PDA

View Full Version : Iris Bede 5 Mini Flight Review

Lionheart
April 1st, 2012, 19:21
This evening, I had a chance to finally unzip a purchased payware plane I had picked up on sale a few months ago, the infamous Experimental Bede 5, a unique single place, super small plane, originally powered by a snow mobile engine, and said to get up to over 200 knots airspeed. I had once came close to buying a half built Bede 5, but had to pass. They are amazing aircraft.

Believe it or not, they actually started making one version with a small French jet engine. The Coors Lite sponsored airshow Bede 5J comes to mind, the mini jet that could fly pretty darn fast.

Anyways, I unzipped the file, started it, directed it to PrePar3D instead of FSX, and ran the installer. All installed fine. I fired up P3D and booted up in the Bede 5 prop version near a row of hangers at Montgomery Field in San Diego. I checked out the exterior first, noting a very well done paint job. Only one paint scheme for the prop version, 2 for the Jet. All control surfaces work. Flaps do not until you flip on your power switches, (electric flaps). The shape of the Bede 5 is radical. A super thin fuselage hugs the pilot, and the length is incredibly short. The prop is a pusher and the engine is rather like a bike engine. As a matter of fact, they started building Honda flat 4 and flat 6 engine versions using the motorcycle GoldWing engines when I was going to get one. I believe this has a Rotax, not sure.

I hopped in and buckled up, switched on all the electrics, noting where everything is. A PDF manual is featured, but with the spartan Avionics sweet, you almost do not need it if you know your way around regular cockpits. With everything on, I was ready to close the canopy up and head out to the runway. Parking brake off, and zip, I was moving along like a high powered goKart! This thing moves! And it should, the plane only weighs a few hundred pounds. Its a natural ultralite long before ultralites came to be, originally made as a sort of lite weight glider with a basic small engine, its performance was so overwhelming that it was more like a gas/prop powered F16 rather then a powered glider.

I get to the runway and find myself unable to slow down. No worries. I blip the parking brake on and off a couple of times and all is well. I knew the brakes were quite small, having studied the kits at air shows. The puck for the brakes (the brake pad) must be over 1 inch, under 2 inches. Very tiny. Like big watch parts. ;)

I line up on the runway and start feeding the beast some power. In quick order, I am moving like a tiny JET! Being close to the ground, so lite, and that fan going at 50%, I was to 100 knots in no time. The wind noise gets very loud, as the canopy is tucked in by your ears like a fine Swiss glider washed in hot water and shrank down in scale. Nothing but plexi and Al-you-minium separating you from all that wind, and you are in the front, the engine behind you, so some good windnoise is expected.

I pull back half way down the runway, realizing I am already about to go over 100 Knots. She hops off the tarmac and I am up! I push the landing gear T handle to lock up the mini landing gear legs. CLUNK! They are up, all three greens are out. My airspeed begins to climb as I bank left over the freeway to head towards San Diego Prime (core of the City by the bay). I am astounded at her speed and her rocket like aileron sensitivity. Im wondering if this is what its like to be in an F16 or perhaps, even..... (eeeks) an Me-163 Komet! Im having fun. Learning the sensitivity of the ailerons gets some getting used to, so I am adapting while my senses are taking in everything about the plane.

I wonder to myself how fast she can climb, so I push the throttle to the hilt and then pull back a tad, (dont want to burn up the new engine). I am climbing nicely at 2,000 FPM and I am OK with that. I go to 3,000 feet and level out. I look around from up there in the half plexi cockpit and notice Gelespie airfield. I 'must!' I think to myself. A quick touch and go. I turn East and start in that area and line up for the runway from long distance and begin my descent. Something is wrong. Like a Lear that does not know what deceleration means, this little bird is not wanting to slow down. Finally at zero throttle, the little engine is idling along, wind noise is moderate, and my speed is hanging around 180 to 200 knots. Soon I am about 1 mile out, a bit high, 2 notches of flaps 'dared' to be engaged, and still at 150 knots. I decide to do a 360 degree turn to loose some altitude. I begin my bank and drop to about 800 feet. Perfect. I continue my descent to Gillespie and drop my gear and bring flaps to full down. She is still a radical little dart and only showing slight speed reduction. I oh-so-carefully' touch ground with the greatest of ease that she barely moves, only the noise of the tires on the tarmac. I raise the flaps and push the throttle back, maybe to 60%, and up we go. I reduce my climb and do a tight left bank just past the runways end and I am off back to Montgomery field again.

As I climb up to 1200 feet, I see a nice little mountain range that divides Gillespie from Montgomery. A nice little valley is cut between the mountains. Again, the agile input of ailerons and cool little cockpit bring me to want to fly that little canyon, and so I do. I pull the throttle back and drop down out of the sky, down into that valley and cut through it, doing tight 90 degree (ok, not fully 90 degrees, but maybe 75 or 80 degrees) standing the wings up, coming close to trees. BRILLIANT! I pop up over the edge where the canyon begins, coming close to Montgomery, pull back to idle, hold the nose up to reduce speed, drop the flaps and gear, and begin my approach straight in. All is well, holding about 90 to 95 knots. This time, I actually lose speed (coming in at a lower angle this time) and at 65 knots, I find myself nosing up like a tiny watch like 'Concord'. I push the throttle in a bit, raise myself up in the seat to see over the panels instrument pod and bring the little high speed craft down smoothly for a second soft landing.

Nice.....

Taxiing back to my hanger in the rows of hangers is more like being in a big goKart. It skoots along at a very good clip. I am burping the parking brakes to slow in corners, but man, its like a tiny sports car or something on the ground. I find my hanger door, pull in, turn, and shut down.

Very awesome machine. More then what I had dreamed such a plane would be like.

Notes; (not criticisms, just notes). The Tachometer seemed to go into full red a couple of times. I dont know why. I tried bringing it out, but it didnt work. But later it 'got better' and was working right. Could it be a P3D XML read error? I dont know.

Note 2; I couldnt switch off the toggles. My oops. I build planes and find that people NEVER READ THE MANUALS!!!! I just did the same thing. Right clicking on the toggles turns them off. My GIANT oops.

When you get in, all the power (Electrics) will be off, (design default, you MUST turn them on, as they will boot up 'off' in P3D). So I had all on and all was working nicely. The radios are wired into the Avionics, so you cannot turn them off separately.

Note 3; she (beast dart) is EXTREMELY fast and I have heard stories of this as being quite real; 220 knots at times is not a SciFi rumor. These things are so slippery and lite weight, that its no wonder they are difficult to slow down. Its one amazing design by Jim Bede.

Note 4; ailerons are like that of a modern, updated F16. She is pretty darn sensitive and at first, you will find yourself over-correcting, like a roll twitch going back and fourth. After a few min's in pattern, you are already adapted.

Note 5; first take off is quite exhilerating. You will probably need a glass of fine red wine (or a cold beer or 'something') to bring you back down after your first maiden flight.

EDIT: Note 6; additional supplement. I wanted to note on the paintwork on this, that it is very well done. The rivet patterns and panel lines are really nicely done, like a 3D photograph. The way the rivet work and panel lines glisten in the sun is really appealing to the eyes....

Ending advice. If you love experimentals, grew up around EAA flyins, if you love jets but the realism of your own wallet and have a love of small planes AND speed, you NEED this... It is fun. I must say, I havent even flown the jet yet. I had always wanted the prop model. The French jet engine 20 years ago was about $49,000.00 USD, so I knew I couldnt get 'that' model. So the prop bird was the 'realistic' choice and a fantasy from years ago.

Loved it!

I will be doing a custom paint for this, if Iris have a repaint kit. I want to put some blue and white fabric in the seats and try a white paint scheme with some basic stripes.

Nice work Iris.

Bill
LHC

kjb
April 1st, 2012, 20:53
Nicely written review. I remember that Jim Bede was too big to fit in it :) He is or was at the time, a large (diameter) man.

CBris
April 2nd, 2012, 22:14
Yes - it is a fun little plane to fly, isn't it? Also nice to repaint. I have done six or so for your enjoyment - my website or Avsim. This one is just waiting for a nod from the real TBirds

Sorry for the unashamed self plug - but my paints are all free... :wiggle:

Oh yes, no signatures here... visit my website at www.eagleskinner.com (http://www.eagleskinner.com) for my repaints. Or search Avsim library "chris brisland"

Another edit:

There is a company in the US who flie the 5J as "Small Manned Aerial Radar Targets" (SMART) - they fly cruise missile profiles and let the USAF try and shoot them down (well - "catch" them with radar).

PilatusTurbo
April 3rd, 2012, 03:53
Yes, it's quite a little ship! I only flew the jet engine version, and I only flew it on and off for a week. Kind of an FS hiatus again, but I'm kinda back playing with it again, and this is one I should definitely get back into.

And, that was a nice little review on the plane. :ernae:

JIMJAM
April 3rd, 2012, 07:23
Great review and story.

Yeah I need to dust her off and fly the little devil some more. Its a fun plane and great one for looking at scenery. If you like the BD then the Long Ez is also a cool plane although not nearly as fast.

kilo delta
April 3rd, 2012, 08:08
A fantastic looking a/c...but a reputation of being a widow maker,unfortunately. They are banned by the CAA in the UK,iirc?

bushpilot
April 3rd, 2012, 09:49
Reminded me of this (the fun starts about at 4:50 mark) :icon_lol: :<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px" width="640" height="360">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-6ZeTE0igM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Lionheart
April 3rd, 2012, 15:10
Reminded me of this (the fun starts about at 4:50 mark) :icon_lol: :<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px" width="640" height="360">

</object>

Thanks for that BushPilot. Loved that movie.

The plane I almost got was the one the studios used for the rolling scenes. They made the plane into a mock up, folding wings and things. The guy called and said, 'if you do not want this plane, a movie studio want it to make it into a dummy for a Bond movie.' Hard to believe it went that far.

Love it...

I took it out some more yesterday evening, flying around San Diego, going from resevoir to resevoir, flying through the mountains in close proximity. What a great little plane.

A screenshot of the girl idling next to a standard sized twin engine. More like an escape pod!

They later went to a new wing as some people crashed and the wings were found to be too limited for turning conditions. The 'B' wing version was a wider wingspan and took care of must of the issues of slip-stalls.

Another couple of issues (on the real planes) was the axle drive assembly, and availability of the Rotax engines, as well as their 'endurance' as an aero engine. The Goldwing Honda engines became the engine of choice for builders, much more reliable, quieter I believe, and I also think they were more powerful. You had to add a 6 inch section into the fuselage so the engine would fit (length wise).

Bill

CBris
April 3rd, 2012, 23:05
I can only agree wholeheartedly with the "fun to fly" commentaries.