PDA

View Full Version : By Way of Introduction.....

WWPierre
June 26th, 2012, 11:47
Hi, fellow flight simmers, first some background;

I have been simming since the turn of the millennium, starting out in Red Baron 3d and graduating to the IL-2 franchise 5 or 6 years ago, and more recently adding Rise of Flight. I am the Recruiting Officer of the WingWalkers, the oldest virtual squadron on the internet. We fly IL-2 and ROF on alternate Tuesday evenings.

Recently we have formed a loose alliance with the Old Fokkers, who fly the same combat sims, but have a civil aviation component as well, based on FSX. The OF get together on Monday evenings and fly around in the ORBX scenery. This inspired me to set up in FSX and acquire the scenery.

Yesterday, I decided to take my new Ercoupe from Cortes Island to Port McNeil via Johnstone Strait. When I was approaching Sayward, I could see the Alert Bay airport ahead, which I landed at.

Checking with Google Earth, it seems 50 miles or so of Johnston Strait is missing from the ORBX scenery. (see below). Of course, I don't have the Pacific Fjords scenery yet, and I may have just run off the end of the PNW section. I'll have to check that. 68146
The yellow line covers the approximate distance missing from the scenery.

rdaniell
June 26th, 2012, 12:15
Hi there! I can't think of a better little airplane to fly around in. If you were flying Full's "ScrappyII" paint scheme then you were flying a virtual model of one I once owned and flew in real life.

Welcome aboard.

RD

Holger Sandmann
June 26th, 2012, 13:03
Hi WWPierre,

actually, Orbx PNW extends almost to N52 degrees, quite a ways beyond the northern tip of Vancouver Island and Johnston Strait. Thus, if something "went missing" (assuming PNW and its current update were installed correctly) then you probably have some other scenery at higher display priority that partially or completely overwrites the Orbx components. Look though your list in the FSX scenery library menu and temporarily uncheck entries if in doubt.

Cheers, Holger

WWPierre
June 28th, 2012, 10:19
That must be the case: I used a little windfall to purchase the Orbx Pacific fjords scenery, installed it, installed the B1, and flew to Port Hardy from Comox. The whole of Johnstone Straight seemed to be present.

Holy Cow! that B1 is scary to someone used to ROF. :icon_eek:

I managed to get it down safely back at Comox after setting up the approach over Naniamo. Wasn't a pretty landing, but didn't bend it.