PDA

View Full Version : Ground steering missery

fallenphoenix1986
July 2nd, 2012, 09:22
Seems my twist grip Wingman3D has decided to give up the ghost and I no longer have any rudder control to the left, I vaguelly remember a way in CFS2 that allowed a user to conduct ground steering through the ailerons however I can't seem to replicate this thus far in FSX. Alternativly is it possible to use the keyboard and have the rudder auto centre after key release?
Any hints to allow me to steer again* are greatly appreciated.

Craig

*Short of a buying a new stick :kilroy:

Tako_Kichi
July 2nd, 2012, 09:45
There is a check box in one of the 'Settings' windows to activate 'Auto Rudder' (possibly on the 'Realism' page if I remember correctly). If you turn that on then the sim will activate the rudder for you to maintain co-ordinated turns. That only works if you are flying of course.

For steering on the ground make sure the following line is in the [Brakes] section of the aircraft.cfg file and if it is not there then add it (you will have to do this for every aircraft you want to fly while your rudder function is FUBAR'd).

differential_braking_scale=1.00000

I'm assuming you don't have rudder pedals with toe brakes seeing as you are talking about a twisty stick rudder above. In that case you will have to use the comma and period keys (, + .) on the keyboard to control the left and right brakes independently. Apply the left brake (,) to turn left and the right brake (.) to turn right, press both keys down together to brake in a straight line.

Note: if you find the differential braking scale to be too high (i.e. tail draggers tend to nose over or ground loop) then reduce the value to suit (e.g. differential_braking_scale=0.750000 which will give you 75% of full braking power). This will have to be done on a per aircraft basis after testing.

bushpilot
July 2nd, 2012, 09:51
vaguelly remember a way in CFS2 that allowed a user to conduct ground steering through the ailerons however I can't seem to replicate this thus far in FSX.

Autorudder will do exactly that. On ground plane will steer by tilting the stick left or right.

fallenphoenix1986
July 2nd, 2012, 10:12
Thanks guys, had to delete the stick assignement to get autorudder to work properly. Helicopters are now officially off the menu for the time being, fixed wing seems to be back in business. Now to commence saving for the G940 I've been eyeing up since last year :mixedsmi:

Craig

Tako_Kichi
July 2nd, 2012, 10:37
Now to commence saving for the G940 I've been eyeing up since last year :mixedsmi:
I looked long and hard at a G940 a while back and decided not to make the jump based on reliability reports. In the end I went with another X52 to replace my existing X52 that was showing signs of age and a set of Saitek rudder pedals. I have never looked back and never wished I'd gone with the G940.

Dain Arns
July 2nd, 2012, 13:15
I looked long and hard at a G940 a while back and decided not to make the jump based on reliability reports. In the end I went with another X52 to replace my existing X52 that was showing signs of age and a set of Saitek rudder pedals. I have never looked back and never wished I'd gone with the G940.

Well, I'm going to complicate that, and update information on the G940. :icon_lol:

I had a first version/generation G940, pre-ordered it when they were first released.
It started giving me problems a few months ago, and steadily was losing functions since then.
Enough I finally had to start looking for a new throttle a couple weeks ago when the R1 and R2 axis gave out.
I looked at the fixes online but decided I really did not want to deal with that.
I got about three years out of the unit, not real happy about that.
I expected about double that at least, but I had put probably 1500 hours use on it in FSX alone.

Now, I had noticed the reliability complaints have been diminishing over the past year or so at the Logitech support forum.
I decided to gamble on getting another G940, as I really love force feedback, and the preciseness of the stick.
Invested in FS Force software as well, so I wanted to continue using that.

So. I got a new G940 through Amazon, last week.
Manufacturing date of March 2012 when I opened the box was encouraging.
Also, the one I received is marked revision 4, with the latest software on disc.

I could tell immediately the throttle is working way better with this new revised one, than my original G940 did when I got it brand new three years ago. More smoother.
I have not cracked the unit open, so it's just a guess, but overall it feels like a much better, stable built system.
I feel that Logitech has been paying attention to the complaints and making adjustments to solve the problems that the original G940's had three years ago when they were first released.
Probably explain why its up to revision #4.

cheezyflier
July 2nd, 2012, 16:54
i've had lots of different logitech devices, and every one of them has served me well.

olderndirt
July 2nd, 2012, 18:02
An oldie but goldie - never buy the 'A' model of anything.

Tako_Kichi
July 2nd, 2012, 18:12
i've had lots of different logitech devices, and every one of them has served me well.
I used to feel that way but my last two purchases of Logitech products have not been good. I bought the G110 gaming keyboard but the Logitech software didn't like Win 7 64 bit and just a few weeks ago I bought three Logitech gaming mice (one for me, one for my wife and one for my daughter) and I had to send them all back as the software simply would not run on this OS.

Dain Arns
July 2nd, 2012, 18:22
An oldie but goldie - never buy the 'A' model of anything.

And if I lived my life by cliches', I wouldn't have had such a wonderful time siming with a good force feedback system, like I did. :salute:

I used to feel that way but my last two purchases of Logitech products have not been good. I bought the G110 gaming keyboard but the Logitech software didn't like Win 7 64 bit and just a few weeks ago I bought three Logitech gaming mice (one for me, one for my wife and one for my daughter) and I had to send them all back as the software simply would not run on this OS.

Sorry to hear that, TK.
I'm running all Logitech gaming hardware here, keyboard, gamepad, headphones, and G700 mouse with no issues on W7 Home Premium... :kilroy:

fallenphoenix1986
July 3rd, 2012, 08:11

Ditto, the stick I mention in post one has served me for 10 years. Can't say i havn't had my moneys worth out of it.

Craig