PDA

View Full Version : Grumman Albatross v2

PeteHam
May 19th, 2012, 01:07
Just up at Avsim ...... :applause: :applause: :jump: :jump:

Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Original Aircraft (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/index.php?CatID=fs2004ac)

New! Grumman Albatross version 2.1
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ZipDive.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/zipdiver.php?DLID=168726) http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/Download.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/download.php?DLID=168726)

Images related to this file:

_301116-1.jpg (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=307530)
_301116-2.jpg (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=307531)
_301116-3.jpg (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=307532)

File Description:
Grumman HU-16 Albatross 2.1 Greg Pepper, Michael Verlin May 18, 2012 I am privileged to be honored with the custodianship of this model. Greg Pepper is no longer with us. I wish to honor his memory and I've made a few modifcations to enhance this aircraft. WHAT'S NEW FOR 2.1 The flight model is the most significant change. The flight model has been enhanced by the use of Jerry Beckwith's AirWrench. The performance of the Albatross is now much closer to the parameters published for it. I've also adjusted the contact points for the hull. Please make sure you adjust the fuel and payload before flying. This is a very heavy aircraft, and will be very sluggish if you attempt flight with full tanks and a full payload. I've also added a few liveries, and modified several others. The colors and lettering of the U.S. Navy versions have been revised. The font the Navy uses is USN Long Beach. The paint colors are accurate now as well. You will also find new spin prop textures. I've also slightly revised the original U.S. Air Force HU-16B and two of the U.S. Coast Guard liveries. New for this release: U.S. Navy VXE6 UF-1L triphibian that served in the Antarctic, Chalk's G-111 and two new private liveries. Michael Verlin May 18, 2012 mverlin@verizon.net

Filename:
grumman_hu-16_albatross_2.1.zip

License:
Freeware, limited distribution

Added:
19th May 2012

Downloads:

Author:
Greg Pepper Michael Verlin

Size:
90216kb

Blackbird686
May 19th, 2012, 06:30
Thanks for the H/U, Pete. Downloading now and will have a look this evening.:salute:

BB686:USA-flag:

hurricane3
May 19th, 2012, 08:57
where do the psd files go?I just doenloadd the new Grumman and there's this folder called psd and I've no idea where they go. Also how to I install the payware panel without coming up with a black screen with gauges on it?

aeronca1
May 19th, 2012, 09:05
.psd files are the paintkit. Unless you intend to do repaints, you don't need them.

hurricane3
May 19th, 2012, 09:27
Thanks I learned somthing new. Never hear of them before,

hurricane3
May 19th, 2012, 10:50
When I tried using the payware panel I get a panel with black holes , instead of gauges. What am I doing wrong?I had to go back to the oridginal panel.

hurricane3
May 19th, 2012, 11:05
If I had read the readme a little closer ,I'd have seen that you have to have the payware(RealityXP etc.)panel for that to work. Sorry , my bad.

ThinkingManNeil
May 19th, 2012, 11:59
THAT is one lovely Grumman! Thanks for the HU!

hurricane3
May 19th, 2012, 14:09
I downloaded the new Abatross but although the UF-1L shows in the paint schemes I don't have that model(VXE6 UF1L) I don't have that model in the sim. Could someone tell me why and how to get it.

hurricane3
May 19th, 2012, 14:20
I just checked the config file and there is no UF-1L listed.thats why I don't have it., Is there a why I can get it,and has anyone else have this problem?

hurricane3
May 19th, 2012, 14:37
I found it under UF-1 by the number 429. I was expecting skis ,what makes it a triphibian?

Mick
May 20th, 2012, 03:51
I found it under UF-1 by the number 429. I was expecting skis ,what makes it a triphibian?

Strengthened keels on the fuselage and wingtip floats to allow for operation from snow made the Goat a "triphibian." (Whether anyone ever actually flew it from snow is another question..)

Matt Wynn
May 20th, 2012, 21:18
looks like them Canucks did.....

http://yellowairplane.com/Adventures/Albatross_Plane_Snow_Cap.jpg

CG_1976
May 20th, 2012, 21:27
looks like them Canucks did.....

http://yellowairplane.com/Adventures/Albatross_Plane_Snow_Cap.jpg

Ah the CSR-110 http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/hst/albatross-eng.asp was the PBY Canso's replacement.

Mick
May 21st, 2012, 03:57
Cool! (And cold!) I shoulda figured...

I'd forgotten about those little mini-skis on the wingtip floats.

napamule
May 22nd, 2012, 12:42
Hello,
Here are new FDEs (cfg and air file) for the v2.1 HU-16 Albatross that I think you will enjoy. Read the 'readme.cb.txt' file for info/hints. I love this airplane and had it 'back when' and have put a lot of hours in/on it. Works for FS9 and FSX Accelleration. Took me 2 days to get it just right. Hope you like.
Chuck B
Napamule

aeromed202
May 22nd, 2012, 15:04
Also in case they were missed there are two 'supplement' files related to this A/C. Just look further down the file list at AvSim :mixedsmi:

Daube
May 23rd, 2012, 04:02
Page two and not a single screenshot ? Usually, this is not a very good sign... :kilroy:

stuartcox
May 23rd, 2012, 05:33
Page two and not a single screenshot ? Usually, this is not a very good sign... :kilroy:

There are several liveries and models in the 90MB download. Too many to show screenies of.
Just a word of caution...
Should anybody want to use Chuck's new cfg, please don't be as stupid as me and just overwrite the original!
The new cfg only contains one entry, all others will be lost. :redf:
I should have read the readme text.

Stuart

HorusJ
May 23rd, 2012, 06:23
Some nice color schemes included.I was happy to see Miss Nancy is one of them.65976

napamule
May 23rd, 2012, 12:08
Well, I forgot the thumbs (for FSX). I got 16 in this zip (are there more?). They are re-sized and the variation name is in pic. Enjoy. And YES, always back up your 'old' aircraft.cfg. Simply right click on 'aircraft.cfg' (file name), choose 'COPY' from drop down, then right click on any blank spot, then choose 'PASTE' from drop down. You now have a 'Copy of Aircraft.cfg' (backup). Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

PS: The N43GL thumbnail is same as 'Miss Nancy'.

hawkeye52
May 23rd, 2012, 16:02
Looking at the screenies, the cockpit windscreen doesn't look correct. It looks to be that the windscreens' vertical dimension is too large. It should be the same "height" as the side windows which you can see are not as high.

Simply an observation; I'm grateful for the author(s) making the download available.

- H52

t.creed
May 23rd, 2012, 20:52
i am having trouble getting the landing lights to shine ahead of the plane ..am i missing something..agn..

rgds
t creed

stuartcox
May 24th, 2012, 00:55
i am having trouble getting the landing lights to shine ahead of the plane ..am i missing something..agn..

You haven't missed anything...

The folding underwing landing light animation has been left out in these modernised FDE's.
Just add the following lines to your contact points in the aircraft cfg, replacing 'x' with the next highest number:

point.x= 5, -20.000, -30.000, -10.000, 3000.000, 0.000, 0.000, 25.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000, 1.100, 1.500, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
point.x= 5, -20.000, 30.000, -10.000, 3000.000, 0.000, 0.000, 25.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000, 1.100, 1.500, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000

To activate use the water rudder function. (Default shift+w)

Regards,

Stuart

t.creed
May 24th, 2012, 04:52
thanks Stuart..!!!! :salute:, i looked and looked and thought i "goofed up" somewhere...cheers..!!

rgds
t creed

napamule
May 24th, 2012, 05:50
I had a nagging doubt that I was forgetting something. I did not try/fly at night (obviously). I thought I read it somewhere (in forums) about lights not dropping but I forget where. At any rate, do yourself a favor and remove the 'turning radius' (25.000) from the two 'point.x=5' lines, as the turning when in water is 'built in' into the floats (point.x=4 lines). Using the water rudder with 'turning radius' will upset the whole business of how it behaves when turning when on the water. So if it does not behave 'right' when making turns when on water, then you know what is causing it to flip/crash/lose control. You DO need the 'point.5' (water rudder) lines, but you don't need any 'turning radus' entry for the rudder.

So the lines s/b:
point.x= 5, -20.000, -30.000, -10.000, 3000.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000, 1.100, 1.500, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000
point.x= 5, -20.000, 30.000, -10.000, 3000.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000, 1.000, 1.100, 1.500, 0.000, 0.000, 0.000

Chuck B
Napamule

pfflyers
May 24th, 2012, 08:25
I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to animations and contact points.

I was surprised to learn that a contact point entry was required to enable an animation.

I learn something new here almost every day.

pfflyers
May 24th, 2012, 09:10
On the subject of contact points: I just loaded the Albatross with Chuck's new FDE and the left main tire is flat. The contact points seem symetrical, but the left gear is noticeably lower than the right and the aircraft is leaning. I tried a couple different airports to try and verify it's not a scenery issue.

Has anyone else seen this?

Edit: I took out the latest contact point edit (for the water rudder/landing lights) and it 'fixed' the problem. The lights didn't work for me anyway so I'll just leave it like this for now.

I guess I must be totally clueless about contact points.

Edit: Just noticed that the 'scrapes' are commented out so I renumbered the water rudder points and the aircraft sits on it's gear OK. The landing lights still don't work for me, is there something else that needs editting?

stuartcox
May 24th, 2012, 11:47
The landing lights still don't work for me, is there something else that needs editing?

Have you changed the water rudder key assignment?

I installed the original Greg Pepper & Michael Verlin update, containing revised gauges and panel cfg. Not the aircraft cfg or air file though, as I'm also using Chuck's.
Maybe it is necessary to get the landing lights to swivel.

Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Original Aircraft (http://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=fs2004ac)

Grumman HU-16 Albatross, v2.0 - Supplement Number 2
http://library.avsim.net/images/ZipDive.png (http://library.avsim.net/zipdiver.php?DLID=148278) http://library.avsim.net/images/Download.png (http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=148278)

File Description:
This package corrects a number of issues that have surfaced since the initial release of this aircraft. A revised aircraft configuration file is included to fix problems with the scrape points and underwing retractable landing lights. A modified panel configuration file and Switch panel bitmap are included to add a switch for the retractable landing lights. Missing gauges for some of the switches are included as well. Also included are two additional liveries, one to update the NAvy rescue 911 repaint uploaded yesterday. This was based on photos of a bogus livery. Also added are textures for a fictitious private livery. PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE ATTEMPTING INSTALLATION!

pfflyers
May 24th, 2012, 12:52
Not meaning to split hairs here, that is an update to version 2.0.

I'm using the recently released v2.1, with the gauges included. I had v2.0 previously but superceded it with v2.1 with Chuck's FDE.

I normally use "shift+W" for water rudder, do you use something else? To me it looks like the landing lights not only don't swivel, but don't even light up. Is there a special switch on the panel or in the vc that I'm not finding? I've been testing using the "L" key and "shift+W".

I'll try installing the panel update and see what happens.

edit: Installed the panel update, still no lights or animation. Oh well, guess I can live without them.

t.creed
May 24th, 2012, 13:28
by adding the above lines to the contact points does enable the landing lights to pivot, but
you also make a change to the .."max_number_of_points=17".. under the contact points section just above the string of numbers to reflect the additional lines added...with either model/config...i believe this will take care of it..:isadizzy:

rgds
t creed

stuartcox
May 24th, 2012, 13:39
by adding the above lines to the contact points does enable the landing lights to pivot, but
you also make a change to the .."max_number_of_points=17".. under the contact points section just above the string of numbers to reflect the additional lines added...with either model/config...i believe this will take care of it..:isadizzy:

rgds
t creed

Sorry I never mentioned this. I just took it for granted :running:

t.creed
May 24th, 2012, 13:53
cheers Stuart..!! hopefully this will take care of..pfflyers.. thanks again..!!

rgds
t creed

Blackbird686
May 24th, 2012, 13:54
I just noticed that there is a "panel.cfg" file in the gauges folder, along with the gauges.... Is is really nessessary to put a panel.cfg into the FS9 gauges folder with all of those gauges?

I guess I'm not real clear about the contact points, in relation to how it's supposed to make the landing lights work either. But that's not surprising... when it comes to contact points... I'm lost.:isadizzy:

BB686:USA-flag:

pfflyers
May 24th, 2012, 13:58
Thanks for all the help, they're working now.

One little niggle is the light effect doesn't quite line up with the structure. No biggie really, it's just that after all that fooling around I was looking at them pretty close.

Since the effect seems modelled in I guess you can't adjust it?

napamule
May 24th, 2012, 15:25
The lights working off the 'Water Rudder' is implemented by modeler by choice. He could of used a switch on panel to do 'Water Rudder' up/down. But he opted to use the water rudder which REQUIRES the 'point.x=5, ..' lines to enable the annimation. That's all.

The lines also will enable the actual rudders (if they were there) to extend/retract (but they are not there as it doesn't have pontoons, where the rudders would be attached). The annimation needs the 'point.x-5', with ANY lon, lat, vertical values (does NOT have to correspond to where the actual lights are position ref wise), plus the 'extension' and 'retraction' entries in seconds. That's all that's needed to make 'Shift+W' work to extend lights.

That is, IF you assigned it in 'Controls\Assignments' menu. The water rudder might not be set up, so do check that it IS assigned to a key (joy,etc), or, the default 'Shift+W' key combo.

Taking one item at a time when working with cnt pts helps. As does aligning up the clumns vertically so as to spot any 'errant' entry/ommision (typo). There is a definite order to it. And after working on them for 10 years (almost on a daily basis-as I too hate to see them 'flat' tires (hehe) I am still learning). The SDK helps a lot.

Oh, Mr Verlin & company just put out a 'New & Improved' FDEs for the v 2.1 Grumman so all this might just be irrelevant. Or is it? (If you look there are 2 'MOI' sections (ie: duplicate section). Not critical as sim engine will use the 1st instance of that section, and ignore the 2nd instance. Just saying. So by looking I can see he opted to re-install the 'AirWrench' sction (AS IF!), so it's back to the future! But he DID use my suggested MOI values (+ or - X%). I'm glad for that. But look out, as the brakes suck (again). I guess I should just mind my own business and not do any FDE's, except for Ito models, perhaps for the general public. It might not be 'politically correct'? File for Verlin's NEW FDEs (at FSCom) is 'hu-16_2_1_fde_rev.zip'. So good or bad I recommend you use HIS FDE's and ****-can mine, for the sake of tranquility. I enjoy simming 24/7 (am retired now) and I do HATE any/all forms of stress. Let's not disgusted.
Chuck B
Napamule

mverlin
May 24th, 2012, 18:27
Just to keep things on a friendly basis: Unfortunately, Greg Pepper is no longer with us. He entrusted me with the files for this aircraft. I claim no special expertise with regard to modeling FDE's I've done the best I can with this aircraft. The revisions I've made within the last week include fixing the hull and nose gear contacts, and restoring the landing lights. I find AirWrench to be a useful tool. The flight model I have now is, in my opinion, an improvement over the FDE that was uploaded with 2.0 5 years ago. The other modifications I've made are strictly confined to the liveries.

These files are freeware and are not proprietary. If someone feels that they can improve on what I've done, I raise no objection or complaint. If it will add to Greg's wonderful model, I welcome it.

Michael Verlin

t.creed
May 24th, 2012, 20:01
thanks for the updates Michael..!! yes, they are an improvement to a great model..!!

rgds
t creed

hurricane3
May 25th, 2012, 15:10
I downloaded the new FDE's from FlightSim.com and although the landing lights and everything work ok ,of the 19 textures 6 will not show up. I checked the config file and they are there ,and checked line by line but couldn't see any thing different,except for the 1943 texture is named "USN old wartime livery"In the sim it's just U.S.Navy 1943. I don't think the Albatross was even around then.
Anyway the 6 textures that don't show are U.S. Navy 1943, U.S.Navy Adak,U.S. Navy Brunswick,U.S. NavyKodiak 920, and U'S. Navy Kwajalein and U.S. Navy Iwakumi. This is how they are named in the sim.
In the config file they all have Rescue after U'S Navy but so do the ones that show up.
Any ideas how to get these textures to show? Thanks

graemeb
May 25th, 2012, 16:56
Anyway the 6 textures that don't show are U.S. Navy 1943, U.S.Navy Adak,U.S. Navy Brunswick,U.S. NavyKodiak 920, and U'S. Navy Kwajalein and U.S. Navy Iwakumi. This is how they are named in the sim.
In the config file they all have Rescue after U'S Navy but so do the ones that show up.
Any ideas how to get these textures to show? Thanks

The Brunswick and Kwajalein textures are available as separate downloads at Avsim. However, you are correct that a number of other textures listed in the aircraft.cfg are not present (ie: there is no corresponding folder). On my system, the following are missing:

usn.1943
usn.920
usn.adak
usn.iwakuni

Cheers,

hurricane3
May 25th, 2012, 17:26
Ok thanks for clearing that up for me. Have a good Memorial Day weekend.

mverlin
May 25th, 2012, 19:34
my apologies. The textures you refer to are living on my system. They are duplicates of the Midway textures except for numbers and station markings. If you really want them, I'll be happy to upload them.

hurricane3
May 26th, 2012, 06:10
Thankyou so much for offering to send the textures ,but I grabbed two from Avsim and I have more than enough. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.