PDA

View Full Version : Bell X3 Stiletto

hurricane3
June 12th, 2012, 15:03
I downloaded the BellX3 Stiletto from Ito San but can't get it to show up in the sim. It's in the aircraft folder in the root sim of FS9 but will not show under anything in the sim.
Also I don't understand his instructions for making the plane glossy. He says to over write the folder texture ref but I can't understand what I'am supposed to do.
I tried changeing the sound file with the one from the Dh 100 Vampire but stilll no luck.
It's not under Bell or X3Stiletto.
Anyone know what I'am doing wrong?

OBIO
June 12th, 2012, 16:52
Try looking under Douglas. It's the Douglas X3 Stilleto. Not Bell.

OBIO

Sunny9850
June 12th, 2012, 17:03
Having fallen into that trap a time or two....well a few more times of course to be honest, when aircraft creators chose to list their work under their own "company" name rather than the real world manufacturers it is by now ver much my custom to simply open the aircraft.cfg file for each new installation and check the UI_manufacturer= line and see what is listed there.

For my own use I always correct that to the real world manufacturer and add the creators credentials under the Comments section.

Cheers
Stefan

hurricane3
June 12th, 2012, 17:27
I thought sure that the X3 was built by Bell. I checked under Douglas and sure enough there it was. The plane does have a slight gloss from certain angles but I still can't figure out what Ito is talking about with the Ref texture business. Doesn't really matter cause I can live with it the way it is,I'd just like to know what he means.
The main thing is ,first, thanks Stefan for your comment and next ,wecome back OBIO. I thought you were gone for good. I have read your posts in newshawks but am so glad to have you back in the 2004 forum.
Best of luck,I got both you guys six.

WarHorse47
June 12th, 2012, 18:58
Nah. You are not dumb.

I look at this a/c once, and set it aside. After your post I decided to give it another try and possibly answer your question.

It has two texture folders as you noted. The texture.Ref is specific for reflective shine. My interpretation of Ito's notes are that if you install the a/c under FS 2004, you want to use the files in the subfolder, Texture.Ref2004. I just went for broke and copied the two files to Texture.Ref - overwriting the existing files.

In comparing the differences in files, it appears that the reflective parts (wing, exhaust, etc.) are darker on the replacement files giving it a better shine. It looks great on my old box.

:ernae:
--WH

hawkeye52
June 12th, 2012, 19:09
Having fallen into that trap a time or two....well a few more times of course to be honest, when aircraft creators chose to list their work under their own "company" name rather than the real world manufacturers it is by now ver much my custom to simply open the aircraft.cfg file for each new installation and check the UI_manufacturer= line and see what is listed there.

For my own use I always correct that to the real world manufacturer and add the creators credentials under the Comments section.

Cheers
Stefan

Amen!
- h52

OBIO
June 12th, 2012, 19:15
Doing a bit of tweaking to this bird. Aircraft Geometry is lined up, some contact point tweaks, will add some effects, improve the VC gauges. Right now working on a paint kit.

OBIO

hurricane3
June 13th, 2012, 06:07
Although I still feel like a dumbo head, thankyou for being kind enough to help me out. You all help to make the mental problems I have more bareable.

hurricane3
June 13th, 2012, 06:48
I had just downloaded the sound track from the Right Stuff and that got me in the mood for X-planes,although I never cared for them much before.
So I dug out the Bell x1 and update and installed those, so I had Bell on my tiny brain.
Not an excuse (well ya it kinda is) but thats why I was thinking the X3 was made by Bell.
I don't usually like streamlined planes but I had the Reville( don't think thats spelled right) model of the X3 when I was a kid and it always appealed to me.

WarHorse47
June 13th, 2012, 15:44
Doing a bit of tweaking to this bird. Aircraft Geometry is lined up, some contact point tweaks, will add some effects, improve the VC gauges. Right now working on a paint kit.

OBIOFantastic, OBIO.

Did you notice the issue with the lower, left corner of the 2D panel?

I tried to clean it up, but may end up just skipping the 2D alltogether.

:ernae:
--WH

hurricane3
June 13th, 2012, 17:31
Yes I noticed that thingy in the lower left of the 2d panel.Have no clue what it is. It doesn't do anything,looks like what you find on a vidieo to fast forword and control the vidieo.

OBIO
June 13th, 2012, 18:56
Did not notice the problem on the 2D...I very very rarely use 2D panels....but I will take a look see at the area.

OBIO

Just looked at the 2D panel...that thing looks like some sort of media controller....it's actually part of the 2D panel background. Will try to clean it up.

awj112
June 14th, 2012, 07:51

Cheers
Stefan

Iris does/ did this as does Virtavia at least for the older models. Kind of inconvenient.

WarHorse47
June 17th, 2012, 13:36
Thought I might check in on the progress of the OBIO's tweaks, and bump up this thread.

:bump::bump::bump:

--WH