PDA

View Full Version : F-106 VC Rebuild

falcon409
May 23rd, 2012, 09:37
I'm slowly making progress on upgrading the VC for the AS F-106. A comparison below shows the current VC texture for the main panel and the one I'm progressing on. I also found a good page on the 106 with fairly good shots of all the avionics and left and right console modules so rather than the line drawings that are in place right now, I'll be doing my best to replace those with the actual components (non-clickable but more realistic in appearance).

Wings of Gold
May 23rd, 2012, 09:54
A GREAT bird for an upgrade. Looking forward to this! Bill

hae5904
May 23rd, 2012, 14:00
Sure is Bill !! Ed if you need more info about the cockpit, I have the dash 1 manual.

Perhaps time to repost my F-106 repaints I did during the Alphasim period, posted them on Avsim, but after the major crash most got lost.
Time to post them here at SOH, as was suggested by Daniel (Delta Lima). :salute:

Cheers,
Hank

delta_lima
May 23rd, 2012, 15:00
A great model about to get better ... I'm in!

Looking good Ed!

fox18delta
May 23rd, 2012, 21:10
I'm slowly making progress on upgrading the VC for the AS F-106. A comparison below shows the current VC texture for the main panel and the one I'm progressing on. I also found a good page on the 106 with fairly good shots of all the avionics and left and right console modules so rather than the line drawings that are in place right now, I'll be doing my best to replace those with the actual components (non-clickable but more realistic in appearance).

Wow. Great jet, thanks for doing that.

Not sure if this is the page you referred to, but this is a good one also.
Hope it helps.
paul :-)

http://www.f-106deltadart.com/home.htm

DagR
May 24th, 2012, 03:22
Great work Ed ;-)

Best
DagR

FlameOut
May 24th, 2012, 03:55
Thanks for posting that F-106 website, it's a keeper!

DaveQ
May 24th, 2012, 06:42
Looking forward to this Ed; great stuff and thanks!:icon29::icon29:

It's good to know there are still a few of us interested in these first and second generation jets!

DaveQ

fox18delta
May 24th, 2012, 10:08
Looking forward to this Ed; great stuff and thanks!:icon29::icon29:

It's good to know there are still a few of us interested in these first and second generation jets!

DaveQ
There's a lot of us. They make wonderful subjects for FSX.
High alpha and glass cockpits are cool... but I'll take a new -101 for FSX any day !

paul

fox18delta
May 24th, 2012, 10:14
Thanks for posting that F-106 website, it's a keeper!

It really is a nice effort. Kudos to them. :-)

Really looking forward to Ed's VC !

fsafranek
May 24th, 2012, 10:46
I always liked this aircraft. I had a heck of a time getting her to push past Mach 1 though.
At the suggestion of BCH I increased the static_thrust to 20100.000 up from 16100.000.
That helped a lot but wasn't overkill.

Looking forward to this VC update.

Some of my repaints (http://www.mirage4fs.com/Alphasim/index.html#F-106) not included in the release back when this one first came out.
:ernae:

DaveQ
May 24th, 2012, 13:42
There's a lot of us. They make wonderful subjects for FSX.
High alpha and glass cockpits are cool... but I'll take a new -101 for FSX any day !

paul Me too!!:icon_lol:

falcon409
May 24th, 2012, 18:00
Now working on the left console. . .the main panel is complete. A bit more time consuming than I wanted it to be, but it will be worth the extra effort.:salute:

falcon409
May 25th, 2012, 19:50
Main Panel and Left & Right Consoles. The line drawings used for textures are gone and each module now has a 3D appearance with all new labeling (not yet in place). The last items will be the kick panels and floor.

hae5904
May 26th, 2012, 00:05
Looks great Ed !! :salute:

Cheers,
Hank

hschuit
May 26th, 2012, 00:25
Ed, that looks fantastic :salute: Thanks for giving me a good excuse to pull the Dart out of the hangar !

cheers, Henk.

thunder100
May 26th, 2012, 00:43
falcon

really great

Roland

falcon409
May 26th, 2012, 17:11
All panels are redone. All I have left are the kick panels and floor. Hopefully have it ready to upload by the end of the weekend.:salute:

falcon409
May 27th, 2012, 08:06
Decided to release this "as-is". I have a new Great Granddaughter that needs some quality time, lol. I'll get this uploaded today.

Bomber_12th
May 27th, 2012, 08:11
That looks great, Ed!! Thank you for taking the time to re-vamp the cockpit of this aircraft.

And I agree with you on the priorities! ; )

Bone
May 27th, 2012, 08:24
The VC looks mucho bueno. StormILM has a tweeked FDE that makes this model fly decently, and now we have the 'look' to go with it.:salute:

fox18delta
May 27th, 2012, 10:14
Thank you for for doing the rebuild. It looks great. :-)
paul

fox18delta
May 27th, 2012, 10:16
The VC looks mucho bueno. StormILM has a tweeked FDE that makes this model fly decently, and now we have the 'look' to go with it.:salute:

Where can I find StormILM's FDE ?

Thanks
paul

falcon409
May 27th, 2012, 11:53
Here's a quick link to the new files:
https://www.box.com/s/5f14279ba33cc94016fd

falcon409
May 27th, 2012, 11:54
Where can I find StormILM's FDE ?
Thanks
paul
Yes. . .where?

Bone
May 27th, 2012, 11:59
Standby, let me do some checking on that FDE.

Bone
May 27th, 2012, 12:17
OK, I don't know where he uploaded it, or even if he ever did upload it. He sent it to me via email. I don't think I should put his work up in attachment form here on this thread, as much as I'd like for you guys to have it. I just sent him an email telling him about this thread and Falcon's new VC textures, and asked him if he wouldn't mind popping in here and sharing it with you guys. He's a good guy and doesn't mind sharing, so I expect he'll be here when his weekend festivities allow. Cheers.
Steve

StormILM
May 27th, 2012, 17:20
Folks, got word from Steve this afternoon about the Dart FDE and here's the pack including the Afterburner gauge update I did as well. It's been a little while since I did this update work and from "overflowing" memory, I didn't think I did much past the Ground Effect adjustments which the original caused the Dart to float in ground effect forever when trying to land. However, I must have forgot the other adjustments(albeit minor IMHO) as Steve pointed out that the updated FDE seems more stable/less pitch sensitive, etc. Anyhow, here it is:

Ed, thank you for your work! Will install them in a bit and give it a whirl in the virtual Troposphere!

falcon409
May 27th, 2012, 18:22
. . . . . . . .Ed, thank you for your work! Will install them in a bit and give it a whirl in the virtual Troposphere!
. . .and thank you for making the FDE tweaks available to everyone. Very much appreciated!!

DaveQ
May 28th, 2012, 03:53
Many thanks for doing this Ed. Looking forward to the paint kit.

DaveQ

Sundog
May 28th, 2012, 07:15
Thank you, Ed and Storm.

usafvet
May 28th, 2012, 07:39
Will we be using the radar from Eric Marciano?

Cheers, Larry

falcon409
May 28th, 2012, 08:00
Will we be using the radar from Eric Marciano?
Cheers, Larry
That would be at your discretion Larry. I didn't change anything as far as avionics. My contribution was strictly artistic.

falcon409
May 28th, 2012, 10:27
Forgot to mention, this is up on the SOH Downloads now too!

Lewis-A2A
May 29th, 2012, 08:58
Great job. As I mentioned to the cockpit repainter of our B-17, I'm surprised more people dont offer up cockpit repaints like external repaints given they are implmented exactly the same way within FSX and offer so much variation from one model.

Naismith
May 29th, 2012, 13:40
Nice job, had a quick test before bed last night, great improvement on the original. Thanks.

DennyA
May 29th, 2012, 18:29
Wow. Thanks so much for this!

If that's a case of "as-is.." :) Looks awesome!

hschuit
May 30th, 2012, 07:04
Ed thank you for the VC make over:salute: Once I started flying, I did not like the exterior shine, actually the plane looks metalic and that is wrong because they were a glossy light grey. I tweaked the MDL specularity with the MDLMat FSX tool. It all depends on personal taste I guess but if anyone likes what I done I will post the "how to". 1st pic is as it comes out of the box, 2nd is my tweaked MDL version:

fsafranek
May 30th, 2012, 13:11
It all depends on personal taste I guess but if anyone likes what I done I will post the "how to".
Yes please. These birds always looked best when clean and shiney. Even when we used them as chase planes for the B-1B they were still kept very clean.

hschuit
May 31st, 2012, 00:21
Here you go Frank: 66488

BTW: Love the repaints you did ! Anyone who wants to check them out, go here:

http://www.mirage4fs.com/Alphasim/index.html#F-106

mbmorgan
May 31st, 2012, 10:56
Ed thank you for the VC make over:salute: Once I started flying, I did not like the exterior shine, actually the plane looks metalic and that is wrong because they were a glossy light grey. I tweaked the MDL specularity with the MDLMat FSX tool. It all depends on personal taste I guess but if anyone likes what I done I will post the "how to". 1st pic is as it comes out of the box, 2nd is my tweaked MDL version:

Beautiful repaint ... although technically NL 17 was a B model (two seater). I was working as a controller at GTF back when the Montana ANG was still flying the 106 and even managed to get a little back seat time in NL 17. Quite an experience ...

Cheers,
Mike

falcon409
May 31st, 2012, 18:20
Beautiful repaint ... although technically NL 17 was a B model (two seater). I was working as a controller at GTF back when the Montana ANG was still flying the 106 and even managed to get a little back seat time in NL 17. Quite an experience ...

Cheers,
Mike

Also, never noticed this until you mentioned it in a round about way. . .the tail number isn't correct either.

StormILM
May 31st, 2012, 23:00
Folks, after looking at my FDE adjustments and the effect it made on both the takeoff and landing speeds, I went back and studied a couple more FSX Delta Wing models and decided to add a Flight Tuning section to the F-106's Cfg file which doesn't feature one. All the numbers are nominal except the cruise lift scalar which I adjusted in an attempt or better yet a tradeoff for a good liftoff speed and not quite so nasty landing speed/sink rate. After much testing and comparing, I sat the cruise lift at 1.500(the standard setting would be 1.000). So far as I can tell, the change didn't have a negative effect in the handling or pitch trim but the liftoff and touchdown speeds and profile seem more on target. Just copy and paste the below text into the Cfg file just below the Reference Speeds entry.

[Flight_Tuning]
cruise_lift_scalar= 1.500 //- increase to reduce aoa vs speed/G load
parasite_drag_scalar= 1.000
induced_drag_scalar= 1.000
elevator_effectiveness= 1.000
aileron_effectiveness= 1.000
rudder_effectiveness= 1.000
pitch_stability= 1.000
roll_stability= 1.000
yaw_stability= 1.000
elevator_trim_effectiveness= 1.000
aileron_trim_effectiveness= 1.000
rudder_trim_effectiveness= 1.000

BTW, I did the MDLMAT changes and they look great! Been many a year since I used to see the F-106's out of the detachment that was based here at ILM. I remember how loud they were! I miss the sonic booms when they returned from an intercept mission!

falcon409
June 1st, 2012, 02:50
Great! Thanks Storm!!:applause:

fsafranek
June 1st, 2012, 09:09
:icon_lol: You're both wrong...

Cheers,
Mike

Also, never noticed this until you mentioned it in a round about way. . .the tail number isn't correct either.

I suppose next you're going to tell me that I used the wrong ANG badge on the tail, right? :kilroy:

The aircraft I painted for the payware package is absolutely 100% correct for the Montana ANG in 1971. Probably before your time Mike since you said "still flying".

When Phil changed his mind at the 11th hour and decided to do the single seater as the original type with the brace on the top of the canopy I had to backdate all of my schemes and throw some out (some schemes were revised to the B model and put out as freeware ("http://www.mirage4fs.com/Alphasim/index.html#F-106')). So a bird from a decade earlier was selected because I've always been a fan of the Montana ANG scheme and wanted to keep it in the mix.

I did however paint a freeware version of a 1984 era two-seater in Montana ANG scheme ("http://www.mirage4fs.com/Alphasim/index.html#F-106') with the more current ANG shield (and again with correct numbers).

I do my research guys. I never paint fiction when its going in a payware package. :salute:

Thanks for the FDE update Storm.

falcon409
June 1st, 2012, 14:56
:icon_lol: You're both wrong...I do my research guys. I never paint fiction when its going in a payware package. . . .
. . .and I honestly know nothing about 106's. My note was just that when I looked at the image Mike posted and I looked at the tail number. . .I realized that the repaint also had a "17" but the tail number was different. I "assumed" that the 17 was supposed to be part of the tail number and so In my cluttered mind figured something was amiss. Considering how flammable a lot of "criticisms" can get in the forums a lot of times, on a scale of 1-10, that was probably a 2. Sorry for questioning your work.

hae5904
June 1st, 2012, 15:42
Thanks Ed for your tremendous job! :salute:

Time for me to upload my F-106 repaints to here at SOH........

Just some pictures...I will make it a total file of all my repaints (FS9 & FSX) containing the following squadrons:
27 / 83 / 84 / 95 / 318 / 329 / 456 & 539 FIS

Cheers,
Hank

fsafranek
June 1st, 2012, 15:46
. . .and I honestly know nothing about 106's. My note was just that when I looked at the image Mike posted and I looked at the tail number. . .I realized that the repaint also had a "17" but the tail number was different. I "assumed" that the 17 was supposed to be part of the tail number and so In my cluttered mind figured something was amiss. Considering how flammable a lot of "criticisms" can get in the forums a lot of times, on a scale of 1-10, that was probably a 2. Sorry for questioning your work.
Sorry for freaking out a bit. After all these years the skin is just as thin.

Do appreciate your repainting the cockpit textures. Never did like the originals taken from a flight manual.

falcon409
June 3rd, 2012, 08:19
Nice work Hank. I certainly understand the move to "low-vis" paint jobs on airplanes these days and all the necessary camo schemes, but you gotta admit. . .the airplanes from the 50's, 60's and 70's really looked awesome with all the bright colored markings and full color Squadron logos.:applause:

StormILM
June 5th, 2012, 11:58
After reviewing my update and running some tests, I realized something was off regarding engine power/climb/mach@altitude performance. The number I had listed in the [TurbineEngineData} section had the static _thrust set at 16100.000(which that simulated thrust would be reached in AB/Max Throttle without Shift+F4). At that setting, I was barely able to reach Mach 1.1/1.2. The real PW J75-17 had 24500lbf thrust. I returned to that level of thrust in the CFG and it seemed too powerful so I dialed it down to 20500. At that setting the takeoff roll + rate of climb (29,000fpm) seems about correct as well as being able to reach the max mach number at altitude under optimum weights and conditions. Give it a try and see if it's in the ballpark and if not, just make minor adjustments to suite user specs.

lazarus
June 5th, 2012, 12:21
I am assembling all the bits to try out, it looks great! The -106 model is a favorite, as impressive as the aircraft was in the world! A real rocket ship.

fsafranek
August 16th, 2012, 19:40
Thanks Ed for your tremendous job! :salute:

Time for me to upload my F-106 repaints to here at SOH........

Just some pictures...I will make it a total file of all my repaints (FS9 & FSX) containing the following squadrons:
27 / 83 / 84 / 95 / 318 / 329 / 456 & 539 FIS

Cheers,
Hank
Maybe I missed it, life has been a little hectic lately. Were these repaints ever uploaded?

hae5904
August 18th, 2012, 00:27
Frank, they were uploaded to AVSIM, before their major crash. During the same timeframe I painted the buzz-number for your 319 FIS F-106B !

And as falcon redid the VC, I though it would be better to re-upload the repaints, though this time to SOH.
Due to time I haven't found them all.......they are scattered around among some 4 Tb of data.

Cheers,
Hank