PDA

View Full Version : Douglas X3 Stiletto

hurricane3
June 13th, 2012, 14:39
Ok got it right this time. I wiil wait for OBIO's update of the X3 before I do anything else but problem is because I don't know what the heck I'am doing ,I can never get Obio's updates to work. Not his fault at all, but when I use his updates the plane either doesn't appear or has blank textures.
So when you do the update for the X3 OBIO, could you give a kind of X3 for dummies ,readme?
If that doesn't work ,War Horse 47 could you tell me what folders to put where?I read your post and reread it a dozen times and am still not sure what to do with those Ref texture files.
Lacking that I'll leave well enough alone and live with the Wrong Stuff.
Again please ,please OBIO don't think I'am dishing your work in any way ,I just don't know what I'am doing.

WarHorse47
June 13th, 2012, 15:41
Not a problem, Hurricane.

While we are waiting for OBIO's tweaks, lets try this.

Using Microsoft Explorer, go to your FS9 install and look for the X-3 Stiletto folder under the main Aircraft folder. Inside the X-3 Stiletto folder are subfolders for model, panel, sound, texture and texture.Ref.

Okay. So far, so good. Now go to the texture.Ref folder, and there is a subfolder called texture.Ref2004. Open it up, and there are 3 bmp files. Now select all three files with your mouse, or whatever. Right click that mouse, and select 'Cut' because we are now going to move those files.

Now, take your mouse and point inside the texture.Ref folder. Right click your mouse, and select paste. You should get a message asking if you want to overwrite the existing files. Say, "Yes." Now, you are done.

The next time you fire up FS9, go to 'Douglas' as the manufacturer and select the X-3 Stiletto. For the variation select the one with the "Reflect Parts." When loaded you will see a very nice, reflective shiny finish on the wings and exhausts.

Don't be afraid. If you screw up, just reinstall from the zip file and start all over again. That's how I learned. Just hang in there. We're all here to help. As a last resort (I always have a Plan B), I'll zip up my install and send it to ya'.
:ernae:
--WH

hurricane3
June 13th, 2012, 17:25
Thankyou so very much War Horse,I followed you directions,although I copied and pasted cause that what I always do instead of cut and it worked perfectly ,just as you said. Wings and tailpipe are reflective and I have both reflective and nonreflective versions.
I can't thank you enough , for taking the time to make the directions simple to follow.

WarHorse47
June 13th, 2012, 17:58
No problem, Hurricane.

I just put together a couple screenshots just in case.

67442 67443

67444 67445

:ernae:

Cheers
--WH

OBIO
June 13th, 2012, 18:47
Hurricane

When I get the X3 updated and ready to upload, the only thing you will need to do is to drop the model folder and air file into the package. The config file, texture folders, panel folder, sound folder will all be ready to roll.

OBIO

OBIO
June 13th, 2012, 21:35
Working on the VC panel and gauges tonight. Got the VC panel repainted (mostly...just the area where the gauges reside) and have many of the gauges replaced with better and more functional gauges. Some of the gauges Ito had on in place had me scratching my head. Still have some that I need to replace with better gauges.....then comes the task of adjusting size and location to match up with the new gauge housings.

I have the geometry of the aircraft tweaked so that the visual model and the simulated model are lined up.....the wings are now where the visible wings are instead of being way behind the wings....thus the plane lifts better, flies better, is more stable. I need to do some research to find out the real weights, fuel capacity and such to try to get this plane dialed in. I have read that the X3 had a 260 knot take off and landing speed and that it took something like 12,000 feet to get airborne (talk about a LONG take off roll!).

OBIO

SSI01
June 14th, 2012, 03:19
What you've read matches what I've seen as well. The publication I saw also said the aircraft never exceeded the sound barrier despite Douglas's best hopes. It was a little underpowered, plus it wasn't area-ruled.