PDA

View Full Version : Flight Sim Deals of the Day

TARPSBird
June 21st, 2012, 23:51
I receive the daily "Flight Sim Deal of the Day" emails from PCAviator.com. Two offerings that interested me this week were the Golden Age Simulations FS9/FSX Model 75 Stearman for 50% off ($12.47), and MegaScenery FS9 Southern California for 90% off ($2.97). If anybody has gotten these packages I'd appreciate some comments before I order. Thanks in advance. :salute:

PeteHam
June 22nd, 2012, 00:29
The Stearman is well worth getting. :applause:

I fly one for real and this is as close as you can get. :jump:

Pete.

mgchrist5
June 22nd, 2012, 02:56
The Stearman is well worth getting.

Ditto. It's one of my favorite payware packages. They look & fly great, and you get some scenery included (N69 - Stormville Airport, NY).

TARPSBird
June 22nd, 2012, 06:17
Thanks guys, that pretty much covers the Stearman. Now if anybody can comment on MegaScenery SoCal or just MegaScenery in general, fire away.

rich12545
June 24th, 2012, 11:36
Thanks guys, that pretty much covers the Stearman. Now if anybody can comment on MegaScenery SoCal or just MegaScenery in general, fire away.

Megascenery bleh. I bought the whole package several years ago for a lot and would be willing to sell it all for not that much. If anybody's interested, let me know.

Terry
June 24th, 2012, 12:02
Megascenery bleh. I bought the whole package several years ago for a lot and would be willing to sell it all for not that much. If anybody's interested, let me know.

Same here, "bleh" pretty well covers it.

TARPSBird
June 24th, 2012, 13:05
Thanks guys for the MegaScenery comments. I figured what the heck, can't go wrong for under $3.00, and grabbed the SoCal package at the same time as the GAS Stearman. What you consider "bleh" might work well for me on my computer. Will do some comparisons and decide if it's a keeper or not.:salute:

rich12545
June 24th, 2012, 13:34
Thanks guys for the MegaScenery comments. I figured what the heck, can't go wrong for under $3.00, and grabbed the SoCal package at the same time as the GAS Stearman. What you consider "bleh" might work well for me on my computer. Will do some comparisons and decide if it's a keeper or not.:salute:

Let us know what you think. I just don't like the look of the textures. But I really want to considering all the money I spent on it. I'd like someone to say - Hey if you just do so and so they look great.

PeteHam
June 24th, 2012, 14:13
If you're after photoreal ground textures then you should check out this freeware site.

http://www.blueskyscenery.com/

I had Mega scenery Hawaii ( Oahu ) and replaced it for these. Plus I've got alot around the LAX & SFO area.

They're really good.

Pete.

modelr
June 25th, 2012, 17:09
Have the Stearmans, this is a great deal.

Have all the Megascenery sets, the newer technology used in the Bluesky sceneries and mega scenery earth is better, but you can't beat the price of these older sets.

Being born and raised in San Diego, Orange County area, this megascenery set is all there is for the far southern cal area. The newer ones do not go down to San Diego, yet. This one is a little dated, but I can find all the areas I lived in, as well as where I spent a lot of time in the back country. Since this goes east into the Salton Sea/Imperial County area, whic I also know well, it works great for me.

As for the textures, these are satellite photos, from a point in time, so they are not all exactly the same color/time in the season, as they are taken from different passes of the satellite. This is a problem with photo scenery. I ignore it myself, as I'm using it to site see. It is very good for that.

Most photo scenery is not especially easy on the framerates, by the way. And, you can easily out fly the texture loading if flying fast and low. However the Stearman is perfect for exploring photo scenery.

Just my personal opinion. :cool:

rich12545
June 26th, 2012, 13:07
Sorry, but the megascenery graphics are so bad I almost want to cry. Maybe not so much the city but country areas. Last week I tried it again and installed the pnw set. Flew around the puget sound for a while. Sigh, then uninstalled it.