PDA

View Full Version : Mohawk_"No-Start"

falcon409
May 4th, 2012, 19:38
This has been a problem since before the great "Virus Attack of 2012". I was hoping that a fresh install would get things back on track, but I couldn't be that lucky. I really enjoy flying Tim's OV-1C, especially with my Hi-Def Cavenaugh livery. Only problem is, it will not crank. I've tried looking through the aircraft.cfg file for anything that looks amiss (as if I would really know what was out of sync, lol), I've gone over the start-up dozens of times (not that much to it) and I've used the keyboard keystrokes and the "autostart" function on my joystick. I've tried with the fuel pump on. . . .fuel pump off. . .generator on, generator off (you get the idea here). I've reset the fire suppressors, made sure the mixture is set to rich, just about everything and anything I can think of. . .nothing works. I've checked the aircraft failures section, nothing there. . . .I've tried starting with the default Cessna 208. . .get it running, make sure all switches are correct and then switch to the OV-1. . . .all it does is wind-down and stop.

Has anyone run into this problem with this particular airplane, or have any suggestions that I may not have tried?:isadizzy:

"Addendum: YES there is fuel in the airplane, lol"

falcon409
May 4th, 2012, 20:23
This is gonna be an airplane I'll have to trash, it would appear. Just to add to what I've already tried:
Start-up using the default DC-3, went into the switches panels and ensured that all were set correctly. Saved the flight, closed FSX. . . .restart FSX, load the flight, DC-3 purring like a kitten, select the OV-1C. . .it loads and for a few seconds I thought I had it, but then the left engine shut down. . .right engine continued to run. Went into the VC switched everything off, then restarted the right engine. . .perfect. Went to the left engine, nada, zip, nothing. . . .it just sits there. Go figure.:isadizzy:

Daube
May 5th, 2012, 00:55
This is strange, I'm using the Mohawk quite often and I don't have any problems with it (excepted the "maximum power for 30 seconds" problem after engine start...).
What if you start the default KingAir, then switch to the Mohawk -> do the engines keep running as they should ?
If yes, what if you shut them down, then try to restart them ?

hschuit
May 5th, 2012, 01:09
Ed, this sounds so familiar, almost sure it was discussed on SOH about a year ago. Anyway, Ctrl-E does not work for me, I always first set mixture to full rich with the key combo Shft-Ctrl-F4 and then do a manual start up. The only time I could not get it started was after clicking the overhead panel fuel crossfeed switch (labeled "droptank transfer"). Not sure what this switch is doing but once I clicked it, the engines would not start anymore. The starter kicks in but no ignition, seems as if the engines do not get fuel. Only after a flight reset it worked again.

Hope it helps, Henk.

BTW: The startup xml is embedded in the interior MDL files, I only use this version: OV-1B\model\OV-1B_interior.mdl, dated April 10, 2008

RobM
May 5th, 2012, 07:39
Just a note that I have the same problem with the OV1 pack: the planes load with the props spinning,
but they wind down after a couple of seconds. And nothing I do seems to re-start.

This has been happening ever since I moved everything over to my new Win 7 64 bit system; I use to have the plane flying in my old Vista 32 bit system. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, or
if some other plane I've downloaded since or during the re-install is running interference, or if somehow in the re-install I've missed something.

Anyway, if anyone knows a fix it would be appreciated, it is a nice model.

Thanks - Rob

mal998
May 5th, 2012, 09:39
My "C" appears to be working OK. If you would like, I can email you a set of my air files. Maybe that will help solve the problem. Just say the word.

Mach3DS
May 5th, 2012, 11:34
I've had this issue many times...for some reason, if you are using a custom "Default" flight, many times FSX will carry over items from a previous flight state and not get rid of them. Try deleting the default flight. Don't simply create a new one. Delete the default flt file. Do not replace it. restart FSX. FSX will build a new one. Then try loading up a flight that is new (not saved).

RobM
May 5th, 2012, 16:02
Thank you 000rick000!! That did the trick! Now the -1c loaded with both engines fully revved and ready for take off.

I should have thought of that (brain dead I guess after a week of work).

Of course now I'll have to try and re-do or fix my old default flight (because I really like it). But now that I know where the problem is, at least I know what to mess around with.

Thanks loads again! - Rob

Lionheart
May 5th, 2012, 17:07
Smart thinking!

So many times, people reuse a set flight and do not realize all the things in that 'cold and dark' startup are off and might not have the switches for those things in your next plane. Doesnt work that way. You end up with half of the things in it unable to be turned on; bulkhead fuel cutoff, LH wingtip tank on 'only', battery switch off, rear center tank on 'only', etc, etc, etc, etc, etc......

You 'can' go into the FLT file and look for things that are off and make then on, save, and reboot.. But there are so many settings in a saved FLT file.

I suggest to everyone that you NEVER save a cold and dark and use new planes to start from it. Use 'that' plane to make a cold and dark, not another, or you will have this result.

Bill

Sieggie
May 6th, 2012, 12:55
I pretty sure it is a fuel cutoff issue. Set a key to turn the first engine Fuel Switch to All on click and the second engine fuel to all on the release. This is standard for me because I have setup the default to Cold and Dark and the fuel tank switches get me every time :)

Dave

falcon409
May 6th, 2012, 13:11
Been busy so I haven't gotten back to thank everyone for the discussion. For me, deleting the default flight and just starting an entirely new "cold and Dark" for the Mohawk has been the right move. Thanks for that suggestion. Sieggie, I was wondering about the fuel selection as well and so I just made a pop-up with a fuel selector and I just check it before the startup to ensure it's set to all/both. I've had no more trouble with cold starts. Thanks all!!:applause:

Sieggie
May 7th, 2012, 09:46
I have so many planes that don't like my cold and dark default that once I see it is a fuel switch problem I create an autoload macro in FSUIPC for that function for the particular aircraft then never think of it again :)

Dave