PDA

View Full Version : airbases dat/help/advice

nik112
March 29th, 2012, 13:52
Hi all
i made a fresh install of cfs2 pto, added mr scenery and campaingns and i have the following prob.
i red at Defense of Australia readme to add the master airbases dat to info folder because covers all Asia and i wouldn't have any prob. So i checked scenery and a few missions and saw:

mr png 080512
name=PNG Milne Bay: Turnbull (without runaway xx & id)

----------------------------------------------------------
campaigns
Bismarck Sea 005
"airfield_string"=PNG Milne Bay: Gurney

[runway.0]---------master airbase.dat=[runway.88] id=8088 name=Dutch East Indies - Hate Tabako 26
id=8088

png001 (talon)
airfield_string"=Port Moresby-Ward_L------------------- master airbase.dat [runway.61 ] id=8061
[runway.0]
id=8182

i think that will cause ctd
What's your advice? to add manually the bases from scenery to airbases dat or to use the master airbases dat?

bearcat241
March 29th, 2012, 17:49
Nik,

If you're flying a campaign mission and the player's airfield ID/info doesn't match the same ID/info of the airbases.dat, you will get a CTD. I'm afraid the only way to properly square things up is to edit your missions in MB. If you try to take the shortcut and hand edit the airbase ID/info in the mis files you could end up with errors in waypoints, beginning with the start position. This can also lead to CTD's.

nik112
March 30th, 2012, 03:21
Thanks pal
i'll give it a try:isadizzy:

Rami
March 30th, 2012, 20:03
Nik112,

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to respond to this earlier. Yes, when MaskRider did his bases, often he left those areas blank, allowing for you to fill them in on your own. That's why I did the Master PTO airbase.dat, so that it accounts for all of these bases. However, I would only recommend using it for the three campaigns I did in the Pacific...Papua New Guinea, Royal Australian Air Force, and Dutch East Indies.

If you do it manually, you run the risk of CTD entries, as Bearcat clearly stated.

By the way, what link did you mention that was missing? Kelti sent me a PM, but I accidentally hit the delete button before I could investigate it! :wiggle:

nik112
March 30th, 2012, 22:16
Hi Rami
the link is for Kelti's files its in he's signature

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.php?loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=kelticheart

and another quest may i disable the cfs1 ships from ship folder i mean ie shdest shlaun etc
cheers

bearcat241
March 31st, 2012, 08:06
...and another quest may i disable the cfs1 ships from ship folder i mean ie shdest shlaun etc
cheers

Yes...you can remove them and delete their entries from the mdlnames.txt file as stock items. However, many early CFS2 campaigns and missions were written with these objects included. Later missions came along with fresh, detailed versions of these objects as our community got more and more into building vessels. So, if you remove these items be prepared for some error pop ups when loading the older missions. If that occurs you'll have to manually edit the missions to replace the objects with more recent versions. You won't be able to open and edit these missions in MB because it'll give an error message and CTD.

Another method is before you delete the older, take a recent version of these objects and rename them as the older. Change the titles in the ship.cfg's and the dp names to match the older. Also open the model folders and change the mdl names and the title in the model.cfg file to match the older CFS1 model. This will properly cover you against possible missing ship errors in the older missions, while auto-replacing the stuff they call up with the better things.

nik112
April 1st, 2012, 00:55
hi dj
thanks for the info, i'll try it. Yesterday i fased an other prob. Because i wanted to change stock cfs2 ships ie mahan-kagero-shj tanker etc with new ones i've done that you;re writing (rename the old model--xx sha_mahan and replaced
with vn_fletcher and after reneme the fletcher to sha_mahan.mdl) i made the same with the dp and of course i placed fletcher textures to textures folder. I've done that for all cfs2 ships[ look the list below] and except the "failed to initialize" message i got a strange model cfg. i think that is a conflict between 2 ships with different name but maybe same id number insight model. i replaced all the ship folder with back up and worked.

mahan=fletcher
sha tanker=ohio
shj tanker=vn tanker **allagi me fleet oiler
shj haruna=jmk kongo
sha enterprise=hornet 43
essex=yorktown 43
sha indiana=vn big mammie
sha_indianapolis=af san diego
sha merchant= psk ap 1
sha pt=jmk pt141
sha sub=us gato
shj hiryu=jmk akagi
shj junyo=jmk ryujo
shj kagero=jmk fubuki
shj kumano=jmk kumano
shj merchant=jmk asakamaru
shj sub=jmk i14
shj torpedo boat=jmk t14
shj troop ship=us troop ship
-----------------------------------------------
model.cfg
[models]
normal=vn_ijntanker
crash=vn_ijntanker

[colors]
; body - predominate color on plane
00=GRAY
; cowl
01=RED
; wing - color of wing, flaps, ailerons
02=WHITE
; stabs - blue color on leading edge
03=BLUE
; gear - gear housings
04=WHITE
; gearsup - landing gear supports
05=WHITE
; wheels - landing gear wheels
06=GRAY
; guides - horizon guides
07=BLACK
; spinner - propeller cone
08=WHITE
; blades - propeller blades
09=BLACK
; canopy - glass part of the canopy
10=BLUE

i was very carefull doing that job and i wrote everything i've done to avoid the mess. Now am thinking to begin again bulding the ship folder
waiting for your advice
a beer from me:guinness:

ps i use morton's util to replace panes and ships to the missions

cheers

bearcat241
April 1st, 2012, 04:41
Nik,

It appears that you're on the right track, but looking at the format of your list, i have to ask the question, are you renaming the individual folders also? In addition to renaming their contents, these individual ship folders have to match the original names as well.

Also, when you open the ship.cfg to rename the title, you have to also edit the sim line to match the ship title. This name in the sim line must match up with both the mdl name in the model sub-folder and the dp name.

EXAMPLE:

Folder name= sha_mahan

ship.cfg:

[fltsim.0]
title=sha_mahan
sim=sha_mahan
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*.DP name= sha_mahan.dp

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the model sub-folder:

*.mdl name=sha_mahan.mdl

model.cfg should read as:

[models]
normal=sha_mahan

*note: if there is a crash line in the model.cfg, make it to match the name in the "normal" line

************************************************** ************************************************** ********************

So.....

The model.cfg of your renamed vn_tanker should read like this:

[models]
normal=shj_tanker
crash=shj_tanker

[colors]
; body - predominate color on plane
00=GRAY
; cowl
01=RED
; wing - color of wing, flaps, ailerons
02=WHITE