PDA

View Full Version : Going DownTown In the F-105B

casey jones
May 28th, 2012, 10:29
Having just read "When Thunder Rolled" by Mr Ed Ramus...I wanted to fly his same mission to Route
Pack Six into Hanoi. I sat on the runway at Udorm, Thailand in a F-105B, I set my course to 37 degrees
north which was a flying distance of about 250 miles. I climbed to 10,000 ft and pointed the F-105B
north at about 160 miles from Hanoi I could see the krags of thud ridge slide by my right wing, then
at about 60 miles from Hanoi I began descending pass Thud Ridge to the flatlands near Hanoi, I
contacted Hanoi control for landing instructions and was cleared to land...I began my turn onto the
final approach and then I realized just how very fast my landing speed was chpping the thottle I
almost stalled in at 140mph so I came in at 190 mph braking as fast and careful as I could the F-105B
touched and held very steady but very fast. I opened my canopy and taxied up to the designated
parking and waited for the PDRV to come racing up to my plane and arrest me.

Cheers

Casey

Toastmaker
May 30th, 2012, 14:13
They'll probably let you go but they'll damn well confiscate your Thud. . . and you'll be doing this: :running:

TARPSBird
May 31st, 2012, 10:37
I've been told they have some pretty decent beer up north. Go have a cold one in the airport lounge and let the natives crawl on yer Thud. :icon_lol:

fsafranek
June 1st, 2012, 09:25
Landing speed for the Thud was in the neighborhood of 180 so if you brought fuel for the trip back you were probably a bit heavy. Good luck getting that airplane back. :icon_lol: