PDA

View Full Version : "double cockpit"; "double panel"

hawkeye52
April 14th, 2012, 14:53
I've searched the Forums, but have drawn a blank. There was a thread here -- maybe a couple of years ago -- on how to deal with a panel that remains in the sim from a prior aircraft.

I deleted the FS9.cfg but that did not fix the problem. Can anyone offer a solution, please?

- H52

aeromed202
April 14th, 2012, 15:31
When it's happened to me turned out that the plane just loaded had a panel aliased to something that wasn't there, like a converter fail to an older fs2002 source aircraft so it keeps this and that from the previous panel. Once I added a panel to the new aircraft proper it never happened again. Same thing happens if a sound is not forthcoming either, the sim retains the sound from the previous aircraft. I think that's what's going on there.

hawkeye52
April 14th, 2012, 16:58
Thanks for the reply, Aeromed. I'll check it out and report back.

- H52

aeromed202
April 14th, 2012, 17:55
Another thought, panel-ists can verify this, is when I would try to install a different panel sometimes bits of the original would just hang around. I figure they were embedded in other texture files or something.

pfflyers
April 15th, 2012, 09:46
I think Aeromed's first response is probably the most likely reason for this issue.

I am always moving aircraft in and out of my "active" aircraft folder, and I've got a bad habit of renaming aircraft folders to make them easier for me to keep track of.

Those things cause havoc with aliased panels and sounds, now that I have a big enough HD I try not to alias anything.

hawkeye52
April 16th, 2012, 19:23
Yes, fellas, that is exactly what happened: I renamed the "host" aircraft and neglected to accordingly rename the alias in the panel and sound CFGs. That was the fix and it would have been obvious...except for THE REST OF THE STORY, which I now present because it is a technical curiosity.

You see, my error of not changing the aliases went undetected because after renaming the "host" aircraft, I flew all the dependent sisters several times and all had the proper panels and sounds. All this with the original (unchanged) panel and sound CFGs. Only after I accidentally hit the POWER key on my keyboard -- which crashed FS9 -- did the "double panel" (actually, the default Cessna panel and sound) appear. The Sim crash was a red herring which had me focusing on it as the cause of the problem when in reality it had nothing to do with it. The real mystery is why did I have the correct panel and sound when they were aliased to, effectively, a non-existent aircraft?

The foregoing is presented for those obsessive techies that must have an answer. I was once like that, but no more. At my age, life is too short to spend it on immutable mysteries. I got it fixed and that's all I needed. :icon_lol:

- H52

pfflyers
April 16th, 2012, 21:30
Glad you got it sorted out.

I used to do that to myself all the time.

It is a mystery as to why the change was not picked up by the sim sooner.