PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Challenge

GarryJSmith
April 20th, 2012, 04:13
Hi Good People,

A bit of something different for you all to enjoy.

How about a Ford Project enhanced airport way out in the Pacific at Tarawa in Kiribati.

Then add a bit of a flying challenge mix into the equation.

Firstly a Large Static object Aircraft Carrier - USS Ford Tri-Motor - wooden 1350 Foot deck - big enough to land a Ford Tri-Motor, just.

There is even enough room to turn around on the deck if you move to one side and then directional brake into a 180 turn.

Second, a small Static object Aircraft Carrier - USS Langley - wooden 850 foot deck - model created by modifying Paul Clawson's Langley model (with permission) to be a Scenery Object.

The Langley is a serious challenge to get a Ford Tri-Motor to do a "successful" landing I achieve it once, out of many tries, by stall dropping onto the very beginning of the deck and holding the brakes on judiciously with some added directional wiggling with the brakes on.

Of course the Tarawa scenery is just not two carriers - a comprehensive runway, port facility and a stack of static ships scattered around to add eye candy.

It contains four new scenery object models - a Liberty Ship, a Battleship and two Carriers.

This scenery pack is now available over at the http://www.ford-tri-motor.net site.

Regards and happy simming.

Garry J. Smith and Edward C. Moore

Sunny9850
April 20th, 2012, 10:46
That is certainly a nice looking bit of scenery there Gary. Once I get comfortable with the Tri-Motors on the carriers I might just have to try squeezing a very light L-749 on to the longer one.
With max reverse thrust I made a couple successful no-damage landings on a 1500ft strip in Idaho in the past. Of course the deck-island might be that "bridge too far"

Thanks for all your wonderful additions to our favorite pastime :applause:

Cheers
Stefan

Jagdflieger
April 20th, 2012, 11:32
New scenery at Tarawa would be nice! With the WW II US warships in the harbor, it should compliment my Silver Wings theme in FS 9.

By the way, it looks like the "USS Ford Tri-Motor" is the long-lost-last unit of the Essex Class CVs. Rumor had it that is was sunk in Operation Crossroads (Bikini Atol), but it looks like she was somehow smuggled out before the big nuclear blasts.

I guess I'll start staging my Tri-Motor accross the Pacific to Tarawa. It's going to be a long flight from SEATAC, but by the time the new scenery posts, I should be just about there.