PDA

View Full Version : DDS Plugin for PSP8

falcon409
April 5th, 2012, 10:21
I had this setup nicely for PSP8 before my system was attacked, but now that I'm having to find everything again and get things loaded, this particular Plugin is eluding me. I went to the NVidia Tools downloads and downloaded what it said was the dds plugin for 64bit systems. I let it install and then went into the directory to check it out. Nothing in the installation looks anything like a plugin. Yes there are dll's but PSP8 does not recognize them as a plugin. It installed two folders: "File Formats" which contains "dds64.8bi" and "Filters" which contains "NormalMapFilter64.8bf". Is anyone using PSP8 with the NVidia Plugin that can tell me exactly how this should be installed or if these are even the correct files?

One note: I appreciate the passion of all the Photoshop users out there who find that program to be the very best. I happen to own PSP8 and so this is the one I need information on, not how it works great with Adobe, lol. Thank you!

OleBoy
April 5th, 2012, 10:32
Not much help here Ed as I am the latter. Although the files and directories sound correct.
You might check for a 'plug-in' folder that may have also got put inside the "file formats" folder.
I've had that happen. I had to move the files by hand (after I figured out where they went), then all worked fine.

falcon409
April 5th, 2012, 10:37
Not much help here Ed as I am the latter. Although the files and directories sound correct.
You might check for a 'plug-in' folder that may have also got put inside the "file formats" folder.
I've had that happen. I had to move the files by hand (after I figured out where they went), then all worked fine.
Actually the installation made a folder "Plug-Ins" and I moved the attached folders into the "plugins" folder for PSP8 since that's what the program would probably look for. I assume the files are supposed to remain inside those folders?

OleBoy
April 5th, 2012, 10:39
Have a read here. ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/NVTextureSuite/Paint_Shop_Pro_Steps.pdf

falcon409
April 5th, 2012, 10:44
Have a read here. ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/NVTextureSuite/Paint_Shop_Pro_Steps.pdf
Yea, unfortunately when you follow the link noted in that pdf there isn't anything that says "dds photoshop Plug-in" or "these required dlls". lol

Dain Arns
April 5th, 2012, 10:48
Well, 'dds.8bi' is the plug in that I tried as well.
But, I never could get that plug in to work correctly with my PSP, Ed.
I've always used Martin Wright's freeware DXTBmp program to do the .dds conversions.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm

OleBoy
April 5th, 2012, 10:50
Yea, unfortunately when you follow the link noted in that pdf there isn't anything that says "dds photoshop Plug-in" or "these required dlls". lol

Sorry Ed. I never checked the links to confirm.
Maybe here. http://developer.nvidia.com/content/texture-tools-208-64-bit

falcon409
April 5th, 2012, 10:56
Well, 'dds.8bi' is the plug in that I tried as well.
But, I never could get that plug in to work correctly with my PSP, Ed.
I've always used Martin Wright's freeware DXTBmp program to do the .dds conversions.

http://www.btinternet.com/~mnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm (http://www.btinternet.com/%7Emnwright/programs/dxtbmp.htm)
Yea, I've used that program for years I guess, but it was great to be able to save directly from PSP8 rather than saving as a bitmap then pulling it into DXTbmp and flipping and resaving as a dds file. I guess that's what happens when companies "fix" something, lol. . . .they cause problems, lol.

Dain Arns
April 5th, 2012, 11:02
Yea, I've used that program for years I guess, but it was great to be able to save directly from PSP8 rather than saving as a bitmap then pulling it into DXTbmp and flipping and resaving as a dds file. I guess that's what happens when companies "fix" something, lol. . . .they cause problems, lol.

Yeah, I know. It's a 'PITA' having to do the file swapping.

bruce448
April 5th, 2012, 11:09
I have always saved as .PSD and then ran this batch file, which runs concurrently with Imagetool found in the SDK. All conversions are then done for you.

Copy the following into notepad

Code: Select all
imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither *.psd

then save it

you will then need change it from .txt to .bat

If you then place this bat file and imagetool in you folder containing the textures to be converted, click on the bat file and it will do the rest.

ps, the bat file will work for .bmp as well, using this string

imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither *.bmp

Bruce

falcon409
April 5th, 2012, 11:27
I have always saved as .PSD and then ran this batch file, which runs concurrently with Imagetool found in the SDK. All conversions are then done for you.
Copy the following into notepad

imagetool -nobeep -nomip -dxt5 -dds -nodither *.psd

then save it
you will then need change it from .txt to .bat
If you then place this bat file and imagetool in you folder containing the textures to be converted, click on the bat file and it will do the rest.
ps, the bat file will work for .bmp as well, using this string
Bruce
Yep, that works. Thanks Bruce!!