PDA

View Full Version : Mega Scenery is not for me

Helldiver
December 23rd, 2008, 18:33
Since Plum Island Airport is my airport of choice, why not add to it by putting in Mega Scenery Earth, Massachusetts 001, which covers the North East section of the state.
After a long, long, download, almost a Gigabyte, I got it installed. I could tell right away it was not for me. Everything looked gray. almost parched. Flying around I noticed all of Bill's carefully drawn buildings were gone. Newburyport looked like the A-Bomb hit it.
I offer the following comparisons. The MU-2 is native Plum Island. The Cherokee is after Mega Scenery got through with it.
I rest my case.

SolarEagle
December 23rd, 2008, 19:02
Can you put the Plum Island scenery above Megascenery in the scenery library? I would think the Plum Island photo area should sit on top of the Megascenery, making a blended transition from Bill's photo patch into the rest.

Gdavis101
December 23rd, 2008, 19:03
I am in the process of getting the Seattle area, but it takes so long to download. I have a fast internet connection too!

MCDesigns
December 23rd, 2008, 19:10
Can you put the Plum Island scenery above Megascenery in the scenery library? I would think the Plum Island photo area should sit on top of the Megascenery, making a blended transition from Bill's photo patch into the rest.

Technically you should be able to do that. HD try moving the settings in the scenery library to get plum island on top of the megascenery.

Helldiver
December 23rd, 2008, 19:29
Now I didn't just fall off the Turnip truck. That's exactly what I did. Put Plum Island on top of Mega Scenery. But it still looked gray and flattened. Bill's trees looked good. It's where Mega fills in that suffers

Dain Arns
December 23rd, 2008, 22:07
I have to agree. MegaScenery generally does not look good, very close up. No photographic scenery ever has in my opinion. You have to have some altitude. But, I still love the Oahu scenery its fun to fly over. I never had any issue with Bill's Dillingham scenery sitting over the top of the MegaScenery. Are they including some type of mesh along with that new photo scenery that is sitting at a higher ground level? Just curious. :kilroy:

tigisfat
December 24th, 2008, 03:11
I had no idea there was a "Mega Scenery Earth, Massachusetts 001". I am intrigued. Where did this come from?

Gregory Paul
December 24th, 2008, 05:07
I had no idea there was a "Mega Scenery Earth, Massachusetts 001". I am intrigued. Where did this come from?

see
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=6469

Helldiver
December 24th, 2008, 05:08
You'll find it here
http://www.megasceneryearth.com/home.htm (http://www.megasceneryearth.com/home.htm)

Alexraptor
December 24th, 2008, 07:14
Is this a problem with the new megascenery earth? Because MegaSceneryX Hawaii looks so much better than default FSX Oahu on all levels.

Navy Chief
December 24th, 2008, 08:14
I have bought Megascenery scenery's before, and have always uninstalled them not long after trying them out. For one thing, my FPS always takes a big hit with all Megasceneries.

NOT impressed.

NC

Pepere
December 24th, 2008, 12:23
Is this a problem with the new megascenery earth? Because MegaSceneryX Hawaii looks so much better than default FSX Oahu on all levels.

However, when down on the da runways (not all) your aircraft is up to it's belly in da earth. I finally un-installed Hawaii megascenery so landing would seem a little more real. :kilroy: Hope they fixed that type of thing?

David

stiz
December 24th, 2008, 12:53
yup they released a patch that fixed that

hobofat
December 29th, 2008, 15:31
Since Plum Island Airport is my airport of choice, why not add to it by putting in Mega Scenery Earth, Massachusetts 001, which covers the North East section of the state.
After a long, long, download, almost a Gigabyte, I got it installed. I could tell right away it was not for me. Everything looked gray. almost parched. Flying around I noticed all of Bill's carefully drawn buildings were gone. Newburyport looked like the A-Bomb hit it.
I offer the following comparisons. The MU-2 is native Plum Island. The Cherokee is after Mega Scenery got through with it.
I rest my case.

The MegaSceneryEarth photo tiles aren't processed in any way. Additionally, they will tell you that the tiles are "sourced" at such and such pixels/m but that's a load of bull because they are using a lot of sub-par original imagery that is at lo-res. Some is good, a lot is not, so just be careful what areas you are downloading and do some research on Google Earth. Google Earth is an almagamation of a lot of the available satellite imagery of an area and if it doesn't have good res photos for the area you want I can guarantee you MegaSceneryEarth does not have good imagery. I love the concept of what they are trying to do, but to truly do it they would have to license hi-res imagery and then process it to look right in FSX, which they can't afford to do, plus there just isn't enough good imagery to cover the globe. In the meantime, tileproxy gives you the exact same imagery, you just can't store it on your harddrive.

I like their Hawaii product, but the Earth project just can't compare, they don't have the money or manpower to make it equivalent (they used aerial photography for that, not satellite). Probably the best that can be done right now for large areas is what ORBX is doing, which is using hi-res "sample" imagery much like what FSX already does, just a million times better, and for unique formations do some photo-real tiles.

Disclaimer: Referencing payware products is merely to point out a technique, not advertise a particular product.

Pepere
December 29th, 2008, 15:46
yup they released a patch that fixed that

Where is the patch - please..

David:kilroy:

djscoo
December 29th, 2008, 16:01
Where is the patch - please..

David:kilroy:
I downloaded and it works...thanks for the heads up!
http://www.megascenery.com/patches.htm
Scroll down to the Hawaii section and download...it's an .exe, so there's no effort on our end.
:ernae:

Pepere
December 29th, 2008, 17:53
Thank you djscoo. :wavey:

David :jump: