PDA

View Full Version : can i call this "short wheelbased"?......or close coupled?

Daveroo
June 17th, 2012, 19:51
heHEhee....i love this plane,disregard the national name..has nothing to do with the name on the plane.but the model of the plane,747-whatever,,everytime i see this particular model/version of this plane,i think to myself...awwww cute lil short wheelbase airplane...refering to the plane in its entirety,not just the placement of the landing gear...so no nitpickin...as ive mumbled about before,i have "dreams of grandure" and this plane,would be a BBJ for me,,,the upper area which is normally first class on 747s?..would be crew quarters,with everything below for me and my family,with only a small area of under floor baggge area for bags,,,rather the master suite,and gust room.has wardrobes,as well as guest pods have wardrobes,,,so the "baggage area can be used for fuel ( i would hope) cept in one area,id have some sort of convertable car,which could be loaded into the lower baggage area,and unloaded,all self contained,( i have a design)be a small two seat roadseter for me and my asstant..my guests would have limos waiting...crew would remain on the plane unless made to leave by airport rules...i need to sleep more...stop laying in bed dreaming...........

ThinkingManNeil
June 18th, 2012, 05:08
Looks like a 747SP (Special performance),
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747SP)
N.

pfflyers
June 18th, 2012, 08:10
Yep, SP.

Those were built to Pan Am and Iran Air specs to serve the middle east to north america routes. Boeing only built about 45, I don't know how many airlines actually flew them. I wonder how many are still around? It sure would make an awsome VIP jet.

edit: Guess I shoulda clicked Neil's link before I posted, looks like a whole lotta airlines flew them at one time or another. 17 still flying, looks like most are being used as BBJs and VIP transports.

cheezyflier
June 18th, 2012, 12:13
one could certainly travel in style with one of those.
however, if i was the ostentatious type, i would totally go VLJ. an epic victory for me, would do all i'd need it to do. i wouldn't need all the range, or the room. tht way i could be more exclusive, all the while claiming to be "greener" than the other rich guys, while also having the appearance of being more tech savvy.

Wing_Z
June 18th, 2012, 12:41
They could land at strips usually reserved for microlights, too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=ap_nyRzEOMI

argo147
June 20th, 2012, 12:15
While I was on my honeymoon in Las Vegas last year I stayed at the Luxor, which is right across the street from McCarran. From my hotel room I had a perfect view of the Janet Terminal, so I got to watch the Area 51 employees heading to work for a few days, that was pretty cool but right down the ramp a bit from the Janet terminal theres a 747SP parked there, I sure would have liked to see that takeoff, I've always liked that model.