PDA

View Full Version : Phantom F4U

SSI01
May 31st, 2012, 13:15
Folks - how do I get around this little problem?

This is the Aeroplane Heaven F4U base model, the actual aircraft is an FG-1D I came across today while uploading files to the library for the site.

I checked the mip count, it's "8" vice "9" for the other aircraft in the file, they show up fine. As far as I know that's the only difference after a comparison between this texture and the others in the file.

pfflyers
May 31st, 2012, 14:00
Someone will probably jump in with the correct answer pretty soon.

While you're waiting, to me it looks like an 'alpha' issue. Try running the textures thru DXTBmp and change the alphas to plain white.

Tom Clayton
May 31st, 2012, 14:50
The model is coded to use grey shades in the alpha layer of the textures as transparency instead of reflection. There's a couple of ways around that. The easiest way is to get Iven Hsu's mdlc117.zip from Flightsim, then get shiny.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=4445) from here. Note - this package was designed for XP - I don't know how well it will work on later Windows versions. Another option is MK_mdlc.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=6816&catid=49) that uses a compact GUI to make MDLC do what you want. Either way, make a backup copy of the model file before you start, because the canopy may also turn opaque and glossy.

SSI01
May 31st, 2012, 15:59
Thanks everyone for the help. Trust me to find a texture fault that requires an exotic (for me) fix!

EDIT: I am running Windows XP as my OS. Just downloaded mdlc117.zip, plus the "shiny.zip" file. These definitely aren't something you want to start unless you've got a day or so to VERY carefully read the enclosed files, install them and then try to run them.

EMatheson
May 31st, 2012, 19:49
fixing the model is not necessary. you have some textures missing, simple as that. For every texture on this model with a file name ending in "_T.bmp," there needs to be a corresponding texture with the ending "_L.bmp." The model is coded to use the "_L" textures as lighting maps. Though the effect of this on the transparency of the texture is typically only noticeable during the night, when there is sufficient contrast in the lighting behind the model to make the effect visible, it can (and on my system has on occasion) caused issues during the day time. For many of the earlier Aeroplane Heaven FS2002 and FS2004 models, the effect is quite prominent at times.
You may also notice that the model still has some vestigial traces of reflection on some of the shiner places and that not all areas are uniformly transparent. This is a symptom of the alpha channel in the "_T" texture - and the patchiness is caused by the fact that some textures and materials in the model are not coded to use "_T" and "_L" textures.

OBIO
May 31st, 2012, 20:00
The model is not set up to use reflective texturing from what I can see. I don't have the model so can't do a definitive test on it....but my experience with the AH planes I do have is that they generally do not have reflectivity enabled. The model does not have to have _T and _L texture extensions to properly display reflectivity...that is something that the Abacus FSDS program does.....Milton Shupe's planes have reflective texturing and do not have the _T and _L texture extensions.

Can the model be made reflective? Yes. Using MDLC 117 or 190 and a hex editor will do the job. JDTinballs did up a tutorial a while back on how to tweak a non-reflective MDL to be reflective enabled. I have done the tweak dozens and dozens of times and can take a MDL from non-reflect to reflect in less than 3 minutes.

OBIO

EMatheson
May 31st, 2012, 20:53
The model is not set up to use reflective texturing from what I can see.
If this is the former donationware CFS2 model now available in the CFS2 section freely, than you may be correct. The FS2002 and FS2004 models by AH are reflective, though - and some of them rather strongly!

The model does not have to have _T and _L texture extensions to properly display reflectivity...that is something that the Abacus FSDS program does.....Milton Shupe's planes have reflective texturing and do not have the _T and _L texture extensions.
Quite true - but not entirely relevent to the situation. This is a problem with the night textures, which are typically used as an overlay on the corresponding "_T" textures. The reflection remains and is displayed from the alpha channel of the "_T" texture. In this situation, some reflectivity may remain and be being displayed, but it is difficult to make out over the much much more obnoxious transparency problem!
If a "_L" texture is missing, the overlay that the FS engine is expecting (as cued by the use of a "_T" texture in the .mdl file) is missing, so that overlay effect is simply not displayed, resulting in a queer transparency issue that is not related to reflectivity or the alpha channel. The effect is most noticeable at night (which is when the light map would have played the greatest role anyway), but it can be noticed at any time of day, with its observability influenced by the reflectivity and shine programmed into the mdl materials and the alpha channel. Very glossy models with high shine and bright reflections generally suffer this problem the most.
I discovered all this while embarking upon a severe mode of reducing HDD clutter. I began going through my aircraft one by one deleting all "_L" textures that did not feature any detail I could observe. As I don't frequently fly at night, I didn't notice much... I am however a heavy user of Vit Storchs L-159B, which uses the "_T" and "_L" system. On one particularly harebrained day, I deleted the "_L" textures from there, saying to myself "To heck with the slime lights!" that were on that texture. Subsequently, I found that that model was queerly transparent during the day (though still reflective) - and as I investigated the phenomenon, with my eye tuned to it - I found traces of the effect everywhere on the airplanes I had brutalized. Needless to say, restoration necessetated a nearly complete reinstall!
You may investigate the issue yourself by removing the "_L" textures from an aircraft of your choice and observing the effects. They WILL be most noticeable at night - and may be slight to none during the day (the mdl materials influence this strongly), but on some aircraft, it is noticeable to some extent at all times.

SSI01
June 1st, 2012, 10:51
The aircraft is see-through with and without the "L" files. No discernable difference day or night, at least that I can see.:icon_eek:

Tom Clayton
June 1st, 2012, 12:52
Thanks everyone for the help. Trust me to find a texture fault that requires an exotic (for me) fix!

EDIT: I am running Windows XP as my OS. Just downloaded mdlc117.zip, plus the "shiny.zip" file. These definitely aren't something you want to start unless you've got a day or so to VERY carefully read the enclosed files, install them and then try to run them.

The aircraft is see-through with and without the "L" files. No discernable difference day or night, at least that I can see.:icon_eek:

Then you are a perfect candidate for the Shiny.zip setup. Follow the instructions to the letter as to where to place all of the files, including MDLC. Then double-click the registry modification file to incorporate the functions into Windows' background. Once done, all you need to do to modify the model is right-click it. The context menu will have new entries regarding the Dynamic Shine and relective switch.

kikas
June 1st, 2012, 21:57
Im not F4U flyer, but this thread really helped me to remove "see through" on restauravia's Nord 3202. Thanks!
:medals: