PDA

View Full Version : HACKERS, I hate them

mvg3d
April 27th, 2012, 02:40
Hi Friends,
ATTENTION, my e-mail adress mvg3d..... was compromised by hackers, I'll post a new e-mail adress as soon as possible........
:censored:

mgchrist5
April 27th, 2012, 02:59
Good luck, Manuele. My email has also been hacked twice in the last several years. Very aggravating. There's a special place "down below" for hackers and spammers.

Milton Shupe
April 27th, 2012, 03:55
Manuele,

So sorry to hear that. I was surprised to receive the following yesterday from your hacker:

" I really hope you get this soon as i am writing you in distress. My family and I traveled down to Madrid on a short vacation trip and unfortunately for us the hotel we lodged got caught-up by fire. All our valuables including cash and cell phones were destroyed during the inferno and the hotel's phone line was also disconnected. I will explain details when i return. We need your financial assistance to relocate to another hotel and also arrange for our traveling documents. please let me know if you can be of any help soon.

Manuele"

Since I knew you were more than a "short trip" away from Madrid and you do not live in Spain, I assumed your email had been compromised.

I also get invitations to join your facebook page.

mvg3d
April 27th, 2012, 04:07
Manuele,

So sorry to hear that. I was surprised to receive the following yesterday from your hacker:

" I really hope you get this soon as i am writing you in distress. My family and I traveled down to Madrid on a short vacation trip and unfortunately for us the hotel we lodged got caught-up by fire. All our valuables including cash and cell phones were destroyed during the inferno and the hotel's phone line was also disconnected. I will explain details when i return. We need your financial assistance to relocate to another hotel and also arrange for our traveling documents. please let me know if you can be of any help soon.

Manuele"

Since I knew you were more than a "short trip" away from Madrid and you do not live in Spain, I assumed your email had been compromised.

I also get invitations to join your facebook page.

Hi Friends,
My new e-mail adress is now in my profile.
Milton, Yes, I really send the invitation for Facebook.
:salute::salute::salute::salute:

Blackbird686
April 27th, 2012, 06:08
Sorry to hear that your e-mail addy was hacked Manuele... it's happened to me before too. Like people have nothing better to do than to make life harder for us good guys. (Doesn't nessessarily include me...:icon_lol:).

All the best -- BB686:USA-flag:

huub vink
April 27th, 2012, 13:39
Sorry to hear your e-mail address has been hacked, but I'm glad you are okay as I also received this alarming message from Madrid.

I received your other invitation as well, but I'm one of the last dinosaurs, without facebook.

Cheers,
Huub

Ickie
April 27th, 2012, 13:53
look who i caught today trying to find a way into our server, lol, shame on you M$

Time: Fri Apr 27 14:56:36 2012 -0400
IP: 205.248.101.84 (US/United States/tide20.microsoft.com)
Hits: 6
Blocked: Permanent Block

Sample of block hits:
Apr 27 14:56:29 ns1 kernel: Firewall: *UDP_IN Blocked* IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:24:e8:6b:c7:f8:00:1e:49:d9:f3:60:08:00 SRC=205.248.101.84 DST=72.233.76.234 LEN=340 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=110 ID=20981 PROTO=UDP SPT=32809 DPT=500 LEN=320 Apr 27 14:56:29 ns1 kernel: Firewall: *UDP_IN Blocked* IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:24:e8:6b:c7:f8:00:1e:49:d9:f3:60:08:00 SRC=205.248.101.84 DST=72.233.76.234 LEN=364 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=110 ID=20982 PROTO=UDP SPT=32809 DPT=500 LEN=344 Apr 27 14:56:31 ns1 kernel: Firewall: *UDP_IN Blocked* IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:24:e8:6b:c7:f8:00:1e:49:d9:f3:60:08:00 SRC=205.248.101.84 DST=72.233.76.234 LEN=364 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=110 ID=25202 PROTO=UDP SPT=52405 DPT=500 LEN=344 Apr 27 14:56:31 ns1 kernel: Firewall: *UDP_IN Blocked* IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:24:e8:6b:c7:f8:00:1e:49:d9:f3:60:08:00 SRC=205.248.101.84 DST=72.233.76.234 LEN=340 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=110 ID=25203 PROTO=UDP SPT=52405 DPT=500 LEN=320 Apr 27 14:56:34 ns1 kernel: Firewall: *UDP_IN Blocked* IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:24:e8:6b:c7:f8:00:1e:49:d9:f3:60:08:00 SRC=205.248.101.84 DST=72.233.76.234 LEN=340 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=110 ID=1180 PROTO=UDP SPT=29139 DPT=500 LEN=320 Apr 27 14:56:34 ns1 kernel: Firewall: *UDP_IN Blocked* IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:24:e8:6b:c7:f8:00:1e:49:d9:f3:60:08:00 SRC=205.248.101.84 DST=72.233.76.234 LEN=364 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=110 ID=1181 PROTO=UDP SPT=29139 DPT=500 LEN=344

Lionheart
April 28th, 2012, 08:56
Dang....!

thats scary when the big guys are doing this to us.

rdaniell
April 28th, 2012, 09:04
Sorry to hear your e-mail address has been hacked, but I'm glad you are okay as I also received this alarming message from Madrid. I received your other invitation as well, but I'm one of the last dinosaurs, without facebook. Cheers, Huub

Hey Huub, I'm a dinosaur also.

RD

SSI01
April 28th, 2012, 12:08
I can beat that - no Facebook or cell phone!!

KellyB
April 28th, 2012, 13:48
no facebook here, either.
A cell phone, but that is all it is, a phone. It doesn't do anything but receive and send calls. Doesn't make coffee (or should I say latte?)

It's not that I'm anti tech; I just know too much about how dangerous a place the internet really is.

Blackbird686
April 29th, 2012, 04:12

RD

Aye... that makes four of us dinosaurs. I had an account at one time but when I heard that some outfits were "peering in" on folks without authorisation... I dumped it.

BB686:USA-flag:

Sascha66
April 29th, 2012, 04:22
Aye... that makes four of us dinosaurs. I had an account at one time but when I heard that some outfits were "peering in" on folks without authorisation... I dumped it.

As soon as somebody says you get everything for free you just KNOW its going to cost you!

In this case you pay with your private data.

I decided to never join Facebook when I got mails from them asking we to join because these people whom I know were already in! Amazingly 3 of 4 they cited had a connection to me.

One was my brother, 2 through conferences and a 4th I didn't know.

How could they know? With 4 the connection was really weak, so they must have searched the web randomly for cross connections or something!

Really freaked me out.:pop4:

SSI01
April 29th, 2012, 04:34
My wife says I always take the negative lookout, while I insist it's actually reality I'm dealing with.

The best examples I can think of have to do with those TV ads asking you who's searching the web for you - an old flame? I say it could be something even more exciting than that - like perverts, lawyers, government agencies like the IRS, process servers, bored NSA employees at that new center in Utah surfing the web on a slow night, enemies you had in high school who just can't let an old slight die, stalkers; besides, if it's an old flame, shouldn't you be leaving that alone, especially if you're the husband?:icon_eek:

Lots of embarassing stories there, and folks just can't leave it in their mental trash where it belongs!

Blackbird686
April 29th, 2012, 08:24
My wife says I always take the negative lookout, while I insist it's actually reality I'm dealing with.

The best examples I can think of have to do with those TV ads asking you who's searching the web for you - an old flame? I say it could be something even more exciting than that - like perverts, lawyers, government agencies like the IRS, process servers, bored NSA employees at that new center in Utah surfing the web on a slow night, enemies you had in high school who just can't let an old slight die, stalkers; besides, if it's an old flame, shouldn't you be leaving that alone, especially if you're the husband?:icon_eek:

Lots of embarassing stories there, and folks just can't leave it in their mental trash where it belongs!

Gee, SSI01, Your wife and my wife must know each other! :icon_lol:. Aside from that you really hit the perverbial "Nail on the Head" regarding all the folks out there with prying eyeballs!

Yossarian1943
April 29th, 2012, 15:08

RD

Also a dinosaur...:icon29:

hawkeye52
April 29th, 2012, 18:09
No Facebook, No Twitter, No Smartphone. Only a Dumbphone with texting blocked. No GPS...except in FS9 :icon_lol:

Oh, almost forgot -- No Stress!!! :jump:

- H52

Wing_Z
April 30th, 2012, 00:32
No FacebookUmm...what's a Facebook?? :sheep:

italflyer
April 30th, 2012, 03:31
Umm...what's a Facebook?? :sheep:

That's the book on top of my face when I was reading late at nite on and just fell asleep, isn't it?

Mick
April 30th, 2012, 04:16
...I decided to never join Facebook when I got mails from them asking we to join because these people whom I know were already in! Amazingly 3 of 4 they cited had a connection to me...

...How could they know? With 4 the connection was really weak, so they must have searched the web randomly for cross connections or something!

Well, some of those social networking sites, when you join, their software goes through your e-mail program and sends invitations in your name to everyone in your address book - just like a virus does! I don't know if Facebook does it that way, but I wouldn't be surprised, since I'm constantly getting invites from there. I've trained my e-mail program to recognize anything from Facebook and all of those other sites as spam, and to delete it at the server level without downloading it, but I see the invites when I check my e-mail on my service's web mail page.

It seems that hardly a week goes by when there isn't something in the news about some new privacy or security issue at one of those sites, and it seems that Facebook is the one most often mentioned.

I read an article last week about how many employers, when interviewing prospective new hires, demand the applicant's Facebook user name AND Password, so they can not only check out your public information, but also access your private stuff.

I guess I'm another dinosaur. I have no account on Facebook or any other social networking site, no Twitter, no cell phone, none of that stuff. And I don't miss it. I can think of exactly twice in my life when it would've been handy to have a cell phone, and never when I've thought it would be handy to have any of that other stuff.

Aside from the privacy and security issues, the thing I wonder about is how people have time for that stuff. If I had accounts on any of those sites, I wouldn't have any time to use them. And I'm retired! How do people who work do that stuff? Do they do it all at work, on their emploter's time? Or do they come home from work, get on the computer, and not get off of it until they go to bed?

KellyB
April 30th, 2012, 05:11
Well, some of those social networking sites, when you join, their software goes through your e-mail program and sends invitations in your name to everyone in your address book - just like a virus does! I don't know if Facebook does it that way, but I wouldn't be surprised, since I'm constantly getting invites from there. I've trained my e-mail program to recognize anything from Facebook and all of those other sites as spam, and to delete it at the server level without downloading it, but I see the invites when I check my e-mail on my service's web mail page.

It seems that hardly a week goes by when there isn't something in the news about some new privacy or security issue at one of those sites, and it seems that Facebook is the one most often mentioned.

I read an article last week about how many employers, when interviewing prospective new hires, demand the applicant's Facebook user name AND Password, so they can not only check out your public information, but also access your private stuff.

I guess I'm another dinosaur. I have no account on Facebook or any other social networking site, no Twitter, no cell phone, none of that stuff. And I don't miss it. I can think of exactly twice in my life when it would've been handy to have a cell phone, and never when I've thought it would be handy to have any of that other stuff.

Aside from the privacy and security issues, the thing I wonder about is how people have time for that stuff. If I had accounts on any of those sites, I wouldn't have any time to use them. And I'm retired! How do people who work do that stuff? Do they do it all at work, on their emploter's time? Or do they come home from work, get on the computer, and not get off of it until they go to bed?

Amen, Mick! And yes, it is a constant thing with those under 50 or so. Look about as you go to a mall or some other place with lots of young people and the iphone android whatever is always up to their ear and their mouths are going a mile a minute. They are also utterly unaware of their surroundings, so it's up to you to avoid collisions. I like to play "chicken" with them occasionally, except in chicken, both parties are aware of what's going on.

Alas, I was born too late. Back to steam locomotives and the telegram! And DC-3's, 4's and 6's and Connies. And rare steaks and smokes, too, while I'm at it.

alastairmonk
April 30th, 2012, 06:07
Hi,

I resisted joining FB until a US friend was very ill and the only way to keep up with what was going on was from what his wife posted there.

Can't say I've had any problems in the 6 months to date, but then everything is nailed down to "Friends only" (and I only have 16 "friends" rather than the 100s of "pseudo-friends" that our "younger" members seem to have !)

One thing - it seems a useful medium to share my photos from Duxford !

Alastair

Tom Clayton
April 30th, 2012, 14:57
As soon as somebody says you get everything for free you just KNOW its going to cost you!

In this case you pay with your private data.

I decided to never join Facebook when I got mails from them asking we to join because these people whom I know were already in! Amazingly 3 of 4 they cited had a connection to me.

One was my brother, 2 through conferences and a 4th I didn't know.

How could they know? With 4 the connection was really weak, so they must have searched the web randomly for cross connections or something!

Really freaked me out.:pop4:

FB has a service they call "Friend Finder." You provide them with your web-based email password, which they swear they don't keep, and then they use that to help you connect with anyone in your address book that's willing. It would be just about useless on my webmail, since most of the contacts are either corporate, or are already on FB.

FB can actually be somewhat safe if you tweak your privacy settings to where you're not sharing every little detail of your life with the entire planet. :isadizzy:

pfflyers
May 1st, 2012, 09:52
I don't have any social media accounts (except my SOH membership).

Back when I was working I was amazed at the extent to which some young (and not so young) people lived thru their smartphones and Facebook pages.

People would be texting constantly, I couldn't imagine having that much to say. Others were updating their Facebook every five minutes (on the company's computers).

I guess I'm too old to want to have my every thought and action put on public display for all time. I don't even do email any more than absolutely necessary.

Mick
May 2nd, 2012, 04:17
... I was amazed at the extent to which some young (and not so young) people lived thru their smartphones and Facebook pages ...I couldn't imagine having that much to say... I guess I'm too old to want to have my every thought and action put on public display for all time...

Something that surprises me is that they think everyone's interested in reading it all! 99% of it must be self-indulgent dreck. If they bother to read other people's stuff, they must know it's mostly dreck, and you'd think they'd tumble to the idea that their own stuff can't be much better. And if they don't read other people's dreck, why would they think anyone reads theirs?

I participate in this forum and in a support group for folks whose cats are afflicted with vaccine Associated Sarcoma, where I made numerous friends when a kitty of mine was battling that nasty cancer, and where I hang out to offer assistance to those newly stricken. Both here and there I seldom begin a new thread; I mostly join conversations that others started, and only a very small percentage of those. Even at that, I often wonder if I'm arrogant to think anyone might read my posts.

I don't know what surprises me more - that people post so much personal stuff on so many sites, or that they think anyone cares about it.

hawkeye52
May 2nd, 2012, 05:54
C'mon, Mick! Surely you know what all the social media is about.

It's what afflicts all those born since 1970.

It's ALL ABOUT ME!:jump:

- H52

alastairmonk
May 2nd, 2012, 06:12
Hi,

I think its a sign of the times we live in, and the changing nature of communications. Go back a couple of centuries, and (so I understand) it was two weeks before news that the British had won the Battle of Waterloo filtered back here. For most of last century people were quite happy to send letters by post, where it might be a week between sending a letter, having it read and the recipient sending a reply.

In recent years Email appeared, and people got used to getting a response within hours or even minutes. Now with Instant Messaging people are beginning to expect near-instant responses. Check other Forums where posters start to complain if they haven't had a response within an hour or two (regardless of the realities of Time Zones.)

I attend the theatre regularly, and these days it seems difficult for audience members to actually get through half a play without flipping on their phone to text/email/twitter etc. Given the advent of Smartphones with nice bright screens, this can be extremely annoying ! Obviously the youngsters now use their phones for just about everything BUT making phone calls !

Alastair

Mick
May 3rd, 2012, 04:09
... Go back a couple of centuries, and (so I understand) it was two weeks before news that the British had won the Battle of Waterloo filtered back here...Alastair

Now you've got me going. I recently read a great book ("Iron Tears: America's Battle for Freedom, Britain's Quagmire" by Stanley Weintraub) about the British experience of the American Revolution. One of the many interesting points it made was how George III and his ministers attempted to micro-manage the war, very much the way Lyndon Johnson and Robert McNamara tried to micro-manage the Vietnam War - in a time when it took anywhere from two to four months for information to cross the Atlantic, and the same time for a response to go the other way!

I mention this in response to the point you made about how communications have evolved, but if you're interested in history, I'll add a strong recommendation for that book.

alastairmonk
May 4th, 2012, 05:37
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the recommendation !

Alastair

Mick
May 5th, 2012, 04:21
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the recommendation !

Alastair

The book's fairly recent and still in print, readily available from the big on-line booksellers. I'm sure you'll find it easily and enjoy it greatly!