PDA

View Full Version : Darker water?

rdaniell
March 22nd, 2012, 10:30
Is there a replacement water texture available for FSX that makes the inland water a little more muddy rather than the bright blue? I have something similar for FS9 but am not sure it will work in FSX.

Thanks.

RD

Daube
March 22nd, 2012, 11:57
Is there a replacement water texture available for FSX that makes the inland water a little more muddy rather than the bright blue? I have something similar for FS9 but am not sure it will work in FSX.

Thanks.

RD

I don't know about an equivalent to "inland water textures" FS9 addon for the FSX world, unfortunately.
However, using the freeware FS Water Configurator, you can fully adjust the color and the intensity of the water/reflections.
Thanks to this tool, my water has a color which can be quite dark depending on the orientation, and I'm pretty happy about that :)

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image1612.jpg

http://sapdaube.free.fr/fsx/daube_image1214.jpg

rdaniell
March 22nd, 2012, 12:49
Daube, thanks for the information. I have downloaded the tool. Now to give it a try. What you show in your screen shots is the effect I'm looking to obtain.

RD

Update: Program failed to install properly onto my computer. I tried twice. Each time when I try to run it, I get an error message telling me that the program has stopped running. But thanks anyway.

RD

Daube
March 22nd, 2012, 13:55
Strange...
Have you tried to run it with the right-click + "run as an administrator" ?
Have you tried downloading the "Lite" version instead ?

papab
March 22nd, 2012, 15:05
Get REX when you are ready
You can change inland water darker
Many combinations of shades.....

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/index.html

Rick

rdaniell
March 22nd, 2012, 16:26
Strange...
Have you tried to run it with the right-click + "run as an administrator" ?
Have you tried downloading the "Lite" version instead ?

No I have not. I afraid that when something doesn't run when I double click on the shortcut icon, I'm totally lost then. Your statement: "Have you tried to run it with the right-click + "run as an administrator?" might as well be written in Klingon or something. But, again, thanks for trying to help.

Peace+

Romeo-Delta

Bone
March 22nd, 2012, 17:35
When you go to run the program, don't double click on it like you normally do (left side mouse button). Instead, right click on it (right side mouse button), and you will get a pop up window next to the cursor. Click on "Run as Administrator". Not so Klingon-ish after all.

rdaniell
March 22nd, 2012, 17:47
When you go to run the program, don't double click on it like you normally do (left side mouse button). Instead, right click on it (right side mouse button), and you will get a pop up window next to the cursor. Click on "Run as Administrator". Not so Klingon-ish after all.

Did exactly what you suggested. Here's the result....

Bone
March 22nd, 2012, 17:50
Uninstall it, then when you reinstall do the "Run as Administrator" when you execute the installer.

rdaniell
March 22nd, 2012, 18:19
Uninstall it, then when you reinstall do the "Run as Administrator" when you execute the installer.

Tried that. Still NO JOY! Get the same message when I try to run it using your directions above.

To all of you who have tried to help me with this question: Thanks a bunch. Especially to you Bone for sticking with me; however, I'm throwing in the towel on this project for the time being. I did mess with the sliders in FSX and set it to low x1 or something like that. The water is somewhat darker but with less definition.
That will just have to do for the time being.

Romeo-Delta OUT

orionll
March 22nd, 2012, 18:20
Actually, this is a known issue that occurs on some computers. Reinstalling, no matter how many times, will not help. The only workaround is to use FSWC Lite, which will allow you to install the presets, but not allow for manual customization via sliders.

rdaniell
March 22nd, 2012, 18:29
Actually, this is a known issue that occurs on some computers. Reinstalling, no matter how many times, will not help. The only workaround is to use FSWC Lite, which will allow you to install the presets, but not allow for manual customization via sliders.

Thanks Orionll. At least I haven't lost touch with reality...LOL. I really hate to admit this but, I downloaded the Lite version and couldn't figure out how to work it either. Now if someone would just upload a couple modified bmp files like in FS9 where all I have to do is paste them somewhere and overwrite the existing files, I just might be able to pull that off....:icon_lol:

RD

greenie
March 22nd, 2012, 19:50
Just checking...I believe its not compatible with shader3 mods if your running that.

Emile
March 22nd, 2012, 22:10
Hello,
I confirm , it is NOT compatible with Shader 3.
I did remove shader 3.

Daube
March 23rd, 2012, 02:13

Yes, this is also the conclusion I came to after reading some feedbacks in the FSWC support forums.
The "FSWC Lite" program is the alternative, and the simmers who could not run the "normal" FSWC (they got the same error popup "stopped working") could successfully use FSWC Lite. The difference is that in FSWC Lite, you cannot adjust the water settings "precisely" with sliders. You can only choose some "presets".

Daube
March 23rd, 2012, 02:28
I have never used FSWC Lite, but I have downloaded it to see how it works.
As FSX is not installed on my actual computer, I cannot "use" the software. However I took a look to the files and the documentation, and I understood how to use it. Here are some simple explanations:
- the presets are all stored into the FSWC folder. You can see them by yourself, each of these folders also contain some preview screenshots. If you want darker water, the preset "Ashton Favorite Setting" will surely please you. That's also the one I used (and tweaked, since I could use the full FSWC) for my FSX.
- you should indeed run FSWC lite by right-clicking the program, and choosing "run as an administrator".
- when the program runs, you can see a button 'set custom shader'. By pressing this button, a window appears to let you navigate to one of the presets. So for example, you'll have to navigate to the folder "Ashton Favortie settings", select the water20.fx file there, and press Open.

And that's all, you can start your FSX now :)

rdaniell
March 23rd, 2012, 03:05
I have never used FSWC Lite, but I have downloaded it to see how it works. As FSX is not installed on my actual computer, I cannot "use" the software. However I took a look to the files and the documentation, and I understood how to use it. Here are some simple explanations: - the presets are all stored into the FSWC folder. You can see them by yourself, each of these folders also contain some preview screenshots. If you want darker water, the preset "Ashton Favorite Setting" will surely please you. That's also the one I used (and tweaked, since I could use the full FSWC) for my FSX. - you should indeed run FSWC lite by right-clicking the program, and choosing "run as an administrator". - when the program runs, you can see a button 'set custom shader'. By pressing this button, a window appears to let you navigate to one of the presets. So for example, you'll have to navigate to the folder "Ashton Favortie settings", select the water20.fx file there, and press Open. And that's all, you can start your FSX now :)

Well Daube, you probabley won't believe this but, I now have darker water thanks to your help on how to use FSWC Lite. I would like for it to be a little more "brownish" in color; nevertheless, it sure beats the default color.

And in addition to Daube, thanks again to everyone who responded to my question.

RD

Daube
March 23rd, 2012, 05:51
Excellent news :) Glad we could help.

orionll
March 23rd, 2012, 09:13
Daube, if you like, you can upload a copy of the Water20.fxh file from your Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\Terrain folder, so rdaniell can install it via FSWC Lite.

Also, for others without the so called "Kevin's Bug of D00m" (don't ask why, that's what Ashton (the developer) named it), you can share your FSWC preset at the Striking Software Community FSWC Profiles board (http://www.strikingsoftware.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0) (a very underutilized part of their forum, if you ask me).

Daube
March 23rd, 2012, 10:02
Daube, if you like, you can upload a copy of the Water20.fxh file from your Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\Terrain folder, so rdaniell can install it via FSWC Lite.

Also, for others without the so called "Kevin's Bug of D00m" (don't ask why, that's what Ashton (the developer) named it), you can share your FSWC preset at the Striking Software Community FSWC Profiles board (http://www.strikingsoftware.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0) (a very underutilized part of their forum, if you ask me).

Thanks for the tip. I have sent this file to RDaniell some minutes ago, but I was fearing that perhaps this file was not enough, and that perhaps the FSWC program was also writting some stuff somewhere, or modifying some other files etc... Now it's clear that the water20.fxh is enough :)
... or is it ? He just needs to place this file directly in his \Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\Terrain\ folder, right ? Or is it mandatory to go through FSWC lite ?

rdaniell
March 23rd, 2012, 10:38
I made a new folder and named it "Daube." I placed the Water20.fhx file in it. Then place the folder in the FSWC Lite preset main folder. Then I installed it using FSWC Lite. Worked great. And as I just wrote Daube, now as we say down here in South Georgia, "I'm as happy as a pig in slop."

RD

orionll
March 23rd, 2012, 11:09
Thanks for the tip. I have sent this file to RDaniell some minutes ago, but I was fearing that perhaps this file was not enough, and that perhaps the FSWC program was also writting some stuff somewhere, or modifying some other files etc... Now it's clear that the water20.fxh is enough :)
... or is it ? He just needs to place this file directly in his \Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\Terrain\ folder, right ? Or is it mandatory to go through FSWC lite ?

If you do it manually, in addition to backing up the original and copying the file to Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\Terrain, you'll need to clear the shader cache. All FSWC Lite does is provide a convenient interface to do all the file IO for you.

rdaniell
March 23rd, 2012, 11:13
Now that I've got a handle on FSWC Lite, I've discovered that if you are planning on flying someplace like down around the Gulf of Mexico, you can swap presets before you fire up FSX and have water more closely resembling what you would see in real life. Then you can just swap back to a different preset for flying around where there are rivers, etc. Just makes the whole simming experience that much more enjoyable.

Really a great tool. Thanks to the developer(s) (Orion ) for sharing your talents.

Romeo-Delta

orionll
March 23rd, 2012, 11:27
Now that I've got a handle on FSWC Lite, I've discovered that if you are planning on flying someplace like down around the Gulf of Mexico, you can swap presets before you fire up FSX and have water more closely resembling what you would see in real life. Then you can just swap back to a different preset for flying around where there are rivers, etc. Just makes the whole simming experience that much more enjoyable.

Really a great tool. Thanks to the developer(s) (Orion ) for sharing your talents.

Romeo-Delta

Yep! If you're running DX9, you can even change presets while in flight (DX10 Preview requires the simulator to be restarted). Just press Alt+Enter to toggle fullscreen, swap your shader, then Alt+Enter to get back to fullscreen. If you're in windowed mode, just resize the window. Both toggling fullscreen and resizing the window will cause FSX to rebuild the shader cache, thus reflecting your new settings.

Really the thanks go out to Paul for writing all the shader mods, and Ashton, the programmer of the original FSWC.