PDA

View Full Version : SF8 SABRE QUESTION

Fibber
March 22nd, 2012, 18:20
Also there were other skins done for that great plane that I found over at the SF8 website that were to be on AVSIM. Now some are missing. SAilly, but will the FS9 skins fit this plane or has it been resized? Also will other skins say for the Olson of skins done by Bub for FF4 fit this bird? It is a real lot of fun to fly and fight and seems to have a real light stick!!!! Hock it and you will flip it!
Just like golf, hold it just light enough to hold a bird.

bearcat241
March 23rd, 2012, 01:20
Fibber,

Glad you're enjoying the model. Its the only USAF model i fly in Korea. There are quite a few FS9 skins out there. Anything done for the SF8 model will fit the conversion. You'll have to convert the textures from 32-bit and sometimes DXT3 to DXT1 or 16-565 using Imagetool or DXTbmp. Unfortunately, FF skins are useless on this model.

In the future, you can always answer this question for any model by looking at the the filenames and layouts (mapping) of the original textures and comparing these features to other desired addon skins. If they match exactly, the answer is yes. If these vary in the least by name or features, its a no go, unless you know a good bit about customizing textures to fit.

Fibber
March 23rd, 2012, 05:08
Thanks for the reply. I have found some skins at Avsim that were referenced over by the www.Sectionf8.com (http://www.Sectionf8.com) site but wasn't sure if they had to be resized. Unable to get the "Father Dan" and one other though. They seem to have been misplaced at Avsim as they apparently can't find them.
I asked about the compatability because I did find a reference (forget where) that "...any ones for a Sabre will fit.." . I guess the writer only knew of one Sabre!
Thanks again for the reply and a GREAT PLANE! conversion.

misson
March 23rd, 2012, 12:49
how you did the model conversion? i try but something is wrong!

bearcat241
March 23rd, 2012, 13:55
Mission, do yourself a favor, give up the idea and just fly mine. This bird was an animation nightmare with regard to its convertibility. I basically had to start and finished it in scasm, not through the conventional conversion methods you may be accustomed to. But Javis was a great help in giving me some design "secrets" which allowed me to sort the animations and edit them for CFS2 translation in scasm.

Fibber, i don't have "Father Dan"...sounds interesting. What's the other one you're after?

Fibber
March 23rd, 2012, 17:02
The two skins I couldn't obtain are the "Father Dan" and "eightball Express" that are referenced to Avsim over at the www.sectionf8.com (http://www.sectionf8.com) website in the "repaints" section. In their "downloads" is a skinpack that has a lot of the skins witha .dp but not the two I was looking for.

misson
March 24th, 2012, 10:34
Mission, do yourself a favor, give up the idea and just fly mine. This bird was an animation nightmare with regard to its convertibility. I basically had to start and finished it in scasm, not through the conventional conversion methods you may be accustomed to. But Javis was a great help in giving me some design "secrets" which allowed me to sort the animations and edit them for CFS2 translation in scasm.

Fibber, i don't have "Father Dan"...sounds interesting. What's the other one you're after?

WHere can i get it?
:jump:

bearcat241
March 24th, 2012, 12:10
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=bearcat241

misson
March 24th, 2012, 12:50
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=downloads&FileUploadName=bearcat241
Thank u Bearcat! iīm going for it:running::icon29:

misson
March 25th, 2012, 08:40
It's amazing what we have in the library. greatjob you done DJ !. I converted to personal use gmaxF86 in this model i do not remember to whom it belongs, and I like it well, maybe there is better conversion for cfs2. In quick combat , i fought against a mig15 by Oldliner52 and viceversa (using your plane) , and i donīt know how many reality there are behind that plane in simulation , but i prefer the mig:icon_lol::icon29:

bearcat241
March 25th, 2012, 12:24
Thanks for the comments Mission. I like Kirk Olsson's F-86 as well - very nice and easier to repaint from what i've heard.

What attached me to Javis' SF8 model was his attention to detail, the awesome animations in FS9 and all of the cool repaints that followed. I just had to satisfy the urge to get this one flying in CFS2 and it turned into a big project at the time. I haven't tried Oldliner's Mig yet, but i suppose i should get on that.