PDA

View Full Version : D-DAY ANNIVERSARY

Fibber
June 6th, 2012, 05:27
Let us all not forget that not only did this month ahve the anniversary of Midway but today is the anniversary of the landing that really started it all. D-Day 6 June 1944.:salute:
Also keep in mind how tenuous was the hold that the Allied forces had and it could have gone the other way and dragged the war on ad-infinum. I had a relative that started out in the Navy and was assigned to a landing party. During the invasion a call was sent for more personnel on one section of the beach and he, and others from his ship, were thrown into the battle on the beach and some actually finished the war walking towards Berlin as infantryman. I guess that someone forgot they were squids. He used to tell me how he and his friends would have to scrounge everything they needed as they marched as no one had and idea what unit he belonged to for record keeping! At one point I thought this was a sea story until I did run across a reference to landing parties being thrown ashore during one point of the invasion.
He is long gone now, as are many others. Sad that not ALL of their tribulations were collected. Some were funny and some really heartrendering tragic.

As the song said "... The Longest Day, will last forever more...." (Till revisionists strike it from the books)

Worthless
June 6th, 2012, 10:45
It was a different time and maybe the dangers seemed more imperative to them, but anyway, they went and lots died to fight against tyranny and protect our freedoms. Sad to say most people today don't know the significance of June 6th. I'm just glad some still do. Guess tonight would be a good one to pull out my set of DVD's of Band of Brothers.

Tako_Kichi
June 6th, 2012, 14:00
Sad to say most people today don't know the significance of June 6th. I'm just glad some still do.

I always remember this day as my late father took part in the D-Day landings.

MaskRider
June 6th, 2012, 14:04
Interesting point about Midway- speaking of battles that started it all.

It was the sacrifice of Torpedo Squadron 8- drawing the Japanese air cover down to wave top level- that made possible the successful dive bombing attack that destroyed the Japanese carriers. After the the Japanese defeat at Midway, Stalin was finally convinced that he had nothing to fear from Japan in the east. As a result, he granted permission to move the fresh, well trained Siberian divisions west to join the fighting on his western front- against the Germans. Many would argue that it was the freeing up of the Russia's Siberian reserves- a direct result the Battle of Midway- that led to the annihilation of the German 6th Army at Stalingrad, what some would argue was the real beginning of the end for the Germans.

I always like to get that little point in there for Torpedo 8.

MR

Shadow Wolf 07
June 7th, 2012, 11:02
US Rangers and the 1SSF "Devils Brigade's" troopers led the allied advance into Rome on Jun 5th.

miamieagle
June 9th, 2012, 13:50
They where all Heroe as far as I"am concern. Whether they fought in the European thearter of war or the Pacific theater it really does not matter. They where all fighting Tyranny.:salute::USA-flag:

dmaloof
June 9th, 2012, 15:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMoNSFmACWI&feature=related