PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a laptop...

Ettico
April 27th, 2012, 17:15
I currently use an emachines PC. It's not bad, but has a couple of minor issues with CFS2 and related stuff, such as DXTbmp, which has robbed my of my ability to create transparencies. There are also issues with some addon aircraft. For unknown reasons, some of the addons slow the emachine down to a crawl. But no problems with other addons or any of the stockers.

So I was thinking of getting a laptop, partly for compact mobility and partly because the current crop of laptops can run circles around my old emachine.

Walmart has a low-priced Acer laptop that is much faster and more memorific than the emachine, with the added bonus of a built-in webcam. I was wondering if anyone is using one of these, and could verify whether it is suitable for CFS2. It uses Windows 7. I could spend more if I need to, but I figure why spend more if the cheapo version is good enough for my purposes.

Naismith
April 27th, 2012, 22:37
Research the Acer, my son gave me Acer 7720 his because it suffers from overheating. It is a known issue. May have been fixed with newer models of course, just a heads up.

Ettico
April 28th, 2012, 04:02
Research the Acer, my son gave me Acer 7720 his because it suffers from overheating. It is a known issue. May have been fixed with newer models of course, just a heads up.

Thanks, Naismith. I'll look into it.