PDA

View Full Version : Question about dual monitors

jtspectra2
December 24th, 2008, 02:15
ok , heres my setup. i have 2 Samsung 24 inch screens and i want to use them both for FSX

i have my desktop extended to my second monitor, but i cant seem to figure out how to get FSX to span across both screens.

im the biggest noob when it comes to dual monitor setups, and i cant seem to figure out how to do it. :banghead:

Any help would be appreciated.

Im running
Windows Vista 64bit
and GTX280's in SLI

if that helps anyone

Thank you in advance.

-Jtspectra2

Nick C
December 24th, 2008, 02:43
I could be wrong, but I think you set this up in the display properties either using your graphics card's software or using Vista's display properties which is quickly reached by right clicking the desktop, selecting personalise and then display settings.

hey_moe
December 24th, 2008, 02:58
When you go into the properties of your video card does it show both monitors. If it does you can click clone,separate..ect..ect. First thing that got to happen is windows needs to see both monitors first.

jtspectra2
December 24th, 2008, 03:38
Yes , my display properties show both of my monitors , and the only option that i have is to extend or clone.

i use both of my monitors for my windows desktop, so windows is not having any issues seeing the monitors, its when i get into FSX , or any game at that , one monitor is used for the game ,the other is black.

i just need to know if theres a setting maybe ingame ? or a program i can use ? or a setting in windows vista that i missed ? that could lead me to have both my screens in use

only way i can do it now is if i create a new window in FSX and try to align the cockpit, but iv seen people use both monitors as one, and thats what im tryin to accomplish :running::running:

Thank You again.

6297J
December 24th, 2008, 03:59
I think you will need this - http://www.matrox.com/graphics/surroundgaming/en/games/zone/flightsim/ if you want to extend the same window in any game over two or more monitors.

As it is you can undock views or gauges and drag them across to the second screen but that's about it. No way around it as far as I know. I wish there was, I've been running two monitors for a long time now and I occasionally drag the GPS across if I get lost. I really wish FSNAV was available for FSX!

harleyman
December 24th, 2008, 04:03
I see you made it here...

I use two monitors,but differently...My second one I will drag all my things over like GPS....ATC...Auto-Pilots....guages in use...etc.....

jtspectra2
December 24th, 2008, 05:25
ya HM, thats what i currently do, i just wanted to use both for cockpit view though . :jump:

Reddog
December 24th, 2008, 05:27
I see you made it here...

I use two monitors,but differently...My second one I will drag all my things over like GPS....ATC...Auto-Pilots....guages in use...etc.....

This is what I do too. I have a 18" for the sim and a 15" that I put all my popups on

PhineasT
December 24th, 2008, 05:46
It's a Vista limitation. You can doi it in XP, but not in VIsta.

gera
December 24th, 2008, 05:51
I use two 19" monitors in "extended" mode which gives me a 38" view. In this view you canīt use the 2D panel just VP. Your Card driver control panel has this option.

smilo
December 24th, 2008, 06:09
at the AvSim Conference near Seattle, there was a guy who had a 4 (or was it 6) monitor set up. each monitor had a different view.
as I recall, he was using a separate vid card for each monitor.
I don't know what OS he was using or, for that matter, much else about it. except that it worked and was way out of my price range.
I don't mean to torture you, but what you want can be done if you have the green and the tenacity to stick with it.

jtspectra2
December 24th, 2008, 07:22
at the AvSim Conference near Seattle, there was a guy who had a 4 (or was it 6) monitor set up. each monitor had a different view.
as I recall, he was using a separate vid card for each monitor.
I don't know what OS he was using or, for that matter, much else about it. except that it worked and was way out of my price range.
I don't mean to torture you, but what you want can be done if you have the green and the tenacity to stick with it.

Well like i said i have 2 video cards in SLI , so if you or anyone else has anymore info, besides having to buy that special converter it would be helpful

:bs:

SkippyBing
December 24th, 2008, 07:54
One quick and dirty way would be to run FSX Windowed rather than full screen (Alt + Enter swaps between the two I think) then just resize the window across both screens.
Otherwise with nVidia cards there should be an option somewhere in the nVidia utilities to work as if it was one big screen, rather than two next to each other, i.e. it thinks the desktop is 2560x1024 rather than 1280x1024 or whatever. Unfortunately I'm on my laptop at the moment so I can't draw up the settings, also not sure if it works in Vista but as it's an nVidia rather than a Windows setting I don't see why not.

HighGround22
December 27th, 2008, 15:03
Not to play the "Oh yeah? Well I have . . ." game, but it may be instructive for some if I tell you what I've done, monitor-wise:

I have a 24" "main monitor" on which I have my primary FSX display.

Above it sits a 22" "secondary monitor" on which I display GPS, TeamSpeak, FS Host Client, et cetera.

Off to one side, I have a second computer. It's a little "Shuttle" (about the size of a shoe box -- they're inexpensive and problem free -- just don't plan on making a powerhouse out of it) with a 19" monitor. On this second computer I run FS9 with only one default aircraft in the Aircraft folder, and all the sliders to dumbed-down, so it loads-up in mere seconds.

After loading FS9, I "P" pause it, since I don't intend to use that sim, but rather FS-Nav, so I hit F9 and leave it there. Now I have FS-Nav on one screen, with FSX on another, and all my extraneous boxes on the third monitor.

This works very well, when I fly online with my buds -- I can see everybody at a glance on FS-Nav, and everything else I want is on my other two monitors.

Not to go into boring details here, but I find it nifty when I want to fly cross country by myself, I run FS Host (the actual free Hosting program) on the FS9 computer. Then I connect FS-Nav straight into FS Host, and over on my FSX computer, I hook-in with the usual FS Host Client. With this setup, I can follow my aircraft bug on FS-Nav for the "Big Picture", while using the GPS for the "Local Picture". Works a treat!

Btw: Reddog was the genius who suggested this setup to me; I'm just the dummy who wired it together.

-Jon
-------

Reddog
December 27th, 2008, 17:09
I should have added to my above post.I alsohave another cp just a refurbished IBM 2.0 that I have FS9 on with FSNav installed. That also runs the server for the club. I then have a switcher for the small monitor that allows me to switch the the monitor,keyboard and mouse between the 2 cp's. So I switch to the IBM fire up FS9 pause it and bring up FSNav and connect it to our server them switch back to the sim cp and fly. Any time I want to see FSNav I just switch over to the other cp.

ananda
December 28th, 2008, 00:25
i use both of my monitors for my windows desktop, so windows is not having any issues seeing the monitors, its when i get into FSX , or any game at that , one monitor is used for the game ,the other is black.
This will happen if you run FSX in full-screen mode. Hit Alt <ALT>Enter to switch to windowed mode and drag the corner to the other screen.