PDA

View Full Version : memories of '73..roseville cal,railrard blewup

Daveroo
May 2nd, 2012, 19:38
on saturday a morning in 1973,i was in an argument with my father,one of the many,he and his best friend were the coaches of a little legal baseball team,,McLaughlin ford,i played first base,Johnny,the other mans son was the short stop,i was 11 years old,and NOT happy,i hated uniforms..and hated them when i was a fire fighter too,and i hated parades even more,yes hated to be in them while in the FD too,yet i allways got stuck driving an engine or the 1914 buick in the parades,well,here i was,in a horrible orange and white baseball uniform that didnt fit,about to climb into a 1965 CJ5 jeep and go be in a parade for opening day of little leage baseball.i was yellin that i didnt wanna go,dad was yellin what a dissappointment i was cause i hated baseball and football..i wanted to be in those stupid cars....i went to the garage,,,now we had a house which was built in 1969,with one of those garages that is concidered a 2 car garage,,but only wide enough for two 74 pintos....but they werent built yet...go figure huh?...it had a HUGE wooden door that lifted up from the bottom (ofcourse)....while i was in the garage..dad was in the house...and all of a sudden there was a loud,,earth shattering KABOOM ,,i stood frozen near the front of the grage by the drier,as a second round of KABOOM sounded ..about that time my dad came out in the gargae screaming bloody murder,,grabbed me by the arm and hollered at me about slamming the door,,yelled at me about throwing a tantrum....when KABOOOOM KABOOM KABOOM... he let go of me,,opened the big garage door and we went outside..looked into the sky to see HUGE black mushroom clouds coming up from behind the newcastle ridge..every nieghbor on the street was outside,this being 1973,,and with vietnam happening..people were panicing...after all we had at that time,beale,mcclellan,mather,and there was an army depto down there in sacramento..turned out to be a munitions train that had caught fire in the southern pacific railyard roseville california....there were big bombs going off....over the years people have said 5000lb...that i dont know about...but they were shaking the groound 20 miles away in auburn,and the town of antelope disappeared...back to my dad,,about the time he ws tring to decide what to do...he got the call to go be "fireman" and they took two engines from auburn city to the railyards to fight fire...he was gone three days....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx_UATGP2Qk