flight, the wrinkles disappear as the wings are bowed upward about 14 feet at the tips.

It's sort of like the SR-71 leaking fuel profusely on the ground, but sealing up completely once she gets into the air. LOL

bearcat241
December 30th, 2008, 19:56
Internal pressurization at high altitude and decompression at lower altitudes also play a part in this "wrinkling" over time...

Tango_Romeo
December 30th, 2008, 20:13
Internal pressurization at high altitude and decompression at lower altitudes also play a part in this "wrinkling" over time...

...on the 52's crew compartment.

Bill Kestell
December 30th, 2008, 20:18
I thought the airplane guys ( you know, who wake 'em up, get 'em dressed and fed) dropped the ball, got behind or just messed up and grabbed a set of skins from the dirty laundry bag instead of the clean one?

Hey, I just fly 'em ... I don't know what makes 'em work!

Whatda ya mean: ""That's a stupid answer!"

Maybe not enough starch ... like that one better?