PDA

View Full Version : FDG B 17 ........

lemonadedrinker
May 20th, 2012, 00:20
Hi,
I just downloaded this model and think it great!! However it seems to fly so sensitively that I woke up to something I never realised before.
It needs some extra sounds to go with it.....like creaking wings and rattling doors or random noises of wires straining and things pinging.

I must get out more.:running::sheep:

Andy.

nigel richards
May 20th, 2012, 03:20
Indeed Andy. :wavey:

These are the little, sadly too often overlooked details that work towards making a good set of sounds, great.

It's refreshing to see folk searching beyond the shell and scratching below the surface.

It's how the ritual of creativity begins.

PRB
May 20th, 2012, 03:34
And no B-17 sound set would be complete without the high pitched, and easily heard from the flight deck, at least on the ground at idle power, sound of the hydraulic accumulator pump going off every 30 seconds or so. Got to hear it when I flew in "Liberty Bell" (RIP). Later read an account of an RAF pilot who flew a B-17 for the first time, during the war, and he commented on it too. An electric drill would make a pretty close approximation of what it sounded like...

nigel richards
May 20th, 2012, 04:01
Lucky, lucky man to have heard it first-hand PRB.

Must have been an awesome, lifetime experience! :kilroy:

SSI01
May 20th, 2012, 05:44
I got to pull that thing's (LB) props through when it visited KSSI last year. Can't believe it's gone.:pop4:

Willy
May 20th, 2012, 10:21
And no B-17 sound set would be complete without the high pitched, and easily heard from the flight deck, at least on the ground at idle power, sound of the hydraulic accumulator pump going off every 30 seconds or so. Got to hear it when I flew in "Liberty Bell" (RIP). Later read an account of an RAF pilot who flew a B-17 for the first time, during the war, and he commented on it too. An electric drill would make a pretty close approximation of what it sounded like...

If it's high pitched you might be sure and use a 1/4 inch drill. They run faster at a higher pitch than the larger 3/8 or 1/2 ones.

robert41
May 20th, 2012, 16:01
A2A's B17 has this hydraulic system and sound modeled, but of course for FSX.
Also, those creaking and rattling sounds come with A2A's accufeel, which works with any and all aircraft. Again, for FSX.
But, A2A's 3D lights are made for FS9 as well as FSX. Maybe accufeel could be made for FS9 as well?

Tom Clayton
May 20th, 2012, 18:22
Never heard it before, but maybe a Dremel would come close?

nigel richards
May 26th, 2012, 08:39
:wavey:I'm most gratefully indebted to all you Gentlemen for inspiring part of a current WIP sound project.

Didn't have to resort to a drill fortunately - nothing like having the real thing. Got it!

Many thanks guys.:icon29::icon29: