PDA

View Full Version : RA-5C Vigilante

expat
May 7th, 2012, 03:47
Keep going back to this old favorite . .

gecko65
May 7th, 2012, 09:54
There is definitely something about the lines on that plane - it's one of my favorites as well :ernae:

flyingbrian
May 7th, 2012, 18:38
I have a different RA-5C, but it really is a joy to fly.
-Brian

Cag40Navy
May 7th, 2012, 19:22
What RA-5's are there for FS?

andersel
May 7th, 2012, 19:43
The one I fly when I get that Vigilante urge is Obio's rebuild/mod of the Alphasim bird. It's in the FS2004 aircraft library.

LA

fsafranek
May 7th, 2012, 21:07
What RA-5's are there for FS?
Three that I'm aware of. A freeware version by Kazunori Ito and another by Massimo Altieri. And the now freeware one by Michael Davies/Alphasim.

OBIO did a lot of work on the Alphasim one here are Sim-Outhouse. I've just sent OBIO's model and texture masters to Antonio Diaz (lots of E-2C and S-3B repaints recently) to have a look at so we may be seeing some new RA-5C texture sets coming out. I did a search for "vigilante" at Simviation.com (http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1&keywords=vigilante&categoryId=&page=0&filename=) and found examples (originals/updates/repaints) of all three versions.
:ernae:

expat
May 8th, 2012, 02:52
The screenies at the top are of OBIO's repaint and re-worked model (with a few embellishments from me), based on the Alphasim Viggie, originally I believe an FS2002 model which still looks the business today IMHO. :salute:

expat
May 8th, 2012, 03:12
Some very nicely done artwork and examples of paint schemes here: http://www.markstyling.com/ra-5c.01.htm

papab
May 8th, 2012, 03:12
Really is a lovely bird-gear up, cleaned up passing over the Forrestal as we did a re-spot after launch-going vertical,full burner-till it was out of sight!

I was in RVAH-9 (Hoot Owls) from 1970-74, Jet mechanic...had to climb those intake ducts after every trap to check for FOD damage
Ahh, the smell of kerosene exhaust in the morning........better then a cup of coffee!

Are there any more HEAVY members out there?

Rick

Navy Chief
May 8th, 2012, 06:24
Rick, I was a Heavy "wannabe". When stationed at Pax River in the early 70s, I put in for a transfer to one of the RVAH squadrons. I think it was one at Key West..can't recall. The transfer would have meant a guy with that squadron would have swapped duty stations with me.

But what happened was my unit at Pax River did some checking on my replacement. Turned out he was a real dirt bag, so they nixed my transfer request. That's the closest I ever got to a heavy squadron.

We did, however, have two Viggies at Pax when I was there. Helped work on them a couple times.

The Viggie, in my opinion, was one of the most beautiful jets the USN had in it's inventory, ever. Sleek, powerful, and a joy to watch fly overhead....

NC

expat
May 8th, 2012, 07:03
Hooters!

papab
May 8th, 2012, 12:00
Expat-Great repaint!

She was a sweet bird and great to work on......

Rick

papab
May 8th, 2012, 12:08
Rick, I was a Heavy "wannabe". When stationed at Pax River in the early 70s, I put in for a transfer to one of the RVAH squadrons. I think it was one at Key West..can't recall. The transfer would have meant a guy with that squadron would have swapped duty stations with me.

But what happened was my unit at Pax River did some checking on my replacement. Turned out he was a real dirt bag, so they nixed my transfer request. That's the closest I ever got to a heavy squadron.

We did, however, have two Viggies at Pax when I was there. Helped work on them a couple times.

The Viggie, in my opinion, was one of the most beautiful jets the USN had in it's inventory, ever. Sleek, powerful, and a joy to watch fly overhead....

NC

The Vigilante Squadrons moved in Jan 1974 from NAS Albany, GA to NAS Key West....got two weeks basket leave on the move!

And before they converted her to recon and added extra fuel tanks and the recc canoe on her belly, she was to drop Nukes out of the bomb bay between the engines
The tail cone was to pop open and act as fins on the way down-

Out at Fallon one time, we had an Air Force Pilot on a three month cross training( A. J. Showers was his name)

After we completed this part of our carrier qual training, on departing ,A.J. held her on the deck at about 200 feet in full burner for what seemed like a 30 seconds, pulled the stick back to go vertical and at the same time pulled the fuel dump handle(dump tube comes out below the port engine). He flew out of sight with at least 200 feet of buring fuel trailing behind him....

What a show!

Rick

expat
May 8th, 2012, 12:55
Get the AB to work from the throttles, play around with the lights (I had to switch the red beacons to "#2 " strobes for the them to work right), get some heavyish smoke going and then top it off with this fairly ancient sound file by Eric Cantu and listen to the almighty howl of those J-79's !!! :jump:

<TBODY>

<CENTER>FS2002 - FS2002 Sound</CENTER><CENTER>FS2002 Sound--Lockheed F-104
</CENTER><CENTER>[ Download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?108-Copyright&fid=57680) | View (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?113-Zip-View&cm=list&fid=57680) ] </CENTER>
Name: lf104snd.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?108-Copyright&fid=57680)
Size: 3,682,163 Date: 01-25-2003 Downloads: 6,585

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fscfiles/i/lf104snd.gif
FS2002 Sound--Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. Here's your chance to hear what the infamous missile with a man in it sounded like. Includes full suite of startup and shutdown sounds, including noise of start cart. Recorded from real recordings of an F104 Star Fighter equipped with the J79. By Erick Cantu.

<CENTER>
</CENTER>

</TBODY>

expat
May 10th, 2012, 06:48
Just to show how one can have fun modding an older model like this, I have installed the "realistic HUD" by Scott Printz and Jivko Rusev
on the RA-5C (the Viggie IRL had one of the very early such displays).

This one is cool in that the "9.6 TCN" reading is the actual distance between the plane and the Javier Nimitz (9.6 miles off shore) and the green mark highlighted with the red arrow is the bearing to fly to rendevous with the CV. Last, the green arrow in the red box is the direction the CV is heading. This is all very useful and fun to have when trying to find a moving carrier in the dark or bad weather. Better still you can do this with CarrierTracks and the default moving carriers in FSX. You need to tune your Nav to 112 for Javier's Nimitz and 111 for the default cvs. Happy hunting.

You can get the HUD here: http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2110

michael davies
May 14th, 2012, 13:28
Keep going back to this old favorite . .

One of the few aircraft I actually enjoyed making :). I can still see the normals/vertices folding over on the intake tops and casting poly shadows, golly I anguished over those for weeks, wish I had Max back then, so much easier and nicer to bend polys with than Gmax and the silly poly limit we had way back then....think it was about 45K, most modern VC joysticks beat that in one part these days!!, silly how we managed to build a whole aircraft for what now covers a joystick or ejection seat in poly count.

Victory103
May 15th, 2012, 01:17
Gents, over on flightsim.com, A. Diaz has released more paints for the Viggie. Continuing on his now long line of naval aircraft repaints, including most of the Abacus FD series and some great ones for the FS9 DSB/Iris S-3 and A-7, they look good in FSX too!

thunder100
May 15th, 2012, 01:44
One of the few aircraft I actually enjoyed making :). I can still see the normals/vertices folding over on the intake tops and casting poly shadows, golly I anguished over those for weeks, wish I had Max back then, so much easier and nicer to bend polys with than Gmax and the silly poly limit we had way back then....think it was about 45K, most modern VC joysticks beat that in one part these days!!, silly how we managed to build a whole aircraft for what now covers a joystick or ejection seat in poly count.

Time to do a new one???

Its one of my old alltime favorites and I fly all 4 in FSX with Alphasim modernized gauges (e.g. off SR71) and it is fine and a gracefull look,but just imagine what HD textures and a bump map could do to THAT beautiful plane

My 2 cents as non modeller at all

Roland

expat
May 15th, 2012, 03:00
Gents, over on flightsim.com, A. Diaz has released more paints for the Viggie.

Just noticed these!. Very realistic looking based on real photos. This plane was usually big, fast, loud and filthy!

One of the few aircraft I actually enjoyed making

Michael, all your work is top notch but you really nailed this one. The shape is perfect and it stands up so well after a number of years. b/t/w - the low polys are a bonus with the AI Viggies I have camping at NAS Key West!

expat
May 15th, 2012, 05:30
Always better looking cleaned up flying than on the ground but having fun populating NAS Key West circa mid seventies. Using a MAIW airbase scenery that ports fairly well into FSX.

michael davies
May 15th, 2012, 08:50
Time to do a new one???

Roland

Maybe, it flits in and out of my interest bubble more than most aircraft, the only trouble with the Viggi is the lack of real detailed VC info and for today's models you really need all the nuts and bolts etc to pass muster, or more correctly, more than interests me LOL, we'll see, I'm not committing to anything FS for some time, need to find a balance of interests at the moment and catch up on hobbies neglected over the years by being 100% FS orientated.

Michael

michael davies
May 15th, 2012, 08:52
Just noticed these!. Very realistic looking based on real photos. This plane was usually big, fast, loud and filthy!

Michael, all your work is top notch but you really nailed this one. The shape is perfect and it stands up so well after a number of years. b/t/w - the low polys are a bonus with the AI Viggies I have camping at NAS Key West!

Your too kind :), the shape isn't too bad I suppose, certainly not top shelf any more, but reading recent posts by a few, there seems to be a growing band of those just out for fun and not minding the older style of simpler model making?.

delta_lima
May 15th, 2012, 09:44
Time to do a new one???

Its one of my old alltime favorites and I fly all 4 in FSX with Alphasim modernized gauges (e.g. off SR71) and it is fine and a gracefull look,but just imagine what HD textures and a bump map could do to THAT beautiful plane

My 2 cents as non modeller at all

Roland

I disagree. What we need is more P-51Ds, more early mark Spitfires, and what – only two Beechcraft Barons – however will we survive? Our real crisis, however, is with F/A-18 Hornets. With only the 3 versions including MS A/C models , MS/CS B/D models, and the VRS versions E/F models, the scarcity of Hornets is getting severe. Thankfully, we have another A/C model is on the way.
:pop4:
Of course, I’m being facetious – tastes and market behaviours are statistically biased to the familiar, so I understand the compulsion for developers, especially payware ones, to follow suit. But bravo to those developers who brought us interesting, off-the-beaten path – yet iconic aircraft that most of us may never even see in museums, much less have seen flying. Hopefully my personal hope is that FSX FJ- Furies, F-4 Phantoms, CF-100s, F-8s, and small-wing U-2s will someday grace our skies. And an FSX Vigi? You bet – I’d get one in a heartbeat. In the interim, maybe Falcon409 could work his magic on the VC textures on the Alphasim model?

Question – where are the 4 Vigis? I know only of AS and Altieri’s, and I suspect Abacus did one. Whose is the 4th?

Thanks!

DL

PS - any screens of the Diaz RVAH-11 paint? That's my favourite Vigi scheme - not at sim pc for a few days ... looks lovely!

thunder100
May 15th, 2012, 11:06
need to find a balance of interests at the moment and catch up on hobbies neglected over the years by being 100% FS orientated.

Michael

That I understand VERY well

Just there are dreams

take the Alphasim Vigilante
Textures to 2048
Bumpmaps
FSX output-then we could use other (non accurate) interiors
FSX animations of that famous mixer steering
a 2 D VC just with a far higher texture resolution,where we could place the gauges flat in.

Now then again there are FAR more important things in life-then such a beautiful plane(by all standards**)

Best regards

Roland

**All Standards-I love Connies and was in about most development groups-still so the Vigilante has something

fsafranek
May 15th, 2012, 11:32
Question – where are the 4 Vigis? I know only of AS and Altieri’s, and I suspect Abacus did one.
Whose is the 4th?
I saw something over on Razbam's facebook page this morning.
Looked a bit like a Vigilante panel but I might be wrong. :icon_lol:

PS - any screens of the Diaz RVAH-11 paint? That's my favourite Vigi scheme - not at sim pc for a few days ... looks lovely!
I have some textures he sent me this past weekend after I hooked him up with OBIO's
paint kit. I've sent him back some feedback covering a few things I noticed. These
are WIP and also from FS9 so please excuse the ugly water color (I know we're standing
in the FSX room but does anyone recall a solution for that?).

If anyone has any comment on the accuracy of the underside dirt/grime this would be
the time to comment. Otherwise he'll probably use this as a common template for all
of his repaints.

thunder100
May 15th, 2012, 11:39
Question – where are the 4 Vigis? I know only of AS and Altieri’s, and I suspect Abacus did one. Whose is the 4th?

Thanks!

DL

The both you mentioned + ITO A-5 and ITO RA-5 so no miracle here(NO VC)

Roland

noddy
May 15th, 2012, 11:50

delta_lima
May 15th, 2012, 12:31
The both you mentioned + ITO A-5 and ITO RA-5 so no miracle here(NO VC)

Roland

Hmmm ... no VC can actually be an advantage over an embedded low-quality one, in that you can transplant one from a suitable FSX donor ... you have me thinking.

I had totally forgotten about the Ito model ... pity that there aren't too many repaints of that model. Still, might be good with a transplanted interior from some model with a one-piece windscreen ... maybe the Alphasim FSX F-5? Food for thought.

Thanks for a great thread.

noddy
May 15th, 2012, 12:42

thunder100
May 15th, 2012, 12:51
Hmmm ... no VC can actually be an advantage over an embedded low-quality one, in that you can transplant one from a suitable FSX donor ... you have me thinking.

I had totally forgotten about the Ito model ... pity that there aren't too many repaints of that model. Still, might be good with a transplanted interior from some model with a one-piece windscreen ... maybe the Alphasim FSX F-5? Food for thought.

Thanks for a great thread.

Ito-sans isnt FSX-->so the VC thing will not work-unfortunately

have fun

Roland

papab
May 15th, 2012, 13:01
If anyone has any comment on the accuracy of the underside dirt/grime this would be
the time to comment. Otherwise he'll probably use this as a common template for all
of his repaints.

Used to work on these in NAS Key West-jet mech

The recon canoe never really got that dirty(center under aircraft)
She used to get dirty around the J-79 exhaust feathers back about two feet from the end on the body of the Vigi

What a fun aircraft to wash-slipped off a wing a time or two...
Rick

michael davies
May 15th, 2012, 14:15
I saw something over on Razbam's facebook page this morning.
Looked a bit like a Vigilante panel but I might be wrong. :icon_lol:

Over the years I've learnt one solid fact, what ever your working on then some one else is probably doing the same, if it's USN then chances are Razbam are doing one, if its USAF then it'll be Milviz :).

expat
May 15th, 2012, 14:34
Rick,

Am very curious what other heavy Viggie squadrons were there at Key West and what years during your service there. I know RA5C's were winding down until the last was stood down in late '79. I camped next to the NAS on Spring Break (briefly) in March '80 and the roar of what had to be J-79's was unmistakable but from the history assume these were f-4s and Vigilante's were gone. Oh! We were in a McDonalds next to the base and some USN people had T-shirts saying: "We flew Viggies, the best for last!!" for some kind of exercise or competition. Do you know what that was about?

Really diggin these paints - and this thread!!

Wings of Gold
May 15th, 2012, 20:17
Hi guys,

I flew for the Nav for 26 years (starting in 1961). Almost all the USN textures that I see are over-weathered. The Navy birds were generally quite clean. I subscribe that to:

1/frequent corrison control, because of the ever present salt air
2/The fact that each squadron maintained their own aircraft (no maintenance squadron) gave the CO a lot more control over his aircraft.
3/ With hte close proximity of the other air group squadrons, there was a lot of rivalry.
4/ The guys who did the cleaning were on 24 hour contracts, unlike commercial aviation, no one was paid over-time to keep it looking good.
5/ I never saw a pilot who wanted HIS airplane looking filthy. I was the same way.

Bill

OBIO
May 15th, 2012, 21:14
I'm really glad to see the OBIOed AS Vig being put to use. I really enjoyed working on that big sexy plane. It's amazing seeing what Diaz has done with my bare bones paint kit....weathering and dirt just haven't worked well for me. A bit of grime is all I can muster without it looking too fakey and too overly done.

I don't know if the tried but true Alphasim F-105 Thunderchief models will work in FSX or not...but at some point, after I get over being burnt out on sim work, I need to finish up the OBIOization of those packages....lots and lots of tweaks done to the model files (including full reflectivity...FS9 style, not the bump map stuff in FSX) and some really sharp new paints.

OBIO

delta_lima
May 15th, 2012, 21:31
I personally enjoy weathered paints - maybe not as realistic, but maybe in a subtle way, they're a representation of the visceral work, danger, and effort that is military flying - that can never be fully conveyed through simulation. Maybe it's why I could more easily suspend disbelief when watching Star Wars versus Star Trek ...

Got home early tonight and did a bit of Vigi testing. Hard to choose ... Diaz' new paints give Alphasim model the nicest visual look in terms of painted realism, but I'd say Ito's model has the most amount of details and overall quality. No VC, and the flight model is wacky. What to do ... :) Wonderful subject - if one could combine the best of all these, there would be a pretty decent model, this side of a totally new FSX model.

Thanks!

thunder100
May 15th, 2012, 22:54
Dear DL

I fly them with the AS advanced FDE which works well after a bit of hassle(take AS-->Copy and paste from ITO FDE-->Contact points,light location's tiny others-->is more realistic then.As I do carrier landings for my own enjoyment( a bit less space to manouver though) I use the FA-18 FSX Acc settings for the tailhook there

Roland

expat
May 16th, 2012, 03:09
Agree with you DL that the weathering makes it more immersive per your Star Wars analogy. We are fortunate to have the very valuable contributions from USN vets here who saw these aircraft up close and it sounds like the weathering is a matter of degree and calibration. Looking at some pics attached again the Vets are right that the new paints are probably a bit over weathered. However, like you, I find perfect, factory fresh war planes very nice to look at but then for some reason it seems more like a game than a sim. Also very much chuckled re your bit about Mustangs, Spitfires, Barons and Hornets!! :icon_lol:

Re FDE's, I recently switched out of the "Advanced Flight Model" which as far as I can tell merely adds lots of fuels tanks. Because I forget half the time doing traps - and as a result crash and burn - because I am flying a Viggie with 100% fuel, I need to pause in game in order to drop the fuel load down to around 20% and having a single (or even triple) tank makes this a little easier (is there a key stroke command to REDUCE fuel while flying the way their is to increase it, i.e., Ctrl + x?). If this had fuel management modelled like e.g. the CS 707 or Manfred Jahn Connies I would probably think differently. Am going to switch back to the advanced FDE however as I am finding the single tank air.cfg flies with too much nose down and needs constant up trim which is a bit tedious.

Re panels, I actually suspect that it was not blue colored like the AS panel bitmap but grey and the AS panel resulted from a color (Ektachrome) photo that turned bluish over time. Just a theory.

Re a new FSX lash up (short of ground up build) if there was some not-too-difficult way to convert Michael's model to native FSX and then splice in e.g. an F-5 vc that would go a long way for me!

papab
May 16th, 2012, 05:51
Rick,

Am very curious what other heavy Viggie squadrons were there at Key West and what years during your service there. I know RA5C's were winding down until the last was stood down in late '79. I camped next to the NAS on Spring Break (briefly) in March '80 and the roar of what had to be J-79's was unmistakable but from the history assume these were f-4s and Vigilante's were gone. Oh! We were in a McDonalds next to the base and some USN people had T-shirts saying: "We flew Viggies, the best for last!!" for some kind of exercise or competition. Do you know what that was about?

Really diggin these paints - and this thread!!

Expat,
We moved the Vigilante Community from NAS Albany,GA to NAS Key West,Fl in January of 1974..
The Squadrons that moved in were HEAVY:1,3(training outfit), 5,6,7,9,11,12 & 13 as I remember

I joined HEAVY 9 in April of 1970 and I got out in August of 1974 but my wife,who was a WAVE(still married 38 years later,even though the Chief in my shop said it would not last!), was in until 1977 so I was in Key West that whole time

Being a Jet Mech we used to take the Vigi to high power area, put her in the Alameda Chocks and tie downs, full bag of fuel, start her up and blast those J-79's from idle to full burner and back-what a trip!
The nose wuld drop two feet on full burner!

Really enjoyed my time in the NAVY
Rick

Here is a link on the Vigilante you might be interested in:

http://www.bobjellison.com/RA5C_Vigilante.htm

And another showing some videos of the Vigi:
http://rvahnavy.ning.com/video/a-5-vigilante-rare-videos

fxsttcb
May 16th, 2012, 06:38
Hi guys,

I flew for the Nav for 26 years (starting in 1961). Almost all the USN textures that I see are over-weathered. The Navy birds were generally quite clean. I subscribe that to:

2/The fact that each squadron maintained their own aircraft (no maintenance squadron) gave the CO a lot more control over his aircraft.
3/ With hte close proximity of the other air group squadrons, there was a lot of rivalry.
4/ The guys who did the cleaning were on 24 hour contracts, unlike commercial aviation, no one was paid over-time to keep it looking good.
5/ I never saw a pilot who wanted HIS airplane looking filthy. I was the same way.

BillDitto that, Bill.
In the Corps, rivalry, and pride, kept our Phantoms sparkling.
The only spots that weren't easy to keep clean were the lower main gear doors. That burnt rubber was tough!
I was Avionics, but, with 15 birds, and 225 total enlisted members, it fell on all of us to help.
If a section had no gripes on the board they'd have a cleaning party. Yes, it could turn into a Cluster-****, and often did!

The most Vigilantes, I ever saw in one place, was at Key West in the fall of '75, we were on the Hot Pad and, IIRC, RVAH-12 and RVAH-13 were on deck, and RVAH-9 was on the transit ramp. I love my Phantoms, but, those RA-5s were quite sleek and very impressive to watch.

Anyhoo, I started on a Alpha Viggie port-over to FSX a while back and kinda lost interest. When I saw OBIO's Restoration in the library I decided to grab it and see if I could get going again.

I have a few Panels and Ports out there, that use one of my PhantomGaugesDCBVx.cabs, so naturally the latest version(still a WIP) fit the bill for period correct instruments. By no means realistic, the Viggies VC and 2D function well in FSX.
The plane is still a WIP overall(I haven't touched the FDE...yet) and I thought I'd share a shot of my VC.
The consoles aren't mapped for gauge placement so I pretty much put everything I could on the main panel(which is mapped like a 2D).
The 2D is almost the same, but, some things needed to be moved...Don

expat
May 16th, 2012, 07:13
Rick,

That's a lot of squadrons - all of them I believe - that moved from Albany. Surprised KNQX could support that number, in addition to its other activities, though I understand in the '70s the deployed squadrons on carriers numbered about only four aircraft each. Is that right?

expat

expat
May 16th, 2012, 07:19
Don,

I have as of a few days ago refitted the AS 2d panel with your PhantomGaugesDCBVx.cabs. Did not think anything could be done with VC but your screenie makes it look great.

Regards,

expat

delta_lima
May 16th, 2012, 08:18
Awesome Don - you do some good work, mate!

Three things about the AS model that I struggle with, relating to texturing:

VC textures - even though large non-functional, it's heavily pixelated. I'm assuming that's where much of Don's work is focused, so that could be a great step forward.
black/untextured canopy interior (solid frame bits, esp the rear - not the clear canopy itself, which is fine, of course)
Wheel detail - in this aspect, Ito's is superior. Don't know how easy it is to create wheel textures

Right now, with OBIO's enhancement, I've got reheat on all the time the lights are on - I've had this with many FS9 AS birds, and I'm sure if I dig somewhere, I can figure out the gauge/light/effect linkage that seems to be the standard cause of this.

I also stumbled across a youtube video of some guy "Simsamurai" who created a nice 2D panel for this aircraft ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-s28eGcJfU

Found his blog page, but couldn't find the panel in question. Though as one of the last holdouts who as late as FS9 preferred 2D panels over VCs, I could be tempted to fly this in 2D only (as I do with almost all airliners) if the 2D panel was good. That said, I've now come out in favour of VCs, so Don's magic on the VC here might be the trick.

Looks like this thread might bust into a second page soon ... :ichile:

papab
May 16th, 2012, 09:00
Rick,

That's a lot of squadrons - all of them I believe - that moved from Albany. Surprised KNQX could support that number, in addition to its other activities, though I understand in the '70s the deployed squadrons on carriers numbered about only four aircraft each. Is that right?

expat

When I got to HEAVY 9 we had six flying and one hanger Queen

By the time we deployed on the Forrestal to the Med in 72/73 we had 4 birds
Half of our Squadron went to NAS Rota Spain so when the Forrestal was in the Western Med, the birds could bingo back to Rota as not to clutter up the deck on the Forrestal
When we worked the Eastern Med we had a deployment(me included) for 4 weeks at Suda Bay Crete( shared with Greek AF) so the birds had a place to roost for the night-that was a fun deployment!

Rick

fxsttcb
May 16th, 2012, 11:11
Thanks DL and Expat! I try!

Here's a peek at where I am with a grey Version:

65522 65523

If and when I can be happy with it, and leave it alone, I'll stick it in a library somewhere...Don

Navy Chief
May 16th, 2012, 12:18
Hi guys,

Bill

Most of the time, the aircraft in the squadrons I was in (mostly at NAS Cecil Field) were kept quite clean. However, when we would go on dets to Fallon, Key West, Roosevelt Roads, and such....it was not so easy to keep them that way. And onboard the carrier, it was almost impossible.

When we would make a port visit, the duty section would be busting their a...s, doing aircraft washes, along with other scheduled maintenance and repairs. At sea, we would go through cases and cases of spray aircraft cleaner (spray Turco). Did the best we could, but the birds definitely looked rough, coming off a cruise. And with the advent of the "Tactical Gray" paint scheme, it was even more difficult to get the aircraft looking clean. It was as if that gray paint would soak up the grime/dirt, and made it really hard to clean.

Preparing for Corrosion Inspections was very stressful. Maintenance Control wasn't notified about which 3 aircraft would be looked at by the wing, so over a period of weeks/months, ALL of the birds would be pulled into the hangar, all panels pulled, and cleaned inside and out. Even with that amount of work, the Corrosion Inspections were a nightmare for the maintenance personnel. And it wasn't just aircraft being inspected; it was all the associated paperwork, training jackets....everything!

Navy Chief

FSX68
May 16th, 2012, 12:19
We still have a viggie here at KNQA Millington, been here for quite a while. She sits in front of what was the
old galley when this was a naval aviation training command now a muni airport. We sold the 8000 ft
airstrip to the city for $1. Such a deal.

expat
May 16th, 2012, 12:55
Don, that is truly transforming work on both the 2d and 3d panels. Superb!

fxsttcb
May 17th, 2012, 07:28
Don, that is truly transforming work on both the 2d and 3d panels. Superb!Thanks for the kind words! I'm actually getting to the point, where I can actually be happy flying this beauty rather than "Pause...Tweak...Fly...Pause...Fix...!

We still have a viggie here at KNQA Millington, been here for quite a while. She sits in front of what was the
old galley when this was a naval aviation training command now a muni airport. We sold the 8000 ft
airstrip to the city for $1. Such a deal.Ahhhh...I remember too many rushed meals in that Chow Hall. I went through Avionics "A" and "AFTA" at NATTC Memphis a looooong time ago.
Thanks for the Viggie shot, and the nostalgia. :salute:

DL, the 'burners in FSX can be controlled in the aircraft.cfg.
I also added TSFC entries, to mine, using the RW J79 data for Fuel usage in FSX.
They may have to be trimmed to reflect the proper RW range etc., but, it is a good starting point.
[TurbineEngineData]
afterburner_throttle_threshold = 1.00 //Percent/100, throttle where a/b comes on
ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.85 //J79 TSFC: 0.85 lb/(h·lbf) at military thrust
AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.965 //J79 TSFC: 1.965 lb/(h·lbf) with afterburner

I'm one of the fortunate folks that, regardless of calibration, my throttle control will not go to 100%(0.996 max) in the sim's throttle variable.
Max Throttle and the threshhold set to 1.00(100%) the "F4" key becomes my 'burner engage button. Moving the throttle back disengages it.

The gauge that controls the effect now(F-4/mirageburnerLOGO.xml) uses throttle position to turn on the Logo Light for Reheat and it engages both engines' effects simultaneously.
I'm working on a gauge that will turn on the Logo(Eng 1) and Wing(Eng 2) lights when, and only when, FSX ReHeat is active on the related engine. My plan is to include a clickable indicator that includes individual engagement for each engine, so, if an engine's throttle is less than 100%, but, greater than 99%, it will engage the 'burner on that engine without using "F4" that engages both. Thoughts?

Anybody have a fully tweaked FDE yet? I haven't spent much time in the air with her and dunno what, if anything, it needs...Don

hschuit
May 17th, 2012, 08:48
... I'm one of the fortunate folks that, regardless of calibration, my throttle control will not go to 100%(0.996 max) in the sim's throttle variable.
Max Throttle and the threshhold set to 1.00(100%) the "F4" key becomes my 'burner engage button. Moving the throttle back disengages it.
Try this tweak to fix the throttle not reaching 100% - open the Standard.XML file and set the AxScale value to 129 in this section:

In my file this AXIS_THROTTLE_SET section appears twice, the AxScale value was 127 before, I updated both. To avoid the settings getting screwed up again after changing FSX settings you might want to make the file properties read-only.

BTW: In Windows 7, the Standard.XML files lives in folder C:\Users\yourname<YOURUSERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\
In Windows XP that is C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\

cheers, Henk.

fxsttcb
May 17th, 2012, 09:39
Thanks, Henk, but, you must have mis-understood! I like it the way it is. Simply, because it does not engage the 'burners automatically.
That way I can get 100% military power without fudging what was, IIRC(it's been 40yrs), originally a detent in the J79 throttles at 100%.
IRW moving past the detent engaged AB, so, in effect, with "F4" I think I'm doing the same thing...Don

hschuit
May 17th, 2012, 10:51
Don, nice to see that sometimes one out of many bugs in FSX can be turned into a feature by the creative minds here on the forum :cool:

dharris
May 17th, 2012, 12:33
Thanks for the kind words! I'm actually getting to the point, where I can actually be happy flying this beauty rather than "Pause...Tweak...Fly...Pause...Fix...!

Ahhhh...I remember too many rushed meals in that Chow Hall. I went through Avionics "A" and "AFTA" at NATTC Memphis a looooong time ago.
Thanks for the Viggie shot, and the nostalgia. :salute:

DL, the 'burners in FSX can be controlled in the aircraft.cfg.
I also added TSFC entries, to mine, using the RW J79 data for Fuel usage in FSX.
They may have to be trimmed to reflect the proper RW range etc., but, it is a good starting point.
[TurbineEngineData]
afterburner_throttle_threshold = 1.00 //Percent/100, throttle where a/b comes on
ThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 0.85 //J79 TSFC: 0.85 lb/(h·lbf) at military thrust
AfterBurnThrustSpecificFuelConsumption = 1.965 //J79 TSFC: 1.965 lb/(h·lbf) with afterburner

I'm one of the fortunate folks that, regardless of calibration, my throttle control will not go to 100%(0.996 max) in the sim's throttle variable.

The gauge that controls the effect now(F-4/mirageburnerLOGO.xml) uses throttle position to turn on the Logo Light for Reheat and it engages both engines' effects simultaneously.
I'm working on a gauge that will turn on the Logo(Eng 1) and Wing(Eng 2) lights when, and only when, FSX ReHeat is active on the related engine. My plan is to include a clickable indicator that includes individual engagement for each engine, so, if an engine's throttle is less than 100%, but, greater than 99%, it will engage the 'burner on that engine without using "F4" that engages both. Thoughts?

Anybody have a fully tweaked FDE yet? I haven't spent much time in the air with her and dunno what, if anything, it needs...Don

When did you go thru? I was there for AFRAM and avionics A school in late 1962-1963, oh boy, down to Millington to change at a locker into civies and down to Memphis for liberty, maybe stop at Sailor Tailors to have uniform fitted and zipper put in, then down to Beale street............

fxsttcb
May 17th, 2012, 14:43
When did you go thru? I was there for AFRAM and avionics A school in late 1962-1963, oh boy, down to Millington to change at a locker into civies and down to Memphis for liberty, maybe stop at Sailor Tailors to have uniform fitted and zipper put in, then down to Beale street............
I was there in '71, but, the routine sure didn't change in those 8 years!
The Beale St. row, and the Lamplighter(Jerry Lee Lewis' place) were where you could usually find me...Don

papab
May 17th, 2012, 15:03
I was there in '71, but, the routine sure didn't change in those 8 years!
The Beale St. row, and the Lamplighter(Jerry Lee Lewis' place) were where you could usually find me...Don

I was in Millington from January-April 1971
Jet Mech A school

Oh the nights at the EM club.........

Rick

Warhawk1130
May 18th, 2012, 05:06
Hi guys,

Bill

Amen to that! as many A-7's that I scrubbed personally in the real world I can contest to. Using the spray turco cleaner was the worst while at sea..took a long time to wipe a bird down with that stuff LOL.

Victory103
May 19th, 2012, 02:00
You guys are making me feel like the new guy, I was in Millington in early 94, thanks for the pic.

Great to see this model go from a simple port over idea to a full on project.

expat
May 19th, 2012, 02:45
This is fun! Superb panel and set of gauges done by Don. Having a problem with the radios. Can't change the frequencies on either Nav or Com on either pop up. Suspect it is the radio entries in my air.cfg need changing. Can you post the entries from your air.cfg?

Many thanks

expat

Navy Chief
May 19th, 2012, 02:48
I went through AFUN-P, then AME-A school in Winter/early Spring of 73. Locals said it was one of the coldest winters on record. I remember the AQs/ATs lived in brand new barracks, and the rest of us were in much older ones. Open bay, with lockers dividing living spaces. The enlisted club was ok, but didn't spend much time there.

When I arrived at Millington, there wasn't enough students to start a class, so they put me in the bakery at the galley, working night shift for a sadistic First Class who hated newbies. I remember scrubbing the inside of a huge oven with a pumice stone and water. Even though the oven was off, it was over 100 degrees or more. And I remember that petty officer screaming at us most of the time. Not fun.

NC

PRB
May 19th, 2012, 04:00
I was going to A school at Mllington when that Viggie was towed over and stuck atop those sticks. 1980/81. Cool to see that it's still there. Here's the Massimo Altieri version with some Alphasim gauges in the VC. I like this one. Could use a paint or two, but it's a fun ship.

fxsttcb
May 19th, 2012, 06:24
expat, The radios I used, while not showing a standy swap function, do need the Standby Frequency activated in the aircraft.cfg.

[Radios]
// Radio Type = availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope
Audio.1=1
Com.1=1, 1
Com.2=1, 1
Nav.1=1, 1, 1
Nav.2=1, 1, 0
Adf.1=1
Adf.2=1
Transponder.1=1
Marker.1=1

I've been flying it quite a bit in the last couple days and have to say the Bob Chicilo/OBIO FDE seems to work very well.
It takes some spoiler to reduce speed, but, that is all I would consider changing. Thank You Sirs!

I'm kinda stalled trying to get a nice RWR built for it, but, I am progressing.
You might note that I used Massimo Altieri's VC as a model for the "Cheater" version I'm working on.
It doesn't match the 2D, but, gives more function, and looks better, IMO.
I'll keep plugging away and should have a Beta in the library soon...Don

BTW: My New Mains. Feedback?

expat
May 19th, 2012, 07:13
Antonio Diaz has again posted further repaints on flightsim.com

<TBODY>

<CENTER>FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Modern Military</CENTER><CENTER>FS2004 Us Navy RA-5c RVAH-12 601NK
</CENTER><CENTER>[ Download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?108-Copyright&fid=165890) | View (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?113-Zip-View&cm=list&fid=165890) ] </CENTER>
Name: us_navy_ra-5c_rvahg-12_601nk.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?108-Copyright&fid=165890)
Size: 1,551,607 Date: 05-19-2012 Downloads: 35

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fscfiles/r/us_navy_ra-5c_rvahg-12_601nk.gif
FS2004 Us Navy RA-5c RVAH-12 601NK. Textures for the US Navy RA-5C Vigilante RVAH-3 "Speartips" 601NK USS Enterprise 1975. You need the model RA-5C Vigilante By Alphasim (http://www.fspilotshop.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=333&ref=269). By Antonio Diaz.

<CENTER>FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Modern Military</CENTER><CENTER>FS2004 US Navy Ra-5c RVAH-3 303GJ
</CENTER><CENTER>[ Download (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?108-Copyright&fid=165889) | View (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?113-Zip-View&cm=list&fid=165889) ] </CENTER>
Name: us_navy_ra-5_rvah-3_303gj.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/vbfs/content.php?108-Copyright&fid=165889)
Size: 1,594,290 Date: 05-19-2012 Downloads: 34

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/images/fscfiles/r/us_navy_ra-5_rvah-3_303gj.gif

</TBODY>

expat
May 19th, 2012, 07:14
Don,

Thanks for the come back on the radios. Mains look much better - was going to clean them myself but you beat me to it!

expat

fxsttcb
May 19th, 2012, 07:47
Like DL said, the Ito san Wheels look much more realistic, but, when I checked their bitmaps, they are less than half the Alpha's resolution!
Kazunori must have done a lot more detailed modeling of the tire and wheel to look so much better. :applause:

Back to the RWR:isadizzy:, after this little Forum/Coffee break. She's getting there...Don

Wings of Gold
May 20th, 2012, 12:36
As a change of pace, I am integrating the MAIW Key West scenery (fs9) scenery structures with the brand new (Newport) Key West Photo Scenery (FSX). Their photo scenery is wonderful, and doesn't appear to add ANY loss of frame rates. The problem that I am having is supressing the default FSX autogen structures, which come with Newport's scenery. The autogen structures don't respond to a standard exclusion file. I have a question in to Neport Sceneries, but they may well not want to tell me how to modify their product. Any takers on how to accomplish this?? We really need a home field for our new Viggies (smile)! Bill

expat
May 21st, 2012, 00:27
I am not a scenery expert but do fool around a bit with ADE. Is there a "flatten" function you can try as well as an "exclude"?

expat
May 21st, 2012, 00:41
Have just checked out the Newport photoreal Key West scenery. Nicely done, but I still don't really "get" photoreal scenery. To my eyes it always looks washed out, low resolution and painted in watercolors, perhaps less so when flying at high altitudes, but if doing pattern work or on the ground it looks a bit of a mess.

johndetrick
May 21st, 2012, 02:12
I was at Millington the first time in 78 going through AFUNP, then BEE and finally AVR school. I remember us Marines staying in the old wooden barracks. Went back in 80 for more electronics schools, this time I was barracks NCO for a bunch of rowdy young Marines. I think I learned more doing that then going to school. Nothing like selling blood a day or two before payday and then drinking the profits. You could get quite a buzz on 25 cent drafts after that!

fxsttcb
May 21st, 2012, 03:06
Ha-Ha! Vampire Liberty! Sell blood, head to the watering hole. Cheap Buzz, that. :isadizzy: I remember it well!

"FSX Alphasim RA-5C Panel" uploaded to the library: FSX Add-Ons/FSX Panels. Enjoy! :icon30:...Don

expat
May 21st, 2012, 13:13
FSX Alphasim RA-5C Panel" uploaded to the library: FSX Add-Ons/FSX Panels. Enjoy!

It is a great work and contribution - congratulations Don and many thanks!!:applause:

fxsttcb
May 21st, 2012, 16:01
Thank You, Sir! I had a blast making it.

I've already found a conflict though! I put Rob Barendregt's Carrier Operation Package(rcbco-30.zip) in it like I normally do with my Naval birds.
While I was taxiing out for a dawn flight, I noticed #2 engine's "blue" running effect flashing.
Further investigation revealed that Rob's SonicBoomControl.xml and the F4 Engine running follower.xml both are tied to the Cabin Lights(effect)!
My gauge turned 'em on, Rob's turned 'em off! Lovely, just freakin' lovely!

The only other "Light" that might be available on the Viggie, to trigger the blue engine running effect, is the Beacon.
I'll test it and if/when I get it sorted, I'll revise the upload. Meanwhile, on mine, the blue dot gets the axe...Don

fsafranek
May 21st, 2012, 18:41
"FSX Alphasim RA-5C Panel" uploaded to the library: FSX Add-Ons/FSX Panels. Enjoy! :icon30:...Don
Thank you!

Quick link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=117&linkid=7581

:ernae:

DaveQ
May 22nd, 2012, 03:25
Many thanks for a great new vc Don. This really makes flying the RA-5C so much more interesting. I have one query; the radar on the right side of the vc doesn't show. Can it be made to?

Thanks again.

DaveQ

expat
May 22nd, 2012, 04:07
I put Rob Barendregt's Carrier Operation Package(rcbco-30.zip) in it like I normally do with my Naval birds.

Funny enough, I have admired and used Rob's gauges until recently having problems with conflicts on the Accel cv's - Javier's Nimitz and the Clemenceau - where the plane on trap was turning over on its side - or sling shotted backwards - and then crashing into the deck ending the flight. Someone here suggested choosing one method or the other. As a result I have over time been removing the rcbco equipment on my Nav birds and "going naked" with just the Accel launch bar and tail hook settings and with few problems - until now.

Had some time last night to do carrier ops with your new panel (no rcbco, just Accel) and on 4 out of 5 traps - which should have been on money - the Vig turned over and crashed into the deck. After the 5th one - which avoided this, narrowly - I had to take breather to think about what is doing this. Most likely from another thread - think we were discussing this re the Vertigo Panther - it is the Tailhook entries in the air.cfg. The one's in your latest upload didn't work for me but seem to be fine I assume for you Don and others here, which is curious. Have tried different setups for e.g. the AS Skywarrior and Phantom but no a real improvement.

b/t/w - I have - somehow - got great looking AB that comes on in sequence with blue glow etc though it activates via full throttle rather than a separate switch if you are interested.

Regards,

expat

fxsttcb
May 22nd, 2012, 06:53
Many thanks for a great new vc Don. This really makes flying the RA-5C so much more interesting. I have one query; the radar on the right side of the vc doesn't show. Can it be made to?
DaveQYou are welcome Dave. The RADAR(RHAW/RWR) you are refering to, only shows valid nearby traffic. My fake RWR and I have lots of traffic!
It has click spots top/bottom to change the range/zoom.

I tried, and failed, to give it transparency so I could use a RWR style bitmap and add strobes along with the little green blobs.

Funny enough, I have admired and used Rob's gauges until recently having problems with conflicts on the Accel cv's - Javier's Nimitz and the Clemenceau - where the plane on trap was turning over on its side - or sling shotted backwards - and then crashing into the deck ending the flight. Someone here suggested choosing one method or the other. As a result I have over time been removing the rcbco equipment on my Nav birds and "going naked" with just the Accel launch bar and tail hook settings and with few problems - until now.

Had some time last night to do carrier ops with your new panel (no rcbco, just Accel) and on 4 out of 5 traps - which should have been on money - the Vig turned over and crashed into the deck. After the 5th one - which avoided this, narrowly - I had to take breather to think about what is doing this. Most likely from another thread - think we were discussing this re the Vertigo Panther - it is the Tailhook entries in the air.cfg. The one's in your latest upload didn't work for me but seem to be fine I assume for you Don and others here, which is curious. Have tried different setups for e.g. the AS Skywarrior and Phantom but no a real improvement.

b/t/w - I have - somehow - got great looking AB that comes on in sequence with blue glow etc though it activates via full throttle rather than a separate switch if you are interested.

Regards,

expatI'm not too good at traps, so I assumed all of the flipping over etc, was ME(probably is me anyhow).
rcbo-30 works fine in my other Naval Aviation birds, IF I hit the deck properly(rare occasion).
I have arrestor cables at Pax River, so I'll try practicing and tune there to be sure it's not Carrier related.
What tailhook settings?

I did the Revision to accomodate rcbo-30 and updated it in the library for the folks that want it.

Your welcome, Frank. And Thank You for posting the link...Don

sbp
May 22nd, 2012, 10:10
While working "mid-shift's" in Danang tower back in '71, we could alway's expect a low pass over the runway by a US Navy A-5 who would drop an "intel pack", as we were told. No aircraft lights so he was just a shadow as he made the low pass. Was always around 1-3 AM. Very intriqing. Never did get the full story on these low passes. Could anyone out there shed some light on these mission's?

sbp

dharris
May 23rd, 2012, 17:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyIOyQniNe0Found this video of flight ops with

F8 Crusaders,A4 Skyhawks,A-5 Vigilantes ,F4 Phantoms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJUk4c0XZIU&feature=related

A5 was one beautiful aircraft

expat
May 27th, 2012, 11:06
Antonio Diaz has done a couple more repaints -this one and a nice one of the camo version. :jump:

GunnyG
May 28th, 2012, 16:42
airstrip to the city for $1. Such a deal.

Been there, lived next door to the chow hall, never got posted on "plane watch" duty....

I was at Millington the first time in 78 going through AFUNP, then BEE and finally AVR school. I remember us Marines staying in the old wooden barracks. Went back in 80 for more electronics schools, this time I was barracks NCO for a bunch of rowdy young Marines. I think I learned more doing that then going to school. Nothing like selling blood a day or two before payday and then drinking the profits. You could get quite a buzz on 25 cent drafts after that!

...for AFUN(P), then BE&E and AV"A" courses, Dec '84 and on.

TARPSBird
May 28th, 2012, 18:00
While working "mid-shift's" in Danang tower back in '71, we could alway's expect a low pass over the runway by a US Navy A-5 who would drop an "intel pack", as we were told. No aircraft lights so he was just a shadow as he made the low pass. Was always around 1-3 AM. Very intriqing. Never did get the full story on these low passes. Could anyone out there shed some light on these mission's?
sbp

That's a new one on me. I have no idea what an "intel pack" drop would have consisted of. The aircraft had no capability for dropping film cannisters, and had no need to do so. All the carriers that the Viggie operated from had a full aerial photo lab, and an intel center to do the imagery read-out. After the first-phase analysis of the recce film, it was sent off to a facility at NAS Cubi Point in the Philippines for second-phase analysis. This was standard routine for the RVAH squadrons and VFP-63's RF-8 detachments on the smaller decks. I'll ask around and see if I can find more info.

expat
May 28th, 2012, 22:50
I wonder if it is something to do with calibration of the cameras or TV equipment, bearing in mind that you could not do this over water or over a moving ship?

delta_lima
June 1st, 2012, 09:52
Had a chance to install Don's new panels - they ROCK!!! Thanks again - they're loads better than the old version.

Now, nice as the repaints for the Alpha model are, I keep coming back to Ito's - some really nice details there, the lack of vc notwithstanding. Oh yeah, and I can't fly straight and level (FDE) ... I know, I'm nitpicking ... :mixedsmi: I'm going to do a Frankenstein arrangement of FDE and aircraft.cfgs to try and sort out more workable flying characteristics.

One hangup I have is the tailhook on the Ito model - doesn't seem to deploy. I recall with his FJ-1 in FSX not working due to hydraulics. I added the same hydraulics entry in, and still it won't lower.

Those of you (thunder100, I believe) who use Ito's RA-5 in FSX, what have you done to get the hook to lower?

Thanks!