PDA

View Full Version : Mission over 64k limit

stuart277
June 1st, 2012, 19:57
Hi all
I am working on some IJN and RAF missions in the Indian Ocean 1942. (I found that Jerm and C Burgess have done these already, but I my as well keep on going as it is all part of the learning experience). In a couple of missions I have added a fair bit of scenery and a fair few aircraft, enough to go beyond the 64k limit for win9x. The problem that I am having is that whenever I add a trigger and an event I can't seem to save them without losing them. I seem to be able to save them if I remove the scenery and go below the 64k limit.
I was wondering if this is normal? I think I can get around it by saving the scenery as a layout, removing the scenery, adding the triggers etc. testing, saving then add the scenery layout at the end when I am happy enough with the mission.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers
Stuart
:jump:

bearcat241
June 2nd, 2012, 03:22
Stuart, scale it down and add the scenery in moderation. You're inside an old combat sim, which makes the planes, triggers and events more interesting than the scenery IMO. When the fight is on and creative triggers and events are popping, the user doesn't have time to take in all the sights anyway. And when the action is over and the objective completed, the player just wants to get home safely and gear up for the next one - no need to hang around sightseeing.

Excessive scenery infrastructure can be connected as layouts, since most of the objects will not be targeted anyway. The only infrastructure crucial to the mission-building process are those items which are mission-critical as objectives. The rest can be added in layouts, which are called up by the sim if you put the lays into the missions.

Rami
June 2nd, 2012, 03:52
Stuart,

The 64k limit was because of a limitation with pre-XP systems that couldn't recognize a text file (which is what a mission file essentially is) above 64k. This is not a problem that most people have now. When you get that "return to editing" message, you can hit "no," and it will save as you wish.

However, I have an alternative suggestion for you. Working in Europe and the Mediterranean, your dilemma is why I began making permanent GSL scenery. Instead of building a port, or a sub base, or whatever for each mission, I made the scenery into GSL, and that way, all I had to do was have a layout for the AA guns, ships, and vehicles. The permanent scenery goes a long way toward reducing the size of your missions, and it increases frame rates considerably.

Send me a PM with your e-mail, and I can help.

stuart277
June 3rd, 2012, 00:40
Thanks Bearcat and Rami
As you suggest Bearcat, a simple 'cut down' on objects works well. I really only need a couple of AA and not the historical amount and, of course I have no idea what Colombo Harbour looked like in 1942 (It was pretty busy in 2010), so bombing any target works well. I can deal with layouts and I have just received Martin Wrights 'tutorials' so I will have a go at GSL design work. (I can't seem to open the editor from Lindsey's Guide).
Its all part of the learning process and Rami, I will PM you when I figure out how to do that.
Thanks
Stuart

bobhegf
June 5th, 2012, 02:26
The way I get around the 64 limit is to GSL the scenery as I go.I also noticed if I saved the objects as GSL objects that it didn`t have as much of an impact on my FPS.I use the CFS2 GSL program and it worked fine.

You will fine that those that have worked with CFS2 for along time have figured out many ways to handle problems in CFS2. Try them all and work with the ones you like.