PDA

View Full Version : Converting a turbo to normally aspirated?

Aztec
April 16th, 2012, 22:49
G'day all

I've had the Dreamfleet 310 for many years now and it's still one of my favourite GA add-ons. However one thing I've always wished for is to get rid of the turbos and get it back to the standard normally aspirated version. I've had a tamper with it myself with no luck; not sure whether I should be modifying the acft.cfg or the air file, the latter of which is probably a bit beyond me. I'm keen to see if it can be done as I've recently renewed my multi-engined instrument rating and the non-turboed 310 would be a good platform to practice on (actually all my initial instrument training was on a 310L).
I was wandering whether anyone would be willing to give it a go, or failing that maybe give me a little direction in how to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Az

Willy
April 17th, 2012, 09:51
If the engine isn't supercharged, in the aircraft.cfg, change the critical altitude in the piston engine section to 0. You might have to drop the max MP a bit too. The aircraft.cfg will override the .air file so you won't need to change it.

pfflyers
April 17th, 2012, 10:10
These values are from the config of a popular normally-aspirated Cessna 185:

turbocharged=0
max_design_mp=0
min_design_mp=10
critical_altitude=0
emergency_boost_type=0
emergency_boost_mp_offset=0.0
emergency_boost_gain_offset=0.0

If you change your config to match these values you should get rid of your turbo's.

Aztec
April 18th, 2012, 01:52
Thanks guys, that seemed to do the trick. The performance of the old 310 is now as anaemic as I remember it was (I still remember the single-engined go-arounds where the instructor had to give us the other engine back for fear of spearing into someone's backyard). While I was playing around in there I changed the horsepower back to the standard 260 (although I'm not sure if this has any effect), and increased the fuel flow scalar to 1.2 so we get redline on take-off.

My next question is; does altering any of these parameters have an effect on sound, ie is a sound file referenced to a particular manifold pressure or RPM. Or are the application of engine sounds relative to a percentage power, eg full power full noise. I just wondered because now I have limited the manifold pressure I could have sworn it sounded quieter, which wouldn't be the case in reality with the RPM determining the noise.

Cheers

Az

Willy
April 18th, 2012, 09:16
I've heard that all the HP line does is increase and lower the sound. More HP = louder. Less HP = quieter. When I've tweaked one for power, it's mostly been to the MAP line. RPM I just set to what the engine historically called for.