PDA

View Full Version : A lesson for MB users...

Rami
December 29th, 2008, 09:37
To all,

I can't believe I did not use this sooner! :angryfir:

For those who use layouts, I completely forgot that the layout files use coordinates. Therefore, if you're using the same layout (an airbase, for example) in more than one mission, you can click on the box when you load a layout to place it that says "set in original world location."

That way you don't have to zoom in and strain to place it in exactly the right spot every time.

All this time, I'm still not doing it the easiest way....I guess my wife is right once again. :banghead:

Jagdflieger
December 29th, 2008, 11:16
During the classic period of history, the Greeks where heard to shout "eurika" when they discovered this clever little trick in the beta CFS 2.

Of course I am not nearly as literate as the old Greeks and I cleverly mumbled "dohhh!" upon discovery of the feature.

I keep a folder in my library with all my layout files organized into type and theater with a little screen shot and readme file with them. That way, as you point out, they can be used over and over again and in many parts of the world as well as their original location.

To use them in a new location, you usually have to adjust their location from the initial location and also to turn them on their axis to match them up with the scenery. To do so:

To move them on their lateral and vertical axes:
1. Left click on one of the objects to turn it green.
2. Hold Shift and Left click outside the group of objects and drag your cursor around them. You will create a box around them and the objects will all turn green.
3. Once they are all green, you can move them anywhere on the map and place them where you want them on their original axis.
4. Now you'll need to orient their axis to fit the terrain or the harbor.
5. Hold Alt and place your cursor at the point you want the Layout to rotate around. A red + will appear at the rotation point.
6. Hold alt and then click and drag the group of objects around around the rotation point (Red +) until you are satisfied with the orientation.
7. When you are satisfied with the orientation, left click outside the group of objects and they will turn white and be locked in position.
8. Save and continue on with the mission building project.

Like the MB GSL tools, most of this detail about the layout files was not included in the CFS 2 handbook or the internal Help file. Instead, it was discovered gradually by Leroy, Pen32 and others.

Any cluster of objects in the MB (other than GSL scenery) can be manipulated in the above manner.

Jagdflieger
December 29th, 2008, 11:17
Last two screen shots.

Devildog73
December 30th, 2008, 18:04
Okay Rami,
I'll say DUH with Jagd!

I have been recreating on the same mission number and saving it as the new misison number at times. Sometimes, as you already know and is probably why you posted this, I recreated the wheel.

DD73