PDA

View Full Version : Strange Anomaly @ N40 1.54 W89 7.39

Devildog73
April 7th, 2012, 02:44
In FS9 there is a raised airstrip here in the middle of Illinois farm fields, which looks to be at least 50 ft higher than surrounding elevation.
Google earth shows an old abandoned air strip of Hayenges Farms that can still be seen from the air, but it is now a corn or soy field with no runway and no elevation above surrounding terrain.

I found it when I was flying from Sprigfield to Shelbyville, touch and go to Decatur, touch and go to Lincoln, touch and go to full stop at Central Illinois Regional. I was going to T&G CIRA and go to Peoria and back to Springfield, but ran out of time before honey do errands.

Also, when I landed and parked at general aviation parking, I had a square piece of grey floating above the parking area about 50ft up. No supports, just hanging in the air above my plane and the semi-transparent AIs parked there......

Strange.

Mick
April 7th, 2012, 04:37
FS9 has a number of glitches like that. For example, there's an airport somewhere in Arkansas with a field elevation thousands of feet below the surrounding terrain, so the airport sits at the bottom of a deep hole. That sort of thing probably comes from typos when the developers at MS entered the AFCAD information.

I believe the fix is to open the airport in AFCAD and adjust the elevations of the runways, ramps and taxiways to match the elevation of the surrounding terrain. I'm not sure, but it might only be necessary to adjust the taxiways, since taxiways pull the terrain around them up or down to their level, while (I don't think) the other airport elements do that.

aeromed202
April 7th, 2012, 04:45
Depending on how one mods their game there will be some of those, though this might be a bit more involved. Usually an addon mesh that is better than the default causes them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told that forcing compliance from a default airport in this case is difficult but not impossible. The other options are remove the mesh, bring the surrounding terrain up to the airport level locally or just leave it be. My game, for example, had more than a dozen mile high big mesas on the US gulf coast each essentially containing a lake. I had to make a flatten bgl for each one to reel them in, and I too come across the occasional strip way up high or down in a trough. Another possibility is that an addon scenery is affecting that area. I've installed some with meshes that I wouldn't know the extent of until I flew somewhere and saw weird things like mesas and airports way out of sync with the geography. I then had to research which scenery file was causing the anomaly and decide what I wanted to do about it. Bob Holland is one website that has documented the bigger known fs9 anomalies and has fixes for most of them.

http://www.bobholland.com/fs/default.htm

Devildog73
April 10th, 2012, 09:01
Thanks a bunch guys!

I guess I am a bit OCD and need to have all things in order in my limited universe.