PDA

View Full Version : Beginners advice

swimeye
December 29th, 2008, 10:53
Hi!

The day that every computer user dreads finally arrived, in the middle of nothing my rig went totaly dead and did not start again. So i have now built my new rig with more power and harddrive space.
I had a huge installation for FS9 and i could not find the motivation to restore i so i decided that it was time to move to FSX. But being a newbie on FSX i need some advice.

First, i do like to bring the mesh up to a better resolution, i have found some freeware meshes at avsim and flightsim and i looked at a 10 meter resolution one by Raimond Taburet (i think i got the name right) but it is a huge download, is there a freeware mesh with a little lower resolution, like 38m or something that covers North America, Canada and Alaska and also Europe?
Thanks for any advice.

cheezyflier
December 29th, 2008, 19:47
be careful with freeware scenery, some of it is nice, some of it can be.... well, you know.

MCDesigns
December 29th, 2008, 20:18
Sorry to hear about your PC, that has got to suck, but on the bright side, WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!

FSX has higher res mesh than FS9 by default and I agree about the freeware memsh, some good, some bad depending on source and how it's compiled.

Try FSGenisis for some great mesh addons. keep in mind, mesh files are large in d/l size usually

Kiwikat
December 29th, 2008, 21:05
The FSGenesis USA Mesh V2 has the best value/dollar of any addon I have. If you don't have it, go get it now. It is one of those rare addons that EVERYONE should have. (obviously IMHO) :)

SolarEagle
December 29th, 2008, 21:20
FSX already has 38m mesh for US. The north america package from FSGenesis is only like $25, which is 10m US and 20m CAN. I tried to download some of the freeware 10m for the US from simviation but the download was pathetic, about 20kb/s. I finally gave up, spent $25, and downloaded from FSGenesis at 2MB/s.

By the way if you want some free scenery that will showcase the capabilities of FSX, get the FTX Tasmania demo from Orbx. Its all of Tasmania in one season with one HD airport and no time limit. Here's the link and a couple shots from the demo area. Tasmania is no small place so you could spend several days exploring this scenery.

http://www.fullterrain.com/freeware.html

http://sio.midco.net/FTP9/golddecathlon30.jpg

http://sio.midco.net/FTP5/ymlt22.jpg

swimeye
December 30th, 2008, 00:03
Thanks for your friendly advices. The screenshots of Tasmania looks awesome, have to try that addon.

I will look into some payware then, since the download speed is realy important when you are dealing with such large files.

Thanks again guys/gals.
And also thanks for the nice welcome MCdesigns
/Sims

lucas81
December 30th, 2008, 00:28
As for the Europe, download 38m Alpine mesh, the rest may stay on the 76 meter mesh. Be careful with the freeware meshes for the Africa and South America. They create some mess with the lake elevations. It is better to stay with the default or buy some payware mesh.
I can also recommend FS Global 2008. You get 6 DVD for the entire World for the FSX and FS2004 in one box. However, both meshes are separate and were designed for the dedicated sim version. But of course it is up to you. Michael and Kiwikat already mentioned the FS Genesis.