PDA

View Full Version : OT: Polished Bare-Metal P-40B (real)

Bomber_12th
May 5th, 2012, 08:12
This thing rolled out onto the ramp last night at Chino. :icon_eek:
If you didn't know of this one, you're not alone!

Photos by Jim Harley.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/J26%20Mustang/DSC_9365.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/J26%20Mustang/DSC_9373.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/J26%20Mustang/DSC_9381.jpg

Hurricane91
May 5th, 2012, 09:31
Fabulous! That's the way I like to see P-40B/Cs, spit and polish Army Air Corps.
The Seversky P-35 is also gorgeous. Thanks for posting the photos Bomber.

jankees
May 5th, 2012, 09:51
wow, very nice!

rwmarth
May 5th, 2012, 10:12
That is very cool. Thanks for sharing those!

Bomber_12th
May 5th, 2012, 10:29
P-40 - For some little background information, the aircraft was built/re-built at Matt Nightingale's shop at Chino. Matt has been directly involved with all of the airworthy P-40B/C's, including the restoration of the Flying Heritage Collection's P-40C, the restoration of The Fighter Collection's P-40B, and the restoration of the wings of the Rod Lewis P-40C (restored at Avspecs). He was also involved in the restoration of The Fighter Collection's Hawk 75, so there is a lot of experience there with the early Hawk fighters. At this time, I don't know if it is a static build or an airworthy build. I had read that it's a static restoration, but that has now been detracted. Either way, it is an absolutely stunning aircraft, and I can't wait to learn more about it.

Also, as has been posted about in the News Hawks forum, one of the other big surprises taking place at the Chino air show this weekend, is the gathering of three (original) airworthy A6M "Zeros", flying together. This may likely be the last time something like this happens, at least for a very, very long time, as one of those three will no longer call California home, very shortly, and will actually be going up to Anchorage, Alaska, where it will be kept. There will likely be a number of aviation publications carrying the story and images from this very special gathering.

Also, the Planes of Fame Museum's P-51D has been recently re-painted and configured as a 506th FG (Iwo Jima) Mustang, with the dual spine antennas. The Museum's Mustang, a very late variant P-51D-30-NT, was actually originally manufactured with that unique antenna setup (first introduced on Iwo Jima based Mustangs, and then later introduced at the factory), and the mounting holes have remained since WWII, so the aircraft actually didn't have to be modified to have the antennas added on. There should also be another antenna mast on the lower cowl, but that has, at least as of yet, not been added (despite the fact that the mounting holes for that antenna mast are still present as well).

Photo by Frank Marmillo, taken from the photo flight this past week:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/DSC_7087_edited_New_New.jpg

Photo, as credited, by Keith Breazeal:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/6998096088_2930a89979_o.jpg

Bomber_12th
May 5th, 2012, 10:35
Over-all, if you are to consider the Chino/Planes of Fame air show as the kick-off to the warbird air show season in the U.S., what an amazing start!!

Daube
May 5th, 2012, 11:40
This thing rolled out onto the ramp last night at Chino. :icon_eek:
If you didn't know of this one, you're not alone!

Photos by Jim Harley.

I believe the repaint for that exact bird has been recently uploaded somewhere, for the A2A Accusim P-40 of course.

EDIT: ah no, my bad. The repaint for the A2A P40 is just metal, not chrome. Also, it has a red prop nose, as well as some markings on the fuselage.

jankees
May 5th, 2012, 12:35
Also note the second 506th FG Mustang #506 'Dolly' as flown by capt Grant off Iwo Jima, so with 'Kwitcherbitchin' that now makes two Iwo Mustangs

jankees
May 5th, 2012, 12:37
Also note the second 506th FG Mustang #507 'Dolly' as flown by capt Grant off Iwo Jima, so with 'Kwitcherbitchin' that now makes two Iwo Mustangs

Ian Warren
May 5th, 2012, 13:06
Now whos going to pick up the paint brush for this one .. be dang gorgeous to get complete photo real ..course requires a lotta clicking but would be interesting on A2As P-40:cool:

rwmarth
May 5th, 2012, 14:43
Wish I could figure out the environment map effect on the A2A P-40. If you like the look, I had uploaded pretty much the same plane to OZx a bit back minus the reflections, and if you like the reflection look, Thomas Weiss did a great one. And of course Jan Kees has some great metal P-40s. The metal look really fits the 1930s' streamlining era which the P-40 came from.

Bomber_12th
May 6th, 2012, 08:49
Just some further word...it sounds like the intention for this aircraft, although likely obvious to most, was to reproduce the look of the XP-40 (something that repainters have been doing with P-40B/C models for years). Although it doesn't seem like any mention can be made about the owner of the aircraft (that was something that was not allowed to be talked about), there have been a number of hints that it might, eventually, be headed to join the aircraft/warbird collection of a certain well known energy drink company. The character of the aircraft matches oh so well with said company's P-38 (which was restored to resemble the YP-38). Of course this is all speculation until more is made available.

Bomber_12th
May 10th, 2012, 09:54
Sorry to bring this back up again, but it sounds like, with good certainty, that the aircraft is owned by The Fighter Collection, based at Duxford, as it is being mentioned in several places. I figure some of my UK-based friends would be interested in hearing that, if they haven't already!

And it will be a flyer!

(Also, I just want to reiterate again, that the images of the P-40 were originally posted by Jim Harley at the Warbird Information Exchange and Key Publishing forums)

jonraptor
May 10th, 2012, 19:53
I was at the show this year and was very intrigued to see the P-40B parked out in front of the Horseman's motor-coach. Such a beautiful bird, The museums Severski AT-12 Guardsmen was accompanying it. Ive got pictures of the bird and the show, it was a great one! If there is any interest I will post a few up.

PS not trying to hijack the thread! :jump: