PDA

View Full Version : teson1 flying Cape to Cape in the Mew Gull

teson1
April 16th, 2012, 13:38
Bee ? Mew ? Bee ? Mew ? ...

Selection of plane really was a hard choice.

After all the adventures we've been through together it almost feels like cheating on my dear (if sometimes temperamental) Bee.

But first thing I had to do when learning about the upcoming race to cape town was to get Alex Henshaw's "The flight of the Mew Gull" (and Victor Smith's Open cockpit over Africa).

DR'ing in 39 hours from London to Cape Town in one rush, and back, fastest ever, through day and night, thunderstorms, clouds, fatigue, horrific airstrips, over deserts and jungle.
What an amazing feat of skill and endurance!
Inspirational.

So I've finally settled on flying the Percival Mew gull by Oldliner52 (Michel Migaud).

And she's a beautiful girl as well. Now let's see how she flies.

Taking off from Hammerfest for Mo i Rana.

Don't wait for me with the party. I'm taking my time. I'll probably take a few months or more.

Btw, using ASV6.5 for weather.

Willy
April 16th, 2012, 13:43
After all the adventures we've been through together it almost feels like cheating on my dear (if sometimes temperamental) Bee.

Welcome to the fun Gunter!

I know that feeling. I started out flying another aircraft, but somehow not flying something like this in the Twin Beech just didn't seem right, so I restarted with it.

teson1
April 16th, 2012, 16:20
The Mew handles well, and it was a beautiful flight through the fjell, with just a few clouds, but it seems I should have taken a few more lessons before jumping in.
The Mew Gull needs some repairs. Crash on landing (though it wasn't that bad...) .
Nevermind, I'll spend a few days here until replacement parts have been shipped in.

Penalties:
1st crash: 1 hour
Emergency airstrip: 3 hours

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?flight=pugkbRZ4Ua5Bq9cE67qH3R8Nc

teson1
April 16th, 2012, 16:27
Hi Willy,
glad to join SOH for another outstanding event !

Dil52
April 17th, 2012, 11:20
The Mew handles well, and it was a beautiful flight through the fjell, with just a few clouds, but it seems I should have taken a few more lessons before jumping in.
The Mew Gull needs some repairs. Crash on landing (though it wasn't that bad...) .
Nevermind, I'll spend a few days here until replacement parts have been shipped in.

Penalties:
1st crash: 1 hour
Emergency airstrip: 3 hours

Wow, I agree with Willy, it's nice to see you here at this Cape to Cape race Gunter!:jump:

I too had a simular circumstance with a new plane........well at least it was new to me.

The Gamma 2A is a handful as well, but after (hand) flying her for well over 2000 miles I've quite adapted to her iIdiosyncrasiess and now she's like flying the C172.

After recieveing some help from a couple of nice pilots here, is to pass on the same advice as they gave me.
That is, if you just declare a crash and go back to Hammerfest and restart, you'll only incur a 1 hour penalty, which is by the rules of course.
That way you don't need to declare your flying time plus the 4 hours of penalty.

I'm sitting on the beautiful Mediterranean on the north coast Africa getting ready to take on that continent's weather conditions and climate changes.

Good luck with the repairs on the Bee. :wavey:

salt_air
April 17th, 2012, 18:08
Yeah ... can't have any extra long layovers in the "poly vue Frenchie" there guy ...

Double time (when you can) .... over 10000 NM the long way around.

Good to see another familiar "Old Schooler" ..... Good Luck Sir!

Nice plane!

teson1
April 22nd, 2012, 13:31
Thanks for the good wishes ! I need all the luck I can get.

Talk about a crash. Just a few scratches, really.
Repairs just took an hour.

Fuel situation looks poor here though. None on the airport. Locals tell me there's some at the harbor, but I'll loose at least 3 hours refuelling here.

Now, instead of loosing still more time I'll try to push on to Trondheim with the remaining fuel on board.

I have a small problem though... this genius didn't have this idea before, so I've just come here with my emergency fuel. 12.5 gal remaining. No way will this last till Trondheim at full throttle.
It may work out if I throttle well back and lean out.
Otherwise I'll have to deviate to Namsos ENNM. Can't be much longer to find fuel there than here.

Another problem is that it looks like I'll have to fly through a cold front with pretty poor visibility that passed through here earlier. Trondheilm is still clear. Hope it holds till I arrive.

I better get going.

teson1
April 22nd, 2012, 14:43
A black hole opened up on the computer screen... then silence...
My computer decided to shut down in mid-flight. Just turned itself off...
:a1451:
I was pretty well poised to make it to Trondheim.
Well, next time.

MM
April 22nd, 2012, 17:40
Gosh!

Well, better luck next time...we'll be pulling for you.

teson1
April 23rd, 2012, 12:07
Giving it another go.

Leaving Mo i Rana for Trondheim.

teson1
April 23rd, 2012, 14:42
Perfect weather with just a few clouds. Nice views of the mountains and fjords.

Didn't refuel at ENRA. Took off with the 12.5 gal that remained from the flight from Hammerfest (so I guess I don't incur the 3 hr emergency airstrip delay).
No problem to make the distance by leaning out and throttling slightly back.
Not even stressful by keeping track of fuel consumed vs distance flown on a fuel consumption chart.
Landed with 2 gal in the tank. Plenty!

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?flight=vyCff8EmKw8S7BzM7qp50fef8UE

robert41
April 23rd, 2012, 14:56
Good show teson.

MM
April 24th, 2012, 03:51
Superb piloting, Gunter.

salt_air
April 24th, 2012, 15:50
A good save Gunter .... nice work indeed.

teson1
April 25th, 2012, 13:57
Not sure till where I'll go today. Let's see.
This time I'm taking fuel to last me to Berlin. :) You never know...
Thanks. It was fun trying to push the plane to give the maximum with what was available. :)

teson1
April 25th, 2012, 15:28
:pop4:
The black hole got me again.
Computer shut down. :(

teson1
May 3rd, 2012, 13:45
Giving it another try.
Hope that overheating engine err GPU will let me get to Oslo this time.

teson1
May 3rd, 2012, 15:21
Flight went well, though I had to watch the temps. Went up to 94°C (GPU, not the engine).
And crashed again on touchdown. That Mew Gull really has a finicky gear.
Ok, touchdown at 300 fpm is pretty rough, but it should still get down in one piece, not crash...
Anyway, doesn't look serious. I guess it'll just take 3 hours or so to fix.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/editpost.php?do=updatepost&postid=709369

teson1
May 5th, 2012, 13:10
Heading on to Kopenhagen.
Edit: Restart.

teson1
May 5th, 2012, 14:42
Down in one piece this time.
But it really was a greaser.
Uneventful flight, nice weather.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?flight=qgFh8lSeZWHkAoG4ePd07FxAS4

salt_air
May 5th, 2012, 15:51
Don't take any wooden nickels Gunter .... :wiggle:

Good Luck!

teson1
May 5th, 2012, 16:17
Uneventful flight again.
Nice weather, started to rain shortly before Berlin.

Strange - again no crash...
After all, maybe these wooden nickels bring luck ?

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?flight=lV0vxYM1gWzXLaeurIVnwNHvxLo

Moses03
May 6th, 2012, 11:16
Hooray for the wooden nickels!

teson1
May 6th, 2012, 14:38
On to Bolzano.
Handflying.
Good for that. I've become lazy these last legs.

teson1
May 6th, 2012, 17:35
I knew desaster was lurking when shortly after reaching the alps the blurries raised their ugly head, getting worse and worse... GPU at 92°C. On finals to Bolzano the gauges disappeared, just weren't drawn any more. Set down, rolled out , Duenna green. And then FS crashed. Phew, that was tight.

Beautiful, interesting flight. Quite some clouds and turbulence kept me busy.

Bonus:
Two (2) hour bonus for landing at Bolzano (leg hand-flown).
Fifteen (15) minutes hand-flying bonus for a leg to Bolzano LIPB from a designated fueling stop.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?flight=CnCf3APIHlmo57cRmtL7JJUwA

oldpropfan
May 6th, 2012, 17:51
Glad it held out long enough to finish your flight, any idea why the gpu is running so hot? That plane is quite a handfull if I remember right from the last time I tried flying it, good luck with the rest of your flights.

teson1
May 8th, 2012, 14:45
Thanks.
I've got a GF 9600M GT card in my laptop. Seems these are running hot.
I've cleaned the air outlets with canned air. Seems to help a bit. Let's see if it holds.

teson1
May 8th, 2012, 15:02
Couldn't access SOH when I started the flight, so here is the result.
Quite interesting. Couldn't climb enough to clear the first ridge out of Bolzano, so was forced fly south of Ortler mountain. Slight elevation of pulse with quite a lot of clouds around. Once Ortler passed could head directly to Interlaken via Sustenpass.

Bonus:
15 min handflying LIPB - LSMI
15 min for staying below 12000 ft

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?flight=T03NNAnoS39PLJZmkKWmn65kiZc

teson1
May 8th, 2012, 15:03
Heading on to Marseille.

Edit: FS crashed 35 nm from Marseille.
Not the GPU temperature this time, only went to 72°C.
:banghead: