PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

Willy
May 15th, 2012, 23:31
Manual? We don't need no steekin manual..

Was flying the DC-2 from Miami to Key West to dry the new Pan Am paint and got a little happy with the throttles. Darned if #1 didn't start pouring smoke out and I had to shut it down and feather it. Nothing like on the job training for one engine operation. I soon found out that a DC-2 will just manage to keep itself airborne on one engine. At least it did until I got to the nearest airfield....

TARPSBird
May 15th, 2012, 23:38
Willy, is that the Uiver DC-2?

Ferry_vO
May 16th, 2012, 01:59
We tend to think of these aircraft as venerable old ladies, but back in 1935 this was a thouroughbred machine so a bit of TLC is required in operations! The lack of cowl flaps is a bit of a challenge, but keep her at 2,000 rpm and 30 inch MP and she'll fly until the tanks are empty.
However, should an engine catch fire, a quick feathering and the use of the fire extinguishers could still save her. It's even possible to restart the engine in flight by windmilling it!

stansdds
May 16th, 2012, 02:03
Manual? We don't need no steekin manual..

Was flying the DC-2 from Miami to Key West to dry the new Pan Am paint and got a little happy with the throttles. Darned if #1 didn't start pouring smoke out and I had to shut it down and feather it. Nothing like on the job training for one engine operation. I soon found out that a DC-2 will just manage to keep itself airborne on one engine. At least it did until I got to the nearest airfield....

Don't worry, they'll just take the cost of repairs out of your paycheck. :isadizzy:

Daube
May 16th, 2012, 04:03
We tend to think of these aircraft as venerable old ladies, but back in 1935 this was a thouroughbred machine so a bit of TLC is required in operations! The lack of cowl flaps is a bit of a challenge, but keep her at 2,000 rpm and 30 inch MP and she'll fly until the tanks are empty.
However, should an engine catch fire, a quick feathering and the use of the fire extinguishers could still save her. It's even possible to restart the engine in flight by windmilling it!

Ah yes, now I remember why I wanted to buy this plane: it has some serious damage modelling inside, almost like Accusim. Fantastic addon, I have to say.

Daube
May 16th, 2012, 13:56
The plane has finally landed in my FSX hangar :)
As expected, it's a very nice addon. I took it for a test flight, and I could not resist the urge to shut an engine off in flight, with feathering. That worked like a charm. The problem is that I could not switch it on again :isadizzy:
I had the magnetos on and even the fuel boost set, I toggled the prop feather to windmil, had a "starting" sound but never got to the "running" stage... I had to land, and there the engine would start with the normal procedure... what did I do wrong ?

Oh, and before you ask: no, I have not **** yet. I started it as if it were an Accusim aircraft, and I took off right after I finished familiarizing with the cockpit, while the engines were warming up.

Willy
May 16th, 2012, 14:10
Willy, is that the Uiver DC-2?

Yep, I bought the FS9 version about a week ago. $20 well spent.

She'd run all night for me as long as I kept the MAP in the green. It was when I got "happy" with the throttles for too long that #1 developed that smoke leak. On one engine, she definitely wants to fly to the left. It was quite the experience trying to make it to the divert airport.

One thing I have found is that paints for the FSX version won't just convert over to the FS9 version as they remapped the textures for the FSX version. That's why I painted a Pan American one, because there wasn't one for FS9. There's more paints available for the FSX version that I've found and I was hoping to be able to convert them to the FS9 one. So, I'm exercising my meager paint skills. BTW, the paint kit doesn't come with layers for those who might be interested in slinging some paint. But I'm used to not working with layers anyway.

AussieMan
May 16th, 2012, 15:12
Willy I was on the beta team for both the FS9 and FSX models and quickly discovered you had to treat those engines like you would treat your wife/girlfriend otherwise they coulkd turn on you very quickly. Lost count of how many engines I had to replace :pop4: during the early stages of testing :).