PDA

View Full Version : Need some help - how can I exclude default ground objects?

Captain Kurt
March 30th, 2012, 15:13
I know there is some method to create an exclude bgl that removes the default CFS2 buildings from stock airfields, but I don't know how to do it. I can remove the runways and ground textures, but the buildings are still sitting there.

Can someone give me guidance? Thanks.

bearcat241
March 30th, 2012, 16:44
CK,

Its all in the GSL gobs. You'll have to find the gob for the area containing the specific base and edit it with GSLedit. Then export the layer as a new gsl file. Assuming this will be part of a new addon campaign, the user applying your package would then install the gsl file with GSLman and this would wipe out all default objects pertaining to the stock base while simultaneously installing your new objects.

Read the PDF in the attached zip. You want to go directly to page 10 to get the info you need for the operation. The txt file contains a sample list of all of my installed airfields in my PTO setup - including stock - and their corresponding gobs. This should make your "search and destroy" mission a little easier. Once you identify the gob's code name, you can easier locate it in GSLedit's list. When you click on the gob in the list, you'll get a listing panel on the right which shows all the objects in that gob's area. Those items which have pictures in the INFO folder will display their images along with their dp file names. Those that don't will show as file names only.

Just keep in mind that you won't be able to manually delete anything with the program. It just gives you a listing of current items in the area. When you create your new gsl in MB, this will auto-exclude any stock items there, as the guide will tell you.

Rami
March 30th, 2012, 19:55
Bearcat and Kurt,

Actually, we can do even better here. Although it is at Lindsay's, he has a GSL tutorial which includes an "empty" GSL file, devoid of gobs. All you have to do is rename the "empty" gsl file, and call it cfs2.gsl...

Presto! A world devoid of gobs. I use the "empty.gsl" as a base for all my ETO/MTO/OstFront installs, that way there are no Pacific elements whatsoever.

http://forum.lwdesigns.com.au/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=56 (Tutorial for enabling and using the built-in CFS2 GSL editor. Also contains an empty GSL file.)

bearcat241
March 31st, 2012, 00:26
I have that also Rami...

One Problem: what if one doesn't want his whole world emptied of all existng GSL objects (stock and addons), just one specific location? That's what empty.gsl does. It wipes the whole world clean, not just one little area. What you're proposing is for someone looking for an easier way to do a complete theater makeover one base at a time. That may work great for a new Euro-Med install which has no stock GSL objects in those regions to begin with and no need for any Pacific theater stuff -- so yeah, you can take them out and never miss them. But obviously Kurt is working in the Pacific, where stock objects abound almost everywhere and most are necessary and desirable to some extent. So here's where we should use laser surgery rather than an axe.

skylane
March 31st, 2012, 02:02
With the built-in GSL editor that Rami mentions you can also remove selected objects from your GSL file.
You start the editor, change the layout at your airfield as you like, and the new layout is then saved on your existing GSL file.

Rami
March 31st, 2012, 03:42
Bearcat,

Ah...it seems I jumped the gun. :isadizzy: In this case, if he has it, why not use Martin Wright's GSL editor, turn the gobs back into layouts, and then cherry-pick what to keep and what to discard?

bearcat241
March 31st, 2012, 06:06
With the built-in GSL editor that Rami mentions you can also remove selected objects from your GSL file.
You start the editor, change the layout at your airfield as you like, and the new layout is then saved on your existing GSL file.

Uhhhmm, thanks Skylane...that's what page 10 of the attached guide instructs one to do. Its a comprehensive guide on how to use the editor.

MaskRider
March 31st, 2012, 08:52
Hiya Bearcat,

I think you may have accidentally uploaded just a shortcut to Martin Wright's GSL Scenery Design Tutorial instead of the tutorial itself. At least that is all I get when I download the gsldesign.zip- a shortcut to an unreachable file located on what I assume is a backup hard drive.

Find attached a zip containing the actual file.

Cheers,
MR

bearcat241
March 31st, 2012, 09:04
Thanks my man...don't know how i missed that one :isadizzy:....

CheerZ!

MaskRider
March 31st, 2012, 09:15
Not a problem, buddy. I have a few years on you and am experiencing senior moments with increasing frequency!

MR

Captain Kurt
March 31st, 2012, 19:33
Thanks all. Just what I needed. There is always something else to learn - for me anyway.

Robert John
April 1st, 2012, 13:31
Not all scenery objects are GSL placed objects. They may have been placed using other methods, if so you will have to decompile the bgl that the object are in and manuly remove the object and recompile.