PDA

View Full Version : DSB/IRIS T-45C nose gear

andersel
March 28th, 2012, 15:49
i'm not a jet guy so much but when i do fly them I really like the Goshawk. A recurring irritation is the nose gear wheels/tires that seem to be partially under ground. Can anyone hip me to a way to fix this? I have tried the line 0 entry 3 of the aircraft cfg contact points and it did not change anything. I am not posessed of encyclopedic kniowlege of cfg mods so I'm asking: can somebody out there help me fix this? It doesn't keep me from flying the plane, but every time I do it just bugs the hell out ofme.

Milton Shupe
March 28th, 2012, 16:19
Is this a payware aircraft? If not, where can I get it.

The issue is broader than just vertical distance to ground.
It could be the product of the (static compression*the ratio) does not agree with the animation; or the nose contact point is not under the wheel, and/or the CoG is misplaced putting too much weight on the nose gear, or a combination of these things. Not necessarily a simple fix.

If payware, the support site should correct the issue, and if freeware the author should correct the issue. If neither is possible and it is freeware and available, we can help you if you provide a link.

Matt Wynn
March 28th, 2012, 16:35
Milton it's part of IRIS' Former Payware Hawks pack.... and they no longer support the FS9 stuff, or they do to a limited perspective...

www.irissimulations.com > then to Hangar > then on the Right Column you should see the Hawks link....

Milton Shupe
March 28th, 2012, 16:52
Thanks Matt; will download and check the issue. :-)

andersel
March 28th, 2012, 17:52
I appreciate the quick answers you guys. Milton, as Matt said it is a freeware aircraft that is available from IRIS (the Hawks Package) and I believe a slightly older version (DSB) is extant at the usual FS sites. I'd appreciate any guidance/help you can provide as I am not an FS "mechanic".

LA

PS - there are LOTS of repaints available that work on both versions of the model.

EDIT: Milton - I just remembered that , when taxiing and or accellerating the aircraft, when the brakes are applied the wheels in question rise to the surface as the nose gear compresses. I don't know if that will be of help or not. LA

Milton Shupe
March 28th, 2012, 18:14
I have made all the necessary corrections and she looks and feels much better now.

Just doing some final testing thjen I will share the changes with you.

I worked only on the one set but will check to see if all the others are the same.

Matt Wynn
March 28th, 2012, 18:17
Excellent Milton! much appreciated, another thing to consider (at least with Hawk T.Mk 1/1a/1w, and Hawk 128/200) is that the nose wheele is unsteered, steering is done via differential braking and the nose wheel 'free-castoring'.....

Milton Shupe
March 28th, 2012, 18:52
Yes, just checked out a few of the others. Different nose gear and the two I loaded seem to be okay with the gear on the ground with no sinking.

Matter of fact, the flight model aircraft.cfg is quite different from the Goshawk, like they were done by different people. The others appear to be more accurate in weight distribution although there are other issues there.

I changed quite a lot in this one and corrected the CoG. She flies nicely still, takeoff, climbout, cruise, approach and landing all good so I think she will be fine. The mains are a bit mushy but as long as you keep it at 15 knots or slower during ground ops as you should, she is fine.

Not sure what the policy is regarding posting changes for this so I will do it by PM.

Milton Shupe
March 28th, 2012, 18:54
andersel, check your PMs please

andersel
March 28th, 2012, 19:07
Thanks a ton, Milton!

LA

Milton Shupe
March 28th, 2012, 19:13
You bet. Email sent.

andersel
March 28th, 2012, 19:44
On the ramp at NAS Kingsville. OUTSTANDING!!! If it's not too much trouble, Milton, what did you end up having to do to it to fix the problem?

Milton Shupe
March 28th, 2012, 20:06
Not sure if that knowledge would really help anyone because all these issues are different for each aircraft. There is no magic here; it's all logical.

First define the visual model parameters in the aircraft.cfg accurately.
Put the CoG where it's supposed to be on the model.
Put the contact points where they should be with the visual model with gear hanging.
Distribute the weight to where it should be on the visual model.
Set the static compression, max-static ratio and damping to match the animated movement in the visual model.
Tweak the CoG as necessary to be at or near 25% MAC.
Test and tweak.

It took me an hour to do that with this model as the basics were good, just needed shifting around.

With all due respect to David Brice & David Friswell, the flight model is very good ... just needed some tweaking adjustments.

andersel
March 29th, 2012, 00:17
Not sure if that knowledge would really help anyone because all these issues are different for each aircraft. There is no magic here; it's all logical.

First define the visual model parameters in the aircraft.cfg accurately.
Put the CoG where it's supposed to be on the model.
Put the contact points where they should be with the visual model with gear hanging.
Distribute the weight to where it should be on the visual model.
Set the static compression, max-static ratio and damping to match the animated movement in the visual model.
Tweak the CoG as necessary to be at or near 25% MAC.
Test and tweak.

It took me an hour to do that with this model as the basics were good, just needed shifting around.

With all due respect to David Brice & David Friswell, the flight model is very good ... just needed some tweaking adjustments.

Thank you, Milton, for the explanation. MY problem is that at my current level of understanding flight mechanics you might as well have written it all in Sanskrit. lol! BUT, AGAIN, THANKS OR ALL OF YOUR HELP.

LA

hawkeye52
March 29th, 2012, 11:09
Not sure what the policy is regarding posting changes for this so I will do it by PM. Can anyone address Milton's concern?

Sure would be nice if he could post his fix(es); I'll bet there are a few of us that are bothered by the same thing that bugged Andersel.

- H52

Milton Shupe
March 29th, 2012, 11:12
I would happily share the file with anyone who wishes. Just email me.

t.creed
March 29th, 2012, 18:07
thanks sir, mucho better..:icon_lol:

rgds
t creed

PeteHam
March 29th, 2012, 23:01
Thanks for posting about the Iris freeware stuff. :applause:

There's a good deal to choose from that I wasn't aware of.

Milton, I'd love to have your updates for the Hawk, pm on it's way .....

Pete.

Matt Wynn
March 29th, 2012, 23:52
and for those who want new clothes for the t.1 and modified VC textures let me know, i'm slowly working up a facelift on Hawk (Yes as well as the Harrier)

mgr
March 30th, 2012, 02:02
Hello Matt,

and for those who want new clothes for the t.1 and modified VC textures let me know, i'm slowly working up a facelift on Hawk (Yes as well as the Harrier)

Yes please :jump::applause:

Marcel

Matt Wynn
March 30th, 2012, 02:11
ok will upload to my ftp, and drop a download link in shortly, you'll have to write/edit the cfg yourself, paints were done for the 'IRIS HWK_RAF_CL' folder but should work on any T1 variant of Hawk, gotta redo XX156 unless one of the guys i've sent it to has it backed up....

EDIT: here you go; http://www.spartisim.com/downloads/Hawks.zip

Desert Rat
March 30th, 2012, 05:13
Matt,

the files you sent me didn't contain XX156, just the five others.

sorry,
Jamie

Matt Wynn
March 30th, 2012, 05:38
ok pal no worries, can't repaint anyways now, my MS Razer Habu just died, and that had everything i needed, adjustable polling rate, precision etc... so until i can get a new one i'm relegated to watching :blind:

AndyG43
March 30th, 2012, 05:48
Did you send me XX156? In which case I will have it backed up (I'll check this evening).

Matt Wynn
March 30th, 2012, 05:59
thanks Andy, i'm already fed up of this cheap-a$$ed mouse, it's either fully right on the screen or fully left and nowhere in between... now gotta wait 2 days till that £50 that has to last me a month hit's my bank, then spend it on a sodding mouse, in other words... no housekeep for the parents, no food, no drink... and in all likelihood me getting the good old boot to the backside out the front door... i'm frikking absolutely livid, already put a dent in the brick wall behind my computer using good old fist and aggression... sods law it has to happen in the month when theres a re-union with the lads....

mgr
March 30th, 2012, 09:30
ok will upload to my ftp, and drop a download link in shortly, you'll have to write/edit the cfg yourself, paints were done for the 'IRIS HWK_RAF_CL' folder but should work on any T1 variant of Hawk, gotta redo XX156 unless one of the guys i've sent it to has it backed up....

EDIT: here you go; http://www.spartisim.com/downloads/Hawks.zip

THx! Really like the new VC texture!

Marcel

AndyG43
March 30th, 2012, 11:50
Did you send me XX156? In which case I will have it backed up (I'll check this evening).

Just checked, negatory on XX156.

Matt Wynn
March 30th, 2012, 12:02
ok pal no worries, will have to wait till i can replace my mouse...