PDA

View Full Version : Zoom / eyepoint conflict in FSX VC

delta_lima
May 28th, 2012, 12:38
This is a problem I've simply "dealt with" in FSX - it really bugs me, so I'm going to see if there's a fix.

Basically, I'm trying to see if there's a way to disassociate my zoom from where I'm sitting in the VC. So, for example, I'd like my "zoom" to always be 100%, and be sitting in a "normal" eyepoint position. I find though, that when I zoom into 100%, it's as if my chin is sitting atop the cockpit coaming. Conversely, if I set my zoom out to where I usually fly eg:

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=268712

... that results in a zoom setting of something silly like 40%. This makes the runway, and other details "forelengthened" (if that's a word!).

I get that moving your head fwd/back a foot will MILDLY change your field of view - but not +/- 50%!

Is the only solution to zoom in to 100%, and then manually dolly my eyepoint backwords? I find massive eyepoint adjustments will bugger up how the cockpit polygons look, so I'm not thinking that's the solution. Plus, I'd want to do this for every plane I fly - sounds like a lot of work.

I'm sure I can't possibly be the only who deals with this ... anyone smarter than me figured this out yet?

Thanks!

Daube
May 28th, 2012, 14:09
Zoom at 1.00x is not meant to be used on a single computer screen. Such a zoom is meant to be used for multi-monitor setups, because one screen is not enough to display everything.
If you use only one screen, like 99% of the simmers, then the best balance that you can get is 0.50x. That's what I use on my wide screen and I'm pretty happy with it.

PRB
May 28th, 2012, 14:46
The way I've finally chosen to deal with this issue, and I agree with you, BTW, is to fly at 80 or 70% (most planes) and "scooch" the seat back and up a bit. When I started with FS9, I thought I wanted to be at 100% in the VC, but I'm starting to agree with Daube, to a point. 100% now seems "too close" and unrealistic. I don't think there is a way to acomplish what you're wanting to do. 100% is what it is, your chin is on the gun sight.

OleBoy
May 28th, 2012, 16:41
I always thought that the viewpoint distance was based on how the modeler set it up. I say this based on every aircraft seems to be at a different seat height, and distance back from the panel.
I find I'm always having to fiddle with the settings. Unless, once I get it set-up, I save the flight. Then the next time I fly that particular aircraft (via "saved flight"), the settings are all good.

falcon409
May 28th, 2012, 18:36
I'm going to say this without knowing if anyone has actually tried this and just hasn't mentioned it. . . .but this is how I do all my aircraft. I tweak the "eyepoint" in the aircraft.cfg file. You can do it on the fly by simply refreshing the aircraft after each adjustment. This way, every time I load a particular airplane, the seat height and distance from the panel is already set and it's permanent. Admittedly, I use TrackIR, so the "zoom" is of little consequence, but adjusting the distance "fwd and back" for the eyepoint would eliminate having to zoom at all.

Daube
May 29th, 2012, 01:10
100% now seems "too close" and unrealistic.
Let's be clear here: Zoom 1.00x is the ONE and ONLY realistic zoom. It's the zoom that provides no distortion at all, no fish-eye effect at all, etc... It is the only one that reproduces the human vision. Smaller zoom value produce fish-eye effect and distortion of the perception of distance. For example, when I fly at 0.50x, and I try to do some formation flying, I often end up with the wing of the other plane hitting my cockpit, even though the other plane still appears far enough. When zooming at 1.00x I understand why I hit it...

I don't think there is a way to acomplish what you're wanting to do. 100% is what it is, your chin is on the gun sight.
No you chin is still at the same exact place as it was before. Don't confuse the zoom and the eyepoint. When you zoom (or unzoom), you head in the cockpit doesn't move at all. Things "appear" closer because your single computer screen is not enough to draw the full picture.
If you want to use the 1.00x, you MUST swith to multi-monitor setups, because the 1.00x zoom shows you the scenery in real dimensions, which means that what is on your right should be displayed on a screen located on your right, while the screen in front of your eyes displays ONLY what is located in front of your eyes.
If you want to use the zoom 1.00x, you'll have to get something like this:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/action/r/http://gigazine.jp/img/2007/05/01/multi_monitor/multi-monitors.jpg

Or like this:
http://www.gorgewindsinc.com/graphics/TruVision170.Lo.jpg

Naismith
May 29th, 2012, 01:28
All those CRT's look really dated now we are in the era of flat screens.

Daube
May 29th, 2012, 03:59
All those CRT's look really dated now we are in the era of flat screens.

Indeed :D
But it was just to put a picture on my words. ;)

delta_lima
May 30th, 2012, 07:29
Some good answers here - though I'm struggling to understand what Daube is saying, because if I to 100%, then I'd be limiting, not expanding my field of view. The proof is that you see a wider range the further you zoom out.

Reading between the lines, I think Ed and OBoy answered my question - which unfortunately, is to change the eyepoints on all my aircraft one by one. Sheesh ...:sleep:

Anyway - thanks for the replies!

MarkH
May 30th, 2012, 09:04
Lots of conflicting opinions here, none of it that convincing. I fly with something between 0.7x and 1x when I can (though it's difficult to tell when you have the red text messages off) because it looks about right. I don't know if VC zoom is a common factor across models, but if it isn't then there can be no universal solution. The zoom factor is very important with respect the outside world - at lower zoom (wider angle lens) everything looks further away, things that are close show more perspective effects and speeds appear higher, so if you're going to make a compromise it really ought to be in how you set up the eyepoint, not the zoom.

What would help is for someone who lives close to an Orbx airport in the real world to go and stand at a given point, then record what they see. If I remember my photography stuff, they can record it by taking photos with a 50mm lens (assuming 35mm film format). Then match these to a view from the same point in FSX and set the zoom to get the best match, and report back the setting. This will be the definitive 'correct' zoom setting.

Daube
May 30th, 2012, 09:14
Some good answers here - though I'm struggling to understand what Daube is saying, because if I to 100%, then I'd be limiting, not expanding my field of view. The proof is that you see a wider range the further you zoom out.

You see more, but you destroy the proportions.

Let me take an easy example: in real life, let's say you are looking at an aircraft which is just standing 10 feet away from you. It looks big, right ? Now, let's say this plane gets moved to 50 feet away from you. It STILL looks quite big and near, right ?

Now let's compare this same exact situation with what you would see in FS. With a 1.0x zoom, you would see exactely the same thing as in real life. 10 feet or 50 feet, the plane still looks quite close to you. But with 0.50x zoom, when the plane stands 50 feets away from you, it looks like it's already quite far away, it doesn't look that close anymore. This is because the field-of-view modifies the perspectives, thus the perception of distances. So yes, you see more stuff, but you don't see them right.

This is why, when flying with a low zoom value and attempting to hold a close formation, you often hit the other plane... because it looks like it's still away enough, but in reality it's already about to touch you. If you could fly with a multi-monitor setup at zoom 1.00x, this wouldn't happen. What is near would appear to be near, and what is far away would appear to be far away.