PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur wind

PeteHam
May 6th, 2012, 22:01
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ...... the thoughts that went through my mind when I read this ..... :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Dinosaur wind 'altered climate'

http://news.msn.co.nz/worldnews/8463239/dinosaur-wind-altered-climate (http://news.msn.co.nz/worldnews/8463239/dinosaur-wind-altered-climate)

Huge plant-eating dinosaurs may have produced enough greenhouse gas by breaking wind to alter the Earth's climate, UK research suggests.

Like leviathan cows, the mighty sauropods would have generated enormous quantities of methane.

Sauropods, recognisable by their long necks and tails, were widespread around 150 million years ago.

They included some of the largest animals to walk the earth, such as Diplodocus, which measured 45 metres and weighed up to 45 tonnes.

Scientists believe that, just as in cows, methane-producing bacteria aided the digestion of sauropods by fermenting their plant food.

"A simple mathematical model suggests that the microbes living in sauropod dinosaurs may have produced enough methane to have an important effect on the Mesozoic climate," said study leader Dr Dave Wilkinson, from Liverpool John Moores University.

"Our calculations suggest that these dinosaurs could have produced more methane than all modern sources - both natural and man-made - put together."

The research was published on Monday in the journal Current Biology.

Methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide, with a stronger ability to trap heat.

Dr Wilkinson and colleague Professor Graeme Ruxton, from the University of St Andrews in Scotland, began to wonder about Mesozoic methane while investigating sauropod ecology.

Research on a range of modern species has allowed experts to predict how much methane is likely to be generated by animals of different sizes.

The key factor is the total mass of the animal.

Medium-sized sauropods weighed about 20 tonnes and lived in herds of up to a few dozen individuals per square kilometre.

Global methane emissions from the animals would have amounted to around 472 million tonnes per year, the scientists calculated.

The figure is comparable to total natural and man-made methane emissions today. Before the start of the industrial age, about 150 years ago, methane emissions were around 181 million tonnes per year.

Modern ruminant animals, including cows, goats, and giraffes, together produce 45 to 90 million tonnes of methane.

Sauropods alone may have been responsible for an atmospheric methane concentration of one to two parts per million (ppm), said the scientists.

In the warm, wet Mesozoic, forest fires and leaking natural gasfields could have added another four parts per million.

The scientists wrote: "The Mesozoic trend to sauropod gigantism led to the evolution of immense microbial vats unequalled in modern land animals. Methane was probably important in Mesozoic greenhouse warming.

"Our simple proof-of-concept model suggests greenhouse warming by sauropod megaherbivores could have been significant in sustaining warm climates."

deKoven
May 7th, 2012, 04:27
:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ...... the thoughts that went through my mind when I read this ..... :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Dinosaur wind 'altered climate'

Huge plant-eating dinosaurs may have produced enough greenhouse gas by breaking wind to alter the Earth's climate, UK research suggests.

Much Snippage.....significant in sustaining warm climates."

They aren't extinct; I've met some of them in the course of my wanderings. Some can gas out a whole room and make it uninhabitable for minutes.

:icon_lol:

Terry
May 7th, 2012, 04:46
They aren't extinct; I've met some of them in the course of my wanderings. Some can gas out a whole room and make it uninhabitable for minutes.

:icon_lol:

Yes, and they are the same ones complaining about the climate!

brad kaste
May 7th, 2012, 04:54
...It's too bad that the sauropods didn't properly harness their methane gas. Like,.....inserting large, flexible neoprene tubing into their posterior and from there,....pass the fumes out into a collection tank. The gas could then be lite for combustion, heating purposes,...or illumination. Of course, the sauropods were a lazy lot and not too imaginative. They brought doom to themselves.

beana51
May 7th, 2012, 06:11
They Needed a CATALYTIC CONVERTER installed!!.......

rhumbaflappy
May 7th, 2012, 06:21
Their fate was abrupt and sad. They all disappeared like a fart in the wind...

Dick

T Square
May 7th, 2012, 07:07
rhumbaflappy
Their fate was abrupt and sad. They all disappeared like a fart in the wind...

Dick

Not really I think over time they just evolved into what we now call "Politicians"

Prowler1111
May 7th, 2012, 09:21
They are not extinct....at least not the breaking wind ones...i personally know one, and my kids call him uncle!..

Prowler

arfyhun
May 7th, 2012, 10:18
This thread has made me realise I'm married to one!

Graham.

SSI01
May 7th, 2012, 10:26
They have a resurgence every election cycle, we're all about to be administered a monumental gassing in November!:isadizzy:

I believe due to their size and three speeds (slow, slower, and stop) the sauropods must have evolved into govt bureaucrats. The problem we have is the latest ones keep reproducing, we don't have a way of sterilizing them yet! In "Jurassic Park," they made the dinosaurs lyciene-deficient; deprived of this substance they would die in short order. I wonder if that stuff is on the menu in the Capitol cafeteria?

Don't be too hard on the bumbling and inefficiency in govt, though - it may be our salvation. Just ask anyone who was of a certain religious persuasion and lived in Germany from 1933 to 1945 about an efficient government!

T-Square - check the other thread from Rami, I left you a msg there as well:salute:

aeronca1
May 7th, 2012, 10:36
Thank goodness lighters weren't around back then. A dinosaur flicks his/her BIC and goodbye good ole Earth....

cheezyflier
May 7th, 2012, 12:42
Thank goodness lighters weren't around back then. A dinosaur flicks his/her BIC and goodbye good ole Earth....

hey, ya never know.... there's that huge crater just outside of winslow az.

SSI01
May 7th, 2012, 13:12
That was my ex-brother-in-law, he dropped a quarter on his front lawn . . .

T Square
May 7th, 2012, 18:57
Cows are famous for their delicious steaks, stylish leather and the prodigious amounts of gas they produce. Some speculate that flaming cow burps may have led to the legend of fire-breathing dragons. If only there were some way to harness that awesome power and eliminate the horrible pollution.

That day may be fast upon us.

On January 3 the United States Patent office issued a patent to Markus Donald Herrema for his "process for the utilization of the methane contained within ruminant animal exhalation, specifically to a process that utilizes the methane contained within ruminant animal exhalation as a source of carbon and/or energy for the production of methane-utilizing microorganisms in a microorganism growth-and-harvest apparatus."

Methane from both ends of the cows is routed into a tank where micro-organisms break down the methane into yummy, nutritious biomass. "Such biomass can be processed and sold as a nutritional foodstuff."

Our only hope for saving the planet from global warming is to eat cow farts.

Maybe Markus is on to something that may save us all. :pop4:

stansdds
May 8th, 2012, 02:16
What really killed the dinosaurs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlnXc2mqaKY

brad kaste
May 8th, 2012, 06:44
The way I've heard it,.....standing behind a dinosaur when he let loose with copious amount of flatulence is equivalent to standing behind a jet engine blast of a Boeing 747. I'll take my chances with the Boeing 747.