PDA

View Full Version : DC-2 Keeps turning to the right, rudder not co-operating at all

Flame-Prop
July 12th, 2012, 03:40
I have no idea what's going on with this plane at the moment....It's proving to be extremely difficult to taxi and takeoff as it keeps turning to the right all the time. I did try a few techniques like advancing the throttle really smooth, holding it at 32% during taxi. I used to be able to use the rudder and breaks which is a very outside the box way of turning. But I seem to get no response from the rudder. Anyone else experienced this before? I remember this started after adding in the smokesystem to the aircraft.cfg.....surely this can't be related ?

Gabe

Roger
July 12th, 2012, 04:15
Is auto-pilot still on?

MarkH
July 12th, 2012, 09:28
But I seem to get no response from the rudder.

I assume you have a crosswind from the right. The DC-2 won't turn on the rudder anyway unless you're close to flying speed and the tail is up. The tail wheel castors and you need to steer with the engines and brakes. (You also need to make sure the tail wheel is unlocked or it won't steer.) In a crosswind (even a very small one) you will need to use the engines to keep straight. I'm assuming you have the Uiver DC-2, can't speak for any freeware ones.

fliger747
July 12th, 2012, 10:52
Make absolutly sure your throttle is mapped to operate both engines, you would not believe how many times this has come up with a vareity of planes! This is especiallt typical as the number 1 engine would be the one that would respond to the throttle if you were setup for operating a single engine plane with throttle mapped to #1.

Good luck!

cheezyflier
July 12th, 2012, 13:28
rudder not co-operating at all
Gabe

i suggest giving it a stern talking-to

emfrat
July 12th, 2012, 15:57
Is it possible that, while doing the smoke thing, you accidentally told FS that both engines are on the same side?
These are numbers for a DC-3. The DC-2 might be different, but the key thing is that Engine.0 is located at -9.1 (left of the centreline, looking forward) and Engine.1 is at 9.1
If (as I once did) you set both the lateral positions to negative (-9.1) this will not alter the visual model, but FS will base all its calculations on what you told it in the cfg.

[GeneralEngineData]
engine_type = 0 //0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=Turboprop
Engine.0 = -9.75, -9.1, -1.8 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
Engine.1 = -9.75, 9.1, -1.8 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum

ATB
MikeW

Flame-Prop
July 12th, 2012, 17:19
Folks, this is indeed Uiver Team's DC-2 here..........MikeW I think you may be on to something here.....Oh god I had no idea I was such an amature when it comes to adding in some smokin' to this baby :icon_lol:

Update:
Now I regained control over the rudder, even dough at the moment there is no smokesystem. Anyway, just to confirm.......each engine as 2 exhaust pipes, left and right side of each engine. Can I confirm that startup smoke exit is correct during startup:

Engine1: Right exhaust(inwards)
Engine2: Right Exhaust(outwards)

dandog
July 12th, 2012, 18:55
See!!! That DC2 is in excellent condition. No smoke, good compression, dialed in carbs. You tried to get the engines to throw smoke and now she just doesn't run right. Let the mechanics at Uiver do thier thing!!! Next thing you'll want is a "Mercy Air" style paint job. She's the Queen of the Skies.:icon_lol:

Flame-Prop
July 13th, 2012, 06:43
See!!! That DC2 is in excellent condition. No smoke, good compression, dialed in carbs. You tried to get the engines to throw smoke and now she just doesn't run right. Let the mechanics at Uiver do thier thing!!! Next thing you'll want is a "Mercy Air" style paint job. She's the Queen of the Skies.:icon_lol:

I must agree with you here DanDog, this is no ordinary aircraft :salute: I belive It must be every pilots dream to fly their plane with such healthy engines. I treat her like a queen, never abuse the engines. She will give me all she's got on thus dark and cold nights. All I would need is an HD cockpit and HD exterior textures for the default repaints currently released. I would image this would be a difficult task on the other hand.