PDA

View Full Version : Phantom

expat
June 14th, 2012, 14:45
Antonio Diaz keeps putting out great paints for the nav air birds.

Ian Warren
June 14th, 2012, 15:41
Pretty aircraft and a great screen :cool: , pity Cloud9 stuck to FS9 , guess be a couple year before we see A2As F4 :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

AusWilko
June 14th, 2012, 16:00
Pretty aircraft and a great screen :cool: , pity Cloud9 stuck to FS9 , guess be a couple year before we see A2As F4 :cool:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

It's going to be a long wait, I think it will be a instant success when it comes out that's for sure

heywooood
June 14th, 2012, 17:51
WHY don't we have a native Rhino...??? why - I ask us

I mean LOOK at that beautiful beastie

:ipepsi2:born to kickass

expat
June 14th, 2012, 22:40
This is the Alphasim Phantom ported to FSX using Don's panel available here in the SOH Library.

AusWilko
June 15th, 2012, 16:55
This is the Alphasim Phantom ported to FSX using Don's panel available here in the SOH Library.

I have this and fly it all the time but would really love a more involved one, never got the cloud 9 one but we really need the same for fsx

Roadburner440
June 15th, 2012, 17:36
Next to the F-14 the F-4 is my second favorite jet. I will echo the sentiment of being sad that Cloud9 did not update theirs to FSX native. I was always crossing my fingers that it would get updated. Never know what the future holds though. Have only seen a functional F-4 once in my life at an airshow, and that display will stick out in my mind for the rest of my life. Even after seeing the F-22 demo 2 weeks ago I still think the F-4 demo is the most impressive one I have ever seen. Luckily I live up the street from Langley AFB so I get to see F-4's on sticks all the time. By far my favorite F-4 vid too here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmXvQqEcJZ8 Whenever we get one in FSX I so want to remake this in sim. Back to dreaming and waiting. :frown:

FYI if you guys like the video that are is Pyramid Lake off of Nellis AFB. It actually looks pretty close to that in FSX.

modelr
June 15th, 2012, 19:12
Growing up just south of Miramar NAS, and being in the US Air Force from 69-73, TAC, I spent a LOT of time around F-4 Phantoms. Seeing the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds both perform was the highlite. Loud was an understatement. Only thing louder was the SR-71. The F-18 comes close, but it's different, believe me. A good ear can easily tell the difference.

I am eagerly awaiting A2A's "'Toom."

VCN-1
June 16th, 2012, 09:09
It would be fantastic to get a true FSX bird that resembled this.

This is a Cloud 9 example that seems to work well in FSX except I don't have a VC.

VCN-1

expat
June 16th, 2012, 11:51
Hmm I have a vc in FSX but a lot of stuff doesnt work. Sits in my hangar. Long nose F4F variant doesn't suit my USN brds but external model looks brill In USAF camo.

delta_lima
June 16th, 2012, 13:41
The Iris port-over suits my Royal Navy fancy well enough, though I despise the fact that in the VC, the stick sits squarely in front of the HSI ...

:pop4:...

I still enjoy the Pack 3 RF-4B version the best of them all - had the fewest screwy portover issues (chinks in the VC that allowed you to see the exterior, stuff like that). I too would enjoy a B/J model if one was ever produced native for FSX, as my slant is more toward the USN/USMC birds than the C/D/E/F models. Maybe I'll dig up the B model, and see if I can't get all the fixes Don and crew put together to work properly ... kudos to them for extending the life of an FS9 model as best they could .... :medals: Certainly Antonio D, Gus R, Russell S, Michael P, and a number of others have done some stellar repaints for them. Duckie (from here in SOH, aka Steve Bryant) did a phenomenal round of USMC birds. They were featured in the FS2004 forum, so in case you guys missed it ... they're superb!

DL

fxsttcb
June 17th, 2012, 08:54
I backseated this one to Top Gun back in May '75; http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/images/f4/f43901.html

This is my FSX rendition of that plane using the Pack 1 Virtavia bird and a modified Steve Bryant(Ducky) texture set;

I still tweak a little on it and one of these days I'll get the consoles sorted out a little better and redo the main VC panel to be more real...Don

expat
June 17th, 2012, 12:19
I still enjoy the Pack 3 RF-4B version the best of them all

DL have you - or anyone else - got the radar screens to display anthing on the photo-phantom? I can't find anything to switch on and always get two dark circles with all avionics on.

delta_lima
June 17th, 2012, 12:40
DL have you - or anyone else - got the radar screens to display anthing on the photo-phantom? I can't find anything to switch on and always get two dark circles with all avionics on.

No Ex, I haven't. I'm usually not hung up on working radar on most FSX a/c, so it doesn't bother me. Maybe I would find it more of an issue on the fighter versions.

DL

fxsttcb
June 18th, 2012, 15:20
I couldn't find a good round RADAR or other gauge for the smaller one on the left. but, filled the vacancies with a smaller version.
Like the 2D, click R/L works...Don

[Window00]
gauge44=Virtavia Phantom Set3!RADAR2, 356,277,122,120

[Vcockpit02]
gauge27=Virtavia Phantom Set3!RADAR2, 505,268,250,245
gauge28=Virtavia Phantom Set3!RADAR2, 274,287,195,192

AusWilko
June 18th, 2012, 16:44
I backseated this one to Top Gun back in May '75; http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/images/f4/f43901.html

This is my FSX rendition of that plane using the Pack 1 Virtavia bird and a modified Steve Bryant(Ducky) texture set;

I still tweak a little on it and one of these days I'll get the consoles sorted out a little better and redo the main VC panel to be more real...Don

I'd be very interested in what ever tweaks you do for these as I love my phantoms :salute:

expat
June 19th, 2012, 03:12
Am now "rediscovering" the RF-4B's and USMC F-4B/J birds - lots of character! Found some more paints by Duckie and Michael Pearson on Avsim and even an AI version of Nick Black's AI phantom which I will set up at El Toro. This is why I never seem to tire of this hobby.

Don - thanks for the gauge coordinates and will give them a try. I am using your 2d in the photo-phantoms and your 2D and VC in the fighters. All working very nicely. :applause: One thing I have found is that if I use the sim=RR Phantom entry the AP then sends the plane completely out of control (with any panel). Reverting to the Pack 1 airfile fixed this - and shouldn't be incorrect either for the RF-4B. I use both the two wing tank (model 11(?)) and the three tank, model=1_3 which looks cool on the RF.

fxsttcb
June 19th, 2012, 08:39
Am now "rediscovering" the RF-4B's and USMC F-4B/J birds - lots of character! Found some more paints by Duckie and Michael Pearson on Avsim and even an AI version of Nick Black's AI phantom which I will set up at El Toro. This is why I never seem to tire of this hobby.

Don - thanks for the gauge coordinates and will give them a try. I am using your 2d in the photo-phantoms and your 2D and VC in the fighters. All working very nicely. :applause: One thing I have found is that if I use the sim=RR Phantom entry the AP then sends the plane completely out of control (with any panel). Reverting to the Pack 1 airfile fixed this - and shouldn't be incorrect either for the RF-4B. I use both the two wing tank (model 11(?)) and the three tank, model=1_3 which looks cool on the RF.
I've scarfed up a ton o' paints too! I'll have to look for Nick's AI Phantom. I have the Fernando Martinez AI, downloaded but haven't made an FP using them yet.

From what I see, comparing the Phantom II vs RR_Phantom II(side by side in a spreadsheet), the aerodynamics are vastly different.
I'm not familiar with all of the differences between the RR vs GE powered planes, but, I only expected the Engine sections to be different in the N1 vs N2 areas, and thrust vs N1 vs throttle curves.

If I can sort out what is more accurate between the two, I'll delete the defunct FS2k2/FS9 entries and attempt an FSX only merge.
Then with a working FG series it will be selectable in the aircraft.cfg for those RR powered birds.

Does anyone know how much was changed in the airframe and/or control to accommodate the FG? Big change in FDE?...Don

[edit]BTW, don't look at the photo bird VC panel at an angle! The doggone gauges move out into space!

delta_lima
July 30th, 2012, 19:36
Hello Don,

I've dusted off the B models, and with the Gus and Steve B paints, they look nice too ... wondering if you've done anything with the VC since the original update ...

Nice models to huck off the E for pattern practice!

DL

expat
July 31st, 2012, 00:28
The flight modelling of the AS "Lead Sled" is quite forgiving making it more easy to trap than one might expect (at least compared to the RA-5C and F-8).

Stickshaker
July 31st, 2012, 02:20
For what it is worth, just to let you know. I received this today...

http://www.abacuspub.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=285

No world-beater I think, and not a carrier version, but it is FSX.

daisan
July 31st, 2012, 04:53
Looks like the AFS Design F4F. I think that it is the same plane. And F4F and british phantom is really far away from being historically accurate...

AusWilko
July 31st, 2012, 04:57
Waiting for A2A is hard

peter12213
July 31st, 2012, 12:25
I use the Iris F4 as Deltalima said for my RN fix lol, however the Cloud9 model can't be ported into fsx unfortunately not fully anyway. However it stills looks great in the sim from outside, but can't wait for a good set of late 60's era USN and RN Phantoms just for FSX Accel!:salute:

delta_lima
August 1st, 2012, 09:20
Hello,

2 questions:

1) With Don's (FXSTTCB's) panel fixes, I still get a sizeable chink of outside view down on the lower left side panel. I get it with all repaints I've tried (Pierre L, Steve B, and all but one of Gus R). Oddly, on the NMC (Red Pumpkin) from Gus R, I don't - the VC is "air tight". Same panel, checked to see I have all the same VC textures ... truly weird.

2) I'm trying to track down Pierre's VAQ-33 Firebirds repaint. There are two versions on Avsim, but neither seems to be the actual repaint - but rather a stock Alphasim paint. Does anyone have these - or even one - ideally, th grey nose? That would be so much appreciated. The repaint looks like so:

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=262116

Again, many thanks!

DL

fxsttcb
August 1st, 2012, 11:16
I also have a hole-in-the-fuse at the junction of the left console and utility panel. I always though it was a modeling issue!
Point me to a download for "NMC (Red Pumpkin) from Gus R" and mebbe I can finger it out.
Besides that it would make a good AI for Roosie Roads...

The "Greynose" I have, has mismarked outer wings. I can't remember where it came from, but, I'll check the bitmaps vs the ones at Avsim.

A2A...zzz...A2A...zzZ...A2A...zZZ...A2A...ZZZ...st ill dreaming of the day...Don

delta_lima
August 1st, 2012, 11:59
I also have a hole-in-the-fuse at the junction of the left console and utility panel. I always though it was a modeling issue!
Point me to a download for "NMC (Red Pumpkin) from Gus R" and mebbe I can finger it out.
Besides that it would make a good AI for Roosie Roads...

The "Greynose" I have, has mismarked outer wings. I can't remember where it came from, but, I'll check the bitmaps vs the ones at Avsim.

A2A...zzz...A2A...zzZ...A2A...zZZ...A2A...ZZZ...st ill dreaming of the day...Don

Thanks Don - you're awesome.

NMC is here ... http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004acrp&DLID=62393

Appreciate the help.

DL

fxsttcb
August 1st, 2012, 13:26
"texture.greynose.zip" at Avsim is the one I have. It still has the mismarked wings too.

Gus' NMC texture has the same "see thru" on my Pack 1, model "2"(Var 1), and "3"(Var 2), planes, so, I don't know what goes on there.

Weirdness reigns with these beasties! I've got so many panel variations and texture sets now, I can't tell what goes with what any more...Don

delta_lima
August 1st, 2012, 16:45
Thanks for trying.

Got the Pierre paints sorted - overwrote my config file by accident.

My NMC is fine given that the model I slaved it to is the clean (model=5) Weird, huh?

OK, on another note - paint recommendations for the IRIS model. My personal faves are edic's RCN what-if schemes, and Francisco Presa's VF-51. Of course, the default 700 Sqn paint that comes with it. Others' repaints have a bit of weirdness with them, in alignment of national insignia, colour correction, etc. Any others you've come to like? I saw you posted on another thread looking for a USMC paint to match a ride you took in one ... did that pan out?

DL

fxsttcb
August 2nd, 2012, 05:20
My NMC is fine given that the model I slaved it to is the clean (model=5) Weird, huh?
It's gotta be the texture mapping for that specific model then. Doggone it!

Ardie(RD) did a complete plane package with VMFA-232 Red Devils, VMFA-451 Warlords, and VMFA-531 Grey Ghosts, that look real good.
His WIP thread: http://forums.surclaro.com/topic19807-15.html
Package available here: http://www.surclaro.com/fsdownload-detail-20809.html
He's also working on a VMFA-251 '75 #1 version(My Request). Video of the WIP here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW5oZbKygkw

My 'puter is sick, so, right now, all I can do is look! For some reason, if a turbine engine is running, it turns into a slide show. All planes.
I really want to try his new FDE included in the package.

To create my #1 RW ride, I modded one of Ducky's VMFA-251 '75-'76 repaints.
Here's a shot of the original #5: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60329-FS9-Repaint-Virtavia-F-4J-Phantom-II-VMFA-251 and my rework for the numbers and tail colors:
Steve spent a lot of time and effort on the awesome detail. Thanks Ducky!

Gus Robatto's VMFA-333 is a little too clean, but, is the best "Mig Killer" repaint I could find:

Of course anything representative of MCAS Beaufort from the '70s is on my favorites list!...Don

delta_lima
August 2nd, 2012, 09:27
Hello Don,

I love Gus' 333 paint - my favourite non-recce model US paint hands down. Specifically, because it looks "used". I'm not at my fs pc now, but mine does not look at all like that. It looks like much of either the stencilling and/or panel lines are missing. Something looks funny there all right. Will check tonight and post a screenshot in sim.

Discovered something about the II pack last night. The I pack repaints work fairly well (just a small black area on the hump aft of the rear cockpit - if the area is supposed to be black, like some seventies' era USN paints, you hardly notice it.). The advantage is, like expat pointed out, is the ability to use the 2-tank model that comes in that pack. For me, that's huge. I prefer weapons in my military sims, and tanks in my FSX, so that's a real plus. That, and I think your (ie Don) pack II panel looks a bit better than the pack I panel. So it's another way to enjoy pack I paints ....

What about the IRIS model? I know it's RR-engined, but its VC is trouble-free. I'm impressed with Francisco Presa's VF-51 paint. I've tried Bruce Fitzgerald's and Nathan's, but there seems to be some accuracy issues here and there. So far, Presa's and Medic's are the ones to beat on the Iris model. While I like looking at the Alphasim models the most, I am really enjoying the flyability of the Iris model, even if its the FG1, which is of course not a a B/J/N model.

cheers,

DL

expat
August 2nd, 2012, 10:21
Pierre's VAQ-33 Firebirds paint is my favorite of my many other dozens of paints by far. It's the dirt and weathering which are just right and other hi res detailing. Tempted to use as a template to cut and paste together some other Nam era squadrons (in crude fashion) just for my own use.

Marine0326
August 25th, 2012, 21:43
It's gotta be the texture mapping for that specific model then. Doggone it!

Ardie(RD) did a complete plane package with VMFA-232 Red Devils, VMFA-451 Warlords, and VMFA-531 Grey Ghosts, that look real good.
His WIP thread: http://forums.surclaro.com/topic19807-15.html
Package available here: http://www.surclaro.com/fsdownload-detail-20809.html
He's also working on a VMFA-251 '75 #1 version(My Request). Video of the WIP here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW5oZbKygkw

My 'puter is sick, so, right now, all I can do is look! For some reason, if a turbine engine is running, it turns into a slide show. All planes.
I really want to try his new FDE included in the package.

To create my #1 RW ride, I modded one of Ducky's VMFA-251 '75-'76 repaints.
Here's a shot of the original #5: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?60329-FS9-Repaint-Virtavia-F-4J-Phantom-II-VMFA-251 and my rework for the numbers and tail colors:
Steve spent a lot of time and effort on the awesome detail. Thanks Ducky!

Gus Robatto's VMFA-333 is a little too clean, but, is the best "Mig Killer" repaint I could find:

Of course anything representative of MCAS Beaufort from the '70s is on my favorites list!...Don

lol... Thanks for the plug Brother. The upload available should have been for FS2004/FS9, NOT for FSX (admin mistake, not mine). I'm working on the FSX version now, with Carrier Ops, in mind as a priority. I'm kinda butchering your panel to where it is Carrier Ops, operational.

Your paint/texture is ready, whenever you want it. Knowing your PC has the flu, I've held off from sending it to you, till it gets better.

When I finish the FSX version upload, it will have the same 3 paints, and yours, included.

I'm getting help from a few friends in France helping out on the Carrier Ops side of things. So it may take a few more weeks or so, before it is ready to go.

Don't hold your breath just yet. But when it is done and over with, it WILL, take your breath away.

Ardie / RD

fxsttcb
August 26th, 2012, 05:58
I love Gus' 333 paint - my favourite non-recce model US paint hands down. Specifically, because it looks "used".
My bad! The shot I called a repaint earlier was Gus' default 333 version!
I have both of his newer 333 paints from Avsim, the 32bit and DXT3 and his FS9 original Pack 1 "texture.1".
Quite different is an understatement.

Your paint/texture is ready, whenever you want it. Knowing your PC has the flu, I've held off from sending it to you, till it gets better.Send it! :jump: Other than some minor issues, I've got FSX working pretty good again.
Something is causing a memory leak so any flights over about 2 hours are causing an OOM. Weird.
If I remember and reload the plane at about 95% memory usage(no sooner), I can continue ad infinitum!

As for Carrier Ops I still use Rob's RCBO-30/COP3 stuff, augmented with Sylvain's RFN(V3 now) gauge.

I'm working on a new darker panel for my Pack 1 planes.

I'm gonna try to do a Phantom HSI with a seperate "Mode" switch to mimic all of the RFN functions. Hopefully it will work well enough that a seperate popup won't be necessary.
An attempt at a new version of my fictional F-4 HUD is also in the works to display ILS/ACLS steering...Don

falcon409
August 26th, 2012, 06:02
Just reading through the pages of this thread, I am hit with an obvious question. . .what developer would want to tackle the F-4 Phantom? I always thought it was an awesome airplane (worked on the D/E models for about 6 years) both on the ground and in the air, but reading all the comments about this variation and that variation I would think it'll end up being a nightmare unless A2A models every single version in every single loadout ever seen by every single enthusiast who's eagerly waiting for the final release, lol. I don't know what A2A is working on, but to please everyone they'll have to release it on a DVD rather than as a download, lol.

Also, in the 6 years I worked on the Phantoms I never heard it referred to as the "Lead Sled", however that is what we called the F-100 Super Saber during the 60's when I was active duty.:salute:

falcon409
August 26th, 2012, 07:31
Just a quickie update on the A2A Phantom. According to their latest video update, they will produce 2 GA aircraft, then the F-104, then the F-4. . . .so the Phantom is still quite a ways out from any release.:salute:

hschuit
August 26th, 2012, 08:02
While it seems a decent F-4 might be 2 or more years away, at least we have Mark Harper's Alphasim USN, RAF and recce models which are still the best looking ones I have seen. Have been reworking the Brit pit VC panel a bit:

delta_lima
August 26th, 2012, 08:24
In experimenting with the various versions, I made an interesting discovery. There is a way to resolve the problem of not having a tanks-only option on the naval non-recce birds. The RF- of course, works fine - but this refers to the B/J/N birds.

You can get a big nose, 2 tank option by using the model from the Pack 2 C/D models. And the paints from Pack 1 fit quite well - save for a bit of an untextured hump area aft of the RIO, and a bit of a gap around the IR seeker. Now I know it's a bit of a bodge fix, but since a lot of us like that unarmed, but 2-tank option on the naval birds, maybe a small fix / kit could be done to adapt a Pack 1 paint to Pack 2 models. It would mean also flying the naval birds with an Air Force C/D cockpit, but that's a compromise I'd be able to live with. I find that Don's Pack 2 cockpit is probably the best of the two pack upgrades.

The only thing to remember - unless you go "clean" loadouts, you'll always have a couple of gaps into the outside from the VC - at least now, in the current cockpits.

Cheers,

DL

PS: Ardie, what's this cockpit fix you're talking about ... sounds very intriguing!!! Looking forward to whatever anyone is doing with the AS Phantoms. Good job on your recent shots on your project(S) too, Don!

fxsttcb
August 26th, 2012, 08:28
Just a quickie update on the A2A Phantom. According to their latest video update, they will produce 2 GA aircraft, then the F-104, then the F-4. . . .so the Phantom is still quite a ways out from any release.:salute:Yessir. From what I gather, doing the F-104's J79 with Accusim first, will make the F-4 twin J-79's that much easier to incorporate afterwards.
It seems I have been ogling that A2A Pilot Lounge Phantom thread forever...and forever...and forever...
Until the A2A bird materializes, I guess I'll just keep plugging away at what is available.:running: I enjoy doing this stuff anyhow...Don

Marine0326
August 26th, 2012, 09:07
You guys are not the only ones waiting for the A2A F4!!! Was really hoping it would have been out this year, or early next year. From the look of it, 2015 looks more realistic.

Don, here's pics of what I've done to your panel. I've added the COP3.0 to it, but only as an added window. I'm working with the French guys that made the RFN TACAN on getting the IFLOLS working as a separate window. As well, a true working AoA when your tuned in with the TACAN. Here's a few shots of my panel so far. You get the best of both worlds. You can use FSX Acceleration, or the COP3.0 for Carrier Ops. I do like the new darker look of your panel. If anything, I'd like to see/use it as a Beta tester.

I'll send you the textures in a couple hours. The FSX F4 Package will have your paint included in it.

RD / Ardie

AusWilko
August 26th, 2012, 12:35
Looking forward to whatever upgrades can be made, such a awesome jet