PDA

View Full Version : AlphaSim Gee Bee

PRB
July 15th, 2012, 11:24
Finally landed the Alphasim Gee Bee! I needed the dry lake bed at Edwards Air Force Base (Space Shuttles don't need it anymore!) to do it, but hey, first we crawl, then walk... :icon_lol: The thing that kills me (virtually) in this thing, besides not being able to see a darn thing on final, is the flare. She's so touchy across all controls that my flares invariably result in flying back up into the air. Made a pretty good landing too. I read someplace that Delmar Benjamin, when landing his GB, memorizes the “picture” of the airport landing area so it's “no big deal” that he can't see it on final. :icon_eek:

Roger
July 15th, 2012, 12:17
Ha I've got Wozza's and the Alphasim Gee Bee and never made a good landing, so well done:engel016:.

Dain Arns
July 16th, 2012, 05:42
... I read someplace that Delmar Benjamin, when landing his GB, memorizes the “picture” of the airport landing area so it's “no big deal” that he can't see it on final. :icon_eek:

Well, he used to. :kilroy:

Delmar donated the Model R replica to Fantasy of Flight towards the end of 2001 and retired, if I remember correctly.
I saw one of the last few flights of it at an Airshow in Bozeman, Montana. Pretty impressive to see fly by.
Delmar commented he was heading home with it, that was when he still had a farm in Montana at the time.

Guess there is a rumor that Kermit may be getting the 'Z' ready again for flight.