PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had a midair while under ATC control?

JIMJAM
April 3rd, 2012, 16:00
I was on a short IFR trip and under ATC control. Level at 10 grand while on AP. I had a Challenger cross in front of me from left to right and it had to be less than 50 feet from hitting me.:icon_eek: I had a real nice view of it and could have told you the color of the pilots eyes! It was only then ATC started asking us both if we saw each other. I have NEVER had a midair during the cruise portion of a flight.
Just curious if anyone has ever had a midair.

Conditions- Mytraffic,Ultimate traffic others are fine. In and around large airports especially during the approach/final phase does not count.

olderndirt
April 3rd, 2012, 17:47
Not that it ever really happened but, on radar, I once saw a 737 fly through a flight of four F4's. The F4's had previously been approved entry into approach airspace, via this departure gate reference the 737, but the center guy got them intermingled at seven thousand. They all came out the other end and nobody saw and/or reported a thing - amazing. Sometimes it pays to never see the guy you almost hit.

Lionheart
April 3rd, 2012, 18:28
Yep.... I think one actually contacted me, a crash, but some very close calls. I think once, I actually had a 737 land over the top of me, but I wasnt on ATC at the time.

High altitude's are the ones that really wake you up if you are really concentrating on your flight, the gauges, scanning, etc. Like a dream turned nightmare, lol...

JIMJAM
April 3rd, 2012, 19:05
Yeah Ive been running MytrafficX and even at 10% it gets busy. I no longer fly airliners but I can remember many times there was so much mayhem and traffic at the big airports.

I was just curious because as long as I have been flying sims I can never recall a actual collision. Again thats not around airports which we all know get crazy.

LonelyplanetXO
April 3rd, 2012, 19:44
Something similar happened to me ages ago in FS9. Flying the Eaglesoft CitationX west toward California under an IFR flightplan I happened to notice what looked like a point of light ahead. After mulling it over for a few seconds I realised I was looking at an ai jet on a mirror image of my alt/heading. Killed the Autopilot fast and took evasive action... heard the Northwest's engines - loud - as we passed with metres to spare...then about 3 seconds later a traffic alert from ATC... yeah, no ****... thanks for that.

LPXO

stansdds
April 4th, 2012, 02:07
I've had a few AI get a little close for comfort in the air, sometimes without ATC warning, but nothing dangerously close... yet.

I've had a few instances of AI aircraft nearly taxiing into me. I'll be cruising down the taxiway and an AI will dart out into the taxiway, nearly colliding with me. Again, no ground control warning.

MicroSoft's ATC has always left much to be desired.