PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo?

nik112
April 8th, 2012, 22:22
Hi all,

I'm bringing up an old question, because I searched but couldn't find anything. Whats the solution when a torpedo passes under a ship, rather than hitting it?

cheers:santahat:

misson
April 9th, 2012, 02:49
if u have a DPeditor make the boxes of that sheep more greater (deeper).

Shadow Wolf 07
April 9th, 2012, 03:46
...or launch from further away = 500 or more meters. http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/Pechora07/?action=view&current=TorpedoRun.mp4

kwb737
April 9th, 2012, 11:35
if u have a DPeditor make the boxes of that sheep more greater (deeper).

Can you recommend a good DPeditor to use?

Cody Coyote
April 9th, 2012, 12:04
DPED by Yusaku Homma is the one to get. It is the gold standard for editing DP files.

Here's a link to it over at Simviation: http://www.simviation.com/cfs2utilities1.htm

misson
April 9th, 2012, 13:22
In Fact, the shallow depth in sheeps is a original dp design problem (talking about default sheep stock of CFS2), :confused:!

Shadow Wolf 07
April 9th, 2012, 13:40
In Fact, the shallow depth in sheeps is a original dp design problem (talking about default sheep stock of CFS2), :confused:!

I'm not gonna say "never" but I can't remember ever seeing torpedoes, dropped by AI aircraft, go under their targets, stock or otherwise. I have seen them miss a turning ship though.

bearcat241
April 9th, 2012, 14:30
I'm not gonna say "never" but I can't remember ever seeing torpedoes, dropped by AI aircraft, go under their targets, stock or otherwise. I have seen them miss a turning ship though.

And that's cuz the AI do it spot-on through the sim's AI programming. When targeting a static or straight moving ship, they drop to the correct altitude, approach angles and speed prior to the using the optimal release point from target. Human error plays a big part in most torpedo misses. Although i agree that many of the ships' boxes have unrealistically shallow drafts, i've never altered the damage boxes on any ship dp -- stock or otherwise -- to accomplish good torpedo hits. I just took a long look at how the AI did their runs and learned from that. I then used the sim's default dive bombing and ship strafing training modules to practice. Using the strafing module is pretty straightforward for this kind of thing. Your perfect approach is already set up when you load. You just have to select the right plane with torpedo besides the default Wildcat. But with the dive bombing module, i load a torpedo bomber, steer well away from the carrier target, drop low and began an approach from a good distance away to set it up correctly. I just love getting all that flak in my face as i hold an agonizingly slow 150 mph approach at 50 feet off the deck, watching that target grow in my windshield as i wait for the perfect release point!... :icon_eek:

Rule of thumb: if you're higher that the deck of your target when you release, chances are high you'll get a "pass under", especially if you're moving faster than 150. That's because just like in real life, if you're too high, the sim will drop the fish hard and sink it well before it begins to surface and run at striking depth. The deck of the average WWII carrier, cruiser and/or battleship is gonna be around 60-65 feet above the waterline, destroyers and transports maybe 35-45. Regardless of which you attack, you need to maintain deck level altitude and find yourself actually having to pop up OVER the target after release. This will prevent the fish from dropping hard and sinking/running below the draft.

But like Shadow Wolf said, missing evading ships is another thing altogether. The AI don't compensate for that very well, but a human can.

nik112
April 9th, 2012, 22:22
Thanks guys for the replies

Bearcat: amazing lecture:icon29:

cheers

Shadow Wolf 07
April 10th, 2012, 04:22
Well said Bearcat241: If you look closely at the video I posted, I was just under 500m from the target, at 48-50 ft altitude, doing 160 knots at release.