PDA

View Full Version : Saved by the NMG Volunteers

Milton Shupe
June 6th, 2012, 18:39
The old Warbirds Archive had 4,700 files that needed to be moved to the new library or be lost forever come August.

The only way to move them is to download each one, capture the data, and upload to the new library.

We have 16 volunteers who are rescuing these files right now.

Our experience is that 15 files require 80 minutes on average to capture the data, download, then upload to the new library system.
So, 420 hours are being invested to preserve these files in FS9. FSX and the CFS forums are going through the same process.

As a volunteer, when uploading someone elses file, we are using "NMG" to indicate a volunteer did the upload.

So if you are an "Upload Contributor" of 2010 or older files, you may see your old files show with "NMG" as the contributor with your name in the description.

You may read this as, "This file was rescued from the old archive by a volunteer".

You can see our progress by looking at the first post in this thread above.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?67519-SOH-Warbird-Archive-Library-Needs-Your-Help

patful
June 7th, 2012, 15:27
Okay, I'll bite. What does NMG mean? And thanks for the basic intro video for Gmax! It helped me relax a bit before I start.

Milton Shupe
June 7th, 2012, 16:10
Okay, I'll bite. What does NMG mean? And thanks for the basic intro video for Gmax! It helped me relax a bit before I start.

NMG was setup for the purpose of reloading files over the years for members' names who/that were no longer active, therefore "Non-Member Group" of uploads for non-members.

Rather than using your own name or handle, use NMG as a valid submitter name.

mgchrist5
June 8th, 2012, 03:55
Our experience is that 15 files require 80 minutes on average to capture the data, download, then upload to the new library system.
So, 420 hours are being invested to preserve these files in FS9.

:icon_eek:

Amazing effort. Many many thanks to all those who've given their time to perform this task. I had no idea such time efforts were involved.