PDA

View Full Version : T-45C Goshawk and F-14D Tomcat updates

Dino Cattaneo
June 14th, 2012, 01:14
I am taking a small break from the F-35 project (btw Beta 2 testing is now finished and the project is looking good) and I am reviewing the status of my T-45C and F-14D project.

The T-45C will receive a very small update to the existing model, to get rid of a couple of minor things that I find annoying. Here is a partial list of the changes:

- Changed external model canopy glass reflection to get rid of separate DX9/DX10 models. The new glass material (textured) looks OK in both modes.
- Fixed texture folder cfg for texture aliasing
- Added all the repaints from Jiri Soukup (which include the outstanding Centennial Of Naval Aviation schemes that were missing from the original package)
- Minor fixes to virtual cockpit (mainly misalignment of some switches)
- Improved HUD symbol generator (should look slightly better now)
- Redone all thumbnails for visual consistency in FSX menu

Here is a picture from one of Jiri's repaints:

As for the F-14D I am working on a major rework - it will take some time. For the moment only the pilot cockpit is planned - but there will be provisions to add the RIO one later on.

Here are very preliminary pics of the unfinished external model:

67466 67467

Both projects will be freeware - and for both suggestions and comments are most welcome, especially by users who know well the current versions and their shortcomings.

As usual, more details on my blog:

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/

Felixthreeone
June 14th, 2012, 03:21
Great stuff! And thank you Dino!

papab
June 14th, 2012, 03:24
Thank you Dino!
Rick

Dave Torkington
June 14th, 2012, 03:45
Great work Dino,

Your attention to detail is really inspiring - I might even push a few polygons and pixels round later!

Dave :salute:

IanHenry
June 14th, 2012, 03:50
Many thanks for your efforts Dino, those really are something to look forward too (and not forgeting the F-35!)

Regards,
Ian.

Jafo
June 14th, 2012, 05:49
Am looking forward to them both....;)

JAllen
June 14th, 2012, 06:35
You are amazing. :salute:

thetford569
June 14th, 2012, 11:23
great news Dino! The only other comments/suggestions I have would be to further integrate the BINGO/LAW level settings to line up with the Bitchin' Betty Sounds. Currently you get a HUD indication but the sounds are defaulted to the settings for the default FSX Hornet avionics. The only other problem is the launching from the catapult and ending up at 250+knots. Don't know if that can be fixed though as it might be an FSX limitation?

Brandon

mjrhealth
June 14th, 2012, 11:56
With regards the catapult issue its a FSX thing, although RFN crowd manged to come with a workd around for a couple of their planes, I think it is instigated into the model and uses the break relaese as the cataput trigger insted of the default space bar,

ST0RM
June 14th, 2012, 13:32
Thanks Dino. Both models were excellent, so more attention from you can only push them higher.

-Jeff

skyblazer3
June 14th, 2012, 13:34
Dino,

I bought your F-35 and really enjoyed it, and I also really like your T-45 and F-14.

However, when flying the T-45 and F-14 in multiplayer (early versions of both), there were strange problems with internet-lag caused by the aircraft. At the time, we thought perhaps the models were just too detailed. But now knowing what we do about repeating codes that cause server-flooding and produce internet lag -- I was wondering if you've looked at that issue with the airplanes you make, and if they are smooth in multiplayer now.

Cheers,

Chris

letourn
June 14th, 2012, 16:25
Thank for those update and of course the soon to be release f-35

heywooood
June 14th, 2012, 16:51
this is great news Dino - The two main reasons (along with Javiers Nimitz) that I fly FSX

and BtW - whenever I talk about my FSX habit to anyone - the first things I mention are your contributions (T-45 and Tomcat)
..and the fact that some of the best things in life ARE free

neutrino
June 14th, 2012, 22:08
Dino,

I bought your F-35 and really enjoyed it, and I also really like your T-45 and F-14.

However, when flying the T-45 and F-14 in multiplayer (early versions of both), there were strange problems with internet-lag caused by the aircraft. At the time, we thought perhaps the models were just too detailed. But now knowing what we do about repeating codes that cause server-flooding and produce internet lag -- I was wondering if you've looked at that issue with the airplanes you make, and if they are smooth in multiplayer now.

Cheers,

Chris
Hi Crhis, can you elaborate on these "repeating codes that cause server-flooding and produce internet lag"? What have you found?

skyblazer3
June 16th, 2012, 00:47
I haven't found anything personally -- but I know that the Realair Duke, and the Milviz T-38, and the CaptainSim C-130 had these problems -- Realair and Milviz have corrected the issue with a patch.

There is a problem with some coding that calls on certain functions again and again -- and if these are things that are transmitted in multiplayer, then it will flood a multiplayer server and create internet lag that affects the position of aircraft and default FSX communications.

Perhaps a coder from Milviz or SimSKunkworks can elaborate on this -- because they are keenly aware of the issue.

There is also a developer utility that measures if aircraft are causing this problem. I'm sorry I'm not of more use, I'm just a dumb pilot.

Cheers,

Chris

neutrino
June 16th, 2012, 01:59
Hey Chris, thanks! I just stumbled upon such issues before, and I was wondering what might cause it, but your answer gave me some extra information that is helpful.

I haven't found anything personally -- but I know that the Realair Duke, and the Milviz T-38, and the CaptainSim C-130 had these problems -- Realair and Milviz have corrected the issue with a patch.

There is a problem with some coding that calls on certain functions again and again -- and if these are things that are transmitted in multiplayer, then it will flood a multiplayer server and create internet lag that affects the position of aircraft and default FSX communications.

Perhaps a coder from Milviz or SimSKunkworks can elaborate on this -- because they are keenly aware of the issue.

There is also a developer utility that measures if aircraft are causing this problem. I'm sorry I'm not of more use, I'm just a dumb pilot.

Cheers,

Chris

fxsttcb
June 16th, 2012, 04:19
There is also a developer utility that measures if aircraft are causing this problem.
I think what you are refering to is Event Logger by Doug Dawson. It is a gauge you place in a panel that logs to a text file.
It only responds to the Events contained in the SDK. If the issue is with a Gauge(G:Var) or Local(L:Var) it won't be recognized.
Search the flightsim library for "Event Logger". Both FS9 and FSX versions should show up. Extremely useful...Don

rcbarend
June 16th, 2012, 06:49
Hey Chris, thanks! I just stumbled upon such issues before, and I was wondering what might cause it, but your answer gave me some extra information that is helpful.
Hi JR,

I've been "fighting" this "continuous event" problem induced by many gauges, since I started to create xml gauges (for FS2K2).
The most infamous one probably being continously forcing the Smokesystem either On or Off, depending on a condition.

This problem can always be avoided, by checking if it's necessary to issue an event (ie. only issue the event if the current state of the corresponding var is different then the intended one). Even works for axis events.

Besides flooding a MP server, this "continuous event" problem also causes multi-keystroke sequences, like SH-E 2 (open exit-2), to fail.

Cheers, Rob

griphos
June 16th, 2012, 11:35
Actually, the T-45 doesn't flood, but the F-14D does. We fly the T-45 fairly regularly at DTP and have checked it carefully, and it's fine. Haven't figured out what is causing the F-14 to flood though.

Wingnut172N
June 16th, 2012, 13:09
I am currently a Student Naval Aviator (SNA) learning to fly the T-45C. I have used your model extensively for cockpit familiarization.

Is there any way that on the external model we could correct the launch bar animation during gear retraction? On the real jet the launch bar retracts upwards against the strut, not downward against the wheels?

Also, when the Goshawk is shut down the gear doors are usually opened, and the flaps droop (not the slats, though). Any way that this could be added to the model?

Bone
June 17th, 2012, 06:30
Also, when the Goshawk is shut down the gear doors are usually opened, and the flaps droop (not the slats, though). Any way that this could be added to the model?

The first version or two that Dino did the gear doors did droop at shutdown. The problem with this was that when you recorded a flight with FSrecorder, the gear doors would animate in the drooped position. As with many things in FSX, a compromise was made. You won't get to see the doors droop after shutdown for the five seconds you'd spend in the outside view looking at them, so you won't have to see them droop for the duration of a formation flight in FSrecorder. An acceptable compromise, lol.

neutrino
June 18th, 2012, 01:17
Glad to see you here, Rob :) Thanks for the clarification. I should check some of my gauges for this bug.

Hi JR,

I've been "fighting" this "continuous event" problem induced by many gauges, since I started to create xml gauges (for FS2K2).
The most infamous one probably being continously forcing the Smokesystem either On or Off, depending on a condition.

This problem can always be avoided, by checking if it's necessary to issue an event (ie. only issue the event if the current state of the corresponding var is different then the intended one). Even works for axis events.

Besides flooding a MP server, this "continuous event" problem also causes multi-keystroke sequences, like SH-E 2 (open exit-2), to fail.

Cheers, Rob

Dino Cattaneo
June 20th, 2012, 00:29
All,

thanks for you feedback and appreciation!
Unfortunately I had a major hard disk failure which has caused some delay to my projects... All source files are safe, but I had to replace the hard disk and format/reinstall everything (and I lost my custom Eglin scenery in the process)...

I have to confess that I was completely unaware of the "event flood" multiplayer issue.
I believe that, for the Tomcat, it may be due to the XML code that controls the flap retraction before swinging the wings... as it is basically the only piece of custom XML code I can remember (everything else is stock F/A-18).

As for the T-45, bone is right. The first versions had an animation that opened progressively the gear doors and flaps when the engine was off, simulating the relaxation of the hydraulic system... but this feature was then removed as it created glitches in several cases (multiplayer, recording, a/c selection menus and more)...
The launch bar animation can surely be fixed (I will see if there is a video on youtube to replicate that...although I do not recall seeing one).

Again, thanks a lot

heywooood
June 20th, 2012, 06:26
looking for your landing gear cycle test video came across this cool audio...ATC around the carrier...# 13 down the list

http://wn.com/Aviation_communication

(http://wn.com/Aviation_communication)

Dino Cattaneo
June 21st, 2012, 00:39
Launch bar animation fixed - thanks

Dino

Dino Cattaneo
June 21st, 2012, 23:55
Should you want to make a test flight on the updated Goshawk, an untested version is available for download on my blog:

indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com (http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com)

IanHenry
June 22nd, 2012, 00:46
Thanks Dino,
downloading now.

Regards,
Ian.

dvj
June 22nd, 2012, 07:37
The only thing I would change would be the head movements of the Pilot and Instructor in this otherwise excellent sim. Seems like too much movement.

Sideshow
June 22nd, 2012, 08:05
Many thanks Dino, I love your T-45 and can't wait for the updated F-14!

Tartuffe
June 22nd, 2012, 11:25
Thanks Dino !
:jump:

doublecool
June 22nd, 2012, 23:28
Thank you Dino for both pf these Beauties

:salute::applause::wavey:

XLR8
June 23rd, 2012, 13:26
Looking good Dino. You sure are talented at this stuff. Still waiting for that F-35.

Dino Cattaneo
June 25th, 2012, 01:39
I've found that in version 2.20 there were some duplicate files and I've removed them. Package has been upgraded to version 2.21 and has been uploaded to flightsim and avsim.

As for the F-35, it will be out in (hopefully) few weeks.

The F-14 is looking great...but the cockpit needs a lot of work and there will be nothing ready before autumn...

cortomalteseit
June 25th, 2012, 02:09
Dino, thanks a lot for your continuos improvement of these projects, they represent two of the best freeware models ever made for FSX.
Tonight I'll try the new version of the Goshawk, looking forward to the F-35 and F-14 releases!
Ciao!

Victory103
June 25th, 2012, 07:26
Nice to wake up to seeing the latest version of one of my 2 fav Dino models. Getting the T-45 fired up for some MOA work around NAS Kingsville, then out to the boat for CQ!

Bone
June 25th, 2012, 07:40
Thank you for the model, Dino, it's much appreciated. Grazie!

gradyhappyg
June 25th, 2012, 13:09
Over at Avsim. Ver.221.
Thanks again your planes were the main reason I got FSX acceleration.

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=169634

neutrino
June 25th, 2012, 23:08
And here is the original trailer :)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sC2KPcQOEhU?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>