PDA

View Full Version : DC-3??

RyanJames170
July 13th, 2012, 17:52
Is there any Good DC-3's out there that has a good VC and sounds?

Ryan

ShawnG
July 13th, 2012, 18:49
Is there any Good DC-3's out there that has a good VC and sounds?

Ryan

well, the short answer is yes, the long answer is, unfortunately, no.

to explain, there are few alternatives, the JustFlight DC3, the Maam-sim DC3 and various attempts for better or worse, to spruce up the default Microsoft DC3. The JF model is visually the best in my opinion, and actually flies pretty well as well, but theres a few things that let it down. there is a former payware sound package for it included for free, and outside the plane it sounds brilliant, but inside, at least my copy always sounds like the engine is idling, even when I have the engines operating to the max. the other thing in it's disfavor to a lot of folks, but not me, is that JF took the design decision to model the DC3 as it might have been the day it rolled out of the factory, and not how it would look now after 70-odd years of decay and use. so these are squeaky clean models, not grubby ones.

The MAAM-sim model is a legend. it's got loads of character, a ton of available repaints; it's made by folks who love the aircraft, and it probably edges out the JF model in flight characteristics. It's also an aging FS9 model, and it does not appear the MAAM are going to be able to release a true FSX model anytime soon. I like the VC best of all them, but it's, you know, pixelly. if you don't mind that its a port, and a bit old this is probably my recommendation.

there are a few attempts that you can find by scouring the download sites of projects to overhaul the default. the best external model is surely M.Jahn's C-47 and there are a ton of paints that have been done for it. there is a replacement VC that I downloaded from avsim, that makes the vc better. there are others I haven't tried such as the Awesome 4some and some overhauls from DC3 airways. but at the end of the day, they all use the default dc3 flight model, which I personally hate with a seething passion. I did see that there is a replacement FDE, but as it seemed to be more about engine management than actual flight characteristics I didn't try it, but it may be worth it, if you like tinkering.

There also is the Uiver DC-2 which generally gets rave reviews everywhere, and it has a fantastic model, and VC (don't remember what the sounds were like, but I'm sure your going to get 15,000 recommendations for this from everybody) It also is a charity project, so I'm glad I bought it even though I have it uninstalled for a long time. my only beef is usually a plus from most of the crowd around here, in that it seems to be of the accu-sim "realistic" school whereby if you don't slavishly follow the original flight procedures as written in 1926 with 99.9999999 percent precision your engines will be useless collections of smoking metal within 15 minutes of takeoff. (and NO, I do not firewall the throttle) it also has the disadvantage of not being a DC3. but if that's your thing this may be a winner as well.

the new BT-thingy with the turboprops looks cool, and I'm going to give it a workout this weekend, but I havent' flown it yet, and it's not really a DC3 either.

Vertigo was supposed to be working on the DC3 and they had some nice pix up, but it seems to have vanished into the ether, and they've released a lot of other stuff since last they said anything about it to my knowledge.

so there it is, you could just do what I did and get them all.

ShawnG
July 13th, 2012, 19:11
sry dbl post

euroastar350
July 13th, 2012, 19:26
Then there is the Manfred Jahn C47 found on flightsim.com if you don't have it already

RyanJames170
July 13th, 2012, 19:32
yeah i am looking for one good one so i can keep the clutter down in my Flight sim hanger.. why i have been very picky these days with what i get. ill have a look around and see what everyone says too

RyanJames170
July 13th, 2012, 19:41
Could someone pop up some good Pics of the inside and outside of the DC-2 Ie the Updated version

jeansy
July 13th, 2012, 20:26
VS have one in the pipeline, how far off im not sure, their forums have been pretty quiet with the upcoming releases

edit> they had one, its no longer in the forums, new news for me then sorry about the bum steer

edit again> sorry a bum steer on the bum steer just saw a post in the general boards dated june, its still going ahead

RyanJames170
July 13th, 2012, 21:04
so there is another "new" one in the works? it would be nice to have a new one with 3d gages and good high rez textures and a good sound set.. the DC-3 is one of those Must haves like the P-51. although the DC-2 looks cool too, sadly its not as fast though :/.

i have to say though it would be cool to see someone do a Super DC-3

Ferry_vO
July 14th, 2012, 01:26
Actually the DC-2 is slightly faster in cruise than the DC-3! The only difference in FsX is that the DC-3's can all be flown flat out all the time, while the DC-2 does need some engine management. Not nearly as 'hard' as the A2A aircraft are though, after take-off reduce the props to 2,000 rpm and the manfold pressure to 30" and you can fly until you run out of petrol.

Manfred Jahn's C-47 would be my choice for the DC-3; just get the replacement textures for the cockpit and you'll probably never fly the default goon again!

The JF DC-3 looks good on the outside, but IMHO the cockpit looks a bit cartoonish. Still a step up from the default one!

Could someone pop up some good Pics of the inside and outside of the DC-2 Ie the Updated version

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/DC-2/fsscr329.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/DC-2/fsscr041.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/DC-2/fsscr042.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/DC-2/fsscr065.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/DC-2/fsscr060.jpg

:)

Flame-Prop
July 14th, 2012, 02:24
The DC-3 has been on my mind for a long time since I started watching Ice-Pilots. Still in search for one myself, this is the sort of detail I'm after when it comes to the cockpit http://www.icepilots.com/fleet_dc3.php

DC-3's cockpit is pretty straight forward, thank God It's not an Airbus cockpit. There is alot of room for good textures, Sound packwise there is a good one, It's called 75th anniversary sound pack DC-3 by Sonic Solutions man (vance) However. I think that Just Flight DC3's comes already with the sound pack. BIG part next.....ok so I think that Just Flight DC3's has the same sound pack , the 75th anniversary sound pack DC-3 but version 2 so to speak...I don't know I mean it just sounds better. MUCH better It's driving me up the walls tryint to find out what the story is. If you get Just Flight DC3 is pretty good but not as good as I hoped for, the C-47 which comes as a bonus is. So if you wanna get the Just Flight DC3 and i know it sounds crazy but remove the DC3 and keep the C-47.... Like i said it's driving me nuts that the fact that the sound pack that comes with that has "better cough" you know what I mean.

DC-2 Uiver Team... 5 out of 5 stars from me, I would recommend, it's a cozy plane and has quite a bit to offer.When you think of the DC 3, think of
THE DOUGLAS DC-3 “Gooney Bird"

Daube
July 14th, 2012, 04:03
The DC-2 is, for the moment, the most realistic plane that looks like a DC-3.

Manfred's DC-3 is the best looking one, and the default VC is not bad at all. The default flight model might have some flaws but honnestly I haven't seen anything really disturbing.
From a realism point of view, the engine management is very basic and it won't suffer from any failure no matter what you do... BUT the author of the famous "Damage mod" is about to change this, by bringing a "light Accusim" version: it will handle damage and wear of the various aircraft mecanical systems depending on how you use it, it will handle much more parameters (which will force you to actually be carefull about what you do), and it will SAVE the aircraft status and wear automatically after each flight, just like an Accusim aircraft.

RyanJames170
July 14th, 2012, 08:38
The DC-2 is, for the moment, the most realistic plane that looks like a DC-3.

Manfred's DC-3 is the best looking one, and the default VC is not bad at all. The default flight model might have some flaws but honnestly I haven't seen anything really disturbing.
From a realism point of view, the engine management is very basic and it won't suffer from any failure no matter what you do... BUT the author of the famous "Damage mod" is about to change this, by bringing a "light Accusim" version: it will handle damage and wear of the various aircraft mecanical systems depending on how you use it, it will handle much more parameters (which will force you to actually be carefull about what you do), and it will SAVE the aircraft status and wear automatically after each flight, just like an Accusim aircraft.

intresting i will have to sat that would be cool to have inaddtion to the accu feel addon. i would hope that it can be turned off though for all of certian aircraft and such. now who is making this now and is it going to be a payware addon or freeware?

So for malfresds DC-3 what all is needed besides the external textures? can someone drop me some links to this stuff im horrible at finding things at avsim.

yeah that DC-2 might be fun to play around with. my only complaint about the DC-2 is its stuck with those wimpy 710 HP engines lol. but im not sure how well the plane would hold up with the 1000HP units from the B-17's although if i owned one i probaly would have the 1200HP units just incase u lost one u would still have near take off power with just one engine. but that is me though lol.

i do have to admit that it was the ice pilots show and renewed intrest and building another DC-3 model kit that got me a looking for one in FSX, its prety cool what that airlines has up there and i think if i ever go up to canada i might just pay a visit up there just to see the planes and maybe get a ride in one on its dayley hop im sure if you payed for you weight i am darn sure they would let u come along. actualy that show and some things got me a thinking that someone realy needs to come up with a company that makes spare parts for these old planes, i think it could stay afloat if you made parts by request and did reconditning of parts engine crank shafts cylinder heads ect ect. im am sure anyone with a plane over 40 years old would love you. becuse im sure even that piper cub guys are finding it hard to get engine parts these days.

Ryan

rdaniell
July 14th, 2012, 10:34
Then there is the Manfred Jahn C47 found on flightsim.com if you don't have it already

I've just downloaded and installed this airplane. Thanks for the "heads-up."

RD

1pepito2
July 14th, 2012, 10:54
i have to say though it would be cool to see someone do a Super DC-3

There is a "Super DC-3" cfg and air file... if I remember correctly Douglas Trapp and Des Braban did something for the C-47. I'll have to check those files when I can and get more specifics of interested.

P

RyanJames170
July 14th, 2012, 11:11
What files are needed for Malfred jahn's updated DC-3 and to add the New VC to it? could someone drop me and others a link to these thank you.

Ferry_vO
July 14th, 2012, 12:04
yeah that DC-2 might be fun to play around with. my only complaint about the DC-2 is its stuck with those wimpy 710 HP engines lol. but im not sure how well the plane would hold up with the 1000HP units from the B-17's although if i owned one i probaly would have the 1200HP units just incase u lost one u would still have near take off power with just one engine. but that is me though lol.

The DC-2 was designed with a requirement that it could take off from every field TWA flew to, no matter how hot 'n' high and could still climb out on one engine in case of a failure.
The wing is about the same size of a DC-3 but the fuselage is shorter and narrower so it has excellent short field performance yet outpaces the DC-3 in cruise. It also needs less space for the take-off and can land at a much slower speed. One of the complaints we often hear is that people say it has a nose down attitude during approach but that's only because people fly it at DC-3 speeds. You don't land it at 65 kts, but at 50 kts (Or even less, depending on weight.)!

RyanJames170
July 14th, 2012, 12:44
i might get a Dc-2 and play around with a DC-3 when one comes out. and see witch i like better.

what sort of speeds is this DC-3 capeable of? ie Max, cruse and engine out max and min?

Ferry_vO
July 14th, 2012, 13:01
You can find the DC-2 manual on the site :http://home.hccnet.nl/r.cappers/dc2/fsx.html