PDA

View Full Version : Graphic start point with a 8800gts??

scoutII
December 26th, 2008, 05:22
Did a major reinstall of all flight sims - CFS looks fine - FSX looks a little lacking(aircraft used to have very sharp lines, now not so much) from what I remember - It's good but I remember being almost blown away by it - I am looking for a decent starting point to start tweaking - Core2 Quad - 8800gts - plenty of the right stuff - any one with a 8800gts care to give me there settings?? - Thanks Chris

Seaking055
December 26th, 2008, 07:25
Go get yourself Nhancer, it will make a big difference in your sims, you can have different settings for each one if you like. It allows you to overide the standard card settings.

I have basically the same rig and card as you and my fsx looks like you can reach in and touch it. If you decide to get Nhancer let me know and I'll be happy to let you have the setting I use for it.

Bjoern
December 26th, 2008, 08:30
AA: 8*SQ
AF: 16*
Quality setting: Very high

The most basic ones from the top of my head.

scoutII
December 26th, 2008, 08:59
Sorry for not enough info - Yes I would like to know what others have their nhancer set for....Did another install to make sure I had everything right - FSXDELUXE + SP1 + Accelleration + GEX + UTX + plane add-ons - Now seems to looks much better - Still would like to see others nhancer's set-ups - Happy again Chris:jump:

Butcherbird17
December 26th, 2008, 09:07
If you can wait till I get home from work I can send you my profile for nHancer and fsx (on laptop now). I use an 8800GTS 512 card.

Joe

scoutII
December 26th, 2008, 09:10
My BAD - I have ntunes not nhancer...No rush, I am more than happy with it now - Just seeing if it gets better..

Seaking055
December 26th, 2008, 11:11
This is what I have in Nhancer in both profile and global

AA Combined 8s
Gamma Correction ON
AF 16x
Vsync Off
Texture filtering Quality
Trilienear and Ansio Disabled
Negative LOD bias Clamp
Force DXT3 Off
Force mipmaps None
HDR Enabled
Conformant texture clamp ON\

Hope that helps some, it's a good place to start anyway

scoutII
December 26th, 2008, 16:36
If I have Ntune - Should I uninstall and load Nhancer?? Most of my settings are as yours...Thanks for your time

Seaking055
December 26th, 2008, 16:57
I have not used Ntune so not to sure, I would only use one though and I found Nhancer to really do the trick
when using Nhancer make sure AA is disabled in FSX though.

Butcherbird17
December 26th, 2008, 16:59
Ntune is more of a tool for nvidia chipsets (overclocking ect.)
nHancer is for more control over nvidia video drivers that the stock control panel does not give.

Joe

Seaking055
December 26th, 2008, 17:10
Thanks B17, I don't have a Nvidia chipset so that explains why i have not got it.
Thats what I love about this forum you learn something new all the time.

I had never o'clocked a puter before till this rig I have right now, that was a lot of reading up I can tell ya, but it payed off once I started to do it with FSX being so CPU hungry.

scoutII
December 26th, 2008, 17:31
Got the latest Nhancer - Anybody with their settings?

Roger
December 27th, 2008, 03:07
Nvidia control is all I use and it does have the facility to adapt settings for different programs, which it implements automatically once set up. I finally got my Fs9 to look good by trial and error.

Seaking055
December 27th, 2008, 04:54
Got the latest Nhancer - Anybody with their settings?

Read a few posts up Scout I posted what setting I use.

scoutII
December 27th, 2008, 06:52
Thanks - Major improvement - Also bought REX and FEX to go with GEX and UTX - WOW!!!

Cazzie
December 27th, 2008, 07:02
Mine are in this thread:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=5633

Caz

scoutII
December 27th, 2008, 16:13
Cazzie - How do you like the two 8800's on your machine? - I am in a position to do that.

Navy Chief
December 27th, 2008, 16:39
I figured out if I want to use both of my 8800s, I will have to get a more powerful PS. Mine is only 510W, and looks like a 850 should do it.

NC

Cazzie
December 27th, 2008, 17:07
Cazzie - How do you like the two 8800's on your machine? - I am in a position to do that.

They are SLI'd and I set all settings through nHancer. I have no problems with it. Do make sure you have a good power supply least you roast it. I have 750-W and plenty of cooling fans.

Caz

scoutII
December 27th, 2008, 17:12
I am SLI capable and I think I have a 600w(I will check) - still tweaking, but getting better looking and running all the time.

Bjoern
December 28th, 2008, 09:40
FSX doesn't really benefit from SLI.

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2008, 10:59
I reverted back to using one 8800, although the one installed now (even though is a 8800) is obviously different from my first one; it has two heat sinks on the top of the card. Whatever the change, it produces sharper, crisper images than the first card.

NC

scoutII
December 28th, 2008, 12:17
Thanks, I'll use the money elsewhere - Been trying different settings for the last 2 1/2 hours...Got it down good,but...I will get a flight where everything looks/fly's well, then I will reload the same flight and I get horrible jagged edges...change the enhancer AA setting and all looks fine till the next flight?? 8xs to 16xs - Looks fine for one flight only?? DID SOME READING....Found a post on how to set up nhancer - Looks real good now every time I fly....

Bjoern
December 29th, 2008, 06:18
I reverted back to using one 8800, although the one installed now (even though is a 8800) is obviously different from my first one; it has two heat sinks on the top of the card. Whatever the change, it produces sharper, crisper images than the first card.

The 8800GTS comes in two generations. The old one (which I have) with 640 or 320 Mbytes video memory and the old G80 "steam" GPU and the new one with 512 Megs and the new "electric" G92 GPU.

The newer one is faster, but has obvious disadvantages in memory size as well as a smaller memory bus (256bit vs 320bit on the old one). It mostly draws its superiority over its predecessor from the smaller manufacturing process (65nm vs 90nm on the G80) and the consequential increase in transistors contained in the GPU.

The old G80 cards consume as much energy as a modern, way faster GTX260, btw. So if your PSU can run an old G80 card, it can damn well keep a current, modern GTX board alive.

scoutII
December 29th, 2008, 14:42
Did another reinstall for the heck of it (down to 3 1/2 hrs) - and WOW!!! when all programs are running right, I see where all the great screen shots come from. Little more tweaking to see what this comp can handle - Thanks for the help and the search option:jump::jump:

scoutII
January 3rd, 2009, 16:18
Since the last post - I tried the Alacrity program and was still running 12-17 fps - Kept reading the bazillion posts on settings, more tweaking and came up with setting the water effects from 2xmax to 2xmed and now it run at a low of very,very brief 17(do not notice unless you are watching the rates)heavy everything, to 40 with a good average of 30-32, locked at 40, no stutters - Very Happy:applause: - Aonther reason this site is SO NEEDED:amen: