PDA

View Full Version : SOH A-26 Invader FSX Converted Files Download

Pages : [1] 2

Bomber_12th
May 7th, 2012, 18:14
Hi all,

It was a great pleasure to convert this aircraft to FSX, with many thanks to Milton Shupe for providing his source files for the original FS9 models!

This conversion is fairly basic, but the models are now true FSX native. The aircraft will now display, in every detail, as they were intended to display in FS9, plus some of the additional perks of FSX.

You must first have the original SOH A-26 for FS9 installed into FSX, as I have only included the new files and the changed/edited files. If you have repaints installed, that call upon these FSX models, you will need to copy over the texture files from one of the contained texture folders.

For now, I am providing the converted files through Media Fire, which you can download at the following link. If after a few days there are no issues reported, I will then upload the files to the SOH library.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?oi2abelq9mdh5bj

I hope you enjoy it! If you do happen to spot something that you think is a problem/issue with the models, please let me know.

Sundog
May 7th, 2012, 18:26
Thank you. :)

skyhawka4m
May 7th, 2012, 18:59
Thank you John!!! Its too bad you didn't do the B-26K also!

Bomber_12th
May 7th, 2012, 19:10
Unfortunately I never kept the source files for that one.

stovall
May 7th, 2012, 19:16
Thanks John, what a treat to fly this beautiful bird in FSX. When I first came to Redding, California the A-26 was one of the main fire fighting aircraft stationed at the USFS base at Redding Muni. The Tracker was also there. Great work.:medals:

Milton Shupe
May 7th, 2012, 19:24
Thank you so much John; they look awesome in FSX. I really appreciate you doing this. Great job! :applause:

skyhawka4m
May 7th, 2012, 19:27
John.....just took them for a ride......outstanding!!!! thank you so much for doing the full conversion.

I haven't been doing much sim work lately as I've been dealing with real life and bought a new toy......hope to get back to some P-51 stuff soon and buying Tear also. did you happen to se the latest magazine featuring the Nevada ANG P-51's?

AussieMan
May 7th, 2012, 19:29
Thanks John .... just downloaded it.

I am now hoping that the original repaints work on it.

Bomber_12th
May 7th, 2012, 19:47
I also want to make a point to thank everyone, especially Milton, who reminded me about what I had said I would set out to do - something that I lost sight of for a while. Check Checkers (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?checkers/) and Dischem Specials (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?dischem/).

I have left everything as original to the FS9 release as possible, so all of the textures for the models from FS9 will work just fine.

roger-wilco-66
May 7th, 2012, 20:58
Awesome job, John! Thanks!

:ernae:
Mark

gecko65
May 7th, 2012, 21:21
This is great - Thank you!!! :jump:

Roger
May 7th, 2012, 22:50
Many thanks John:applause:

DaveQ
May 8th, 2012, 01:19
Many thanks John for more great work on something other than a Mustang!! I shall now go and play with the paint kit.....!

BTW, you said it is now FSX-native; is it possible for me to make bump maps and specular shine files?

DaveQ

Firekitten
May 8th, 2012, 02:42
John, thankyou :) You worked so fast! :D

Going to check it out now :)

DaveQ
May 8th, 2012, 03:24
Thank you John!!! Its too bad you didn't do the B-26K also!

I've just copied John's new glass and prop files into the B-26K texture folders - everything seems to be OK. Not FSX-native obviously but useable I think.

DaveQ

Bomber_12th
May 8th, 2012, 03:51
Many thanks John for more great work on something other than a Mustang!! I shall now go and play with the paint kit.....!

BTW, you said it is now FSX-native; is it possible for me to make bump maps and specular shine files?

DaveQ

Hi Dave,

It is FSX native, but there are no bump maps or spec maps assigned to the materials, so right now there isn't support for those, even if they were to be made. My plan was to wait until larger-resolution textures could be made (doubling the size of the original texures), and then bump and spec maps would be made/assigned then. That is something I set out to do, almost from the get-go several months back, but I could never get that work finished, so I finally set my sights on just doing the most basic FSX conversion, for now, so that everyone would finally have a true FSX version (despite no bump maps or spec maps). Unfortunately it could take me a while to complete something like that.

So...

I'm thinking that between taking some time today and some time tomorrow, I will try and create some good bump and spec maps from just the existing resolution textures/templates and assign those options to the exterior materials. I'll make the spec maps "neutral", so that they can be used with any repaint, without any side-effects that comes with making spec maps unique to one individual paint scheme. Of course everyone will also be free to make their own spec maps using the already existing paintkit, if they wish.

Still, for the time being, if you're interested, please do still download the above files, in order to fly the aircraft, problem free, in FSX. When I do have the specular and bump mapped versions ready, the files will just be updated and will be able to be installed over the existing files, again. If I can get that done within today/tomorrow, those will be the files I upload to the library.

danyboy21
May 8th, 2012, 04:36
Fantastic :applause::applause::applause:

Many Thanks John

Fireball6
May 8th, 2012, 04:43
Thanks for your efforts John - very well done, like to fly this great addon in FSX in all her beauty :applause::applause::applause:

Bomber_12th
May 8th, 2012, 05:04
Unfortunately I had forgotten just how many texture files there are that cover the exterior surfaces, and why I got bogged down in the first place, months ago. Between the aircraft's fuselage, wings, tail, cowlings and nacelles, there are 7 textures in all. That means that in order to have both spec maps and bump maps, the aircraft would have 21 textures, just to cover the surface of the aircraft. The only way to alleviate that would be to re-map the aircraft, but then of course old repaints would no longer work.

I figure I still will go forth with the bump maps, but will leave the spec maps out, with the specular remaining in control through the model.

italoc
May 8th, 2012, 05:16
Thank you very much, Bomber_12 :applause::applause:
Italo

Bomber_12th
May 8th, 2012, 05:55
Also, I was reminded that a couple of the most amazing repaints produced for this aircraft in FS9, by Damian Radice, were made to be applied to the early gun nose variant that I released with the "Margie" repaint I did, so it is important to me to get that early gun nose variant reproduced for FSX as well.

Enjoying some time with one of Damian's repaints:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/invader_1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/invader_2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/invader_4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/invader_3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/invader_5.jpg

Dimus
May 8th, 2012, 06:18
This looks great John.

We have one of these in Tatoi, my club's base, owned by a local shipowner and TV channel owner. It is in flying condition but rarely flies. I might try a repaint for this. Does this model also include a multigun nose version like this one? Correction: I now see in your first post that indeed a gun nose is included.

bushpilot
May 8th, 2012, 07:44
Oooo it's so purty! Thank you for an amazing job :salute:

TuFun
May 8th, 2012, 08:05
Thanks a bunch John... awesome work!!!

Daube
May 8th, 2012, 08:44
Thanks a lot for this conversion John !!

DaveWG
May 8th, 2012, 09:00
Thanks for doing the conversion John, much appreciated.
And thanks to Milton & everyone else involved in the original release.

:salute:

langereis
May 8th, 2012, 09:13
Hi,

Very beautiful plane, but I can't stear it while taxien on the runway.

What to do?
:isadizzy:

Kind regards,
langereis

Ferry_vO
May 8th, 2012, 09:15
We have one of these in Tatoi, my club's base, owned by a local shipowner and TV channel owner.

Guns and passengers..? interesting combo! :icon_lol:

The (Formerly?) Swedish 'Sugerland Express' has a similar configuration.

Anyway, thanks John!

Ferry_vO
May 8th, 2012, 09:16
Very beautiful plane, but I can't stear it while taxien on the runway.

What to do?
:isadizzy:

Try the differential brakes or using seperate throttles as the plane, like the original, has a castoring nosewheel.

Daube
May 8th, 2012, 09:35
I have just made a test flight. I have to confess that I didn't remember this plane being so good. Perhaps I had tried an early version or something like this, but in my memory this plane had a basic and non-interractive (not clickable) virtual cockpit.
Here instead, I got into a fully (almost) functionnal VC with everything I needed ! :jump: What a pleasant surprise !

The flight around Bowerman was great and the plane behaved quite nicely. I would simply have five remarks:

1- I could not start the engines. Perhaps I need to ****, but basically I tried to switch them on exactely like in the B-17 or P-47 Accusim
- Batteries ON
- Props RPM 70%
- Mixture full rich
- magnetos BOTH
- Enegizer ON (here I get no sounds or anything like that, so I don't know if it was really working or not...)
- Starter ON (no noise, no reaction, just like if I had no more batteries... nevertheless, I had Volts and the nav lights were still working...
I had to cheat and use the keyboard Magnetos commands: M key, then '+' maintained. Both engines started successfully in this way.

2- On final, the last crank of flaps seemed to disrupt my lift... but this one I'll have to check again, perhaps it's just my speed that dropped a bit too much.

3- Cabin lights (not istrument lights) didn't work, but perhaps they work only at night ?

4- taxying was fine once I understood how to use the separate throttles. Was it like this in the real plane as well ? (no front wheel steering and no differential brakes?) EDIT: ah ok, answer is right above my post :D

5- the windows are a bit too milky, as you can see in the screenshot below. Are the INSIDE windows linked to a texture or not ? If yes, then I can solve it simply by editing the Alpha Channel myself. If not, some material edition would be needed.

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image1773.jpg

A great plane in any case, I think I'm going to fly this one quite a lot. Also, I think I will add the freeware 3D landing lights too, that should be fun :)
Thanks again John for the conversion, and thanks to the SOH team who did the original plane :ernae:

langereis
May 8th, 2012, 09:38
Ferry_Vo

Thanks for your quick response. That did the trick!
Kind Regards,
Langereis

Bedankt en groeten vanuit Apeldoorn!!!

fliger747
May 8th, 2012, 09:53
FSX does a few things differently and I will revisit this plane to tweak a few items from the FS9 version. As noted above, the plane steers by differential braking and rudder as did the original. The way this works in FS is the braking is applied to either side in proportion to the rudder deflection. If you do happen to have dual throttles, even better! Though not as obvious as having nose wheel steering, once you get used to it you will find the takeoff runs much easier with less over controlling.

Currently revising the cyl head and oil temps and may have to adjust the low AOA lift a snitch to help the takeoff rotation (this was a bit of an issue with the FS9 version as well). A myriad of other small issues as well.

T

Bomber_12th
May 8th, 2012, 10:10
Daube,

Thank you for the feedback on the interior/VC glass! The opacity is controlled via the alpha channel connected to the VC_Glass_T texture, so making it darker will make the windows clearer from the VC. I noticed them a bit too 'cloudy' this morning too, after flying the aircraft in early hours - it isn't as present during the middle of the day. I'll provide an adjusted VC_Glass_T texture when I upload the files to the SOH library. Regarding the start-up procedure, I remember the aircraft has a gauge that comes into play, to allow you to start the engines in an authentic manner, with the energizer/starter switches. I'll have to check that out and try it out myself - I've been more of a sucker for the Ctrl-E as of late, something that the "2+ year ago me" would have been kicking myself about. : )

When I upload the files to SOH, the models will have bump map support, but the bump maps will be very, very subtle, as I don't really feel the models/textures are in the best format for bump maps, at least at this time. However, by doing this, it does allow others to make their own bump maps, if they wish, to whatever degree of intensity they desire. Also, if larger resolution textures are made, more detailed bump maps can also be made at that time.

Also, with the SOH files, I'll be providing FSX versions of the models I originally made, using Milton's source files, for the "Rude Invader", "Margie", and "CIA" repaints back when this aircraft was originally released for FS9.

When I upload the files to SOH, hopefully tomorrow, or Thursday at the latest, I'll make a post to this thread.

Bomber_12th
May 8th, 2012, 10:12
FSX does a few things differently and I will revisit this plane to tweak a few items from the FS9 version. As noted above, the plane steers by differential braking and rudder as did the original. The way this works in FS is the braking is applied to either side in proportion to the rudder deflection. If you do happen to have dual throttles, even better! Though not as obvious as having nose wheel steering, once you get used to it you will find the takeoff runs much easier with less over controlling.

Currently revising the cyl head and oil temps and may have to adjust the low AOA lift a snitch to help the takeoff rotation (this was a bit of an issue with the FS9 version as well). A myriad of other small issues as well.

T

That sounds great, Tom! I've always been a fan of the nose steering on the SOH A-26 - very accurate/realistic. I know it will be great to 'see and feel' the updated flight dynamics!

Firekitten
May 8th, 2012, 10:21
Be careful not to knock the flight dynamics too far... the fs9 one I thought was fairly accurate... the A-26 not being an aircraft one 'rotates' on takeoff, but fly it off the runway at a shallow angle... The highspeed wing has fairly unique handling with a beast of that weight.

John; I'm working on a set of updated plain metal background textures for the 26 in 2048x2048 if you'd like those for the more detailed bumpmaps at a later point?

Daube: yep, the last notch will do that, its more drag than lift... she's a quirky plane to land, try to maintain around 130mph on final, with 110-115 over the keys, landing fairly flat with little flare, and a touch of power to arrest the descent.

Roger
May 8th, 2012, 10:44
:engel016:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/a26x-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/a26x-2.jpg

fliger747
May 8th, 2012, 11:02
Wiredly enough the cfg file I had on my computer was missing the {Differential_Braking_Scale =1.0} line.... So yet another thing to add!

T

papab
May 8th, 2012, 11:55
I have just made a test flight. I have to confess that I didn't remember this plane being so good. Perhaps I had tried an early version or something like this, but in my memory this plane had a basic and non-interractive (not clickable) virtual cockpit.
Here instead, I got into a fully (almost) functionnal VC with everything I needed ! :jump: What a pleasant surprise !

The flight around Bowerman was great and the plane behaved quite nicely. I would simply have five remarks:

1- I could not start the engines. Perhaps I need to ****, but basically I tried to switch them on exactely like in the B-17 or P-47 Accusim
- Batteries ON
- Props RPM 70%
- Mixture full rich
- magnetos BOTH
- Enegizer ON (here I get no sounds or anything like that, so I don't know if it was really working or not...)
- Starter ON (no noise, no reaction, just like if I had no more batteries... nevertheless, I had Volts and the nav lights were still working...
I had to cheat and use the keyboard Magnetos commands: M key, then '+' maintained. Both engines started successfully in this way.

There is a word text document in the panel folder of the original FS9 A26
Here is what it says:

"The included optional A26_engine_start.gau from D. Dawson has been
modified so the engines can be started using the overhead panel.
Speaking of which, that is a two step process. First engage the desired
engine, then click and hold the starter switch for that engine.
To activate the engine start gauge, remove the // from window00 gauge 31
and ensure you have the latest FSUIPC installed."

Look in the panel folder........

Rick

TuFun
May 8th, 2012, 12:01
Very nice John... having a blast with the old bird!!!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0812-12-18-84.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0812-22-55-85.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0812-36-04-55.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0812-30-44-09.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0812-37-40-62.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0812-46-01-46.jpg

Daube
May 8th, 2012, 12:49
Thanks John, Firekitten and Rick for your explanations.
Indeed the glass was linked to a texture. I have darkened the Alpha channel.
Also, the flaps behavior as described here corresponds to what I experienced during my test flight. I'll have to be carefull about that :D
Concerning the starter gauge, it looks like I had to ****. As written here, there was a gauge to uncomment in the panel.cfg. I have done that, but unfortunately it seems that it's making my sim crash upon aircraft loading, may it be in game or on freeflight creation screen. I noticed that before the uncomment, the aircraft was taking ages to load (more than 5 seconds) before finally appearing on the preview window. Perhaps this is linked ?

Bomber_12th
May 8th, 2012, 16:06
I love the screenshots posted! Thank you Roger and Ted!

Rachael, regarding the higher resolution textures you're working on, that sounds awesome!! And I would certainly love to use them to create new bump maps when the time comes! And regarding the specialized model for the "Fire Eaters" scheme(s), I still have my mind set on providing that for you.

All of the models now have bump maps made and assigned. I also have finished reproducing the early gun-nose variant. While making the early gun-nose variant, I re-scaled and re-mapped all of the guns, so I will be replacing the guns on the other models now as well. I also want to re-map the control yoke and column in the VC's. I have also darkened the alpha channel for the VC glass a bit, so that it is clearer. Other than that, exporting a couple of other variant models, and packaging it all together, I think it is fairly well set towards an upload to the SOH library.

Here are some screenshots of the early gun nose variant, with a couple of repaints of Damian Radice's which were made for this specific model type back in FS9. There are bump maps in-place, and although subtle, you should still see some of the effects of them at work in the screenshots. Although I'm going to include this model and two others, that didn't come with the original FS9 package, they will be provided in a way that is off-set, so you can choose to install them if you want to or not.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/early_nose1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/early_nose2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/early_nose3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/early_nose4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/early_nose5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/early_nose6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/early_nose7.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/early_nose8.jpg

Milton Shupe
May 8th, 2012, 16:18
Woooo-Hoooooo!!!! Excelenté! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Lateral-G
May 8th, 2012, 16:45
Thanks so much for the update!

:salute::applause:

dvj
May 8th, 2012, 17:06
Thrilling. I must say that the freeware showing up on this site recently is simply amazing. :salute:

Bomber_12th
May 8th, 2012, 18:54
Well, I think everything is ready for upload to SOH, with all of the latest additions/modifications. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to package it all together and upload it, so that some more time can be spent looking things over.

Anyone who has seen the old Jeff Ethell A-26 check-out film from the "Wonderful World of Warbirds" series should know this aircraft. By bumping up the alpha channels, you can really make this thing shine in FSX.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/rude_invader_2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/rude_invader_3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/rude_invader_4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/rude_invader_5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/rude_invader_6.jpg

fliger747
May 8th, 2012, 19:14
Just a few minor revisions to the flight dynmics, small tweaks really, but FSX and FS9 do some things differently. Indeed the plane does not leap of the runway, but the initial pull is sometimes problematic. In the original FS9 bird, some minor modification of the very low AOA lift and pitch was necessary to get a realistic takeoff. Part of this is due to the way FS in general treats horiz stabs and elevators, and also prop blast.

A great Milton Classic, glad to see it getting a new life!

T

airattackimages
May 8th, 2012, 19:20
Very enjoyable, thank you!

TuFun
May 8th, 2012, 20:18
John... lov'n the polished beauty!!!

Not as nice as yours... a little dx3 polish!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0820-47-01-40.jpg

skyhawka4m
May 8th, 2012, 21:20
John... lov'n the polished beauty!!!

Not as nice as yours... a little dx3 polish!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0820-47-01-40.jpg

Can we get a plain jane aremetal with no markings?

Firekitten
May 8th, 2012, 22:37
John; Cool, I'll get cracking on the new set, same mappings? (I presume so) will work as fast as possible!

As for the fire eaters one, thankyou! basically use the glass nose C, but make the upper solid, as though it was simply replaced with a metal cover, but same shape...

Will knock up a set of 'Tanker 57' Fire Eaters textures for this on the new base textures when done, and an fs9 version not to leave out our neighbors.

stansdds
May 9th, 2012, 01:13
This is just awesome! :jump::applause::applause::applause:

DaveQ
May 9th, 2012, 01:22
John - thanks for the note about bumps and specs on Page 1 - only just got back to this thread today. Awaited eagerly here!!

VCN-1
May 9th, 2012, 06:13
Was the K variant updated also?

VCN-1

Bomber_12th
May 9th, 2012, 07:00
VCN-1, I never kept the source files from that project (or the On Mark example), so it would have to be re-done all over again, and right now I just don't have the time I can invest in it - I suspect that it will be done, sometime, however.

I have just uploaded the updated final conversion files to the SOH library, and I'll post the link when activated.

Bomber_12th
May 9th, 2012, 07:55
Okay, here are the final (at least for the time being) FSX conversion files: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=34&linkid=6951

If you already have the previous FSX files installed, just overwrite the existing files with these. If installing the early gun nose variant models and repaints, there is a folder of separate textures included, just for those repaints. Hopefully the installation text is detailed and understandable enough. : )

fliger747
May 9th, 2012, 08:01
Whence doing some single engine flying, I did not get a visual feather of the blades. Anyone else?

Cheers: T

dvj
May 9th, 2012, 08:07
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/290a26.jpg

Bomber_12th
May 9th, 2012, 08:28
Whence doing some single engine flying, I did not get a visual feather of the blades. Anyone else?

That's correct Tom. The individual prop blade rotation is controlled via the prop pitch lever animation, so they only will rotate to feathered position by pulling the prop pitch levers back. The prop-feathering switches use the default prop-feathering code, so they do function, but you'll have to pull the prop levers back, too, for the full effect.

DVJ, that is beautiful screenshot!

Bomber_12th
May 9th, 2012, 08:29
BTW, if any moderator would like to replace my first post in this thread, with one with a link to the SOH/current download files, please do!

Milton Shupe
May 9th, 2012, 08:31
That's correct Tom. The individual prop blade rotation is controlled via the prop pitch lever animation, so they only will rotate to feathered position by pulling the prop pitch levers back. The prop-feathering switches use the default prop-feathering code, so they do function, but you'll have to pull the prop levers back, too, for the full effect.

DVJ, that is beautiful screenshot!

Agreed! :-)

Thanks again,; got my copy :jump:

fliger747
May 9th, 2012, 08:31
John:

Thanks, prop feathering now. Will try to spit out a revised file soon,which mostly makes a few minor changes to braking, ground handling and takeoff manners.

T

fliger747
May 9th, 2012, 08:45
Keep getting server too busy to post any attachments, will try again!

T

fliger747
May 9th, 2012, 08:48
Definitly some issue with the server, keep getting into some endless loop with the server too busy when trying an attachment.

T

fliger747
May 9th, 2012, 09:37
Try these, remove the .txt at the end:

T

Erdinger
May 9th, 2012, 09:58
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/290a26.jpg

What scenery is this?

Milton Shupe
May 9th, 2012, 10:10
Tom also sent teh FM to me just in case he could not get it posted.

I added another 6 or so fltsim sections from what I have if you are interested, otherwise teh same as Tom posted.

StormILM
May 9th, 2012, 14:22
Is anyone else having an issue with the some of the VC textures not displaying/displaying as gray on the center pedestal, seat and black background around parts of the panel? I'm not sure if I goofed with proper placement with some of the bump textures or if there is a minor mapping issue.

Any ideas?

Roger
May 9th, 2012, 14:23
Another of Damian's...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/a26x-3.jpg

FSX68
May 9th, 2012, 14:34
Try these, remove the .txt at the end:

T

Which one of these files are you referring to and what txt is removed?

FSX68
May 9th, 2012, 14:37
Tom also sent teh FM to me just in case he could not get it posted.

I added another 6 or so fltsim sections from what I have if you are interested, otherwise teh same as Tom posted.

any appreciable differences from the original files?

Sundog
May 9th, 2012, 14:39

The files you downloaded have ".txt" at the end of their names. Just delete that part and copy and overwrite the existing files. If you have textures installed, you may want to copy that part of the file over into the new ones before copying and pasting, or just rename the current ones to ".bak" so they don't get over written.

Edit: OK, I see, when you download them, using "saveas" they download without the .txt at the end of them. So you can probably just copy them over.

Roger
May 9th, 2012, 14:39

Download them both (one is the .air file the other the .cfg file). Then remove the .txt from the file name. If you have additional repaints then you might want to copy these entries from the old .cfg and add them to the new one, ensuring that the number sequence is maintained..

TuFun
May 9th, 2012, 15:27
Just gets better and better... now I need to try out the new .cfg files. Thank you John!!!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0912-00-32-40.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0911-59-24-82.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0912-05-30-83.jpg

Bomber_12th
May 9th, 2012, 15:31
That looks simply awesome, Ted! And great screenshots too!

Tom, thank you for the updated flight dynamics!

Bomber_12th
May 9th, 2012, 15:54
Here are some more shots collected from yesterday:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/a26b_1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/a26b_3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/a26b_2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/a26b_4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/a26b_5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/a26b_6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/a26b_7.jpg

fliger747
May 9th, 2012, 17:22
Geeze those look nice!

T

StormILM
May 9th, 2012, 19:57
Here are screens of the VC texture issue I am experiencing that I mentioned on a post above. The red arrows mark the problem areas.

I did revert back to the original FSX native models & textures minus the bump textures and the blacked out texture area in the front-right side of the VC was again green but the center pedestal & seat, retracted boarding ladder appear partly untextured gray. I did go back an fully check to make sure all the files were in the proper location and return to the newest version of the models & textures but the issue is still present. Everything else appears normal and functions perfectly.

Bomber_12th
May 9th, 2012, 20:08
StormILM, it is displaying correctly for you. That is how the VC was originally in FS9 as well, and I have left it just as is. Unfortunately I'm not in a position that I can invest the time needed to advance it further.

DennyA
May 9th, 2012, 20:17
Wow... I'm away from S-O for a few days and I come back and find this! I've been waiting literally years for someone to update this amazing model for FSX.

I just have to pop in and say a huge THANK YOU to John! I think I can speak for everyone here in saying we all really appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

(Actual huge "thank you" ;-) ______________^^

And it was fun to come in and see the enthusiasm of the crowd here push you to go back to it after "finishing" and add the bump maps too! Anyway, I can't wait to fire it up. Please know that your time and effort is is greatly appreciated!

StormILM
May 9th, 2012, 20:35
StormILM, it is displaying correctly for you. That is how the VC was originally in FS9 as well, and I have left it just as is. Unfortunately I'm not in a position that I can invest the time needed to advance it further.

John, thanks for the reply and for doing what you have done on this model for us! I guess that one spot (forward right wall) appeared different after the changes and I thought I screwed up something/misplaced some files. It's a minor visual and not a killer to the rest of the model. But if you don't mind me asking, if myself/some of my fellow A-26 users wanted to update the VC texture spots pointed out, is it something that can be tackled by normal painting tools or does it fall into more advanced MDL/Mapping needs? I'd be willing to take a crack at it if pointed in the right direction or help contribute.

TuFun
May 9th, 2012, 21:35
Playing with the engine textures... grey and the other blue-grey.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0922-16-10-12.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0922-05-08-80.jpg

TuFun
May 9th, 2012, 22:39
Here are screens of the VC texture issue I am experiencing that I mentioned on a post above. The red arrows mark the problem areas.

I did revert back to the original FSX native models & textures minus the bump textures and the blacked out texture area in the front-right side of the VC was again green but the center pedestal & seat, retracted boarding ladder appear partly untextured gray. I did go back an fully check to make sure all the files were in the proper location and return to the newest version of the models & textures but the issue is still present. Everything else appears normal and functions perfectly.

I see what you mean... my smokes are missing?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-0923-27-19-95.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-0923-26-45-64.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-0923-26-35-84.jpg

Started tinkering with the cockpit textures... not my forte. So far that I can see the darkgray.bmp handles the seat, peddle rods, ladder, and a few buttons.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1003-08-54-55.jpg

Dirty up some of the knobs, floor and sides, and console panels. Needs a lot of work... just testing to see if I can do this. Will be focusing on the seat and those knobs. Looks like the pattern has to be very tight because of the stretching effect.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1003-09-39-99.jpg

This is the glass nose version
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/A-26Cfr.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/A-26Cr.jpg

dvj
May 10th, 2012, 07:30
Playing with the engine textures... grey and the other blue-grey.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0922-16-10-12.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-0922-05-08-80.jpg

TuFun is having........ Too Much Fun!
:applause:

StormILM
May 10th, 2012, 11:40
TuFun, looks good. I managed to weather some of the VC parts to attempt to give them a sun beaten look to where the paint or coatings had oxidized and then chipped/flaked off. My attempt(a very novice attempt) came out okay enough for testing/evaluating in this process of trial and error. Until you mentioned your locating the BMP which covered the seats, I was driving myself crazy trying to find that texture to also weather effect it. You're right, that particular texture is small and it's awfully hard to get a good stippling or brush/blend effect on such a size. It stretches or blurs on some parts and looks fine on others. I decided to replace that texture with a larger one that's already stippled/weathered and see how it works and if there is no ill effects on the appearance or performance FPS wise, I will go from there. As I noted before, when it comes to texturing/painting, I am a novice but learning as quick as I can but my intent is not a major overhaul of the VC, just enhance what's already there and as lightly as possible.

Will post my results later after more work and testing.

Firekitten
May 10th, 2012, 13:09
If you bump it up in size to 1024, or 2048, and your texturemaxload is high enough (ie equal) it should in theory improve it, unless its the materials LOD stretching it that way.. then it might not. That element of textures and modeling is a bit vague to me...

TuFun
May 10th, 2012, 13:16
Pretty much limited skills here, but here's what I have...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1013-59-58-12.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1014-00-37-50.jpg

fsxar177
May 10th, 2012, 13:31
TANKERS

I am enjoying this A-26 update greatly. Did some flying out of McCall Idaho today. Reminded me of the 1989 film "Always", which if you haven't seen, go watch it NOW....

While are you still here? Go Watch it NOW...

Anyway, one recommendation on the A-26. It desperately needs to be compiled as one complete package. And if some of the various skins could be compiled with it, that would also be great. This aircraft deserves it fellas!

I'm still having a few minor texture issues, must not have followed the instructions perfectly...

Enjoy the shots!
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker1.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker2.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker3.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker4.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker5.jpg

Joseph

StormILM
May 10th, 2012, 13:36
Here's what I came up with. The center pedestal parts I put the stipple effect on by hand and the seat parts were simply done by renaming one of the black bmp's to the gray version. Some of the seats I've seen were painted black over chromate yellow/green with worn through parts showing bare metal and some seats I seen painted solid gray or covered by green or blue canvas. Your work on the seat give the proper appearance of the "bucket" shape of the basic seat. TuFun, do you know what texture covers that black panel to the forward right on the B model VC?

Milton Shupe
May 10th, 2012, 15:19
...snipped... Your work on the seat give the proper appearance of the "bucket" shape of the basic seat. TuFun, do you know what texture covers that black panel to the forward right on the B model VC?

Good work on this. Attached is a 32 bit version of the vcinterior.bmp that may be helpful for other work.

The texture in question you are looking for is vcparts.bmp. Attached is the 24 bit version, and a graphic showing the area used. I do not recall what other parts, if any, use this section of the bmp.

TuFun
May 10th, 2012, 15:26
Here's what I came up with. The center pedestal parts I put the stipple effect on by hand and the seat parts were simply done by renaming one of the black bmp's to the gray version. Some of the seats I've seen were painted black over chromate yellow/green with worn through parts showing bare metal and some seats I seen painted solid gray or covered by green or blue canvas. Your work on the seat give the proper appearance of the "bucket" shape of the basic seat. TuFun, do you know what texture covers that black panel to the forward right on the B model VC?

Found the panel... it's in the vcparts.bmp, the little black square. Milton has put a red boarder around the square in the pic. Testing it with this green texture.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1016-16-59-33.jpg

Cirrus N210MS
May 10th, 2012, 16:07
cant wait to fly This plane in FSX i miss flying it Thank you guys :salute:

heywooood
May 10th, 2012, 17:25
great work on the interior TuFun - I look forward to using these files - if you decide to make them generally available

Thanks to Milton and Bomber_12th as well - the plane looks terrific and the FPS boost is notable

TuFun
May 10th, 2012, 19:58
More tinkering...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1020-30-30-09.jpghttp://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1020-29-27-87.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1020-42-13-16.jpg

Firekitten
May 11th, 2012, 02:54
FSXAR177; Always is an awesome movie :) I'm doing Pete's A-26 at the moment, well, the fs9 one is done, but I need to redo it on the fsx textures im finishing first :P

fsxar177
May 11th, 2012, 11:42
Firekitten,
Sounds good! I'll look forward to it!

Joseph

robcap
May 11th, 2012, 12:24
Looking forward very much to your updated VC textures, TuFun!!

R.

TuFun
May 11th, 2012, 13:07
Looking forward very much to your updated VC textures, TuFun!!

R.

Thanks... looking at the bezels to what I can do here.

TuFun
May 11th, 2012, 13:11

Any updates on your cockpit? Like what you did with seat cushion and worn thru parts!

Been looking thru photos of cockpits... some black, some gray. -TF

TuFun
May 11th, 2012, 13:18
Got the buffer out and think I got carried away! :icon_lol: Went back and tinkered with the engines again... adding a little more detail. Trying to give that 3d illusion to the cylinders.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-1017-40-52-21.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-1017-38-29-35.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-1113-33-17-37.jpg

UPDATE: One minor fix and the engines will be done. There are two versions... one fresh, one worn. Now back to the cockpit!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1118-25-56-41.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1118-23-12-26.jpg

fsxar177
May 11th, 2012, 19:05
Just for a heads up:
Noticed the texture issue I was dealing with. A few textures, such as the tires, and propeller hubs, won't display properly in DX10. I should have known this. All is 100% in DX9

Joseph

fsxar177
May 11th, 2012, 20:11
While we wait for the updated set of textures...

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker11.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker6.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker8.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker9.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker7.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/fsxar177/tanker10.jpg

Joseph

jankees
May 12th, 2012, 00:51
At last I found time to install it, and it feels good to have it back in my sim.
I have one problem, in cockpit view, everything outside the cockpit turns black after a second. Anyone any ideas what is going on? I accidentaly downloaded the blind-flying version?
It now feels a bit like flying a MS Flight P-51, and we don't want that..

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/FX17120.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/FX17121.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/FX17122.jpg

the last one was lucky, without cockpit view..

Bomber_12th
May 12th, 2012, 08:30
Jan Kees, be sure that the VC_Glass_T texture file (along with all of the new textures included) are installed into the various texture/repaint folders that you have. If the VC glass texture isn't present, the VC glass will turn black. Also, if the original Glass_T texture is still in-place, and is not replaced with the New Glass_T and Spec texture files, then the exterior glass won't be displaying as it should, either (as seems to possibly be the case based on your screenshots).

For any repaints you have installed, you have to carry over all of the texture files from one of the included texture folders. The fuselage bump maps are different for the A-26C than those for the A-26B (they are also different for the early gun-nosed A-26), so you will also want to make sure you are pulling the bump maps from one of the texture folders for the same model type.

Bomber_12th
May 12th, 2012, 08:45
Also, I didn't realize until the last day or so, how the VC glass looks with the cockpit light on at night. I'm going to redo the material for the VC glass so that it doesn't have that bright effect. I also forgot to assign the night map/nigh lighting to the instrument panel/gauges. Unfortunately this means having to again replace the models with new ones.

I'll be providing updated interior models, shortly.

PZL Belfegor
May 12th, 2012, 09:08
Thanks for the great work to original creators (it aged with dignity, still looking and working nice) and Bomber_12th for the conversion!
Would you please look at the landing lights too? They don't seem to illuminate ground during night, unless the plane is flying inverted at very low altitude above ground - the "cone" is there, but points wrong way. Is there a way to manually start engines, without reverting to ctrl+e? The A26_engine_start!engine_start crashes FSX if un-slashed in panel.cfg and without it energizer doesn't work. Also, what is that second commented-out gauge, "ROSTOYS!Hula"?

TuFun
May 12th, 2012, 09:21
Also, I didn't realize until the last day or so, how the VC glass looks with the cockpit light on at night. I'm going to redo the material for the VC glass so that it doesn't have that bright effect. I also forgot to assign the night map/nigh lighting to the instrument panel/gauges. Unfortunately this means having to again replace the models with new ones.

I'll be providing updated interior models, shortly.

Looking forward to the fixes. Especially the interior models! ;)

dvj
May 12th, 2012, 09:45
As it is, this model is great for high speed, low level flying. Smooth, great control and wonderful sound set. BTW, what happened to the Black Widow project?

airattackimages
May 12th, 2012, 11:23
How do I get the non-smoking version? :icon_lol: The only smoke I want in my cockpit is wildland fire smoke!

StormILM
May 12th, 2012, 13:12
Here are the textures I worked on. The two that are labeled 1darkgray and 2darkgray are different versions of the seat textures. The first one is the one seen in the above screens which look like a seat covering of sorts. The other is more of a worn black finish. Pick whichever you want to use and place them in each texture folder(be sure to back up the originals and also just delete the number at the beginning of the file name before placing it into the texture folders.). Also there is the vcparts.bmp which has the weathered gray/metal areas. The chromate green parts/panels are not weathered.

TuFun, your weathering on those green parts look great as well as your work on the rest of the VC. So if possible, could you add your technique on the VC green panels/parts to what I did on this attachment and perhaps throw both of our works into a VC texture update pack including your worn metal seat?(I'd like to get a copy of that seat/texture!) The different types of VC texturing can give a few options to A-26 users for different versions.

(Edit) In my haste, I forgot to say THANK YOU to Milton!

Milton Shupe
May 12th, 2012, 13:43
Hey everyone; I love the improvements all around. Thanks for all the efforts to improve the Invader. Keep up the great work! :applause:

TuFun
May 12th, 2012, 20:27
TuFun, your weathering on those green parts look great as well as your work on the rest of the VC. So if possible, could you add your technique on the VC green panels/parts to what I did on this attachment and perhaps throw both of our works into a VC texture update pack including your worn metal seat?(I'd like to get a copy of that seat/texture!) The different types of VC texturing can give a few options to A-26 users for different versions.

(Edit) In my haste, I forgot to say THANK YOU to Milton!

I agree, looking at different cockpits, and our variations on them will make a cool package for the A-26 models. With John modeling the cockpit, may better details will entail.

Did the bezels and the red switches. A draft you might say... I see some textures I want to change. Will look into fading the dials also. Gauges look to new for the effects to look right.

So guys what do you think?

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1221-04-23-01.jpg
Just for fun...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1221-04-23-01-red.jpg

fliger747
May 12th, 2012, 21:09
The ROS Hula gauge animates the hula dancer, a touch by my friend Rich Murray (Real Old Salt) who did the wonderful gauges for this plane.

Roger
May 13th, 2012, 02:10
I like the "worn" look on the panel.

FlameOut
May 13th, 2012, 02:33
Yes, adds a lot of character. :applause:

robcap
May 13th, 2012, 09:38
That's starting to look real nice. I will test the new VC textures later, would be great if you guys combine your work. Nothing is more fun than teamwork!

R.

AussieMan
May 13th, 2012, 11:59
The ROS Hula gauge animates the hula dancer, a touch by my friend Rich Murray (Real Old Salt) who did the wonderful gauges for this plane.

Anyone know what happened to him? Haven't seen him posting here for a long time.

PZL Belfegor
May 13th, 2012, 12:36

Thank you, sounds like fun - do you know, where can I get it, as the ROSTOYS is not included in the SOH A-26 package?

TuFun
May 13th, 2012, 13:08
Something I discovered by accident, messing with layers, created a worn pattern, and instead of green, used black in a few A-26 cockpit photos I've seen. That lasso tool comes in handy. Never used it before. Random pattern for now, just to see how it looks.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1313-50-34-91.jpg

fliger747
May 13th, 2012, 22:22
Real Old Salt, Rich Murray is a fine gentleman and contributed a lot to our pastime. Sadly he had some major family obligations (which I will not relate) as can arrive into our lives, which has taken his time and energy.

Cheers T

AussieMan
May 13th, 2012, 23:32
Thanks Tom ..... good to know he is still around and hope to see him back here one day soon.

TuFun
May 14th, 2012, 01:02
Checked out Chi Chi Jima... fireworks, explosions... nice welcoming party!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-1401-21-01-21.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-1401-31-35-39.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20WW2%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-1401-24-41-75.jpg

johndetrick
May 14th, 2012, 07:57
Should be released in the next day or two. A JD-1 of VU-3.

fliger747
May 14th, 2012, 08:50
Now there's a peaceful soul. flying through flak alley, unarmed....

T

TuFun
May 14th, 2012, 09:18
Now there's a peaceful soul. flying through flak alley, unarmed....

T

With my camera and trusty .45 sidearm... sorta armed! If you haven't checked out the scenery, do so... it's awesome!!! Thanks to Tom Stovall and team!

Firekitten
May 14th, 2012, 14:09
Just an update on the new textures I said I'd do... working through it, got a good handle on the fuselage, updating the excellent originals to remove the fixed shading, adding a higher detail level that can be enhanced by the bumps and alphas, and generally creating a worthy base for future work. All credit to the original authors of the a26 textures obviously, but I'm trying to give them a bit more life now we can take advantage of the higher resolutions.

fsxar177
May 14th, 2012, 16:09
Nice work thus far on that paint John...

Firekitten - Am excited to see your work on the updated textures... Can't wait!

Joseph

Bomber_12th
May 14th, 2012, 20:01
I love the new textures being developed, inside and out, excellent work! I was the one that created the original external texture work (many moons ago), so please don't worry about giving credit to any past person, for those. The internal textures were a combination of my work (the worse looking ones) and Real Old Salt's work (the good looking ones).

I'm sorry for the delay in providing the updated models. I'll try to have them available tomorrow. All that has been updated, at least for the time being, is the VC glass material (so that the glare isn't excessive at night, with the cockpit light on) and the landing lights now project downwards on the ground in front of the aircraft, as they should. I also removed the wingtip lights that were assigned in the model, as with the same lights present in the Aircraft.cfg file, they weren't needed. Although it might very well prolong the wait for updated models, I want to re-map the yoke, yoke control column, and seat, and provide the wire-frames for them, on the texture they will be assigned to, for anyone who is working on cockpit textures for the aircraft, to actually make/detail the textures for those parts. I can do the same, very easily, for the knobs on the center-cockpit trim column.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/land_lights.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/late_night.jpg

gman5250
May 14th, 2012, 20:18
Many thanks to the team at SOH for their hard work on the A-26. I had done quite a bit of work on the original model, concentrating on a metal finish blank model. I also did a version of the "Sugarland Experss". When I heard the new FSX model was going to be available, I couldn't wait. I am now currently putting final touches on a high finish blank texture for the three variants. Please feel free to visit my page and view the preliminary work I have finished. I'll post up the finished textures when finalized.

I can't say enough about the quality of the work that SOH members devoted to this beautiful bird. The new dynamic model is a joy to look at and fly.

TuFun
May 14th, 2012, 20:38
I want to re-map the yoke, yoke control column, and seat, and provide the wire-frames for them, on the texture they will be assigned to, for anyone who is working on cockpit textures for the aircraft, to actually make/detail the textures for those parts. I can do the same, very easily, for the knobs on the center-cockpit trim column.

That would be great John... would like to put some wear on those parts too!

Milton Shupe
May 15th, 2012, 05:14
@John, thank you for taking the time to do that. Greatly needed and appreciated. :applause:

@********, great looking textures there sir ... love the wing look, very metal looking. :applause:

italoc
May 15th, 2012, 06:44
First of all thanks to Milton and to all guys still trying to make her even better, but I have this black heavy smoke at start engine:

It is supposed to be like this or something's wrong with my installation in Windows7+Accel and on Prepar3D. ????

Italo

Firekitten
May 15th, 2012, 10:30
Could be P3d related... its fine with 7 and accel on mine, any experts?

Roger
May 15th, 2012, 12:29
Many thanks to the team at SOH for their hard work on the A-26. I had done quite a bit of work on the original model, concentrating on a metal finish blank model. I also did a version of the "Sugarland Experss". When I heard the new FSX model was going to be available, I couldn't wait. I am now currently putting final touches on a high finish blank texture for the three variants. Please feel free to visit my page and view the preliminary work I have finished. I'll post up the finished textures when finalized.

I can't say enough about the quality of the work that SOH members devoted to this beautiful bird. The new dynamic model is a joy to look at and fly.

I really like the bare metal but I don't see a link to your web page?

PZL Belfegor
May 15th, 2012, 13:17
Thanks for fixing the landing lights! I'm still looking for input on starting the engines manually - can anyone hint how to do it or what to change in aircraft.cfg to enable default starter logic?

gman5250
May 15th, 2012, 14:09
I haven't uploaded yet. I'm still refining some small details in the bump maps and specular files. I'll put up a post once the files are ready. I'd like to beta the files here and get everyone's input.

I really like the bare metal but I don't see a link to your web page?

gman5250
May 16th, 2012, 00:25
[QUOTE=@********, great looking textures there sir ... love the wing look, very metal looking. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the positive feedback sir. I've uploaded two blank textures to the skins page. The B and C models are basic aircraft in high polish finish. Along with those I have uploaded the Sugarland Express texture as well. Looking forward to everyone's feed back and suggestions on these. Thank you Milton and your team for creating such an exquisite model to work with.

sidler
May 16th, 2012, 07:19
Osan, Korea

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/Aeronca/OsanB-26-1.jpg

stovall
May 16th, 2012, 07:21
Thanks for the textures ********, just picked up all three. Great work!! :salute:

fliger747
May 16th, 2012, 10:40
I think that's the hot ordinance ramp, at the far end of the field, the place they send us about half the time....

Cheers T

papab
May 16th, 2012, 11:32
gman,
great repaints
Thank you !

Rick

fliger747
May 16th, 2012, 11:55
Just installed the Sugarland express texture. Mine has a very blury Vert Stab, did miss something or goof up the install?

gman5250
May 16th, 2012, 17:59
Just installed the Sugarland express texture. Mine has a very blury Vert Stab, did miss something or goof up the install?

Is it just the vert stab or horizontal also? I took a look at my art files and tuned up the tail numbers a bit. I'll reload the entire file this evening.
Also, these are 32 bit textures rather than DXT5. I did this for the smoothness in the bump maps, but it can be taxing on a system.

How are your frame rates? Also maybe post up a screen shot of the v/stab and let me take a look.

I'll be posting up a complete DXT5 version for systems that can't handle the 32 bit version. Much more frame rate friendly but quite a loss on resolution. IMHO

Thanks for the input, my goal is to put together art files worthy of the model.

Cheers: G

TuFun
May 16th, 2012, 22:47
Worn cockpit texture set for Milton's A-26 Invader. Includes instrument panel, with out the Camels pack. If you guys want the clean version, no cig, with a new seat texture, let me know.

I've been working on different textures for the seat... will included this in the next zip file. My first cockpit textures I've done so be kind... just wanted to do something for you guys!
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1619-40-59-79.jpg

dvj
May 16th, 2012, 23:04
Worn cockpit texture set for Milton's A-26 Invader. Includes instrument panel, with out the Camels pack. If you guys want the clean version, no cig, with a new seat texture, let me know.

I've been working on different textures for the seat... will included this in the next zip file. My first cockpit textures I've done so be kind... just wanted to do something for you guys!
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/fsx2012-05-1619-40-59-79.jpg

:applause::applause::applause:

falcon409
May 17th, 2012, 04:06
. . . . . .I'll be posting up a complete DXT5 version for systems that can't handle the 32 bit version. Much more frame rate friendly but quite a loss on resolution. IMHO
Cheers: G

Really? I've actually found just the opposite to be true. I've just finished a set of liveries for an aircraft and first reproduced them in 32bit bitmap form, then decided to go with "dds" DXT5, the difference was night and day. The dds (DXT5) was extremely sharp and even producing textures of 4096x4096 was no strain on a 4 year old dual core system.

jankees
May 17th, 2012, 04:56
gman, very nice textures!

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/FX17374.jpg

now before I start slapping paint on them, do you have a layered psd version as well? And if so, are you planning to upload those too?

gman5250
May 17th, 2012, 05:43
Really? I've actually found just the opposite to be true. I've just finished a set of liveries for an aircraft and first reproduced them in 32bit bitmap form, then decided to go with "dds" DXT5, the difference was night and day. The dds (DXT5) was extremely sharp and even producing textures of 4096x4096 was no strain on a 4 year old dual core system.

To be honest I did not see much difference on this particular aircraft between DXT5 and 32 bit. I have experienced what looked like posterizing on a DH Vampire model when I created a black skin. It could be a model specific anomaly. When I post up the DXT5 version of the A-26 it will be 2048X2048. Take a look and compare...let me know what you think.

What I noticed on this particular aircraft was a slight pixelated appearance in the bump reflection on the fuse when I first loaded the original texture. I already had my own bump maps done, so when I loaded those textures the reflections smoothed out. It's interesting in this medium...each project has it's own personality.

Thanks for the input.

Gman

gman5250
May 17th, 2012, 05:46
gman, very nice textures!

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/FX17374.jpg

now before I start slapping paint on them, do you have a layered psd version as well? And if so, are you planning to upload those too?

I will definitely be posting up a layered PSD. That one will be up very shortly.

Gman

lazarus
May 17th, 2012, 06:33
65583I can post again? I CAN post again! Do I want to? Oh, what the heck...
Brilliant job on the FSX conversion, new textures et al. Just DL`d the new interior textures. Great to have the `26 back in FSX. All the light bomber and attack groups in my sim world are in the proces of re-equiping on Invaders. Navy and Marine VB units are standing to on PB1D`s next.
BZ!BZ!BZ!

johndetrick
May 17th, 2012, 06:49
65583I can post again? I CAN post again! Do I want to? Oh, what the heck...
Brilliant job on the FSX conversion, new textures et al. Just DL`d the new interior textures. Great to have the `26 back in FSX. All the light bomber and attack groups in my sim world are in the proces of re-equiping on Invaders. Navy and Marine VB units are standing to on PB1D`s next.
BZ!BZ!BZ!

Maybe P4D-1 would be better. The PB-1 was navy version of the B-17. It's giving me an idea for some fictional repaints. The Corps used the PBJ, so why not use the Invader?

lazarus
May 17th, 2012, 09:49
Maybe P4D-1 would be better. The PB-1 was navy version of the B-17. It's giving me an idea for some fictional repaints. The Corps used the PBJ, so why not use the Invader?

The confusing designtion systems of old... Yes, indeed, the PB-1 was the Navys B-17. There was the Douglas PD flying boat of the late '20's/early '30's. The next Douglas patrol bomber would have then been (maybe) P(patrol) B(level bombing equiped with Norden bomb sight) 1( second model from manufacturer-the first is not numbered under the old system-the PD) D(Douglas). The Gun nosed 'B' model, if utilized, would ommit the reference to the Norden sight, and then should be P1D-1. It could have gotten really hairy if the navy used large numbers of B-17s and differentiated between Boeing(B), Vega(V) and Douglas(D) built models!(PB, PB3V, PB1[or2]D), let alone the re-use of designators( N; for instance, was used as the designator for Naval Aircraft Factory and Northrop, M for Martin and Eastern Aircraft or B for Boeing and for any Norden equipped aircraft.) Properly, the PB-1(If carring a Norden sight) would have been the PBB or PB1B.
The navy's designation system then:
first letter-role. F(fighter)P(Patrol)S(scout)T(torpedo)J(utility)N(t raining)R(transport)W(electronic warefare[radar,ELINT ect])O(observation)D(photo recce)
second letter-supplementary role or mission equipment( OS2U, SBD, TBM, ect)
first number - model
dash number- vairiant . So, for instance , in the Consolidated line of patrol planes we end up with PY, P1Y, P2Y(No bombing role), PBY, PB2Y,PB4Y, PB4Y-1. With loads of exceptions and ambiguity.( PBJ`s were always PBJ`s regardless of solid or glass nose fitiment. SNJ makes no sense at all...)
letter after dash number- modification of variant (F4U-1D) or role specific modification( F4F-5N, PB-1W)
Let alone the erraticly applied V(Heavier than air) or Z(Lighter than air letter) normally seen in unit designators(VF, VT, VP,VD) but also in type designators(Goodyear ZPG-1 patrol blimps) By the mid 1950s I expect the Navys designation system occupied a volume equivilent to the 1950-2012 Hong Kong phone books!
One can see why a new designation system was required in 1962!
Any way.
Lots of potental for whatiferisims. Loads of fun!

TuFun
May 17th, 2012, 09:56
Textures for the knobs and engines. Alternate seat texture.

StormILM
May 17th, 2012, 12:32
TuFun, excellent work! I'm mixing/matching & testing at the moment but the new detailed & worn VC textures really bring the FSX version to life!

FSX68
May 17th, 2012, 14:28

Was this fix suppose to delete the camels, cause I can still see them with you zip files here.

Thanks.

:wavey:

TuFun
May 17th, 2012, 14:39
Was this fix suppose to delete the camels, cause I can still see them with you zip files here.

Thanks.

:wavey:

Yep, in the A-26 interior textures folder... file name is vc01.bmp... copy to your A-26 panel folder. Make a backup of the original vco1.

My first file I ever uploaded, forgot to add a readme file. -TuFun

TuFun
May 17th, 2012, 14:47
TuFun, excellent work! I'm mixing/matching & testing at the moment but the new detailed & worn VC textures really bring the FSX version to life!

Same here... lots of testing. That tiny gray square sure covers a lot of areas. Not only that, certain areas will distort like crazy... a #1 line to #100. Using a grid of lines or dots will show what I mean!

lazarus
May 17th, 2012, 15:14
Leave the Camels! I like a smoke after a bomb run. Ahh; just like back in the day- roll up your sleeves, run some numbers on the slide rule, light up an un-filtered Camel, and crank off a hydrogen bomb...
The new cockpit texs look very nice, thank you! Trying the other bits latter.
BTY. Simviation, FSX misc, Bruce Fitzgeralds 'Bomb C' a 500 lbGP.
Making a co-ordinated attack on a Nipponese convoy with a PT boat section..65611656126561365614

delta_lima
May 17th, 2012, 15:35
Looks good Laz!!

You know ... that scheme ...dirtied up ... Korean War ... VMP-254 configures these for land-based long-range reconnaissance ...If the Tigercat wouldn't have happened ... maybe they might have gone this route ... just saying ...:kilroy:

Love your work, nice to see you active again here!

DL

Cirrus N210MS
May 17th, 2012, 23:46
hey guys i am trying to get the VC Lights to work cant read gauges with no lights any ideas?

lazarus
May 18th, 2012, 00:07
Hey DL. Never left, just one day couldn't post, then it worked again. I'm undecided on active participation anyways after the fire I was drawing a while ago, so I just let it go. Tinkering with a few navy and marine paints. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm getting bleed out with the blues when saving. I suppose there is a fix in a thread somewhere, but its more amusing to hack away at it on my own terms. All in good time!

Cirrus N210MS
May 18th, 2012, 00:48
does anyone know where i can find more paints for this plane can you please post some links thank you :salute:

Cirrus N210MS
May 18th, 2012, 08:23
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/CirrusN210MS/N210MSA26.jpg?t=1337358124

dvj
May 18th, 2012, 08:42
Loving this model.

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/995czst_7.jpg

Cirrus N210MS
May 18th, 2012, 08:43
found handy gauge on avsim.com for A26 makes taxing much easyer!!!

DC-3 Taxi throttle Control

This package offers a modification to the "hard to steer" Douglas DC-3. The DC-3 relies on differential braking and power to taxi properly. This package is for those pilots without dual throttle controls. It uses the rudder deflection to apply proportional differential power under the appropriate circumstances. Documentation is included. It will work with the Default Microsoft DC-3, the C-47 by Beaumont & Bitzer (shown), or other twin engine tail draggers that are hard to steer.

Filename: taxi_throttles.zip License: Freeware, limited distribution Added: 4th June 2010 Downloads: 1363 Author: Ken Austin and Dave Bitzer Size: 3kb

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=149412

Cirrus N210MS
May 18th, 2012, 09:58
3t0IwbOsgj4

falcon409
May 18th, 2012, 11:11
hey guys i am trying to get the VC Lights to work cant read gauges with no lights any ideas?
Ditto here. The switches don't really give me anything, however if I use the "L" key I do get a bright light in the cockpit that almost obscures night vision outside the cockpit. So the questions are. . .is that what we have to work with?. . . .did the switches ever work correctly?. . . .was there a mod that we aren't privy to?. . . .there's probably another one, I just can't come up with one right now.

Cirrus N210MS
May 18th, 2012, 12:33
i Hit L All i get is Two Useless Landing Lights which does not beam Light and a Dark VC

Bomber_12th
May 18th, 2012, 12:39
It's not much, but here is a link to download updated model files. The only updates are to the landing lights, VC glass (cutting down on the glare at night from the VC light), the removale of the wingtip modeled lights (since they are already present in the Aircraft.cfg file), and a couple of small parts in the VC, which were over-looked material-wise, are now assigned to the proper materials/textures they should be.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?4nxvj0kym4vml9c

Cirrus N210MS
May 18th, 2012, 12:48
Thank You Bomber you fixed it :salute:

Roger
May 18th, 2012, 13:15
It's not much, but here is a link to download updated model files. The only updates are to the landing lights, VC glass (cutting down on the glare at night from the VC light), the removale of the wingtip modeled lights (since they are already present in the Aircraft.cfg file), and a couple of small parts in the VC, which were over-looked material-wise, are now assigned to the proper materials/textures they should be.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?4nxvj0kym4vml9c

Thanks John:applause:

kilo delta
May 18th, 2012, 13:48
Thanks to the whole development crew for providing this aircraft for FSX. :applause:

Here's a video clip that us virtual A-26 pilots may find interesting

Uxj2Ugfm7Vs

stovall
May 18th, 2012, 13:48
Everyone's work on the A-26 is greatly appreciated. One great aircraft.

Milton Shupe
May 18th, 2012, 14:23
Panel and gauge backlighting work fine here.

Leave Panel lights off except for preflight duties.

Turn on INST Lights, then turn up the Dimmer switch as shown in the attached.

EDIT: My apologies. What I showed was the 2D panel. Although the VC lighting does work using the same procedure, it is very faint.
I know that the vc backlighting works differently in native FSX models, but maybe a simple brightening of the vc01_L.bmp in the texture folder would help somewhat.
If push comes to shove, use the 2D panel at night. :-)

EDIT 2: Well, I tried changing the vc01_L.bmp to pure white for the best brightness and it only improved a bit. Gauges can be read once your eyes adjust. The only way to do this right is to change the interior model I'm afraid.

Bomber_12th
May 18th, 2012, 14:44
Some recent shots:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/a26c_1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/a26c_2.jpg

Milton Shupe
May 18th, 2012, 14:47
Now THAT is AWESOME John :-) :medals:

dvj
May 18th, 2012, 15:13
Now THAT is AWESOME John :-) :medals:

That polish is insane!

TuFun
May 18th, 2012, 16:45
Applied John's bump and ******** spec mapping... insane metal works!!!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-1817-23-02-63.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/TFF%20Birds/fsx2012-05-1817-31-21-88.jpg

gman5250
May 18th, 2012, 17:08
I've uploaded my metal skins PSD layered files. Also texture files for Model C. Everyone knock yourselves out and have fun with these.

Thank you Milton, John and the rest of the SOH members who have done such a magnificent job updating this aircraft. As a new member I hope that my small contribution will bring as much enjoyment to those lucky enough to "own" this aircraft as it has brought to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's own creations.

Please feel free to contact me via my page for any suggestions, questions or tips. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Gman :salute:

skyhawka4m
May 18th, 2012, 20:05
thanks to all who have helped on this conversion.......

Cirrus N210MS
May 18th, 2012, 21:55
will upload this repaint soon

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/CirrusN210MS/A26TAW.jpg?t=1337406853

lazarus
May 18th, 2012, 23:24
:applause::applause::applause:Incredible, just smashing. Those metal skins a work of art!
The A-26 is the only Second World War Bomber that I ever got any stick time in, and it holds a special place in my heart, even though the damned thing had a pucker factor of 9.99 on the 'ol sphincterometer, watching the end of the strip in Loon River rushing up, fat and heavy on a 30deg day, working the yoke like the oars in a racing shell, praying for lift, then sweating through the engine out dead zone untill I was sure she'd stay flying.
The -26's were a real mecca for some of the craziest hillbilly pilots and Engineers I ever worked with , too. Great guys,the best; even with the two fisted hell raising and sometimes heartbreaking casualty rate(for a civvie show) that went went with living and working that crew and the -26. Wouldn't have missed it for any thing, and I'd never do it again.
So a huge thank you to all involved. The model looks fantastic, and flys pretty much like the actual 'plane. Its just about as close to strapping an -26 to your butt as you can get in a simulation flight model wise, albeit with out the smoke, oil, drafts, sweat, bugs, deafened earholes, raw terror and old airplane smell.

TuFun
May 19th, 2012, 08:16
Man... I'm having a fantastic time with this bird and the awesome teamwork putting Milton's & SOH TEAM aircraft into this level of realism!!! Congrads to all involved!!! :salute:

A short flic flying thru some wicked weather... I was going to whistle Pete's (Dreyfuss) little tune from "Always", nerves you know! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdI5MjPLb4g

Henry
May 19th, 2012, 08:52
Unfortunately I never kept the source files for that one.you are so in trouble:ipepsi2:but thank you!
H:ernae:

TuFun
May 20th, 2012, 12:15
One of my favorite airplane movies... "Always"!!! Since Milton's A-26 has been refitted with some nice upgrades (FSX native), it's time to do some painting.

CG model of an A-26 Fire Eaters, similar to the one Pete flew in Always.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/AlwaysA-26model-1.jpg

Plastic model kit of Ali's Fire Eater PBY.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/AlwaysPBY9-1.jpg

Did a quick little clip, exploring different angles. The A-26 bay doors where open, but FSRecorder didn't pick that up in the playback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1zuogAMJuQ

Sieggie
May 20th, 2012, 13:06
When I load any of the new textures like Sugarland or any or the bare metal finishes, I get a silver body but dark, almost black wings and tail. Anyone have any idea what would be causing this?

Dave

fliger747
May 20th, 2012, 13:24
In the above A26 the blades are pitched backwards on #2 engine?

T

Bruce Thompson
May 20th, 2012, 13:25
When I load any of the new textures like Sugarland or any or the bare metal finishes, I get a silver body but dark, almost black wings and tail. Anyone have any idea what would be causing this?

Dave

I'm having the same problem with darker wings and tailfin.

Bruce.

dougal
May 20th, 2012, 14:02

T

You need to out more my friend:jump:

StormILM
May 20th, 2012, 15:22
I'm having the same problem with darker wings and tailfin.

Bruce.

Same here.

TuFun
May 20th, 2012, 15:36

T

It does look backwards, it's a CG model I found looking for Fire Eaters paint schemes and the PBY is a plastic model kit.

Milton Shupe
May 20th, 2012, 15:52
It appears that the shadows are on top of the surfaces and not on the underside as well on this scheme only.

No problems with other models or paint schemes that I can see.

skyhawka4m
May 20th, 2012, 17:06
make sure you have the SPEC textures in your texture files. I found that some were missing and it fixed mine.

Bomber_12th
May 20th, 2012, 17:47
I don't have spec maps assigned in the materials for the models (as I figured there would be too many textures being used), so there shouldn't be any spec maps present/being used at all. If spec maps are made and are put into the texture folders, they shouldn't have any effect on the model/textures (unless somehow FSX automatically calls on texture files with "Spec" in the title, even if they aren't assigned in the materials? That would be a new one on me!).

Not having the bump maps in the texture folders will give you the "shadows on top" look. This also means if the bump maps aren't made, saved, or named properly, they won't be loaded. I'd suggest trying to copy/paste over the bump maps from the files I provided, and see if that cures any of the issues you may see within some of the repaints.

gman5250
May 20th, 2012, 18:47
It appears that the shadows are on top of the surfaces and not on the underside as well on this scheme only.

No problems with other models or paint schemes that I can see.

I beta tested the textures at a number of different settings in FSX and saw no anomalies. I'll look into this and see if I can provide helpful info. In the meantime get me more specific info on your setups if you would be so kind. Feel free to message at my page.

I'll hazard a guess and work on the assumption that this is system specific.
All the textures worked on the original model and were updated for John's FSX version. I've also added all of the most current updates to my working models and show no problems. I have had occasional similar display problems with other aircraft that had to do with the FSX clock not extrapolating the time of day and light angles correctly.

Double Check:
Install the most current updates to the model.
Turn off DirectX preview (I get chrome wheels with it on)
Remove the texture.cfg file contained in the actual texture.sugarland folder. The fall backs may be causing your system to interpret conflicting data.

In the meantime, I will create and post DXT5 files and see if you have the same display issues. My originals are admittedly high memory. I did this because I felt that the model would display best with these settings, but they do require a lot from your system. The DXT will be more user friendly.

Gordon

Milton Shupe
May 20th, 2012, 19:00
The issue has been corrected per John's advice. The Sugarland textures were missing some bump maps for me, so I just copied them from John's textures. It had some spec textures and some bump textures but not all of either. Probably my issue.

gman5250
May 20th, 2012, 19:36
I think I have resolved the issue.

Originally I had fall backs to a common texture folder in my system. Two of the bump maps were in that folder and not the sugarland.texture. I've removed the texture.cfg file and placed all of the required bump maps into the sugarland.texture folder and as of the time of this post I am re-loading the file.
I suppose that's why they call it beta. My sincere apologies for missing this detail.

The bump maps in my textures are slightly different than John's. I actually created them prior to the release of the FSX model. I have put a few wrinkles in the skins here and there to create a not so perfect look.

Please keep me updated with any feedback you have on the files.

Gordon

Milton Shupe
May 21st, 2012, 04:28
Thanks for you efforts Gordon. I look forward to the replacement files. :applause:

johndetrick
May 21st, 2012, 06:25
Here are some screenshots of a what if the USMC had acquired the A-26 instead of the PBJ. So here's the PBD-1 in a generic VMB squadron markings circa 1944.

johndetrick
May 21st, 2012, 06:26
And here's the PBD-1 in Korean war markings with VMC-1 circa 1951.

FSX68
May 21st, 2012, 06:54
Just a request for any of the talented painters out there if a repaint of the A 26 in a Viet-nam era camo design coud be done.
Not sure what Military outfits were using them back then in Nam nor what the markings were but I have seen pictures of them
painted in Camo colors.

Thanks

:kilroy:

VCN-1
May 21st, 2012, 07:13
Just a request for any of the talented painters out there if a repaint of the A 26 in a Viet-nam era camo design coud be done.
Not sure what Military outfits were using them back then in Nam nor what the markings were but I have seen pictures of them
painted in Camo colors.

Thanks

:kilroy:

There were 2 or 3 SEA versions when the K model was released.

I don't know if they would fit the converted models.

I am sure they are floating around somewhere.

I hope some one finds a copy of the A26K source files so it could be converted to FSX.

VCN-1

Milton Shupe
May 21st, 2012, 08:11
There were 2 or 3 SEA versions when the K model was released.

I don't know if they would fit the converted models.

I am sure they are floating around somewhere.

I hope some one finds a copy of the A26K source files so it could be converted to FSX.

VCN-1

Just for clarification, I never had Bomber_12th's B26K gmax source so if he does not have it, it will not likely be found. :kilroy:

Bomber_12th
May 21st, 2012, 08:12
The A-26A/B-26K textures might work relatively okay, but the A-26A/B-26K models have a larger vertical tail, wingtip tanks, and different cowls, so they might not display very well in those areas. The textures actually were re-done, quite a bit, in order to accurately portray all of the various modifications. I have been considering re-making the A-26A/B-26K again. I originally made them from Milton's source files, and unfortunately, with me not having them any longer, no one else is going to have them either, so the only option is to rebuild it again. It was one of my first intros into aircraft model development, just modding Milton's work, and adding a few basics parts here and there, so it isn't like it would take much to do again. The only real problem comes down to the fact that the pilot models were made by Jan Visser (both for the original-released A-26 models, as well as separate pilot models that he made just for the A-26A/B-26K work alone), so hopefully Jan still has those, otherwise it would make it a bit harder to fully recreate. Otherwise, the bennefit is that the original model files and the textures are still present/available, so I can re-build the parts to match the original model and the original textures.

While looking through some old screenshots this morning, trying to find something else, I came across these again, taken back in early 2007 I believe.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/wheelhubs2jj3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/wheelhubsru4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/b26kuk5ei1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/b26kuk4as4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/b26kuk3yr6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/cockpitlightingwl7.jpg

Bomber_12th
May 21st, 2012, 08:20
I also couldn't help but post this one up, one of the earliest screenshots I could find still, from the original development work on the SOH A-26, in 2006. This was one of the first texture/mapping trials, getting the panel lines laid out, and seeing how the mapping looked.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/invaderpaint7ws.jpg

And a water-bombing screenshot of mine that I also found, way back from around 2006. I don't know specifically what effect this was., but I remember it looking quite convincing in the sim (FS2004), even though I obviously didn't have the effect positioned very well to the aircraft. : )

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/tanker24yw3.jpg

Milton Shupe
May 21st, 2012, 08:25
John, it would be so greatly appreciated, as you know, if you had time to do the B26K. We also greatly appreciate your time invested in reinvigorating these models. Just awesome! :applause:

VCN-1
May 21st, 2012, 08:59
Those screen shots of the K model are fantastic.

VCN-1

FSX68
May 21st, 2012, 10:08
John,

Those camo paints look great. I know it's not ready for FSX but it looks awsome just the same.
You did bring to light some interesting info on the creation of the A/B 26 models with respect to those
involved with the camo paints. I/we really appreciate your hard work and attention to detail in your endeavors to do these conversions for FSX. And to the others that have provided those "tweaks"
to the A26. I/we thank you as well......

BTW, The camels cigs in the pilot's panel cubby hole compartment are optional...LOL.... :icon_lol:
( I Quit a loooong time ago. )

gman5250
May 21st, 2012, 15:56
Sorry for the delay posting repaired files...it was yet another Windows7 SNAFU courtesy of Mr Gates. I often ask the question...Would you fly on a 747 built by Microsoft. I have never received a response in the affirmative.

Moving on....I have uploaded a much refined, complete textures file for A-26 Invader both B & C models. I have economized the files for better load and display. I have resolved the missing bump map issues and included a new shared textures file along with appropriate code. I've designed the files so that the end user can load both John's new textures and mine with no conflicts in the fall backs.
I have no additional input on Johns previous question about FSX utilizing specular files that were not included in the original model. I left the spec files in the revision just in the event that they do function independently, or may at some future date.

Sugarland Express is still included with code for B and C models. That is a unique aircraft in that it has nose guns but no turrets, a result of the re-fited trainer to resemble WWII variant. As there is not a model in that configuration I thought I'd just include code for the best available. Also the windows aft of the wing chord in the flying model are hideous and better off forgotten. IMHO

As the new file covers all existing models (except K) I have removed the previous single variation files from the site. The only files remaining are the new revised version and the PSD layer mods file I previously uploaded.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions...they are greatly appreciated. Although I have been a digital graphics artist for quite a few years, this is a relatively new medium for me and I have a lot to learn from the more wise.

Gordon

mal998
May 22nd, 2012, 04:15
Bomber,
Your cockpit textures look terrific. Any chance of getting a set of your textures? Would be much appreciated. :cool:

Cirrus N210MS
May 22nd, 2012, 08:51
look at this A26 Mod Looks kind of cool

Mark Marketeer (A-26/B-26) aircraft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4meDRsqgM&feature=related

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/9/2/1940291.jpg

fsxar177
May 22nd, 2012, 10:24
Another interesting configuration, that is similar, was raced once by Lloyd Hamilton. See below!

Joseph

Bomber_12th
May 22nd, 2012, 10:38
In regards to the A-26A/B-26K screenshots I posted, those are from way back in 2007, when that project was put together. For the cockpit, I basically copied over the seat, control yoke, and rudder pedals from the one side, over to the other (and evidently re-mapped/textured the control yokes and columns). I re-made the instrument panel into a two-place panel, and working with "Real Old Salt" (who made the gauges, the instrument panel, and some of the textures for the original release), some new gauges were developed for it. I also added some basic seat cushions to the seat frames.

My plan for re-visiting the A-26A/B-26K, is just to recreate the model that was, now for FSX, and re-package it with the same textures/panel/gauges as originally (with new prop, glass, and bump map textures). It's not very hard to just look at the original, existing model in the sim, and copy it (especially as the changes/additions that I did make to Milton's work to make the A-26A/B-26K weren't very complicated, lol - it was one of my very first introductions to aircraft model development).

BTW, "Real Old Salt" also made a Lockeed Air Service Super-26 using Milton's source files (a bit similar to those conversions above), back in 2007, for FS2004, which can be found here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=9538

Also, here is an alternative set of gauges for the original A-26 models that doesn't have Real Old Salt's avatar in the gauge reflections, that Real Old Salt provided, which can be installed/used if desired: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=8747

fsxar177
May 22nd, 2012, 11:02
John,
Your strategy around the updated model sounds great. Any chance of re-visiting that long-nose idea?

Okay, we're all being to picky!!! We're just taking time away from the next fabulous release of a Warbirdsim product. Really looking forward to the '39...and I mean REALLY.

Joseph

alain0568
May 22nd, 2012, 11:27
Hello,

-My B-26K virtual pit:

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/11/39/89/45/b26k_p10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=1079&u=11398945)

Alain

-

Bomber_12th
May 22nd, 2012, 11:28
Some screenshots of Real Old Salt's LAS-26 in FSX, as linked to above (with new prop textures).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/las_26_1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/las_26_2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/las_26_3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/las_26_4.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/Sea%20Fury/las_26_5.jpg

TuFun
May 22nd, 2012, 20:45
Hey John thanks for the link to revised gauges... no ghost. He sure liked his Camels!

delta_lima
May 22nd, 2012, 21:23
Thanks Laz and John D - some great repaints there!!

DL

TuFun
May 23rd, 2012, 22:19
Pete and Ali are back at it... lucky I didn't have to paint the PBY. Painted Pete's A-26 from a few photos I found... still need some minor fixes. Both planes are not the proper models. The PBY engine fire effects are awesome! Would like to do that scene where Pete dives at Ali's PBY and drop retardant on the flaming engine. For some reason when I flip the A-26 bay switch... nothing happens, light will come on but the doors remain closed.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2322-05-21-88.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2322-11-43-31.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2321-51-14-50.jpg

airattackimages
May 24th, 2012, 05:43
Awesome!

heywooood
May 24th, 2012, 07:29
Pete and Ali are back at it... lucky I didn't have to paint the PBY. Painted Pete's A-26 from a few photos I found... still need some minor fixes. Both planes are not the proper models. The PBY engine fire effects are awesome! Would like to do that scene where Pete dives at Ali's PBY and drop retardant on the flaming engine. For some reason when I flip the A-26 bay switch... nothing happens, light will come on but the doors remain closed.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2322-05-21-88.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2322-11-43-31.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2321-51-14-50.jpg

For the A-26 bombay doors - press the forward slash '/' key....or whatever you have mapped to the 'air brake'

Real nice screen captures BtW...

TuFun
May 24th, 2012, 09:31
For the A-26 bombay doors - press the forward slash '/' key....or whatever you have mapped to the 'air brake'

Real nice screen captures BtW...

Thanks... works perfectly!

Bruce Thompson
May 24th, 2012, 09:52
Hi TuFun,
Will your Fire Eaters paint be available here at Soh?

Regards
Bruce.

TuFun
May 24th, 2012, 10:02
Hi TuFun,
Will your Fire Eaters paint be available here at Soh?

Regards
Bruce.

You bet Bruce, after a little more research and some fixes need.

The PBY Fire Eater is in the SOH library. Upload by: yago9

Link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=14122

Bruce Thompson
May 24th, 2012, 14:25
You bet Bruce, after a little more research and some fixes need.

The PBY Fire Eater is in the SOH library. Upload by: yago9

Link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=14122

Thanks TuFun, I already got the PBY paint by yago9, he did a great job on that.:applause::applause:
I am looking forward to your paint to complete the pair, it was a great movie and I think I have it on DVD so I will watch it again.

Cheers

Bruce

TuFun
May 24th, 2012, 14:56
Thanks TuFun, I already got the PBY paint by yago9, he did a great job on that.:applause::applause:
I am looking forward to your paint to complete the pair, it was a great movie and I think I have it on DVD so I will watch it again.

Cheers

Bruce

Same here Bruce... "Always" DVD will be playing shortly also! I'm thinking of reenactment of some of the flights in "Always" in a TFF video. Especially the part that Ali's engine fire, with Pete diving over Ali's PBY dropping retardant on that engine. Check out the pics, cockpit shots like these will be important in the video!

Now that I can finally do some descent repaints... what better first serious example for me to do than Pete's Fire Eater! Now I need to fade the colors and fix a few things. -Ted "TFF"

For now a few more pics...

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2409-56-36-62.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2409-58-33-68.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2409-59-41-98.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2410-01-02-54.jpg

Bruce Thompson
May 25th, 2012, 05:18
Those are great shots Tufun, I look forward to your Video, all that I have seen up to now have been wonderful to watch.

You must have a good pooter system to produced them to such a high standard.

Bruce.

Firekitten
May 25th, 2012, 08:21
The new base textures are progressing... tail surfaces are done, nacelles, now its the turn of the cowlings, slow progress, but its coming along... need to flip some lines for shadow, and add some contouring, but its getting there... wanted to give the cowls a higher detail level as its VC visible...

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm365/rosefern_album/cowlinga26.jpg

fsxar177
May 25th, 2012, 08:38
Looks fantastic Rachael, keep it up!

Joseph

TuFun
May 25th, 2012, 13:16
Looking good Rachael! I've been digging for photos for the same improvements myself. Here's what you see from the seat.

No exhaust residue, so can see more detail, but the paint maybe hiding some of that too. You can change the contrast to see a little bit more.

66114 66115 66116

Firekitten
May 25th, 2012, 14:27
yeah the paint is fairly thick there... a primer and two coats over most of it... the base and upper, its obscuring the finer detail. I based mine on a polished example, but the exhaust detail is perfect, thanks for posting those, I'll use that as a reference for the gill detail.
When the textures are done, a lot of it will only show in the bump maps, but there are deeper patches that will show through the paint... That's the trick, the right blend of 'detail' vs huge obvious rivets. Its why the finished textures I'll give to John/ post here, will be single layer, to be painted the none paint kit way, which will give the desired finish... (call me old fashioned, but I learned to paint without kits, and wouldn't know how to make a kit if I tried)

Will post up more shots of the aircraft by mid week...

will be producing the base white aircraft... a bare metal version, (with corresponding alphas,) and a painters 'kit' including flat textures, and alphas exported for editing (with an example layer for exclusions)

What do people want? PSD, or XCF? I'm making them in xcf, but figured I'd convert if most don't use GIMP...

(Really loving this community spirit... something I thought dead in fs these days... rock on folks),

fsxar177
May 25th, 2012, 14:43
Rachael,
I would prefer the .psd, though I can convert if not. It's going to be great fun turning out some new FSX skins for this bird.

Joseph

AussieMan
May 25th, 2012, 16:21
Ii mostly use Paint Shop Pro so PSP files are suitable for me.

Milton Shupe
May 25th, 2012, 16:25
Attached are some pictures that might help with some details.

Sundog
May 25th, 2012, 17:15
Is it possible to update the props on the LAS-26 using the model editor tool? Or do you have to have the source files to fix the prop problem?

Milton Shupe
May 25th, 2012, 20:45
Is it possible to update the props on the LAS-26 using the model editor tool? Or do you have to have the source files to fix the prop problem?

What is the prop problem?

Sundog
May 25th, 2012, 21:54
The props disappear in clouds and mask the terrain, but not autogen, and you can't see through the props (They're opaque) from the cockpit. This is just for the LAS-26. The updated A-26's work fine for me.

Firekitten
May 26th, 2012, 01:59
Thanks Milton!

Okies, I'll do them in psd... psp, gimp, and photoshop should all read PSD.... I can't create PSP files with gimp anyway... so its going to have to be a middle ground.

gman5250
May 27th, 2012, 01:07
I've also been working on cowl details on a clean model with no oil or exhaust. I've got a rough model, but working on rivet details for cowl and nacelle. I've got files for anyone who wants to beta. Anyone with detail photos...I could use reference material. I'm also working on enhanced bump mapping with appropriate deformations in the skin. I've got a few more pics of the "clean" aircraft on my page. Thank you Milton for the detail photos you posted...this aircraft is coming along beautifully with everyone's contributions.

Gordon

heywooood
May 29th, 2012, 12:47
I've also been working on cowl details on a clean model with no oil or exhaust. I've got a rough model, but working on rivet details for cowl and nacelle. I've got files for anyone who wants to beta. Anyone with detail photos...I could use reference material. I'm also working on enhanced bump mapping with appropriate deformations in the skin. I've got a few more pics of the "clean" aircraft on my page. Thank you Milton for the detail photos you posted...this aircraft is coming along beautifully with everyone's contributions.

Gordon
just a bump....curious as I am to see these cowl textures and details possibly made available:kilroy:

gman5250
May 29th, 2012, 21:39
just a bump....curious as I am to see these cowl textures and details possibly made available:kilroy:

I've updated my previous skins with the new cowl details and made some corrections in the anti-glare panels for the blank and Sugarland Express models. I've also added a separate skins package with a dull aluminum finish.

Douglas A-26B & C Blank Metal Finish Pack.zip includes the updates for the high polish model.
Douglas A-26 All Models (except K) Dull Aluminum Finish is the new version. This one is ready for color work. It has a very subtle alpha that will not "shine" when displaying matte finishes used in WWII service aircraft. The weathering and oil/exhaust patterns are subtle on this model.

I'm working on more rivet and panel detail on the nacelles now. The bump mapping will show the subtle deformations around the rivets. I'll post as I get farther along with these mods.

G

DaveQ
May 30th, 2012, 00:10
These are great textures, ********. Are you going to publish a layered paint kit separately? I've been away a while working on the AS RA-5C and I was wondering if specular shine mapping has been added to the model yet.

DaveQ

alain0568
May 30th, 2012, 04:01
Hello,

-Thank you very much, ********!:applause::applause::applause:
very nice rendering of the textures

Alain

-

Bruce Thompson
May 30th, 2012, 06:32
Thank you ********, for the great work on the textures.:applause::applause::applause:

gman5250
May 30th, 2012, 09:07
These are great textures, ********. Are you going to publish a layered paint kit separately? I've been away a while working on the AS RA-5C and I was wondering if specular shine mapping has been added to the model yet.

DaveQ

I have posted up a PSD layered paint kit, however it needs updating with the new mods on the nacelles and cowling details. Give me a couple days to refine the nacelle bump mapping (still looking for detail photos of nacelles for rivet patterns etc.) and I will post up the new PSD files.
I have included spec maps in the PSD kit and the skin texture files. John brought up the question about ambient spec mapping when not enabled in the model. In my experience the spec maps do work with the model but not in the same way as when enabled. Long story short....I have left them in.

Thanks so much for the positive feedback. This is a great model, even better than many payware aircraft, which is why I felt it deserved the work. All credit goes to Milton Shupe and John Terrell for their great modeling and decision to convert to FSX

I'm just a guy who has been slingin' an airbrush since I was seven years old. I started on plastic and R/C models and never really gave it up. The transition to digital was inevitable.

G

P.S. I can't wait to see the Grumman F7F-300 finished for FSX...It's always been one of my favorites. I'd love to take that project on.

delta_lima
May 30th, 2012, 23:34
Gordon,

Installed these latest textures and they really look nice! Bravo!

Now that F7F .... that's :ichile: ! I too look forward to that bird in FSX. Fly the ported version, and it looks good now - can only imagine a native one - with your paints!

Thanks again,

DaveQ
May 31st, 2012, 03:26
I have posted up a PSD layered paint kit, however it needs updating with the new mods on the nacelles and cowling details. Give me a couple days to refine the nacelle bump mapping (still looking for detail photos of nacelles for rivet patterns etc.) and I will post up the new PSD files.
I have included spec maps in the PSD kit and the skin texture files. John brought up the question about ambient spec mapping when not enabled in the model. In my experience the spec maps do work with the model but not in the same way as when enabled. Long story short....I have left them in.

Thanks for your reply gman - I'll have a play!

TuFun
May 31st, 2012, 11:31
Fire Eater Tanker 59 paint job for the movie I'm working on. After watching the movie "Always" I need to make some changes. No paint on the control surfaces except the tail in the movie. Also, the Fire Eater decal is located near the canopy in the movie, not like the actual aircraft. Pete's flew aircraft #57.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-2521-15-10-50.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-3111-18-14-18.jpghttp://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-3111-19-22-81.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-3111-23-55-51.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/FSX%20Commercial%20Aviation/fsx2012-05-3111-58-43-44.jpg

Bruce Thompson
May 31st, 2012, 11:40
Woooow! thats looking great Tufun, I am realy looking forward to this paint scheme.

:jump:Regards

Bruce.

p.s. I just watched it again also, great movie.

TuFun
May 31st, 2012, 12:10
Woooow! thats looking great Tufun, I am realy looking forward to this paint scheme.

:jump:Regards

Bruce.

p.s. I just watched it again also, great movie.

Same here, looking closely at the flight and paints on the aircraft in the movie. Trying to find that patch on the bomber jacket they were wearing also.

roger-wilco-66
June 1st, 2012, 05:41
Excellent job, Tufun, and great detailing!